Ch. 7: Invitations & Realizations

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7: Invitations & Realizations

The day quickly ended and night time came around.

Hwayang was still with Yeonhwa. She told him countless times that she could go on by herself, but all he kept saying was that a girl can’t wander alone. Especially at night. He forgot all about his shift at the embroidery booth, but he could risk getting a lecture from his mother later.

The two walked side by side under the stars in the city. Everyone at the market were already home and finished with their shifts, so they were the only ones still strolling around. Yeonhwa still had her coat on with her head down while Hwayang was gazing at her. He had been staring at for almost the whole day now. But only when she wasn’t looking at him as much.

Yeonhwa, on the other hand, couldn’t bring herself to meet his eyes. They were like lasers shooting her every time. In a good way. He made her speechless and quiet at times. She felt like if she connected eyes with him, she would melt away to dust. He made her nervous that much.

“It’s getting late,” Yeonhwa spoke up. “Shouldn’t you go home?”

Hwayang smiled softly. “And what about you?” he asked back. “Shouldn’t you also be getting home?”

Yeonhwa’s eyes faltered, and she inhaled nervously. “I want to look around more,” she stalled.

“We’ve been wandering all day. What’s there to look around for anymore?”

Yeonhwa grinned. “I don’t mind going around the city once more. Really, it’s okay.”

Hwayang smiled bigger and lowered his head, hoping to hide the blush creeping upon his face. Yeonhwa had the most amusing ways to make him smile like that. She was different. So different.

Yeonhwa kept walking ahead until she remembered something. And it was really important to her. She hesitated a bit to ask her question because she didn’t know if she was going to regret it or not.

“I…,” she softly said. “I have a request to make.”

Hwayang looked at her questionably. “What is it?” he asked.

Yeonhwa gulped and slowed down her steps. “My seventeenth birthday is in two days.”

Now she had the young lad’s full attention.

She looked at him with unintentional, pleasing eyes. “I know we literally just met today, but… I feel as though you deserve more than just me letting you give a tour… I want to thank you by making a request.”

Hwayang eyed her suspiciously.

Yeonhwa took a breath, then finally asked, “Will you come to my birthday celebration?”

The young farmboy was more than stunned by her request. Other than surprised and shocked, he felt as if he was the luckiest man in the world. Going to her birthday celebration would only mean that he had the chance to see her again.

“We don’t even know each other, though,” Hwayang played off.

“That’s why we can get to know each other more at my party, right?”

Hwayang smirked. “Will you be sad if I don’t go?”

Yeonhwa grinned lightly. “No. We don’t even know each other, right?” she threw back his words, making him laugh a bit.

“Well, I’ll see if I can make it,” he said. “I have a lot of business to do at home, but I’ll definitely think about it.”

“I will be expecting you, then.”

The two walked together in silence again. But then, it quickly broke.

“So are you ever going to tell me your name?” Hwayang asked. “I did show you around town the whole day.”

Yeonhwa peered through her coat and looked at him. He did have a point. He never left her side at any minute all day, and he even showed her around the city.

“You did,” she said. “And I appreciate your kind actions so much.”

Hwayang smiled at her again.

Yeonhwa sighed and stopped her tracks, making him do so, too. Then, the two looked at each other in the eyes. They were both feeling that electrifying, warm feeling again. And they had to admit it felt really nice.

Yeonhwa sighed heavily and took off her coat, preparing to reveal herself. She kind of debated throughout the day if she should tell him her royal self. The fact that she’s a Princess. The Crown Princess.

Of course she was still aware of the King’s advice, but somehow, her heart is just telling her to tell this young lad the truth. It’s the least she could do for letting him accompany her all day, right? Besides, she kind of wanted to tell him her true identity, too.

“My name...,” Yeonhwa said.

Hwayang focused his eyes on her and waited for her answer while she hesitated a bit. It was now or never that she told him.

“My name is-”

“My Lady!”

Hwayang and Yeonhwa was interrupted by a sudden surprised voice. They both whipped their heads over and saw a familiar looking maid with a geared man following behind her.

A breath escaped Yeonhwa in relief and surprise. “Jungseol,” she said as her maid approached her.

“My Lady, are you okay?” Jungseol asked in worriness. “Are you hurt anywhere? Did that man catch you? Did he do anything to you? Did he-”

Yeonhwa showed an assuring smile and shook her head. “I am fine,” she said. “That man didn’t do anything to me. I am okay.”

Jungseol bowed continuously. “I’m so sorry I left you, My Lady. Please don’t forgive this lowly maid of yours. I’m willing to receive your punishment. Please don’t have mercy on me.”

Yeonhwa grabbed the maid’s hands and held them. “I’m not going to punish you, Jungseol. You were just doing your job trying to help me. So I thank you. You were really

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter