Chapter 13

Delaying the Inevitable

“So can I take you out on a date tomorrow evening?” Jong Kook asked but instead of answering, Ji Hyo smiled widely causing Jong Kook to his head in confusion. “Why are you smiling like that?”
“Just. I’ve been waiting for years for you to ask me that question.”

“And now. I’ll take you on loads of dates.”

“Oh?”
“Yeah. Wherever you want – beach, city, mountain, Han river… you pick and I’ll take you there.” He promised.

“As long as I’m with you then I’m fine with anything oppa.” Ji Hyo answered as she leaned leaned into Jong Kook more as he played with her hair.

“You know we have to tell the members soon.” He mindlessly said. Ji Hyo sighed. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to tell the members, more that she was worried about how they’d react. Suk Jin was almost like a father figure to her so naturally he’d be protective over her when it came to men. Jae Suk had always favoured Ji Hyo since Family Outing and had always been the one to take care of her when filming for Running Man were long or when they filmed in the cold. Gary, despite playing the role of the Monday Boyfriend, only saw Ji Hyo as a younger sister yet it couldn’t be denied that his role on the show meant that he had become close to Ji Hyo. Ha Ha had always felt sorry for Ji Hyo as she took her place as the sole female and as one of the youngest in the cast yet she was the one that took care of all the members, staff and guests and was the one often conceding to them to better their image. Kwang Soo, despite being younger, was the one that Ji Hyo often went to when she as upset and had been the one to offer both professional and personal advice to him. It was their relationship that could easily define a true sibling relationship and was one that was treasured a lot by Kwang Soo as he saw her as his true older sister. Being the one that was called during the early days of Running Man because she felt that she couldn’t fit in with the members had meant that he was often also the witness of a lot of Ji Hyo’s problems and lowest and darkest moments. Since then, Kwang Soo had vowed to himself that he would make sure that she would go out with men that was worthy of her.

“I know, but I just want to keep us a secret for now.”

“Why? They’re hardly in a position to threaten me.” He chuckled.

“True but I just want to keep it to ourselves for now. We can tell them once time has gone by.” She lied effortlessly.

“Ji Hyo – yah. I’ve known you for over 6 years. What’s the real reason?” He asked as he turned towards her as he took her hands into his, caressing it.

“I guess it’s because I haven’t had a lot of great past relationships but I don’t want to tell them and then it end between us because that’ll just make it awkward for-“ Ji Hyo babbled as tears collected in her eye making Jong Kook smile a small smile which didn’t go unnoticed by Ji Hyo. “Why are you smiling like that?” Ji Hyo asked, repeating Jong Kook’s earlier question as she tried to avoid Jong Kook’s eye contact in embarrassment. Jong Kook crouched down on the floor and positioned himself so that he was now opposite of Ji Hyo before taking her small hands into his, clasping them with both hands tightly.

“Ji Hyo – yah. Look at me.” He commanded softly. “I, albeit idiotically, have finally got you to be my girlfriend after 6 and a bit years so trust me when I say that I will never let you go. It’s true that you’ve had your fair share of bad relationships but you’ve got to kiss a few frogs before meeting your prince. I can’t promise that we’ll never argue because I’m sure we will but I do promise that I won’t run away and that we’ll always talk it out.” As Jong Kook was speaking, Ji Hyo’s tears trickled down her cheeks before Jong Kook wiped them away as he pulled her into a hug, her hair.

“I bet I look like a right mess huh?” She sniffed, chuckling softly.
“You look beautiful. But I do need to get up soon or my calves will cramp.” Jong Kook laughed as they made themselves comfortable on the sofa as Ji Hyo leaned back on Jong Kook as his fingers naturally came up to play with her hair again.

“Thank you oppa.” She whispered as she leaned her head back on his chest. “I can’t wait for tomorrow oppa.”
“Why?” Jong Kook asked, a warm and fuzzy feeling filling him as he was happy at the prospect of Ji Hyo being excited about their first date, of course reminding him that he needed to get everything sorted.

“Got filming with Dong Wook.” Ji Hyo said nonchalantly causing Jong Kook’s smile to turn into a small frown as his lips pursed tightly together.

“Yah! You can’t favour your co – star over your own boyfriend!” Jong Kook joked as he tickled her sides as she resisted. The two fell onto the floor with Jong Kook’s fast reflexes meaning that he was able to break his fall and not crushing Ji Hyo completely. However, even his fast reflexes couldn’t stop the deep gaze between Ji Hyo and Jong Kook and the silent conversation that they had. It was as if time had stopped and they, although had only been an official couple for a mere 3 and a half hours, were comfortable with each other.

“Oppa.” Ji Hyo asked as she bit her lips in nervousness.

“Hmm?”
“I-“ She was cut off by the ringtone of Jong Kook’s phone alerting him to an incoming call which Jong Kook silently cursed in his head to the owner as he got up to get it. He cursed internally even more when he saw the caller ID.

“Yeah?”
“Hyung! How’d it go?”
“Dong Hoon – ah. I love you but you’re timing is impeccable.” He spit as he tried to stop Ji Hyo from washing the dishes. Of course she didn’t listen.

“Huh?”
“I’m saying that you’re calling at the worst time.”
It took Ha Ha a moment before realisation hit him. “Ohhhhhhh. I guess I’ll call later then.”
“Yeah.” Jong Kook ended the call before shaking his head. He wasn’t angry at Dong Hoon of course but he couldn’t help but laugh at his dongsaeong’s timing to call. As he walked back towards the living room he smiled as he heard Ji Hyo humming to “Men Are All Like That” before his smile turned into a sad one. His thoughts relayed to when Ji Hyo had cried in front of him a couple of minutes ago as she confessed that her past failed relationships had meant that she was wary. It was understandable of course as Jong Kook’s thoughts flickered back to the times when she would come to Running Man with swollen eyes, them being evidence that she had cried herself to sleep the previous night. Or when Jong Kook had overheard Ji Hyo confessing to Kwang Soo that she had been cheated on previously and that she had to carry on as if nothing had happened for weeks. But as much as he wanted to personally go to hers and comfort her (and to get the address of the guy to punch him once… or thrice), he knew that Ji Hyo had opted to tell only Kwang Soo for a reason, thus Jong Kook had to go to the gym instead where he punched his anger on the punching bag until his knuckles bled. So when the next time they filmed Running Man and Ji Hyo questioned Jong Kook’s bruised knuckles, he would lie that he had fallen whilst helping his mum carry delivery boxes to hers.

“You didn’t have to clean them all up Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook came walking into the kitchen earning a small chuckle from her.

“If I didn’t then you would have left it until the day after tomorrow.” Jong Kook froze in his spot as Ji Hyo laughed victoriously. Clearly, knowing someone for over 6 years had its perks.

“Guilty.” Jong Kook murmured.

“I’m going to head home now.” Jong Kook immediately went and backhugged her causing Ji Hyo to laugh, literally music to his ears.

“You can’t now.” He whispered, tickling Ji Hyo’s ears in the process.

“Aigoo.* You’re like a 3 year old.” She ly to see Jong Kook pouting like a 3-year-old as he put his arms around her, pulling her in. “I’ll see you tomorrow anyway for our date. Plus I need sleep before filming tomorrow.”
“Ooh. What scene?”
“I think it’s the honeymoon scene with Dong Wook.” As soon as Jong Kook heard Dong Wook’s name and honeymoon in the same sentence, Jong Kook frowned and his hands that were resting on Ji Hyo’s waist balled into fists, not going unnoticed by Ji Hyo. “Oh relax. It’s only a drama.” She assured as she went to get her bag and coat.

“But still.” Jong Kook whined as they walked towards the door, passing the petals and candles again.

“Still nothing.” Ji Hyo turned around to Jong Kook after using Jong Kook’s arm to balance to put on her boots. “Anyway, the scenes I’m filming have got nothing to do with what I’d do on my honeymoon anyway.” She smirked as Jong Kook raised his eyebrows in suspicion. It couldn’t have been what he thought she was insinuating.
“Good.” Jong Kook deadpanned.

“I’ll see you tomorrow jealous Sparta.” Ji Hyo smiled as she nuzzled her head into Jong Kook’s chest.

“Bye beautiful. Sweet dreams.” Jong Kook whispered as the pair got lost in each other’s embrace again before Ji Hyo left, though reluctantly after they reached an agreement that she would message him when she got home as Ji Hyo protested to him taking her down to her car.

As soon as he saw Ji Hyo drive away from his window Jong Kook was still left with a big smile on his face as he began to jump up and down in joy, after he had shut his curtain of course. His body coursed with endorphins as if he had just finished a 2-hour workout as he automatically broke out into the biggest smile. He excitedly ran to call Dong Hoon, wanting to share his news.

“Hyung, I’m so sor-“

“She said yes!” He interjected, patient wearing thin as Ha Ha rambled on and apologising.

“What?”
“I don’t know why but everything worked so much better than in my dreams and she said yes and we’re going on our first date tomorrow. Which reminds me that I need to prepare for tomorrow because it’s the first date and I can’t-“

“Hyung!” Ha Ha shouted, causing Jong Kook to shut up immediately. Never in their 10 plus years of friendship had Ha Ha raised his voice. It was partially down to Ha Ha respecting his hyung and sunbae as well as his protruding muscles but also because Jong Kook had never given him a reason to. In hindsight however, it may have been more the muscles…

“Did you just shout?”
“You were rambling.” Ha Ha shrugged which was felt on the side of the phone despite their distance. “Anyway, I’m happy for you hyung. I told you things would go well.”
“I couldn’t have done it without you Dong Hoon – ah.”
“No worries hyung. You should probably prepare for tomorrow though hyung.”
“I will. Keep your phone on though. I may need a favour from you.”
“Anything.” Jong Kook promptly ended the phone call with a big smile as he then proceeded to call his various contacts whilst repeating the situation that he was in. One of his old high school friends had sincerely congratulated Jong Kook whilst he agreed to leave his restaurant early to come to the agreed place whilst one of his hoobae’s* who had since let the entertainment business agreed to decorate, promising not to forget the necessary stuff for tomorrow.

His call to Jong Myung however was by far the longest.

“Finally.” Jong Myung had simply said with a shrug when Jong Kook told him what had happened just some mere hours ago leaving Jong Kook to be confused. He failed to understand how his hyung could simply shrug when Jong Kook had just asked out the woman who made him so elated. How could the person who had always hinted at Jong Kook to ask Ji Hyo out in the background could be so composed after years of encouragement.

“Is that all you’re going to say?”
“What do you want me to say?” It wasn’t that Jong Myung wasn’t happy – of course he was – but their relationship had never been so close. They could confide in each other when needed and had never fully fought, but of course they had bickered, yet their relationship had always been to the point that they had a comfortable distance between them. Even if they were distanced, they still contacted each other often and shared concerns they had and stuff. It was his hyung whom Jong Kook had talked to when he had first been faced with the controversy surrounding his military conscription and his back. It was his hyung that Jong Kook talked to when he had faced numerous conerns surrounding his character on Running Man as “Sparta”, “Commander” and “Tiger”. He was always grateful for his fellow members, the staff and especially the fans yet he had always struggled when, because of his character on the show, he had to go against s, who were like family to him. It was especially hard when he had to keep up his image of being almost an invincible opponent when his back had started to hurt more. It was his hyung whom he had gone with to countless pojangmacha’s* where he spilt his feelings for Ji Hyo over food and soju. It was at these times when Jong Kook had really agonised whether to tell Ji Hyo or not which often went back and forth, like a metronome. Whenever he saw Ji Hyo with other male guests on Running Man, he vowed that he would, yet his spontaneous courage would disappear when he thought about their 7 year friendship.
“I don’t know. Something like congratulations of that you’re happy for me?”
“I’ll say it when you announce your engagement?”
“Hyung!”
“What?”
“No fair.”
“That’s life kid.” Jong Myung chuckled.

“I’m hardly a kid.” Jong Kook scoffed in defence.

“You’ll always be in my eyes, brother of mine.” Jong Myung smirked as Jong Kook scoffed. “What are you planning to do on your first date?”
“I’ve got an idea hyung, don’t worry.”
“I wasn’t. I trust you with women Jong Kook – ah. Plus, with the way you’re acting it seems like Ji Hyo’s the only woman that you’ve truly liked in all these years.”
“Thanks hyung.”

“Do you need my help for tomorrow or are you set?”
“Do you have the old fairy lights from the kids’ room?”
“Probably hidden away somewhere. Do you want them?”
“Yeah.”
“I’ll drop them off before I head to work tomorrow.”
“Thanks hyung. I’ll let you sleep.” Jong Kook ended the call as he smiled a knowing smile as he headed to bed. He had a feeling that he would be busy tomorrow and was glad that he had no schedules for the rest of the week.

 

-------------------------

Word Count: 2635

A/N: *Aigoo – word to show frustration and often used whilst sighing in Korean. English equivalent is probably something like “Aw man!” or “geez”.

Hoobae – opposite to sunbae. Someone who debuted after someone in something. In this instance and the story I’m just going to use a singer who left the entertainment industry to go into interior design.

Pojangmacha – basically a street stall in a tent often serving hot food, and especially foods that go well with alcohol.

 

Hi Runners! Hope you’ve been good?

 

So I’m sure that you’ve all heard the news that Running Man isn’t being cancelled anymore? I’m really mixed about this though… Like I’m really happy that it’s not being cancelled and all but I’m still really angry at SBS for blatantly blindsiding two members and having the cheek to bring them back and carry on as normal? Also, I really wanted the members to just have a break from all the physical stuff that come with the show? But anyway, I can’t change much but again my greatest respect for Jong Kook and Ji Hyo for coming back for the fans even when they didn’t need to – SBS can bloody take a leaf out of their book and learn. All I wish is that they do stuff that’s actually exciting? Like bring back some of the old games (like spies, one chance missions etc) and the occasional name tag elimination game. I’m not saying they have to do it every week but maybe do variations of it? Anyway, that’s my opinion and I guess we’ll have to see what happens but all we can do is support the members because they’ve been through all this hurt and decided to come back for us fans. And SBS can learn a thing or two about loyalty and family.

 

I’ve also opened up my request box on Tumblr (spartaceistheace.tumblr.com) for any requests after this fic finishes. Although I won’t finish this fic anytime soon, I’m opening requests now so that I can write them and upload them – and also gives me time to edit. More details are on the Request Box page!


Just wanted to let you know that I’ve posted another survey (see link below) on whether you wanted me to write scenes (e.g ) in future chapters. They wouldn’t be essential for the story development and possibly just hinted at in another chapter and I would always leave a warning just in case. I would probably avoid anything that’s triggering as such (e.g mentions about abuse etc) just because I don’t think it works with the story. Please do let me know as I’ve already had requests but was hesitant about it. As always, results are anonymous! I can’t track you down at all! XD

 

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/QH573HD