009

S N O W F L A K E


Exam week is finally coming. During the day, everyone give each other supporting message on their group of study chat room. Yuna find a hard time to finish it, but it’s a lot easier than her earlier tests. And she also got mental support from everyone that made her passed the exam week without getting too much pressured.

On last day, the sudden study club (consist the original line up of canteen group plus Umji) went to Han River and play till the late sun set. They play a lot of games and punish the one who got lose. Yuna laughed a lot, she feels like it’s her first time to burst out laughed like this.

“Is it just me or it’s my first time seeing you laughed like that?” Soonyoung blurted out, when he saw Yuna laughing hard due to Seungkwan’s joke.

Seokmin, who sits on the side of the yard because he already lose, noticed it too and he felt extremely happy to see her express herself freely like that, especially when her surroundings started to realizing it too. He secretly observe her, her long messy hair when wind brush against her, her sparkling eyes when she laughed, her apple pinkish cheek when she break into wide smile. He feels so weirdly heavy and happy at the same time. He just too overwhelmed by too many feelings.

“Quit staring at her, you might break her.” Seungcheol grinned. Seokmin cough awkwardly and divert his attention to somewhere else, but his mind is too occupied by one particular girl that he cannot hide it anymore from Seungcheol.

“You like her?” Seungcheol shoot a question, not even trying to mince his words. Seokmin once again coughed hard, answered awkwardly; “We’re friends.”

Hearing his question, Seungcheol can’t help but burst in loud laughter. “Boy, I didn’t ask what kind of relationship you guys have. I just simply ask did you like her or not. But I think the answer is already obvious.”

“Did I really look that?” Seokmin asked him, completely clueless. “Oh, poor boy.” Seungcheol patted his shoulder and shake his head, “You look helpless. If you saw how you staring at her this whole time, you will see how hard you’re falling for her.”

Seokmin cringed and covered his own face that helplessly turned red. “Is that obvious?! Is that true?!” he groaned.

Seungcheol once again laughed, tickled and amused at the same time. “You’re so plain and pure.”

“Oh stop teasing me.” Seokmin muttered, annoyed. Seungcheol laughed and suddenly whispered right to his ear, “Did you confessed yet?”

“Ah, hyung!” Seokmin pushed him the older one who is now laughing louder than he already is. 

To think about it, it’s his first time seeing Seokmin likes a girl. This whole time, Seokmin usually keep himself off from girls when he able to do so. Even when he is around them, he is stoned like a mannequin. But now, only from seeing the look he gave to Yuna, Seungcheol could already conclude that it is his first love – and most probably his last too. It is sure a very rare moment and he can’t let it slipped it like that.

“Sorry, sorry. It’s just too cute seeing you flustered like that. It’s my first time seeing you like this, okay? I can’t let it slip away this rare chance to tease you.”

“Oh, whatever.” Seokmin divert his gaze back to the yard. While he is trying to gather his focus back, Seungcheol suddenly speak in serious tone, “If you really like her, it’s better to confess as soon as possible. You know, she is popular and pretty as well. Don’t you think there’s other boy who look at her differently too? I mean, to put it straightforwardly, you can’t lose her just because you confessed a second late.” Seungcheol give Seokmin his smile when the younger boy look at him with widened eyes - stupefied, “You know,” Seungcheol whispered, “Sowon is getting chased by so many boys, but since I’m the first to confessed, look at us now! Believe me, I’m pro at this thing! HAhahaha!” He then breaks into crazy laugh.

Seokmin sighed, shaking his head. He decides to leave him laughing alone, and divert his gaze back to the yard. His eyes automatically search for one girl. In no time, he find Yuna who is now jumping happily because she managed to defeated Soonyoung with one shot, made the boy lose and now walking towards them. He can’t stand his own smile when he sees her. He wondered did he really like Yuna – in particular meaning – and when he thinks about it, his cheek feel like burning. He often heard ‘butterflies flying on my tummy’ term, and somehow, he could relate it now, He sighed and ruffles his own hair as word ‘confessed’ crossed his mind. He really hate the idea that there’s other boy who felt the same feeling like he did – because he feels like the feel he has for her is the one and only in this world. Yet, he feels so conflicted whether to do the confession or not. He is sure about his feelings… but he didn’t even know why he is hesitated and he just hates his self for not knowing the reason why.

Soonyoung who just joined them frowned in confusion as he saw Seokmin’s weird expression. “What’s wrong with you?” he asked. Seungcheol laughed and casually answered, “Nothing, it’s just someone has butterflies flying around inside his tummy for the very first time in forever! Spectacular, isn’t it?”

**

Yuna smiled proudly to herself as she finally finished a task without anyone’s help. She rose up from her seat and put her work on teacher’s desk, walking happily back to her seat. Seeing Yuna already finished her task, Eunha scramble down her answer as fast as her little fingers could manage, then submit it right after. She back to her seat and move her seat near to Yuna happily.

“Hey,” Eunha half-whispered, gaining the long haired girl attention, “have you think anything in mind for the gift?”

Yuna stunned for a while to process what she mean by her words, but after several seconds, she failed to do so.

“What do you mean?”

“For the Father Day! Have you thought what kind of gift would you give?”

Hearing that matter, Yuna’s smile slowly disappeared. “N.. not yet.” she stuttered, force a smile then divert her gaze to somewhere else quickly. Eunha who is too excited about the event is failed to notice her changing expression.

“I’ve think to give him either a scarf or new glasses. Which one do you think he will like better?”

Yuna try her best not to get carried away by her own feeling and hurt Eunha. So she plastered a fake smile, “I don’t know? Since it’s autumn and cold now, I think scarf would be much useful for him.”

Eunha smile grew wider as she heard Yuna’s suggestion, clapped happily and raised her two thumbs up. “Oh, indeed, You’re Choi Yuna!” she exclaimed joyfully.

Suddenly the bell rang, signaling the break is started. Yuna quickly tidied her stuffs.

“Yuna, let’s go to cafete – “

“I’m sorry.” Yuna quickly cut her off, “I have something to do. You can go with me.” Yuna smiled a little then hurriedly went outside the class.

**

Yuna sipped her apple juice bitterly on garden bench alone, far away from the cafeteria. She can’t believe she avoided her friends just because they will excitedly talk about Father’s Day and discuss the presents they will give. Frankly speaking, Yuna felt jealous and hurt over them. She feels so ugly, but she can’t deny it though.

She look at the blue sky, the clouds which moving slowly. She talked to no one, asking the same question for years. Who is my father? What is he looks like? Did I even have one? Did he even exist?

Yuna felt like this is unfair. She didn’t hope she will meet her father, she just badly wants the answer for her question, but she never gets one. She sighed and closed her eyes, trying to shut her mind for a while. The soft wind helps her to calm her heavy heart,

A thought crossed her mind. She remembered one particular person who is also have no father anymore, although he’s a bit lucky because he still know who is his father and where he is now.

“Did he feel down too? Is he okay?” Yuna thought to herself, looking at the can of apple juice that she brought earlier for him to console him – but didn’t get much courage to meet him in and handed it in person. She let out her phone, typing a message. “Should I send it, though? It’d be weird.” Yuna sighed as she conflicted with her own self. When she is in the middle of hesitating, a familiar voice takes her back from her thoughts,

“So you are here.” Seokmin panting, wiping his own sweats on his forehead. “I searched for you everywhere, you know.” Seokmin laughed a bit, but his expression turn suddenly ask he softly asked, “Are you… okay?”   

Yuna’s heart which heavy earlier felt at so warm in instant. She smiled at him – suddenly thought about how precious he is to her and wonder what did she do deserve such kindness from him. Amidst of her hesitation, he is searching for her just to make sure that she is okay. She truly regrets that she was hesitated earlier.

“Here.” Yuna ing a can towards him, “I have apple juice for you.”

Seokmin stunned on both of his feet, his heart feel like stabbed many times when he saw tears streaming down her face. He let out heavy sighs and walks towards her, carefully wiping her tears.

Yuna shocked both of his action and sudden realization that she’s actually crying.

“Oh my god, this is embarrassing.”

Seokmin chuckled a bit. “It’s okay. No shame about it.”

“I didn’t cry, okay! That was because… because it’s so hot so my eyes got teary…”

Seokmin only laughed and nodded, take the apple juice and sit beside her. No one dare to talk after that, but no one complaining either. Yuna glad that Seokmin didn’t said any consoling word to her. His existence itself is already made her feel secured, and that was enough.

“Yuna, if you didn’t mind…” He suddenly speaks up, playing with his empty can, “Can you accompany me to visit my father after school break? I really want to introduce you to him.”

It didn’t take a long time for her to simply nodded.

 

The sun is about to set when they reach the graveyard. Both of Seokmin and Yuna bought a flower and decorate the grave with it. Seokmin give his deep bow before formally introduce Yuna to his dead-father.

“I’m pretty sure you’re watching from heaven. Happy Father Day, Dad! I missed you so much. I hope you’re fine up there. Just like me, I’m eating well and doing my exam well too! I also feel so great lately, because I managed to help and be friend with someone that so amazing. She is here, Dad! Finally! She is here to greet you personally.”

Yuna give her bow and smiled, “I’m Choi Yuna, Seokmin’s friend. All this time I was able to survive in school was all thanks to him. He is really a good friend, also a good tutor.”

Yuna breathes heavily as she saw Seokmin’s father picture. “He really looks like you.” she mumbled, touching the picture softly. “What kind of father is he, Seokmin?”

At that afternoon, they spent their time watching the sun completely set with the story of Seokmin’s father. On the way back home, Yuna still amazed at how Seokmin really cherished his father and for some reason, she feels so warm inside. No one ever told her how father usually act or does, and with Seokmin’s story, she drown in her own imagination about her own dad.

“Thanks for today, I really appreciate it.”

“No, I should be the one who thank you. Really, my day went great.” Yuna smiled, but quickly added, “but, Seokmin. You earlier said ‘finally!’, what does it mean?”

“Ah, about that,” Seokmin rubbed back of his head, “It’s… maybe you didn’t expect this but I was your biggest fan. No, I’m still and always your biggest fan! I always told my Father whenever you joined a competition… so… it actually feels really great to have you greet my father personally today. All these times I only get to tell him merely a story about you. But today you came personally. I’m really thankful.”

Yuna never thought before that Seokmin is her biggest fan until he did that. “I’m really pleased to hear that.” Yuna let out a soft smile. Seokmin smiled back at her, stunned at his place – enjoying her smile.

“It’s already late,” Yuna bring him back to reality, “you should get going.”

“Ah, right.” Seokmin chuckled, “Goodnight then.” He waves his hand turned around. Yuna stand still in front of her house, watching his back until it’s gone. She is still standing there, recalling the day she spent with him earlier.

She really aware now – yes, she is going to admit it - that her life is so much better with his presence in it. 


 

HAPPY 20SEVENTEEN YEAR EVERYONE! I really thank each one of you for your endless support for this story! May this year be our diamond year! for those who like seventeen x gfriend ship, consider this as my new year present for y'all XOXO.