Chapter 24

Delaying the Inevitable

Filming after that was relatively easy – maybe from riding off from the good mood that she was in thanks to the girls – despite having to be hit on the cheek repeatedly from Soo Kyung, who played her on – screen sister. It was a good drama that she had decided to work on – the perfect combination of writers, directors, producers and cast which made filming 12 hour days almost a breeze – and one which was doing well ratings wise. They only had 3 episodes left to shoot, including the one in Jeju Island, and despite having such a good time filming and getting to know loads of people, she was looking forward to the break. She looked forward to the times when she could sleep until noon and then eat ramyeon (not telling Jong Kook of course) and then go back to sleep. She looked forward to the days where she could give her body some rest and time to recuperate from having to attend 5am shoots and shoot all through the night. It also meant that she could spend more time with her boyfriend, doing whatever couples did, which until a few days ago wasn’t at the forefront of her mind.

 

“Thank you!” The director yelled, signalling the end of Ji Hyo’s shoot for the day, meaning that she could get home now. Before leaving, the director had reminded them of the last work gathering once the last filming had ended and another one for the last broadcast of the drama.

“Unni, some of us are going for dinner now. Want to come?” Soo Kyung invited.

“I promised that I’d have dinner with my parents.” She lied, although Dong Wook sent a knowing look to Ji Hyo as he stood in the background, as he silently put on his coat. In actual fact, her parents were abroad on a trip that Ji Hyo and her younger siblings had gifted them with as a present for their anniversary. Honestly, Ji Hyo just wanted the evening to herself for a date – with Netflix, pizza and a can of beer (or two… or three). But of course, Soo Kyung didn’t need to know that.

“Oh it’s a shame… if you already have plans then guess we’ll see you next time.” She shrugged, although disappointment was evident. Filming the drama meant that the two had gotten fond of each other, with Soo Kyung calling Ji Hyo for advice frequently.

“Sorry Soo Kyung – ah. Next time yeah?”
“Yeah unni. Oppa!” She headed to her manager, leaving Dong Wook to talk to Ji Hyo.

“I know what you’re going to say but I didn’t technically lie.” Ji Hyo sighed.

“No, just the fact that you’re having dinner with your boyfriend.”
“Shh!” Ji Hyo hushed, looking around frantically to make sure that no – one heard. “From the absence of any texts, he’s busy working on his new album.”
“Oh? So Netflix I guess?”
“Don’t forget pizza – very important.” Ji Hyo winked.

“I’ll cover for you.” Dong Wook nodded, sending her off first, understanding that Ji Hyo wanted some alone time.

“Thanks Dong Wook – ah. I’ll see you next time.” She left and met her manager by the car outside, who promptly drove her home. Looking outside the window, she was comforted by of orange, reds and yellow that mixed perfectly together to create a sunset that was picturesque. It was also one that stirred nostalgia for Ji Hyo – many memories floating through her mind. Specifically the day before and the whipped cream fight with Jong Kook and how close they were to kissing. It had honestly been at the forefront of her mind since Jong Kook had left the night before and had been the reason as to why she had got up later than usual – because all her mind could reply the night before, when she had really tried to sleep, was how close the two were and how y Jong Kook had looked. His hair was slightly haphazard from the running around and chasing Ji Hyo yet it was perfectly imperfect – his hair strands were out of place yet he didn’t look scruffy at all. Jong Kook’s bit lip only showed his hesitation – and that he was thinking about it – and also made his lips more irresistible. His eyes which darted back and forth between Ji Hyo’s eyes and lips made Ji Hyo sure that he had been thinking about it too. It only made her question as to why he didn’t act upon it as it was something that the both had obviously wanted – even if it wasn’t said so by words, their quickened shallow breathing, their quickened heartbeats that both could practically hear and the thick tension that hung around the room, everything else showed it.

On the other side of the Han River and driving in his car, the couple must really have been destined for each other, because Jong Kook was thinking about the same thing and he should have maybe used the opportunity. It was tempting – her alluring lips with stains of her red lipstick which trembled at the closeness, only looked much more inviting to Jong Kook. He knew that just angling his head a bit would mean that his lips would touch hers, something that he so desperately wanted to do in that moment but restrained himself from doing, out of courtesy. It really had taken all his might not to – he had asked Ji Hyo, through eye contact mind you, if she would let him kiss her and he honestly wanted to.

After being dropped off by her manager, and after bidding farewell, she quickly made her way upstairs, looking forward to having a relaxing evening. It wasn’t until she had got into her apartment that she noticed something was strange. The dimmed lights for one but also the sultry jazz music which came from the living room and filled the entire house.

“Hello?” She asked cautiously, setting her bag down, only to be met with a silence. Not an eerie one seen in movies but one that was comfortably uncomfortable, one that made her heartbeat quicken in anticipation and one that made her lips curl up into a smile as the music changed into “It’s Fortunate” by Lee Juck, just like the time when that same song filled the apartment a couple of days ago.

Ji Hyo followed the music into the living room where she was met with a dinner which had been prepared on the rose petal decorated table, in between the two candles. Ji Hyo broke out into a big smile at the sight of seeing Jong Kook had stood next to the door, helping her take her jacket off as he presented her with a single red rose.

“Hey Ji Hyo – yah.” He stepped closer to give her a kiss on the cheek after a moment’s hesitation, something that wasn’t so awkward anymore yet still caused Ji Hyo to blush profusely, before escorting her to the chair after pulling her into a tight hug. Ji Hyo tried to speak, but a reassuring smile from Jong Kook meant that she trusted him, not questioning his motives. “Wine?” A small simple nod conveyed her answer as he poured some for her and a little for himself, little as in enough for one sip – he at least wanted to toast with Ji Hyo (and the fact that a little wine had some health benefits). 

“To us Ji Hyo – yah, and to your drama in the hopes that it finishes well.” Jong Kook toasted, raising his glass before Ji Hyo clinked it in agreement.

“Did you make this oppa?” Ji Hyo asked as she started to eat her dinner, some chicken pasta. Not forgetting the side serving of salad of course.
“Mm – hmm.”

“It’s really delicious. You should teach me the recipe one time.”

“Why do you sound so surprised?” Jong Kook chuckled. “Although teaching you the recipe means spending more time with you.” He smirked much to Ji Hyo’s amusement – trust Jong Kook .
The two made small talk as they both ate the pasta that he had made as Ji Hyo told Jong Kook about the day that she had and vice versa. The talk easily flowed, just like the jazz music which filled the room, and the dimmed lights added to the intimacy.

“I thought you were busy with your album?”
“I know but I missed you.” He said sheepishly, half embarrassed at the absurdity of missing someone whom he kept in contact with everyday and saw once a week for filming.

“You saw me last night oppa.” Ji Hyo chuckled, taking a sip of her wine.

“I know but still.” He pouted, causing a shy smile from Ji Hyo. It was obvious that Jong Kook cared for her – evident from the way he looked at her, the way he’d smile a smile that was reserved for her, the way he’d catch her from falling amongst other actions – and Ji Hyo felt safe knowing that. She was nearly drunk on happiness knowing that she could make him so happy from just being next to him, going on dates with him and being his girlfriend. Making him happy meant that she was also happy – happiness being dependent on each other and the source of each other’s happiness.

Dinner finished smoothly as they talked more about recent works before they moved dessert to the couch – a lemon tart with a scoop of ice cream.

“You did not make this oppa.” Ji Hyo smirked. Of course Jong Kook tried to protest – wanting to impress her – yet one look at her stern face told him otherwise.

“I may have bought it from the bakery a few blocks away.” He admitted sheepishly.

“You mean the one next to the bank?”

“Stop adding salt to my wound.” Jong Kook huffed.

“If only fans knew that you’re like a child outside of filming.” Ji Hyo chuckled. Contrary to popular belief, Jong Kook was basically a big child – excited by a lot of things, curious and a chatterbox.

“You still date me for me.” He stuck his tongue out, reaffirming Ji Hyo’s point. The two drank coffee as they watched a horror film – Wishing Stairs*.

“I swear that you’ve seen this film before at premieres and know the story since this is your film.” Jong Kook chuckled as he fed her some sweets that they had got out.

“I don’t get that scared!” She protested, just as a frightening scene came out causing her to jump back more into Jong Kook’s embrace. Jong Kook used the opportunity to get closer to Ji Hyo of course – pulling her closer whenever she screamed or jumped up in shock even though she was sitting in between his legs, leaning against him as Jong Kook rested his head on her shoulder.

“You were saying?” Jong Kook commented, earning a small nudge from Ji Hyo. “Who’s the kid now?” Jong Kook moved his hands to her sides, causing a small jolt from her much to Jong Kook’s amusement. “You’re beautiful you know that?” Jong Kook whispered, distracting her from the film as he traced random patterns softly on her exposed skin from the hem of her t – shirt that had risen up. The skin on skin contact took Ji Hyo by surprise and she inhaled a sharp breath, trying her best to focus on what was now just a blur of moving images on a screen in front of her.

“Hmmm.” She hummed.

“I’m serious you know. You’re beautiful.”

“Huh?”
“I know that you stopped watching since you got scared Ji Hyo – yah.” He mumbled.

“Why do you have to know everything?” Ji Hyo groaned, not finding it fair that Jong Kook seemed to know absolutely everything.
“Special powers.” He winked back.

“Oh?”

“Yeah! Like Superman and Spiderman.”

“Hate to break it to you oppa but you’re more like Thor.” Ji Hyo chuckled as she leaned in further to Jong Kook’s chest.

“Thor’s always cool.”
“But there’s also the main question.” Ji Hyo had now turned around so that she faced him as he tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear, sending an electric spark through her body from the sudden touch.
“Hmmm?”

“I doubt that your muscles could fit into Spandex oppa.” Ji Hyo had just about managed to say before bursting out into laughter much to Jong Kook’s dismay, having to reluctantly agree inside his head without giving her the satisfaction of admitting that she was right. “Although I’d like to see you try.”

“Wow…”
“What?”
“I didn’t know you were the type Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook wriggled his eyebrows making Ji Hyo to blush like a tomato in embarrassment and avoiding his eyes. It wasn’t because of what he had said but more because she had thought about doing what he implied. Not necessarily him being in Spandex per se, just more that he had been right in guessing what she liked. Despite being a private person, she was also a person who surprised people – in particular men. Which was exactly the reason as to why she was so caught off – guard but of course she couldn’t give him that satisfaction – she had to upkeep her pride at least, which is why she had to have the upper hand.

“I come with surprises… you just need to discover them.” She winked before getting off the sofa, mumbling that she needed to go to the bathroom. Unlike the night before when Jong Kook had left Ji Hyo speechless, the tables were turned this time and Jong Kook was speechless. He gulped as he tried to see whether Ji Hyo was joking or not, trying to decipher the meaning behind her words.
“Nahhh… she wouldn’t.” He brushed it off, knowing that Ji Hyo wouldn’t suggest something that ual merely a couple of days into the relationship. But then he remembered Ji Hyo’s cheekiness, especially to those that she truly liked and got along with, and re – considered his position. “Would she?” Jong Kook shook his head, thinking that what Ji Hyo implied was impossible.

 

It was, once again, Ji Hyo who suggested that Jong Kook stayed over, citing that it was late (it had just gone past 12). Jong Kook had tried to protest but Ji Hyo simply rebutted which ultimately left him no choice but to. So the couple found themselves on Ji Hyo’s bed arms wrapped around each other trying – but failing – to fall asleep.

“You should sleep,” Jong Kook mumbled, his warm breath tickling Ji Hyo’s ear.

“Look who’s speaking.”
“Touché. But get some, you had filming today.”
“But I have the day off tomorrow.” She whined.

“Just sleep Ji Hyo – yah. You need to recuperate – your body needs to recuperate.” Jong Kook groaned, hugging her tighter as to stop her from arguing again. She had always been stubborn – possibly from spending 7 years with 6 men – and would never back down if she had the right cause. It was something that Jong Kook had first noticed in Family Outing and loved it, attracting him more to her, but it also meant that she as sometimes too stubborn for her own good.

“Ok Kook – coach. Sleep tight.” Ji Hyo grumbled before planting a small kiss on his cheek, the first time that it was the other way round, which made Jong Kook grin widely, silently squeezing her hand tighter.

“Night beautiful.”

 

It was already half 3 in the morning and Jong Kook was still wide awake. Eyes open, he stared at the figure sleeping next to him. He smiled at the soft snores that escaped Ji Hyo’s lips and how she occasionally scrunched her nose or twitched her hands, showing how deep asleep she was. Jong Kook could only look on, captivated by her beauty – the sleeping beauty, literally – as he traced small patterns on her back. “God Ji Hyo – yah.” He whispered, making sure that he was careful as to not wake Ji Hyo. “I know that we’ve only been going out a short time but…” Jong Kook let out a sigh, not being able to say the words. “Just… I remember when we first met during Family Outing and I’ll admit that I didn’t know how to approach you – you were feisty, which is totally y by the way, and I’ll admit that the first year of Running Man was awkward still but over time we became closer. In the span of a couple of months you came to understand me better than anyone. You became someone that I could trust and confide in. You easily became one of my closest friends and dongsaeng yet you became more than that – you were closer than a friend but not close enough. I don’t want to say this to you yet when you’re awake but I think I fell for you during those years Ji Hyo – yah. I think that during those 7 years I fell in love with you. I love you Ji Hyo – yah and I promise to say it to you face to face one day.” He promised, more to himself than to Ji Hyo, before closing his eyes, succumbing to darkness, as he held Ji Hyo tightly. What Jong Kook had failed to notice is that Ji Hyo’s snores had ceased… from when he had started speaking.

 

-----------------------------

Word Count: 2893

A/N: Wishing Stairs – the third film out of the Whispering Corridor franchise. It’s Ji Hyo’s debut film and quite a well – known horror film in Korea.

 

Hey Runners! So I managed to write a chapter whilst at work XD
I hope you’ve all been ok? I heard that there were a lot of Spartace moments yesterday although I haven’t caught up on it yet.

Anyway, I’ll try and update as soon as possible!