Ch. 16: Weddings & Reunions

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 16: Weddings & Reunions

When the sun set, the Royal Yung family had already arrived at the Flower Palace. The bells tolled, alerting the whole place to know that the wedding was finally happening. As King Han, Queen Shim, and Princess Yeonhwa sat up in their thrones with King and Queen Yung, Prince Chanwol and Princess Inhye were walking down the aisle surrounded by many guests and families.

Watching the two young adults walk beside each other, Yeonhwa felt really happy and envious. Chanwol had always been a selfish, destructive kind of man, but when he met Inhye, it was as if he became a new person and completely forgot who he was. But Yeonhwa could tell that he was just a lost boy in love.

After bowing to their parents, the special guests, and to each other, Chanwol and Inhye were eventually announced as husband and wife.

“What a lovely couple,” Queen Yung happily said while applauding. “The two look so great together.”

Beside her, Queen Shim showed a bitter smile. “They do, don’t they?” she replied.

“I hope you can help my Inhye around. She can be a bit clumsy at times.”

“Don’t worry. We are family now, so I wouldn’t mind giving her a hand when needed.”

Queen Yung smiled, then glanced over to the Crown Princess, who was sitting beside her father on the other side. “So did you try to talk to King Lee about Yeonhwa’s marriage?” she  asked curiously.

Because King Han was beside his wife and wasn’t too far from the in-laws, he heard Queen Yung’s popping question. He kept his eyes on the bride and groom, but he had his ears opened to the conversation beside him.

Queen Shim raised her chin and sighed. “There’s no marriage yet,” she answered, hinting a big word at the end. “But I did send a letter to talk about this matter.”

“Well, I hope you get a reply soon,” Queen Yung cheered excitedly. “Just thinking about it,  I know Yeonhwa and King Lee’s son will make a terrific couple.”

Queen Shim smirked. “Just having Yeonhwa as a daughter is terrific enough. If she marries someone and becomes their wife, then she isn’t only terrific. She will be a glamorous diamond.”

Out of their sight, King Han clenched a fist on his knee. He couldn’t believe what these two women were talking about. Yeonhwa was his daughter. She’s human, not a machine or money-maker. If anything, she should be able to decide for her own hand in marriage.

“Father, are you okay?”

King Han turned to Yeonhwa and caught her worried, curious eyes as he felt a soft hand on his fist.

Yeonhwa was watching her brother and now sister-in-law talking with some people who were giving them their blessings and wishes. She smiled happily at the good-looking couple, but when she turned to her father and saw one of his hand in a fist, she became a little worried.

“I’m fine,” King Han said, unclenching his fist and holding onto his daughter’s hand.

Yeonhwa smiled heartwarmingly. “I know you must feel a little weird and surprised seeing Chanwol finally get married,” she said, bringing her other hand to hold her father’s fully. “But it’s okay. He’s still going to be here and stick around for a long time. Don’t worry, okay?”

King Han could only smile back and nod, mentally telling his daughter that Chanwol wasn’t the one he was worried about.

 

Hwayang stood just a couple of feet away from the entrance of the Flower Palace. Like the other night, there were four guards standing in place guarding the wealthy, royal home. He sighed deeply and gripped onto the books in his arm tightly. Before he had another mental talk with himself, he forced his feet to walk up to the big doors.

As soon as he was near them, the first two guards blocked his way using their spear staff.

“Wait,” the first guard said. “Who are you?”

WIth confidence, Hwayang bowed respectfully. “Hello,” he greeted. “I’m a librarian. I’m here to meet the Princess.”

Yes, he decided to lie about himself, but tell the truth about meeting Yeonhwa. It was the only way to get in. Plus, Yeonhwa never actually told him how to get in, despite telling the guards that he had some folktale stories for her.

“I have some books here that Her Highness ordered,” he explained. “I just want to give these to her, that’s all.”

The second guard gazed at him suspiciously. “What’s your name?”

“Lim Daewoon,” Hwayang lied. He couldn’t risk using his real name. He had to be careful.

“Listen, Lim Daewoon, there’s a really important event today, so I think you should come back another time. I will let Princess Yeonhwa that you stopped by, though.”

When the guards pulled back their weapons from letting him enter, Hwayang smiled a little to show them his sincerity. The guards declined letting him in, and he was going to find a way to convince them. He wasn’t going to give up easily. Like he told himself before, today he was going to be different just a bit. “I’m afraid I can’t do that, Young Gentlemen.”

Now, all the guards eyed him carefully as if he was an assassin or a threat to the Royal family and home.

“You see, the Princess has been searching for these books for a while now,” Hwayang explained. “And she asked for them, which I successfully found. Another thing, I promised to give her these books myself once I did find them. I also can’t come back another time because I’m going to travel to Busan for more book-work. So if you want to let the Princess know that you sent me off with her wanted books, leaving town, not knowing when I’ll be back, then fine. Go ahead. But please tell the Princess that I send my greetings.”

Hwayang left the guards completely speechless as he bowed and spun his heels, attempting to walk away. He knew right away he got their attention. That was what he aimed for. With this previous words, he knew there was only one choice to do in this conversation.

“Wait!” he heard a guard called Hwayang.

A small smile painted on his face.

 

The celebration for the wedding went on for hours, and soon it was nighttime.

Everyone enjoyed their delicious, gourmet meal, the wonderful, talented performers’ show, and the small, peppy talks going around. While they were all in their own happy world, Yeonhwa’s eyes never stopped moving from the crowd. She was looking for someone - Hwayang, of course. She was expecti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter