XV. FAMILY

Not Enough
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
NOT ENOUGH: Chapter 15

 

FAMILY

 

An heir is made to succeed the throne. Every kingdom, every empire, it needs someone capable to handle the responsibility. To lead the people who look up to their ruler just like what they are supposed to do in the first place. As per which the Veiss Empire is not different from all the hierarchy the human beings made to put an emphasis since inception. But they are vampires, an entity that can live forever, does an appearance of a successor needed when the ruler itself can live forever? The thing that everyone fears the most, the reality of death, has never been a problem for such creation.

 

But the gods did a mistake, and as the solution of producing an heir makes every path to the perfect world became wider, the place of the reigning King grew narrower. Perhaps, their position in the empire is only an advisor. A councilor ready for every question of the heir.

 

Siege stood solemnly by the veranda in Jessica’s empty room. Lacey used to be so beautiful during the night. The chattering of the students makes him happy in some odd sense of way, it feels like home. The flicker of lights coming from the dorms, only made the fuzzy feeling in his heart swell as he smiles at the thought of the memories being made inside, between the happy and sad hearts of the roommates. It is always trivial, the sentences being uttered just to feel the void in every conversation, but Siege finds it endearing. The ability to hear the rant of his students about the first period classes that starts at exactly 7:30. Those annoying teachers that barraged them with projects and quizzes.

 

But as he scanned the grounds, the flicker of lights is gone. So as the chattering. There are no students in the park, they are all gone. His second family is gone. And that moment of realization made the headmaster, no matter how mighty he is, no matter how powerful, succumbed at the loneliness. At the guilt. All of the families have been taken care of, it is a bad thing to do but it is also a way to spare them from the ugly truth. The realm of fantasy where they belong is not yet ready. And as much as the headmaster’s conscience filled him with every piece of opposition, the students’ memory in every mind of those human beings who knew them must be erased. It is a burden but letting go is sometimes a brave act of those who wished for the better good.

 

“Lovely night isn’t it?”

 

 She is indeed moving fast.  Siege reckoned that there is no good that will come out in just evading the problem that needs to be solved. Taeyeon is immortal, and time can’t help them now. Not that she is one step away from achieving the ultimate heights of her power.

 

“Used to be.” Siege answered the heir. His back facing her.

 

“I never imagined Lacey would look this good in this perspective.  Do you enjoy being on the top Headmaster?” Her face appeared in the headmaster’s peripheral view. Exquisitely beautiful, glimmering underneath the vast night sky. The look on Taeyeon’s face is inquisitive. The gray orbs knows how insulting her words I but she is not human anymore, all of Kim Taeyeon is in the past, buried underneath the shinning diamonds of the greatness of the heir.

 

“I’m not like her Taeyeon. You know that.”

 

“And I am not like the one you perceived the heir to be. Do you know the reason why I chose Lacey for the second ritual?” Taeyeon jumped on the railings, her feet dangling in the nothingness as she sat on the cold stone. Siege got a better look on her, Lacey uniform, jet black ponytailed hair, gray eyes, and the diamond clad glove in her left hand.  This is the one who will destroy the universe, she needs to be stopped.  He had this urge to push her, but it is childish. Just a child play which is not considered to be worthy of any pranks.

 

“I was humiliated. I was bullied. On the first year of school, learning is the only the thing that matters, I look hideous. I am a geek, they say. But when I saw the most beautiful girl in the school, I knew I had to get my game on. But I ended up being cheated on. This school, the people in it. It disgusts me, they deserve to die. And I am beyond happy that they are.” Taeyeon leaned on the railing further, she turned at Siege, eyeing him with a playful glint present in her gray eyes. Her smile is dazzling but it is unsettling, something is hidden again.

 

“Yuri. Where is she?” She grow serious again.

 

“Why would I tell you? I suppose you know already? You are not the most powerful Taeyeon.” Siege felt his insides churn when Taeyeon’s eyes illuminated, a glimmer that is not bright, a dull one, dark and angry.

 

“How she can she be more powerful than me when she is still human?”

 

“I know that the ritual will only work on the day of the recipient of the blood’s birthday. Yuri is my bestfriend, I was born on March 9, and she was born in December 5th. Two days from now is not the 9th, it is the 5th.” Taeyeon jumped back on the pavement, her short height grew large in contrast with the headmaster’s towering one. The King and the heir stood on the same ground.

 

“Compel me then. Like what you did with Sunny.”

 

“As if you take me as a dumb idiot. Compelling you know would be worthless. You think I don’t know that you have no idea where the unas and Jessica brought Yuri after the transfer of blood in Kyro? You think I am stupid to believe that you are sentimental and wants to have a moment in your school? No.”

 

Siege’s expression turned sour. He and Seohyun purposely let the Unas and Jessica protect Yuri, making her location secret to them until she is turned. This is exactly what he predicted, Taeyeon would barge in Lacey to ask him Yuri’s whereabouts. But he did not expect for her to know that he had no idea where Yuri and her daughter is. The dice has been tossed. It is up to a game whether he could survive the night. He ought to be a sacrifice. Seohyun and Sunny are on their way to wherever Yuri is. Jessica is the one that Taeyeon is after, it is not hard to realize that. He would protect his daughter, no turning back.

 

“So why did you seek for me?”

 

“Because there is no one else to seek. Seohyun and Sunny are gone. Tiffany is I don’t know where. Did she come with you to Kyro?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“No. I don’t know where she is.” Siege told Taeyeon the truth. Tiffany is nowhere to be seen. Siege knows that she is safe, he feels every bit of his creations. The unas are all safe.

 

“Back to the topic. Where is Yuri?”

 

“I told you I don’t know.”

 

Force. Single word adjective, producing into a sensation so painful it caused him to vomit. Taeyeon slashed his neck with her arm, the ends of her skin did not touch the lines of his neck. Pure air, made sharp with the intensity of strength and speed. The King stumbled on the ground, his pure white robe stained with his own blood. Eventually the pain subsided in an instant, healing the slashed skin. He stood up, Taeyeon is not playing jokes.

 

“You know possibilities.  Tell me. TELL ME, YOU FOOL!” Her voice rampaged, her frustration reached the ends of the stick. Lifting her hands in the sky, thunders roared, there is rain.

 

“Blood.” He is scared for once as he felt a small drop in his hand. It is not the usual transparent liquid in where children enjoys to play. It is not the settling atmosphere you can ever hope for on bus trip, it is blood. Taeyeon is making it rain blood.

 

“You are making a show?”

 

“No. I’m wiping your memories because you don’t know.” Taeyeon, still dry from all of the weather change grinned. The time is ticking and the next thing he might blink, all of his memories will vanish. Siege close his eyes, it is a long time ever since he has been in combat.  Better use his powers to the fullest.

 

“You want a game? I’ll give it to you.” Siege returned the grin. His hands wrapped around the heir’s neck. For the first time ever since she is turned, Taeyeon felt inferior.

 

~~

 

“Jessica!” a voiced calls out from Jessica’s behind. Her smile grew knowing that it is Yuri again.

 

She grow a liking on this kind of Yuri, not that she fancies her more this way but there something heart fluttering with Yuri being not too moody and she looks happy. And in this world, Yuri has no problems to face. In this world, she and Sooyoung are friends. Yuri and Yoona are roommates. But one thing she does not like in this plane is that Yuri is not in love with her when she is so head over heels for her.  Although she is willing to sacrifice everything for Yuri to be able to live a normal life.

 

“Yuri, hello.” She beamed back.

 

“Sooyoung and I are eating together for lunch, just down the pizzeria downhill. Wanna come?” Yuri offered, the goofy smile coming out naturally as her eyes crinkled in its place.

 

“Sure thing.” Jessica did not hesitate once more. Just two days from the present moment, Yuri will be turned. And she’ll have to say goodbye to this little dork who grabbed her books away from her grasp as she walked ahead, slightly jumping as she took a step.

 

In the pizzeria downhill where students take time to socialize even with the small amount of time in their hands, sat Sooyoung, Yuri and Jessica. Sooyoung is already in her second plate of a whole pizza, not minding the two awkward entities in front of her. The small tumbler beside her is filled with her preferred blood. Compelling the waiter is not a bad thing to do when all you wanted is a dark tumbler right? A bloodbag would be an eyesore moreover to the fact that in this dimension, Kwon Yuri is a very cute student.

 

“So, are the both of you together again?” Sooyoung blurted out. Jessica’s fork albeit its malleable but impossible makeup managed to bend. Her eyes throwing darts to Sooyoung as the una only shrugged it off like a pro.

 

“What?” Yuri tried to hide her blush my meekly reaching for the hot sauce which is on the other side of the table, to be more specific beside Jessica Jung.

 

“You both look lovely. You should go out.” Sooyoung laughed. The fork a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter