Chapter 11

Delaying the Inevitable

After dropping Ji Hyo home that night, and politely refusing her offer of staying over at hers citing that he had work to do early in the morning, he went home straight away and began searching on the Internet and ordered some stuff before heading to bed.

In the morning, he gave a call to Haha.

“Hyung!” HaHa answered, juggling some food for his son, Dream, in one hand and a cup of slightly cooled down coffee in the other whilst he leaned his head where his phone was pressed against his ear.

“Dong Hoon – ah! Are you free to talk?”

“Of course hyung! What do you need? Dream – ah, eat slowly please.” He told his 3 year old son making Jong Kook chuckle. Of course Jong Kook had thought about having his own family, ideally with Ji Hyo but he kept that a secret, and loved the idea of sitting in the living room with them whilst watching TV. He could imagine how Ji Hyo and he would alternate cooking as to relieve each other’s stress and how he would willingly volunteer to wake up in the middle of the night to take care of their child. He would willingly cut down on his workouts to be with his family as they’d go and visit the aquarium or go to the beach. Jong Kook smiled whilst thinking about it, which only made him more sure of confessing.

“I wanted to know if you had a keyboard that I could borrow?”

“Urm sure hyung. Can I ask why?” Jong Kook sighed – he was most worried of telling his Running Man family about his idea and debated.

“I’ll tell when you give it to me. Are you free today?”

“Sure. I’ll bring Dream with me later. I think he misses you.” Ha Ha told him, making Jong Kook smile.

“Actually you can come over for lunch later. I’ve got stuff to do until then.”

“Sure hyung. If you need me to get anything then text me. See you later hyung. Dream’s decided to play with his food.” Ha Ha sighed as Jong Kook bid his farewell. After the call ended, Jong Kook got a piece of paper from the drawer next to the couch and ticked something off on his list before smiling. He had 1 down, 3 to go.

It was 2 hours later when his delivery came and he signed it happily, despite the confused face the delivery man pulled. He set the two boxes in his room before grabbing his car keys and heading out. Now it was 2 down, 2 to go.

He stopped by at the local café to order a cup of iced tea from the barista before heading towards the florists that was across the road.

“Hello! How can I help you?” The florist asked. She looked around the age of 50, making her older than Jong Kook. Jong Kook could see the tiredness that was apparent under her eyes and the wrinkles that started to become more prominent. Yet, her eyes radiated warmth as well as being wise which she gained through her years.

“Yeah I wanted to send some flowers for my mum please.”

“What’s the occasion?”

“Just to say thanks.”

“Lilies and roses are good.”

“Then a bouquet of that will be perfect please.”

“Anything else?” She asked, to which Jong Kook hesitated slightly but answered anyway.

“Could I have 14 roses as well please?”
“Someone special?” Of course Jong Kook couldn’t lie because Ji Hyo was more than special. It’s just that Ji Hyo was too blind to notice or Jong Kook was late in realising that.

“Something like that.”

“Seems like she is.” The woman smiled knowingly.

“Excuse me?”

“I understand. You’re a celebrity so you have to be careful but this woman seems to have gotten to you really badly. When a man is in love he shows it through his eyes. She must be really special to you.”

“She is.” Jong Kook smiled. “But I’d appreciate it if you didn’t tell anyone.”

“Of course! But only if you take a picture with me.” She winked getting  a laugh from Jong Kook who promptly took a picture with her before paying, and leaving a good tip, as he walked back to the car. Now it was 3 down, 1 final one to go.

Jong Kook then drove to his mother’s house to deliver the flowers. It wasn’t a special occasion of such, but Jong Kook had felt that he owed a lot of thanks to his mother. She had helped him, despite her initial objections, to become a singer and had shaped him to be the man that he is today. She taught him how to respect woman, something that he would finally be able to utilise fully and he taught him how to treat his elders.

When he arrived, he let himself in, only to be greeted by his hyung.

“Hyung! Didn’t know you’d be here.”
“Took the day off to help mum move throw out some stuff.” His hyung told him, moving out of the way to let him in, when he noticed the flowers in Jong Kook’s hands. “Aw you shouldn’t have.”

“For mum.” Jong Kook chuckled.

“Are you going to tell her about Ji Hyo or something? She likes her so I wouldn’t worry.”

“No hyung. I haven’t asked her out yet.” 

“Yet? Implies that you will.” Jong Kook’s hyung pointed out.

