Chapter 20

Delaying the Inevitable

“Ji Hyo – yah?”
“Mmm?”

“What are we going to tell Kwang Soo?”
“Hmmm… I hadn’t thought of that.” She mused as she sipped on her iced Americano. “I mean we’ve hung out a couple of times so it’s not weird.” Ji Hyo reasoned, but she couldn’t wash away the sense of guilt that she felt. She tried to convince herself that she had every right to not tell the members – after all, she was an adult and after 7 years of having what she thought was a one – sided crush Ji Hyo wanted to keep the relationship slow, but at the same time she felt like that her family – both biological and the Running Man family – had a right to know.

“We’ll tell them when the time is right Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook held her hand, reassuring her as if he read her mind. Maybe it was because he knew her so well or because they were so alike. Either way, Jong Kook slowly caressed her hand, making Ji Hyo feel reassured, as he continued to drive on the motorway.

“We’ll just say that you need to get a present for your brother’s birthday.”
However, Ji Hyo shook her head strongly, not agreeing with the plan that Jong Kook offered. “Kwang Soo knows that Sung Moon*’s birthday was a few weeks ago.”
“Maybe say that you’re helping me find one of my niece’s birthday present then?” Jong Kook changed his plan, to which Ji Hyo debated before nodding her head in agreement.

“But oppa… when will we tell the members? I don’t want them to feel betrayed when we eventually tell them – they’re basically family to us.”
“I know how you feel but I don’t mind. As long as you’re happy in the relationship and you feel comfortable telling them then we’ll tell them.”

“I just want to take it slow for now… I guess we can tell them after a few months.”
“Then we’ll do that.” He promised. “I’m sure the hyungs and everyone else would understand us not telling them immediately. Might be a little pissed but they’ll come around eventually.”
“I guess so. Aren’t we meant to meet Kwang Soo round here?” She looked around the area to find the shopping centre in which they – more like Jong Kook – had agreed to meet.

“Looks like it. We should probably park the car and then meet him inside.” So Jong Kook went to the underground parking but was caught off guard about the valet service and he knew Ji Hyo did as well. So when the two both got out of the car much to the surprise of the young adult, who couldn’t have been much older than early 20s, Jong Kook smiled and answered the question that was going through the poor boy’s head. “We’re here meeting with Kwang Soo to do some shopping.”

“It’s not that… I was wondering if I could get a photo with Ji Hyo – ssi?” The boy asked, nervously, his eyes glistening as he looked at her. However, Jong Kook got angry – he had also been a boy at that age and the only thing that really went through boys at that age was… the opposite . The way that the valet service boy’s eyes travelled up and down Ji Hyo made his hand tighten into a fist and his jaws clench.

“Of course. Jong Kook oppa can take it if you give him his phone.” Ji Hyo accepted, seemingly oblivious to the boy’s thoughts, leaving Jong Kook no choice but to comply. He couldn’t exactly refuse in front of his girlfriend and getting angry would only arise more suspicions. So, he took the photo, reluctantly, and hated how the boy’s arm went around her waist and could see the momentary shock in her eyes. He quickly took the photo and saw how Ji Hyo immediately thanked the boy as she took her place next to her boyfriend, feeling protected next to him – to be fair it was hard not to with his big frame but all the same. They immediately went to the elevator as Jong Kook resisted every urge to take her hand or to just show the boy that he was her boyfriend and that Ji Hyo was off limits. As soon as the elevator doors closed, Ji Hyo held his hands tightly as she hugged him, knowing that he was beyond angry from his body language, hoping that he would relieve some of it.

“You’re mine Ji Hyo – yah and no – one else’s. I’m not losing you to some 20 – something year old after 7 years.” Jong Kook spat out his words as he hugged her tightly, intending not to let her go.

“I know oppa.” Ji Hyo soothed, rubbing his back.

“The way he looked at you was…” Jong Kook shuddered. “I know what went through his mind and no way in hell is any other man touching you in that way.”

“I know oppa. Only you can because I’m your girlfriend and no – one else’s.” Ji Hyo whispered, emphasising the fact that she was his girlfriend. Honestly, she hadn’t seen Jong Kook so protective and so it had shocked her, but she was glad at the same time. She felt safe knowing that he’d protect her from other men if necessary. “We’ve got to meet Kwang Soo now but we’ll talk about this after.” Ji Hyo noticed the elevator nearing their floor, to which Jong Kook only nodded and parting from the hug, but never being a meter away from her. Sensing this, Ji Hyo rubbed his back as they walked closer to Kwang Soo.

“Hyung!” Kwang Soo waved, although this attracted more attention that he had intended. Being nearly 2 meters tall, Kwang Soo often forgot that his height alone attracted attention. It was then that he saw his noona as well and was confused. “Noona? What are you doing here?” He asked as he hugged her before hugging his hyung. But he was still confused as to why his noona was there and more importantly, why they had both come together.

“Hey! Is that something to say to your noona?” Ji Hyo joked as she stood in between the two men, albeit more to Jong Kook’s side.

“I’m just surprised. How come you’re together?” The tall man asked, eyes  darting back and forth, to and fro, between his hyung and noona, trying to decipher if there was anything special between the two.

“She’s helping me find a present for my niece.” Jong Kook lied smoothly.

“I see.” Kwang Soo nodded although he didn’t believe him fully. He had known that the two had hung out before, but this time he felt something was different but unexplainable.

“What did you want to get for your sister?”

“Hopefully they’ll have it at this shop.” Kwang Soo led his hyung and noona to a nearby jewellery shop whilst discreetly getting his phone out.

Hyungs! Big news! Kwang Soo hurried to type as discreetly as possible.

What Kwang Soo – yah? A flurry of replies came in.

I was meant to meet Jong Kook – hyung to get my sister’s birthday present but he game with Ji Hyo – noona!
WHAT? Jae Suk had replied.

No way! Suk Jin exclaimed.

However, Ha Ha didn’t reply – more like couldn’t. If he replied that he was shocked as well then it’d imply that he had no idea of their relationship, which wasn’t the case. Moreover, if he had replied that he was shocked, then his hyungs would be more likely to feel a sense of betrayal versus if he didn’t.

Keep us updated Kwang Soo – yah. I’ll check my phone during breaks Jae Suk messaged the youngest member as he got back to filming whilst Suk Jin agreed as he got back to ready to go out.

 

“I was thinking of this one.” Kwang Soo showed his hyung and noona the necklace that he picked out after bowing to the ladies who worked there.

“Looks good Kwang Soo – yah.” Jong Kook nodded in approval, as he stepped to be closer to Ji Hyo, as he lightly skimmed her hand. It would have come across as natural except Kwang Soo saw. The shop was nowhere near busy – it was late morning and people were mostly at work or school – and thus he had no reason to step closer to her.

I swear these two will be the death of me. Kook hyung just stepped closer to be with noona for no reason.

Were they pushed together or something? Suk Jin inquired, as his curiosity grew.

No. That’s what makes it even more gross.

“What do you think noona?”

“I think it’ll suit her skin tone really well.” She smiled, nodding.

So, with the approval of both his hyung and noona, Kwang Soo went to pay for the necklace. Of course he kept an eye on his noona and hyung who were by the corner of the shop, whispering and laughing to themselves. That was normal, Kwang Soo thought to himself, except laughing whilst leaning into each other’s space wasn’t.

Hyung they’re still being gross. They’re laughing and being really cute.

Go for coffee after and keep us updated Kwang Soo – yah. Jae Suk suggested.

But hyung… I’d rather not have to basically third wheel. Kwang Soo groaned as he signed the card machine.

WE NEED A SPY AND YOU’RE IT. Suk Jin messaged leaving Kwang Soo with no choice, curious to know the truth between his two members. Ji Hyo was more like a daughter to him – someone who took care of him and someone that he’d always be protective of. He knew that Ji Hyo had gone through with her past boyfriends and even though they weren’t the closest members, he still treasured her like family. As for Jong Kook, Jong Kook did intimidate Suk Jin in terms of physicality but Suk Jin always knew that he’d never do anything to hurt him intentionally and that everyone that seemed harsh on – screen was only done for entertainment.

But hyung…

Maybe it was the 20 plus year friendship, but both the two married men sent a stern “No” simultaneously, making Kwang Soo feeling like this was his fate.

I wonder why Dong Hoon – hyung isn’t replying?

Maybe he’s busy with Dream or something.

Yah, quit stalling and go get us information. Jae Suk messaged, knowing what the youngest was up to.

Thus, Kwang Soo had no choice but to get the gift, thanking the young lady behind the till who flashed him a shy smile, and walk towards his hyung and noona. The newly formed couple, although only known to two people, broke out of conversation and smiled at Kwang Soo who came with his present.

“Shall we go and get coffee and something light to eat?” Kwang Soo suggested, to the two nodding as they walked together to the café on the floor upstairs. So, the three walked upstairs whilst they all engaged in conversation about Gary leaving and Ji Hyo’s drama nearly coming to an end. As Ji Hyo ordered the drinks for the men, Kwang Soo took the opportunity to ask Jong Kook about Ji Hyo as they sat down in the seats.

“Hyung, is there anything going on between you an noona?”
Jong Kook stopped scrolling on his phone. He tried to keep a poker face as he tried to come up with an answer in his head. “What?”
“You two just seem really close that’s all.”
“Of course we’re close, we’ve known each other for 7 years.” Jong Kook scoffed, which wasn’t so much of a lie. He just purely lied about the extent of how close they were, not about whether or not they were close.

“No but… you just seem closer like more than noona and I are.”
“Are you jealous?” Jong Kook chuckled.

“Of course not hyung but it’s suspicious.” Kwang Soo defended, flustered at the sudden question. He had never once seen Ji Hyo in a romantic light and merely saw her as an older sister, but he did care for her immensely.
Jong Kook was about to speak when he saw Ji Hyo carrying the drinks on a tray and thanked her internally as she sat down.

“What’s wrong Kwang Soo – yah? You look deep in thought.” Ji Hyo questioned as she sipped on her tea.

“Nothing noona.” Kwang Soo shook his head as he begged Jong Kook not to tell Ji Hyo, knowing that she would kill him if she knew what he was insinuating.

“You sure? You look like you’re thinking about something.”
“I’m fine noona.” He smiled. “Although you look really tired.”
“Filming Kwang Soo – yah. But it’ll be over in just over two weeks after the Jeju – do filming.”
“Promise me you’ll rest noona. I don’t want you fainting again.” Kwang Soo looked at Jong Kook’s reaction, trying to see whether his expression changed at all. In theory, if Jong Kook was her boyfriend, he’d be concerned. However, Jong Kook’s expression remain unchanged.
Ji Hyo chuckled but nodded anyway. Dissatisfied, Kwang Soo kept trying to come up with ideas to spark a reaction from either of his hyung or noona. In fact, it being Ji Hyo and Jong Kook made it even more annoying – they were the two members who could really control their expressions when needed. So Kwang Soo decided that he needed to frame yet again.

“Noona, I heard that you were going on a blind date next week?” That was it. Kwang Soo had dropped the bombshell, despite it being completely false. Jong Kook’s head snapped towards Ji Hyo as he put both hands under the table, clenching them into fists. No way was she planning on going on a blind date. She was his girlfriend. Meanwhile, Ji Hyo’s eyes widened like saucers as she silently cursed Kwang Soo in her mind – it was a friend of hers that was going on a blind date, not the other way round. She immediately shot daggers to Kwang Soo who shrunk under her glare as she regretted the times that she confided in Kwang Soo about her emotions about a month and a half ago.

 

“You won’t tell anyone will you Kwang Soo – yah?” Ji Hyo asked. For the past 10 minutes, she had explained to Kwang Soo about her feelings that she had for Jong Kook – about how he made her feel safe, how she was always happy with him and about a million other things that she rambled on about with Kwang Soo being the polite dongsaeng as he nodded and smiled. He had noticed the difference her smile when talking about hyung and so never interrupted her. He had witnessed the times when she came to her as she cried after finding out that her ex – boyfriend had cheated on her and how many men had abused her power as a celebrity, having with her then breaking up with her. As her dongsaeng, saying that he was angry would have been an understatement.

“I promise noona. But I can see if hyung likes you back?”
“How?”
“I have my own ways.” He smirked.

 

“Yah!” Ji Hyo kicked Kwang Soo underneath the table, jolting him back to the present. “I said my friend was going on a blind date, not me.”

“Oh…. I must have got mixed up.” He smirked from behind his cup as he met eyes with Ji Hyo with him shrinking further back into his chair. He had gotten the reaction that he wanted, even silencing the chatterbox hyung who apparently found a blank screen on his phone interesting. “Hyung, what time shall we meet for the gym later?”
“You know what Kwang Soo – yah, I’m really tired so I’m going to skip tonight. Maybe in two days?”

“Oh sure.” That was weird Kwang Soo thought to himself, he had known his hyung for over 7 years but had never known him to skip a workout at the gym, barring the times that he had been ill. “Why don’t you come with us noona?”
“Oh… maybe if I don’t have any schedules when you guys go.” Ji Hyo stuttered, sensing Jong Kook’s tension who sat beside her. In response, her slyly brushing her hand against his to reassure him. Jong Kook managed to relax a bit after that luckily, as the three chatted more before heading to a nearby clothes shop to get a gift card for Jong Kook’s niece. He felt stuck, his niece’s birthday was months away and he couldn’t get out of a lie with Kwang Soo already being suspicious. He figured that he’d just give the gift card to Ji Hyo after, as a congratulatory present for finishing her drama. After spending about 3 hours together, they decided to part with Kwang Soo citing a meeting at his company’s office. As Ji Hyo and Jong Kook headed to the car, little did they know that Kwang Soo had sent a message to his other hyungs.

Hyung! I’m pretty sure there’s something going on! Hyung and noona are too strange for just co – workers and friends.

I knew it! Jae Suk replied, although he didn’t want to believe it just in case it was false.

We’ll keep an eye on them next filming for sure. Suk Jin pipped in.

 

-----------------------

Word Count – 2890

A/N: Sung Moon – Ji Hyo’s younger brother. He appeared on Running Man twice I think? He’s also an actor at the same company as Ji Hyo’s.

Hey Runners! Hope you’re all ok!

I’ve been kind of getting into the rhythm of writing again so expect updates every two weeks at the maximum.

I haven’t been able to watch the newest episodes yet because I’ve been busy with stuff but I haven’t heard anything really bad about the episodes? What are your thoughts?

I’m going to be selfish and ask for a favour – you don’t have to at all – but I’ve written two posts on my personal Tumblr (izzipark) about racism and Asians and I’d really appreciate it if you could have a look at it. I just thought it was an important issue to raise. But you don’t have to!
Keep safe and healthy and until next time!