Chapter 3

Delaying the Inevitable

“You sure like my company huh?” Jong Kook teased, causing Ji Hyo to rolled her eyes.

“Take the offer or leave it.” She sing – songed as she skipped her way to the elevator.

“Wait!” Jong Kook yelled as he ran to catch her up, smiling at her childishness. Working together on Running Man enabled Jong Kook to fully appreciate Ji Hyo as she was hard – working, professional and set out to achieve what she wanted to. However, knowing her so closely outside of work also enabled him to observe her childishness which came out, such as when Running Man were celebrating their 5th year anniversary and the crew had hired a night-time outdoor carnival. In truth, Jong Kook preferred to see her childish side as she seemed more carefree and happy which made her even more beautiful, if possible, and of course made it more difficult for Jong Kook not to fall head over heels for her.

They entered the elevator with Jong Kook pushing in the password to Ji Hyo’s apartment as Ji Hyo trailed behind him, chuckling to herself at the fact that Jong Kook knew her password. They entered where Ji Hyo went straight to the kitchen as Jong Kook went to put her bag in her room.

“Boricha* ok oppa?”

“Perfect!”

Ji Hyo finished making the tea and bought it to the living room, setting it on the living room table where Jong Kook had sat, flicking through the television channels.

The two talked through the night as they reminisced about their past, laughing at the hilarious and embarrassing stories that came about whilst filming Running Man in the early days. They laughed together at the absurdity of how they were really awkward when Running Man was still in its early days and how it took Ji Hyo little over a year to feel comfortable in confiding and talking comfortably with Jong Kook. Then talk turned to work, with Jong Kook giving another small lecture about the risks of over – working oneself with Ji Hyo rolling her eye in response.

“Oppa you need to sleep for your work as well.” Ji Hyo lightly chastised Jong Kook as he had yawned countless times within the last five minutes.

“Touché. But it’s because I’m working on the new album.”

“I can’t wait for it! But please, for the sake of humanity and your self – esteem, do not go back to the fashion you had back in the late 90s.” Ji Hyo teased.

“Hey! That was very fashionable at the time! And I'll have you know that I was handsome then hence the fans.” Jong Kook protested.

“Oh I have no doubt that was fashionable although I think the fans preferred Jung Nam oppa. I know I did.” Ji Hyo smirked.

Jong Kook's head snapped up in response. There was no way on this earth that Ji Hyo liked Jung Nam over him. “You're kidding right?“ To which Ji Hyo shook her head. Jong Kook then leant over and proceeded to tickle her causing Ji Hyo to let out a small scream, squirming under his antics.

“Oppa stop!” Ji Hyo protested, hoping that Jong Kook would stop.

“Admit that I was more handsome then I will.” Jong Kook laughed.

“Never!” Ji hyo laughed.

“Not going to back down huh? Maybe if I do this?” Jong Kook said as he intensified his tickling on Ji Hyo as she squirmed under his grasp.

“Ok ok! You were more handsome than Jung Nam oppa!” Ji Hyo shouted, half truthful but half because she couldn’t stand Jong Kook’s tickling. As soon as he heard those words Jong Kook immediately stopped and calmed down as they both turned their attention to sipping their respective teas.

“Are you dating anyone Ji Hyo – yah?” Jong – Kook suddenly asked, causing Ji Hyo to snap her head up in surprise.
I’m not because I want you to be my boyfriend she thought to herself. “No oppa.” Ji Hyo laughed. “I would tell you if I was.” She added, taking a big gulp of her tea.

“Nice to know that you value me as a friend enough to tell me about your love life.” Jong Kook laughed. More like nice to know that you’re not he thought, unconsciously breathing a sigh of relief.

“What about you oppa? Didn’t you say that you wanted to get married soon?”

“I can only get married if I meet the right person Ji Hyo – yah. You know that.” Jong Kook sighed. It was true that he wanted to settle down and watch his children grow up, but he had yet to find the right woman. However, he had found the right woman, just that he had never had the guts to ask the woman sitting next to him out on an official date, afraid of tainting her image as an actress.

“I can set you up with Soo Kyung.” Ji Hyo teased, hoping that her status as an actress would help to successfully hide her jealousy.

“I’m all right.” Jong Kook patted her hand, grateful that she would try anything to help him achieve happiness and the fact that he wanted an excuse to touch her. “I already like someone.” Jong Kook confessed, closely observing Ji Hyo’s reaction.

