Chapter 19

Delaying the Inevitable

As expected, Jong Kook was the first one to be awake. He awoke in an unfamiliar bed yet to a familiar scent. He opened his eyes to see Ji Hyo on the other side as she snored. The sun hit Ji Hyo perfectly, only adding a glow and accentuating her features. It was these moments that had Jong Kok still believing that he had a chance with Ji Hyo for 7 years. Since their first awkward interaction on Family Outing, he loved that she didn’t fit the stereotype of an actress. She was girly but was also a tomboy at the same time. Her casual clothes of jeans, a hoodie and snapback somehow brought out her beauty, coupled with minimal, if not no, make – up. Yet when she was in dresses for award shows or premieres, she expressed a different kind of beauty – one that showed elegance despite her blanking image on Running Man.

Whilst Jong Kook was deep in thought Ji Hyo, unknown to him, was already awake. Sensing that Jong Kook was already awake, she took the opportunity to bask in happiness at spending time with her boyfriend. Originally, she would be the one to put the distance especially so early on in a relationship but this time she trusted him not to anything ual.

“You’re staring.” She whispered, not moving from her side of the bed.

“I’m gazing.” He gently corrected, but smiling nonetheless.

“It’s creepy.” She smiled.

“It’s romantic.” Jong Kook to his side so that he was facing Ji Hyo properly. “Morning beautiful.” He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Morning handsome.” The two continued to lock eyes with each other as if time had stopped from them both as they cherished each other’s presence. Their bodies felt unusually warm and their hearts fluttered whilst they held hands.

“What’s on your mind Ji Hyo – yah?” He asked at her furrowed eyebrows, something she did when was deep in thought.

“You don’t think I’m… you know.”
“I’m not a mind reader.”
“It’s just… we’ve only just had our first date a couple of days ago and you’re already seen me half and we’ve shared my bed together. Doesn’t that make me easy?” Ji Hyo spilled, not noticing a small smirk from her boyfriend’s lips.

“We’re hardly a normal couple Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook chuckled, holding Ji Hyo’s hands tighter in his left hand as his right came to caress her cheek. “I’ve known you for 7 years and know pretty much everything about you. You’ve told me stuff that you haven’t even told your parents and so have I to you. I highly doubt that the same principles of normal couples apply to us but if you want to take it slow then we can. I would never force you to do something you don’t want to do. I’ve waited for 7 years, I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to wait a little longer.”
“Thank you and I’m…” Ji Hyo stuttered before trailing off. In all honesty, contrary to her exterior, she had a lot of things that she was insecure about. The main one being about herself and ism. It was a world where ism and misogyny was still widely dominant today. It was a world where being too tomboyish would result in a label of “not being a proper woman” and being too girly was “annoying”, not to mention that it was completely against her personality. She felt the brunt of it when she wore minimal clothing, such as a bikini, when she saw comments of her being ualised. She had tried to remain unfazed but ultimately it got to her. Despite a glamourous looking jo where she was able to meet lots of people, earn money and travel, there were loads of downsides with ism being one of them.

“I know Ji Hyo – yah. Tell me when you’re ready.”
“Did anyone ever tell you that you’re the best boyfriend ever?
“Nope… just you.”
“Well you’re the best boyfriend ever.”
Jong Kook chuckled at the fact that it had only been a few days, when his phone rang, ruining the moment.

“Yes Kwang Soo – yah?”
“Hyung! You’re still on for today right?
“Mmm hmm.” Jong Kook hummed with no enthusiasm. How could he when Ji Hyo was about to change in front of him. Not to mention how cute she was when she tried to stop him from peeking. Of course he didn’t peek – he wanted to respect her – but he only did it as a joke.

“So I was having a look online and the one I was meant to get…” the maknae’s voice trailed off as Ji Hyo finished changing and lied back down next to him. She lay on his chest and rested her hands on her sides, tickling him slightly. Jong Kook tried to “hmmm” at the right time but was getting distracted by Ji Hyo tickling him as well as the biggest smile that was plastered on her face.

“Hyung!”
“What?”
“You weren’t listening were you?” Kwang Soo guessed, grumbling.

“Sorry Kwang Soo – yah… I’m in the –“ Jong Kook erupted in laughter. “Shhhh Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook whispered, covering the phone in an attempt to prevent Kwang Soo from hearing. However, he had heard. And was alarmed. Surely it had to be someone with a similar name? Nevertheless, alarm bells rang in his head. He would have to ask his hyung when he met him and report it to his other hyungs.
“Sorry Kwang Soo – yah. Just tell me when I see you. See you soon!” Jong Kook hurriedly ended the call.

“Hyung, can you bring my charger?” Kwang Soo shouted, hoping that Jong Kook had heard.

“You can’t tickle me when I’m on the phone, especially to Kwang Soo!” Jong Kook cried.

“Just did.” Ji Hyo stuck her tongue out. Jong Kook contemplated what to do as he stuck his tongue in his cheek.

“Come here.” He mock threatened as Ji Hyo ran away, her laugher filling the entire apartment. Like the sun that shone brightly outside, the couple’s happiness radiated and created a light, Spring – like atmosphere.

Jong Kook of course caught Ji Hyo, where he wrapped his arms round her making her unable to move, not that she resisted. Ji Hyo spun round and hugged him tightly as she sighed in content. Right now, she was stress free and she wished that all her mornings were like this. In fact, it led to her thinking about the future… with Jong Kook.

“What do you want for breakfast?” Ji Hyo asked as she met eyes with him. Knowing him, he had been hungry for quite some time.

“Surprise me.” He winked.

“Alright… Get ready and I’ll call you after.”
Ji Hyo walked towards the kitchen as Jong Kook went to get spare clothes from his car that he always kept. It was mainly just for after he went to the gym or late night shooting or recording sessions so that he could freshen up quickly and at least half – decent to wherever he had to be. But never in his wildest dreams had he imagined that he would use it after spending a night with Ji Hyo. Well maybe he had… just not so early on in their relationship. However, he reminded himself that their relationship was hardly normal – they were two celebrities making their dates secretive and more than that, they were on the same show together making them have to be careful with their own actions in front of the others. But perhaps the most important bit was that they already knew each other inside out. They knew each other’s strengths and weaknesses as well as their respective fears. They had trusted each other to spill their own worries and concerns to each other. They had long surpassed the stage where couples got to know each other properly years ago. They long surpassed the stage when touching was awkward – they regularly did that on the show let alone when it was just the two of them together.

Jong Kook came back to the apartment and got changed in Ji Hyo’s room when he noticed a picture of her family. It seemed that they that they had a professional photoshoot with her parents sat down, their entire posture radiating proudness, whilst Ji Hyo, her younger brother and sister stood behind them. Ji Hyo’s love for her family was apparent – she always boasted about her younger siblings and always talked about buying stuff to send to her parents. It was something that Jong Kook loved about Ji Hyo – how she never forgot her roots and was always humble about her success. She always did the best for her family and the days when she argued with them would always affect her – she wasn’t as concentrated on shooting or she would daydream and space out – more than usual anyway. Sitting next to the picture of her own family was a picture of what she regarded as her second family – the Running Man cast and crew. Different to the picture by the door, it was taken after one of the days when filming had wrapped up early – it had been Ji Hyo’s birthday then coincidentally. The pair held the biggest grins on their faces as Ji Hyo sat on Jong Kook’s lap as the 150+ cast and crew gathered to pose for the picture, although it had been a tight squeeze. Jong Kook’s hand naturally went around Ji Hyo’s waist to prevent her from falling – although she was seated on his lap – as Ji Hyo’s arms wrapped around his neck for “more stability.” Jae Suk was the first to witness and rolled his eyes at two of the people he treasured most and how they were so oblivious with their feelings yet so naive to each other’s. It was ironic to him – and the rest of the cast and crew mind you – that two people who could identify if someone was following of them during a chase instantly couldn’t recognise each other’s feelings that had been shown over the course of 7 years. Despite the close proximity – which influenced 90% of the wide smiles that was held – it was also the fact that none of them had expected the show to have lasted so long. Of course the staff had a major part in coming up with new ideas every week to entertain audiences and abide by Health and Safety laws, but it was mainly the member’s close relationship with each other that had carried the show when ratings were low. The fans however, undoubtedly, were the ones who really made the show work, giving strength and support to the members when times were hard and giving encouragement and love when times were stable. Although the pictures should have been the focal point, it was a small piece of paper that caught Jong Kook’s eyes. Being curious, he opened it and smiled at Ji Hyo’s innocence. On it was listed a 10-point bucket list of things that she wanted to do with her future boyfriend. Jong Kook made a mental note of the points as he read through them. It was cliché things that you would see in a movie such as going to the fairground and wear matching couple shoes, but one thing struck him – “Get married and be happy.” It pained Jong Kook to know that although content, Ji Hyo never considered herself to be happy all these years despite the memories that she would have had. It made him more determined to fulfil the last – and arguably the most important – point in the list.

“Oppa, breakfast is ready.” Ji Hyo shouted, as Jong Kook quickly adjusted his hair in the mirror before going to her. To his surprise, Jong Kook faced what could rival a breakfast buffer in a five – star hotel. Far from what he expected, he saw what seemed like an infinite number of dishes placed on the table – ranging from traditional Korean side dishes that Ji Hyo had made the week previous. To keep with his health and diet, Ji Hyo had cut some fruit which were placed next the rice, meat patties, stir – fried anchovies and stir – fried squid, to name a few.

“Wow Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook was left speechless. “You didn’t need to do all this. I would have just been fine with my protein shake.” Jong Kook smiled, yet his body betrayed him. His stomach rumbled making Ji Hyo give him a questioning look as he gave a small grin.

“Uh huh.”
They both proceeded to sit at the table as they ate – with Jong Kook’s stomach not growling anymore – as they both talked about Gary’s decision to leave the cast. Of course Gary had talked to all the members individually and both Ji Hyo and Jong Kook expressed their initial sorrow. However, initial shock, anger and betrayal was soon taken over by understanding as they realised that Gary wanted a path as a musician, not as an entertainer. It would of course be strange to not seeing him every week but they knew that they’d all meet up from time to time. After Ji Hyo had gotten ready, opting for comfort over fashion as she wore a hoodie and some jeans, the pair headed out to meet Kwang Soo.

Jong Kook waited in the car whilst Ji Hyo ran into the café to get some coffee for the hour journey to meet their dongsaeng. Ji Hyo the radio and chuckled as his song “Loveable” came on. The pair both sung along as Ji Hyo did the arm movements as Jong Kook broke out into a grin as he watched. He had always known his girlfriend to be calm so to see her break out of her shell from all those years ago made him extremely happy. Ji Hyo was very much a private person except to those that she was really friends with. He had remembered the time when Ji Hyo barely spoke a word during an entire episode and awkward with all the members. Now, she was really the only member who could control all the men – using tricks that she had acquired over the years. Of all the members, Jong Kook was the easiest and the most surprising to the other members, with the only other person able to control him being his mother. Jong Kook had also changed as well, with his talkative personality shining through not to mention his endless coaching. His seemingly aggressive nature was replaced by his caring nature – although his endless coaching gave fellow team and cast members stress from time to time.

 

-------------------------------------------------

Word Count – 2451

A/N: Hey runners! I’ve finally finished exams! I’m so glad that they’re over. That means I’ve got the entire summer off so will be updating more. I do however have an internship in July so I’ll see how busy that gets.

 

I’ve been keeping up with Running Man and I have to say that the members have grown on me a bit. The concept of the global race is good and something that hasn’t been done before (to my knowledge anyway) in Korean variety shows. I love Ji Hyo being more active! I feel like having a second female cast member has really put her at ease and to be honest you do need change once in a while to keep things refreshed which is what So Min and Sechan do. I find that So Min is a female Kwang Soo – however I do find parts of her annoying. I don’t like that fact that manipulated Jae Suk to pay that much – it was funny the first time but she has to remember that he’s the Nation’s MC and that she’s a new member. That being said, she’s really just… crazy. As for Sechan I feel like he still needs to find his own character but give him time and I’m sure he will. I just can’t believe how unlucky he is though XD

I’ve seen a lot of comments about So Min and Sechan and I’ve said this before. I wish people would stop comparing the members. Both Ji Hyo and Somin have their own charms and in all honesty Somin coming on had made Ji Hyo more talkative and outgoing. She seems a lot calmer at the fact that there's another girl with her - being with an all male cast for 7 years would have been tough. Ji Hyo seems to care for Somin as well like an older sister and Somin looks like she'll learn a lot from Ji Hyo. No member is perfect in RM and all members will work like a puzzle - filling in each other's flaws to make a completed picture at the end. Comparing one member to another when in reality all members are bound to be close is childish and never the behaviour of a true fan.

I’ve also heard a lot about Gary. Honestly I’m conflicted. I understand that he wants to live his own life but changing your number and not telling people with whom you’ve spent every week with for the past 6 years (and in Ha Ha’s case more because I think they were friends before RM started?) is a bit weird. I don’t know – loyalty is really important to me – but I’m sure he’ll get in contact with them somehow.

Anyway, enjoy this chapter and it’ll get better soon. I’ve been writing whilst running on 3 hours sleep ahahha. Until next time!