“Tell you later.” Jong Kook promised as he searched for his mum. “Mum!” He hugged her before sitting down next to her and giving her the flowers to which she blushed.

“My son! What’s the occasion?”

“Nothing much. I just thought of you and wanted to thank you for everything.” He told her before kissing her on the cheek as Jong Kook’s hyung, Jong Myung, smiled. It was true that compared to Jong Kook, he had been the one that did well at school which their mother always bragged about. Yet, it was Jong Kook whom his mother always favoured despite being called into school often for his mischievous doings. He never minded much of course, he knew that their mother loved them both equally, which she had reassured often. He had seen how, from an early age, that she had unconsciously leant on Jong Kook and turned to him as a source of strength due to life with a man from the military.

“I’ll put these in a jar.” Jong Myung said as he left his younger brother and his mother to talk.

“Jong Kook – ah. How have you been doing these days? Is your back ok?”

“I’m good mum and Ji Hyo’s been giving me massages during filming so it’s ok.”

“Ji Hyo huh?” Her mum casually spoke, with no meaning behind the words, yet they were enough to Jong Kook’s muscles to tense. He had heard about mother’s intuition but he had known that it would be so scarily accurate. He had made a conscious decision the night before not to tell his mum about Ji Hyo yet only to fear disappointing her again if things were not to go according to plan.
“Mum…”

“What? She seems like a nice woman that’s all.”
“That’s because she is.” Jong Kook rebutted, leaving her to sigh. She was beyond happy when Jong Myung told her that he wanted to get married and even happier when he told her that his wife with pregnant. But she had always wanted Jong Kook to get married. In truth, she often looked at her youngest with sadness, of course with pride as well, but she had often felt sorry that he had back problems and had to lead the tough life that he did. She knew that despite his fans, he also had haters even for something that shouldn’t be given that much attention, something that was often over exaggerated. So naturally, she wanted a woman that would make Jong Kook happy. Although she understood that Jong Kook was happy with his family, she also wanted him to be happy with his woman.

“Did you want to stay for lunch son?” His mother asked, changing the topic.

“No, I told Dong Hoon that he could come to mine for lunch. I only wanted to drop this off and talk to hyung. Dong Hoon wanted to talk about surgery or something.”

“Sure. I think he went into the study.” Jong Kook got up, leaving her mother to watch the TV, and walked towards the study where he saw his hyung was collecting all the books and putting them in boxes.

“Do you need help?” Jong Kook asked.

“Nah. This is the last one I think.” Jong Myung told him as he put the books he had collected into boxes. “You’re going to ask Ji Hyo out soon aren’t you?”

“No… how- how did you know?” Jong Kook asked, stuttering.

“Hyung’s know these thing. Plus, I went to take one of the boxes out and I saw the roses in your car.”

Jong Kook smiled. Truthfully, he was relieved. Relieved that someone other than him knew about his plans and his feelings for Ji Hyo.

“Yeah I am hyung.” He sighed. “Just don’t tell mum for the time being.”
“Hah.” Jong Myung scoffed. “Do you think I told mum the day after I asked my wife out?” He chuckled softly, as he walked up to Jong Kook. “Don’t worry Kook – ah. Your secret’s safe with me.” He patted his shoulder.

“Thanks hyung. Right, I’m off. Got to get the last of the things I need and then get to mine before Dong Hoon comes.”

“Let me know how it goes yeah?” His hyung smiled. Seeing Jong Kook act so nervous made him happy and reminded me of himself before he asked his wife out and when he proposed. But it was also a sign that he truly cared for Ji Hyo, something that Jong Myung had never seen Jong Kook act with other women. It was obvious that he had loved other women that Jong Kook had dated previously, but being in love with someone was completely different – something that Jong Kook didn’t notice yet.

“Naturally.” Jong Kook chuckled before he left, after bidding goodbye to his mother.

He headed towards the nearest homeware store where he bought the lights before heading home after picking up some ingredients on the way. He smiled as he his playlist to find BTS’s “Blanket Kick” playing as he related to the lyrics of the song. He considered himself to be a person who saw the best in others and got along with a lot of people yet in front of Ji Hyo, despite knowing her for over 7 years, he became a shy, awkward teenager about to ask out their first crush.

He got home, only to find Ha Ha there, albeit struggling to balance what seemed to be Dream’s toys and the keyboard, making Jong Kook chuckle before running to help and entering the code to his flat. He took the keyboard up, with Ha Ha following whilst holding Dream’s hand.

“Hyung!” Ha Ha hugged Jong Kook as they got inside his apartment before Ha Ha preceded to take off his son’s coat and shoes as he ran to the living room, with a car in his hand. Ha Ha did however notice the bags that Jong Kook was carrying. “Urmm hyung. Why do you have roses in your bag? I mean you’re great and all but I’m married hyung. And I’m not gay.”

“What? Yah!” Jong Kook hit Ha Ha’s arm. “I’ll tell you over lunch.” Jong Kook promised before putting them in his rooms, next to the boxes that were delivered earlier in the day.

As Ha Ha played with his son, something to do with cars and a lot of “vroom” and “whoosh” noises that Jong Kook didn’t understand, Jong Kook made lunch for him and Ha Ha. It was only a simple pasta, salmon for Ha Ha and chicken for himself, during which he also made them juice.

“So what are all the bags?” Ha Ha asked.

“Right you cannot tell anyone. Promise me Dong Hoon – ah.” Jong Kook told him seriously. Even though Ha Ha was known for his outgoing and playful personality, he was also a person that knew when to be serious and this one of the mood’s when he knew that he had to be serious. It was especially true as he knew that Jong Kook didn’t tell his feelings to people easily.

Sensing Jong Kook’s seriousness, Ha Ha nodded. “Course hyung.”

“I’m planning to ask Ji Hyo out tomorrow.” He told Ha Ha who only responded with silence. It would be a lie to say that he didn’t expect it but Ji Hyo was also like a sister to him so it would also be a lie to say that he was protective. He had known her long enough to know that she had gone through enough hurt and that she wasn’t used to a lot of praise and that despite her acting tough, that she was a sensitive soul and was more hurt by those closest to her rather than people she didn’t know. 

“I’m happy for you hyung.” Ha Ha smiled sincerely. Likewise with knowing Jong Kook for over 10 years, he had known how his past relationships with women went. He would often be the one that was left disappointed and he hated that because Ha Ha knew that Jong Kook was one of the people that deserved a good relationship the most. “But even though you’re my hyung, you do know if you hurt her you’ll be forced to eat junk food. I’d say die but even the 6 of us can’t even get close.” He chuckled.

“Of course. I had only expected that to be honest.” Jong Kook chuckled. “But you’re ok with it?”
“Of course hyung. My second two favourite people are together.” Ha Ha smiled.

“Who’s your favourite?” Jong Kook asked.

“Jealous hyung?” Ha Ha chuckled, earning a small chuckled from him. Ha Ha never took Jong Kook to be the jealous type but it was only when he saw him with Ji Hyo did he know that Jong Kook did have that side. Truthfully, it was when he saw Jong Kook had that side that he knew that Jong Kook had found the woman that made him genuinely happy. It was only so subtle but knowing him for over 10 years had its advantages. It made him able to see Jong Kook’s jaws clench when a male got too close, even if it was Dong Wook who was one of Ji Hyo’s closest friends and thus the actions were explainable, or when Jong Kook’s muscles tensed when a male guest would talk to Ji Hyo during lunch. It was especially noticeable to him when Ji Hyo and a male guest were partnered up and on the same team, just the two of them, and the missions required piggybacks or “Protect the Queen” dodgeball and Jong Kook avoided eye contact and suddenly found the landscape or the ground more interesting than missions that would be more advantageous to him. “Dream is the first of course hyung.”

“What about your wife?”

“Oh yeah. Don’t tell her that I said that.” Ha Ha quickly added making Jong Kook chuckle. He had known Ha Ha for years and had known that he had his playboy tendencies which were quickly shut down as soon as he met Go Eun. It was true that he hadn’t known until he had attended Ha Ha’s father’s birthday celebrations but thinking about it in hindsight, he had to admit that there was a change in his behaviour prior to him announcing it.

After a couple of hours, Ha Ha left with a peace of mind, knowing that tomorrow was the day that Jong Kook would confess. He knew that Ji Hyo would love the confession and was able to go home with his son, knowing that the two people who were close to him and deserved happiness would get them.  

 

Jong Kook woke up the next day unusually early, at half 3 in the morning, and was considerably nervous. He had spent half the night counting the exact number of roses, petals and even drew a plan of how he’d lay them out. Even his sleep was plagued with nightmares of it turning into a disaster as Jong Kook would trip and then set the place on fire, or that Ji Hyo would have an aghast expression on her face which would leave Jong Kook utterly humiliated. But nevertheless, Jong Kook got up and had his daily juice before looking at his list and setting out with the first thing.

It was about 4 hours later when he had got a text from Ha Ha, wishing him luck, which gave him strength. It was the reaction of the members that made Jong Kook so hesitant in confessing to Ji Hyo so having a positive reaction from one member was a huge step in the right direction in his eyes. He could understand Ha Ha’s hesitant reaction because all the members were family and being the only female cast member naturally made all the males have a protective stance over her.

Whilst he was in the midst of putting the tea lights in the glass holders he received a call from Ji Hyo.

“Ji Hyo – yah! It’s half 9 in the morning, I’m surprised you’re up so early.” He teased.

“Funny oppa.” Ji Hyo deadpanned. “I guess I’ll just call Gary oppa to go to the new restaurant with me then.”

“No no no wait Ji Hyo – yah! You know I was kidding right?” Jong Kook laughed to which she laughed as well.

“Whatever oppa. I was wondering if you were busy today?”

“Not that I know of. Why?

“Just one of my manager’s friend has opened a new restaurant so I wanted to visit and since going on my own looks a bit-“

“I’d love to Ji Hyo – yah.” He smiled, allowing Ji Hyo to breath a sigh of relief. Everyone knew that Ji Hyo was close with all the members yet she was closest with Jong Kook but she still felt nervous whenever she asked Jong Kook to do something in fear of rejection.

“Great! I’ll get ready and then come to yours. My manager left the car with me today.”

“So that’ll be in about 5 hours then?”
“Oppa! You’re so mean to me.” Ji Hyo pouted with a cute voice that only made Jong Kook weak. At that moment, no girl group aegyo could ever come first in a contest with Ji Hyo.

“I’m kidding. Tell you what, I’ll pay for the food later.” He chuckled, giving into her cuteness.

“See you soon oppa… In about an hour!” Jong Kook chuckled as he ended the call. Although unexpected, he welcomed the opportunity to have dinner with her and couldn’t thank God anymore as he felt everything piece together. He excitedly picked up his phone to call Dong Hoon.

“Dong Hoon ah. Can you come to mine to do your thing for about 3 hours time? Perfect. Thanks Dong Hoon – ah. I appreciate it a lot.”

Now everything was set. And if everything went according to plan, then Jong Kook would be the happiest man on the planet. And if not… well he didn’t really want to think about it.

 

------------------

Word Count – 3242

A/N – I hope you’ve had a good time since I’ve last updated! So I really agonised a lot over how Jong Kook would confess to a girl that he likes and only decided to settle on the romantic way because of a close guy friend that I know. I hope I do him justice but he seems the type that would give all he has to a girl he likes?

I watched the most recent episode. I loved it! I feel as if Ji Hyo's been underrated so having an episode to herself was really nice to see :) Especially the "I'm Sorry, Thank You and I Love You" section. It was really nice to see them talking heart to heart even though half of it got cut out -_- Anyway, there’s not been that much drama apart from the fact that Jong Kook’s special for the “Member’s Week” for Running Man involves him having a date. -.- Just let him find his own love life? Like whether it’s with Ji Hyo or not he’s old enough to find his own woman for crying out loud. What really annoys me most is forcing people to get a girlfriend/boyfriend. Just let them live as they want for crying out loud.

I only subtly mentioned surgery when Jong Kook was speaking to his mum and that Ha Ha was asking about surgery. I only touched on it but one of Ha Ha’s interviews really touched me. With Running Man being such a physical show, it’s almost inevitable that the members will get injured/ill. It’s everyone’s knowledge that Jong Kook has curved spine (see his IG post), Gary has a bad disc, Jae Suk and Suk Jin’s age has started to catch up with them, Ha Ha is probably exhausted from taking care of his family (plus his wife is due to have their second child in about 2 months?), Ji Hyo gets ill/exhausted often due to her low immune system (see episode 332) and Kwang Soo often falls (although we find it funny I’m sure it’ll be painful to him). The fact that despite all these injuries and illnesses, the members put the viewers and our humour first makes me so touched. Yes I’m sad that Running Man is ending soon but I’m also happy that it’ll give their bodies time to recuperate.

I was meant to post this last week but I was on holiday and the internet was so bad. -.-

I’m back at university so will be settling back down again so may be busy but I promise the wait be worth it in the next chapter! It may or may not have something to do with confessing!!! ;)

Anyways, until next time Runners!