Ji Hyo unconsciously felt her heart break as she heard Jong Kook confess that he already liked another girl. Like Jong Kook, she had started to grow more attached to him over the years of filming Running Man and was hoping that Jong Kook felt the same way. Despite her attraction to Jong Kook, she knew that for the sake of their, and the other members, professional careers that dating each other would spark a lot of backlash. Consequently, she had learnt to put her feelings to one side as she helplessly watched by the side lines as she witnessed the person that she had grown to love being paired with numerous female guests by the members and the PDs, much to her displeasure. Of course, she never verbalised or expressed these feelings, not wanting her true feelings to be known by the other members, but she couldn’t portray her put aside feelings into actions. On days where her muscular member was paired up, in an attempt to increase viewer ratings, she would always be quiet, quieter than usual, and would do her best to excuse herself from work dinners after filming had ended, citing that she was tired or had early filming the next day. The times when she used feeling ill as an excuse, she was met with the worries of members and staff as they clambered towards her, like a swarm of bees flying to the nectar. However, all the times when she had excused herself, she had failed to notice Jong Kook’s saddened expressions at the thought of her not being present as he would have to force smiles with the female guests and other members as his thoughts would continually drift to Ji Hyo. He would have to force smiles as he longed for Ji Hyo’s laughs as he laughed at the member’s lame jokes and would long for the touch of her skin as she would touch his hand accidently whilst passing the condiments around which resulted in a shy sorry as she ducked her head. She would also fail to notice Jong Kook’s desire to be next to her as he gravitated towards her, especially when she had announced that felt ill, wanting to do his best to comfort her. He had thought about driving her home personally but knew that it made no sense as they were opposite sides of the Han River, so would stir questions and suspicions from rest of the members.

“You do? Spill!” Ji Hyo pushed, reminding anyone who watched the scene from the sidelines of a giddy teenage girl.

“You look like a teenager listening to their best friend talk about their first crush.” Jong Kook chuckled, laughing at her cute playfulness. “But there’s nothing much to talk about.”

“Oh come one! You can’t say you like someone then not say anything oppa!” Ji Hyo protested, making Jong Kook chuckle at her cute expression, the exact replica of his young nephew when they didn’t get what they wanted. “Do you know her well?” She asked, giggling when he replied with a curt nod. It was true; Jong Kook knew Ji Hyo well. Extremely well in fact. He knew the typical things such as her favourite food, favourite colour, that she loved to sleep, favourite song. However, he also knew that when she was deeply concentrating, her eyebrows would knit together and her lips would purse together tightly. He also knew that her competitiveness had decreased over the years as she turned up to Running Man with a desire to have fun as she grew closer to her Running Man family and not necessarily having to win. He also knew that she would only eat waffles if there was some syrup in every square and that when placing her groceries on the conveyer belt, she would place them as if she was playing Tetris, fitting every item nicely and snugly. He knew that she was also really OCD with her desk at home and that if anything was out of line, even by one centimetre, this would often bother Ji Hyo.

“You have to confess your feelings to her oppa! She’s a really lucky girl.” Ji Hyo encouraged, gripping her tea cup harder as she suppressed her jealously.

“Not that simple Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook sighed, as he put his cup down on the table. “She’s one my best friends and dating her officially will just ruin that friendship.”

“But it’s better to confess that watch her possibly get taken by another man oppa.”

“But…”

“No buts oppa. You need to confess to her. The worst that can happen is that she says no.”
“And destroys our friendship.” Jong Kook murmured, refusing to meet Ji Hyo in the eye.

“Even if that happens you’ll meet another woman but she would be stupid not to. You’re everything a woman looks for in a man. You’re suave, funny, caring, attractive, mature, have a good sense of humour, selfless, loyal, ambitious, protective and many more. Plus, you’re the type to love a woman despite her flaws and imperfections which all woman crave for, but little get.” Ji Hyo smiled sadly, reminiscing about her past failed relationships, leaving her to be single and ready to meet someone special.

“You’ll find someone too Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook rubbed Ji Hyo’s hand comfortingly. I just wish that was me he thought to himself. “You’re the ideal type for a lot of men as well so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.” He smiled.

 

------------------

Word count - 1797

A/N: Boricha – roasted barley tea. It’s a popular tea in Korea, served both hot and cold.

I'm really sorry for the delay!! I've just moved into university (college) so things have been really hectic. I'll try my best to update again in about a week or so!