Chapter 21

Delaying the Inevitable

The elevator ride back was a pain for Jong Kook; jealousy still coursed through his body and all he wanted to do was to hug Ji Hyo, or at least hold her hand. But apparently fate had other ideas, and apparently everyone was using the elevator in a department store during the weekday at noon, leaving Ji Hyo and Jong Kook squashed together. Of course, the closeness led to Jong Kook’s quickened heart rate and his mouth suddenly felt dry despite just having something to drink. It was all good for him, until the floor before they were due to get off, when a hoard of people had gotten into the elevator. Jong Kook had been squashed into a corner and had parted with Ji Hyo, reluctantly, and a man had used the opportunity to get close to Ji Hyo. Although she was wearing her mask which covered most of her face anyway, as well as having her hoodie up, so the excuse that her being a celebrity was irrelevant, which definitely didn’t excuse the close contact between the man and Ji Hyo. Thus, it could only be ascertained that the man had gotten closer to Ji Hyo due to her figure, which all men would admit that was beautiful, and that really angered him because the man was overtly ualising Ji Hyo. Even worse was the fact Jong Kook noticed the jewellery that reflected the elevator lights – his wedding band. He could see Ji Hyo’s uncomfortableness, especially at her eyes that darted to Jong Kook and around the elevator, seeing if there was another place where she could stand. Seeing that, and bearing in mind that both the couple were heavily hooded so that their faces were hidden, Jong Kook immediately took her hand and pulled her towards him, letting her take the corner. Their clothes meant Jong Kook could just about get away with interlocking Ji Hyo’s hand, reassuring her by rubbing his thumb over it, as he made sure he didn’t give an opportunity for the man to get close to his girlfriend. They immediately got off the next floor luckily, as Jong Kook dragged Ji Hyo off the elevator before waiting for the chauffeur, different to the one they had before much to Jong Kook’s luck, as Jong Kook never let go of her hand.

After thanking the chauffeur, Jong Kook immediately held Ji Hyo’s hand tightly before driving off. 

“Why was Kwang Soo talking about a blind date?” Jong Kook seethed, immediately shutting the radio off with force.

“Is my Sparta jealous?” Ji Hyo teased, much to the dismay of Jong Kook. “I told Kwang Soo my feelings about you about 2 months ago and he said that he had his own way of finding out if you liked me or not. I think this was it.”
“But still…” Jong Kook’s hand gripped the steering wheel tighter as his jaws locked together in anger. Sensing this, Ji Hyo smiled as she took his spare hand.

“Oppa, I’ve refused all blind date offers and men’s advances because I liked you. I waited for you for a reason oppa – because I like you.” Luckily, they were at a traffic light so Ji Hyo was able to look Jong Kook directly in the eyes as another way to express her sincerity. Contrary to popular belief, Jong Kook was insecure about his relationships. Maybe it was because he had been hurt in the past, like Ji Hyo, or maybe it was because he was at the age where marriage was at the forefront of his mind.

“Thank you Ji Hyo – yah. But that guy in the elevator was way out of line.” He mumbled.

“True but it’s not the first time ualisation has happened oppa.” Ji Hyo sighed, revealing the harsh but uncomfortable truth of not just being a female celebrity, but being a woman in general. “But I didn’t feel scared this time because I had you.” She smiled, recalling how Jong Kook had taken her hand possessively in the elevator – how it made her heart skip a beat and immediately made her lips curve into a small smile. Jong Kook nodded, as he gave her a quick hug before the car behind them beeped, interrupting their moment, as Jong Kook made his way back to Ji Hyo’s house. They go out as Jong Kook pressed the passcode into the house as Ji Hyo got two glasses of water before joining Jong Kook on the sofa. It could have been the fact that they had known each other for 7 years or that they were comfortable with each other despite only being in a proper relationship for a couple of days, but Ji Hyo sat next to Jong Kook and leaned on his shoulder as he wrapped his arm around her. It was definitely knowing each other for 7 years that allowed them to sit in a comfortable silence as the two watched TV. Jong Kook played with Ji Hyo’s hair as she changed positions so that she now rested her laid her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat whilst tracing non – meaningful patterns on his hand. It wasn’t until Jong Kook had asked for Ji Hyo to pass the glass of water about 5 minutes later when he had realised that Ji Hyo had fallen asleep as light snores began to come out of . Jong Kook couldn’t help but stare and smile a sad smile – it was widely known that Ji Hyo loved to sleep, but to have fallen asleep that quickly meant that she was sleep deprived because of her filming her drama. It was also at this time that Jong Kook truly appreciated Ji Hyo as his girlfriend. He remembered the times that he had questioned himself and his own feelings, even going as far as to distancing himself with Ji Hyo in an attempt to deny his feelings, because he had felt weird that he had liked someone who was meant to be like a family member. It was equally filled with heartbreak, especially when Ji Hyo had announced that she was seeing someone a couple of years back, but despite trying to move on with being in a relationship, his feelings for Ji Hyo still lingered. Thus, he had just settled for being on the sidelines as he became closer with Ji Hyo, just being a person whom she could confide with because that’s what he thought he could do at the most. Of course his protectiveness still came out, especially when male guests came on or there was too much skinship for his liking – for example, when Park Seo Joon had to do the Peppero game with Ji Hyo – or when she fangirled over said male guests. And of course his concern for Ji Hyo grew as her filmings became more intense. He knew that she had a weak immune system and so often bought her coffee before filming to wake her up and to keep warm.

Jong Kook decided that he would just sleep as well, not wanting to move her and wanting to enjoy the company with his girlfriend after 7 years, and closed his eyes, letting sleep succumb him.

 

Surprisingly it was Ji Hyo who awoke first, confused as to the heavy weight that pressed against her hands when she saw Jong Kook enveloping her as she laid against his chest. She broke out into a grin at how lucky she was to have Jong Kook as her boyfriend before moving to get her phone from the table to check for notifications.

“Stop moving.” Jong Kook grumbled, hugging her tighter as he rested his head on Ji Hyo’s shoulder, preventing her from moving. Ji Hyo giggled, which she hardly did on Running Man, at Jong Kook’s silliness.

“Who knew you’d be so childish.”

“Just for you Ji Hyo – yah, but if you tell anyone I’ll…”
“You’ll what? You can’t kill me like Kwang Soo.” She chuckled.

“True, but I can still tickle you.” He smirked, knowing how sensitive she was.

“Not fair.” She pouted but her actions betrayed her as she hugged him even closer.

“What do you want to do? We’ve got the rest of the day free.”
“I need to go over the script for tomorrow.” Ji Hyo grumbled.

“I’ll help you. I’ll play the role of Dong Wook’s character.”

“Don’t know if you’re charming enough.” Ji Hyo mumbled as she went and got the script from her room.

“I heard that!”
So the next couple of hours was spent going through Ji Hyo’s script for the following day as Jong Kook doing his best impression of Dong Wook, making his girlfriend laugh.

“Stop!” It’s been an hour and we’ve only gone through 8 pages.” She grinned, slapping him lightly on the arm as he laughed along,

“But jagiya, I promise that I’ll behave.” Jong Kook whined, impersonating Dong Wook, or at least trying to, despite Ji Hyo’s laughter.

“No.” She said sternly, as it did in the script. However, Jong Kook froze at the next line, much to Ji Hyo’s amusement.

“I’m not doing this bit.”
“But I though you wanted to help me.” Ji Ho whined, making Jong Kook contemplate.

“I do but…”
“Please oppa?” Ji Hyo whined even more, using aegyo, this time definitively making it hard for Jong Kook to refuse her. So, for his girlfriend, he took a deep breath before reciting the lines on the sheet of paper in front of him. For Ji Hyo he thought to himself.

“Jagiya… I promise I’ll behave so will you wear that top please?” Jong Kook did his best aegyo, making Ji Hyo double over in laughter, tears threatening to come out of the corner of her eyes whilst Jong Kook huffed in his seat, silently sending death glares to her. “Not funny.” He pouted, going as far as to crossing his arms and turning his back towards her. Ji Hyo laughed before moving to give him a backhug, which Jong Kook allowed of course. He held both her hands as he savoured their close proximity.

“I won’t make fun of your aegyo again… I promise.” Ji Hyo said, although she tried her hardest to hold back her laughter which made Jong Kook crack a smile. Ji Hyo moved so that she was now in front of him as she chuckled. “If it’s any consolation, I like you more when you do aegyo.”
“You do?” Jong Kook perked up, visible not only from his voice that went up but also by his whole body which changed from being hunched to being open.

“Whatever you do is handsome in my eyes oppa.”

“Ji Hyo – yah… I…”
“Yes oppa?”
“I just really thank you for agreeing to be my girlfriend. I remember when I tried to hide my feelings with you-“

“You mean when you didn’t answer my calls and refused to speak for me for about three weeks?” Ji Hyo interjected, her voice tinted with bitterness at the memory. It was arguably the time when she needed him most – she had fought with her mother and left her house in a fit of anger – yet Jong Kook didn’t pick up her calls and refused to speak to her after shooting. So, she had turned to Kwang Soo, who offered his house but ultimately she had ended up staying at her friend’s house.

“Yeah I’m sorry for that Ji Hyo – yah. Really.” He apologised, holding her hand and caressing it as Ji Hyo nodded. “But you being my girlfriend now is the best feeling in the world. You literally make me so happy that I end up smiling for no reason, and I miss you when you’re not with me. I just want to be the best boyfriend and hu–“ Jong Kook stopped himself before going on. “I mean, best boyfriend and sunbae to you.” He quickly corrected, hoping Ji Hyo hadn’t noticed the fact that he almost said the “h” word this early on in their relationship. Ji Hyo seemed none the wiser as she smiled, much to the relief of Jong Kook.

“What time is filming tomorrow?”

“Afternoon – just after lunch. It shouldn’t be too long though because it’s only short; it’s not too hard of a scene.”
“I bet it is for Dong Wook.” Jong Kook muttered.

“About that… for the drama there’s a couple of honeymoon scenes. Is that ok with you oppa?” She asked tentatively, her head low as if she had committed a sin. Jong Kook smiled at her thinking of him as he lifted her chin.

“It’s your work Ji Hyo – yah. It’s to come with your occupation.” Jong Kook shrugged. Yet he felt conflicted – of course her being an actress meant that she would have to film all sorts of scenes which he, as a fellow professional, understood. But he was also her boyfriend now and he hated the idea of another man touching her – even if it was just for a drama or even if it was Dong Wook, whom he trusted.

“I knew you’d understand oppa.” She beamed, feeling a weight lifting off her shoulders. “I’m peckish.””
“And what would you like ma’am?” He asked in a posh tone, as if he was serving a queen – which was true by all accounts as Ji Hyo was his queen.

“Hmmm… pancakes!”
Jong Kook chuckled at the childishness from Ji Hyo, glad that she felt comfortable enough to be able to open up to him, showing a completely different side to him than in front of the camera. “Ok, you look over your script and I’ll make you pancakes.”
So that was how the next hour was spent – Jong Kook in the kitchen making pancake batter and chopping fruits and Ji Hyo in the living room, scribbling notes in her script. Of course Ji Hyo had wondered why it had taken so long – after all pancakes didn’t take too long to cook – so to satisfy her curiosity she had walked into the kitchen, smiling when she saw Jong Kook trying to cut the fruits into flower shapes as the pancake cooked in the frying pan. She immediately went to backhug him, her head resting in his broad shoulders.

“You don’t have to make a flower for me oppa.” She smiled. “Especially if it means that the pancake will burn.” She went to flip it over, making Jong Kook smile sheepishly. He wasn’t a bad cook per se, just more the fact that he was in an unfamiliar kitchen trying to make everything perfect for his girlfriend. After all, it was the first food that he’d be making for her and after Ji Hyo had made such a delicious breakfast, he had wanted to at least reciprocate half of what she had done.

“Sorry Ji Hyo – yah.”
“For what?”
“This.” Jong Kook immediately put a dollop of whipped cream on Ji Hyo’s nose to Ji Hyo’s shriek mixed with his laughter which filled the entire apartment.

“Oppa!” Ji Hyo laughed as she got some, a bigger amount mind you, and smeared it across his cheeks.

“Oh this is war Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook declared.

Completely ignoring the pancake, the couple got into a whipped cream fight, ending as Jong Kook cornered Ji Hyo against the fridge, his hands resting on her hips, lips dangerously close to hers, as both their eyes met. The was impossible to ignore – in fact it had been impossible to ignore since they had met all those years ago shown through their non – stop bickering – and both Ji Hyo and Jong Kook’s heartbeats increased tenfold.

 

------------------------------

Word Count: 2610

A/N: Hi Runners! I’ve finally caught up with Running Man! I think the concept of the Dangerous Race is really good, and different, but I think it’s been dragged out far too long? Like, I thought it was the first person who got three stickers was going? But I still can’t believe how lucky Ji Hyo is! Anyway, I’m intrigued to see what happens after this is all over though. I just hope it’s as good as it’s been, and refreshing.

One thing that I’m not liking so much is the fact that they try and push Jong Kook into a loveline with a female guest like they did with Hyorin from Sistar. Whoever he ends up with is lucky and it may bring in viewers but he is a fully grown man whom, I’m sure, can do it himself.

I’ve seen loads of posts about wanting the name tag elimination race back on SNS etc. The fact is that the members have gotten older and their schedules have been busier, meaning that they’re bound to be tired. Just watching them run around so much makes me tired so I can’t imagine how tired they must be. Additionally, it comes with loads of injuries no doubt – Ha Ha even said that he was nearly paralysed from doing such physical shows including Running Man. Jong Kook has scoliosis so his spine isn’t even straight and Ji Hyo is susceptible to things like the flu. So asking them to make it worse goes against any logic?

I briefly mentioned about the ualisation of Ji Hyo in this chapter – it was in response to an anonymous ask that I received on Tumblr. The person, who I assumed to be a girl, asked for my advice on being a girl and being ualised at a work interview for a job she really needed. I said to her that no job description will include you having to get any abuse about your race, uality, disability or religion and that in that instant you should walk away – even if it is such a good job. The fact is that racism, ism and other issues still happen in the world today and that has to be addressed (I wrote more on Tumblr if you want to have a look) and so I’m sure that Ji Hyo has experienced it so that’s why I wrote about it briefly. I hope it doesn’t offend anyone 😊  

How are you all Runners? The weather’s starting to get hotter so make sure you keep hydrated and if you have allergies like me then be careful!

Next chapter should be up soon! Will they or won’t they kiss? ;) Let me know in the comments!

Until next time Runners!