Ch. 26: Chances & Forgiveness

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I apologive for the late updates lately! I've been so busy with school. TT^TT

Chapter 26: Chances & Forgiveness

Three days passed. Nothing happened much over the time.

Hwayang resumed working at the farm again with Myungseok and Eunpil. Although, he was still bothered that Yeonhwa didn’t visit him. He wasn’t angry or upset, though. Actually, he was more worried. If she was punished for sneaking out to see him, then he wouldn’t forgive himself. If something happened, he needed to know what did.

Yeonhwa was nowhere but stuck in the Flower Palace. Queen Shim ordered more guards around her Quarter in case she ran off again. But Yeonhwa wasn’t so eager to do that at the moment. She resumed writing her stories while also trying to find a way to reunite with Hwayang. Or if she couldn’t, then maybe try to send him a letter explaining what happened.

The chances Hwayang and Yeonhwa had to see each other weren’t so big, but they also weren’t so small. Although they’re unaware of the fact that they love each other, they still wanted to meet. To be in their embraces.

Luck was now their only hope to find the chance of seeing each other again.

 

As Hwayang was carrying Jooyang on his back, walking home from working all day at the farm, the little brother suddenly asked, “Hwayang Hyung. Why doesn’t Yeonhwa Noona visit anymore? Is she sick or something?”

Hearing her name, Hwayang slowed down his steps, trying to steady his anticipating, excited heart. He sighed.  “Why are you asking?” he replied.

“It’s been almost three days. I miss her. I want to spin some tops with her, but...she won’t visit…”

Hwayang put on a small smile, but if one was to look at it, it looked sad. Forced. “You’re thinking too much. She’ll visit again. She’s just spending some time with her family. She has parents, too, you know?”

Jooyang nodded. “I know, I know. But she left so suddenly on my birthday. I was worried. I hope nothing serious happened because I want to see her again. I really, really miss her.”

Hwayang exhaled again and stared at the path he was taking. ‘Me, too, Jooyang. Me, too…’

 

Jungseol came to the gazebo with a tray of a teapot and a cup to serve the Princess, who sitting in the table while writing her stories as usual. The maid gently set it down before bowing to her.

“Princess Yeonhwa, your tea,” she said.

Yeonhwa stopped writing and looked at her with a soft smile. “Thanks,” she replied.

Jungseol poured her a cup before handing it to her. Yeonhwa gladly took it as she blew the hot steam away from the surface. “Your Majesty. Are you okay?”

Before Yeonhwa could take a sip, she looked at her maid curiously. But she didn’t say anything.

Jungseol lowered her head. “You haven’t spoken of...Hwayang since that day… Are you alright?”

The Princess blinked. She carefully took a sip of the tea quietly and set it on the table. A sigh left her. “I miss him…,” she admitted.

Her maid looked at her in awe. “Princess Yeonhwa.”

A sad smile painted Yeonhwa’s lips. “I wonder if he’s upset at me.”

“Why would he be upset, Your Majesty?”

“I left, promising him that I’ll go back and see him, and now I can’t even leave the Flower Palace… He could be expecting to see me right now, but…” She gazed out into the small pond.

Jungseol exhaled lightly. “I’m sorry to hear that, Your Majesty.”

Yeonhwa shook her head. “It’s not your fault… It’s not anyone’s fault.”

Jungseol looked at her, knowing that she was referring to a specific someone. But she wasn’t going to say his name out loud for her to hear. For she was still trying to forgive him.

 

Yeonhwa walked back to her Quarter with Jungseol walking behind her. Just as she turned the corner, she stopped to see an unfamiliar, young male in front of her. She furrowed her brows, observing the stranger upon her. He was dressed in a fine, luxurious blue hanbok. With a beaded hat on his head and hands behind his back, he looked at her with those brown eyes of his. Not only did he have pretty pupils, but his features were also astonishing. His cheekbones were high and his lips were a little thin. If anything, he wasn’t anywhere near a middle-class or even lower.

When Yeonhwa didn’t say anything, he bowed respectfully.

“Greetings, Your Majesty,” he said.

Yeonhwa blinked and bowed, saying, “Greetings,” before asking, “Who are you? How do you know me?”

The handsome male smiled. “Well, considering I got into the royal Flower Palace, I must be someone who is very noble, right? And you’re the Crown Princess of Joseon. Everyone knows you, dear.”

The Princess squinted at him. Although she admitted herself that this fine, young male was good-looking, she couldn’t bring herself to lie that his tone didn’t disturb her. “Someone very noble?” The male continued smiling, but the longer Yeonhwa stared at him, the more she became uncomfortable. “Who are you, really? A prince? A friend of my brother’s?”

Smirking, the guy sighed. “Don’t worry about me, Princess Yeonhwa. I’m no harm.”

As much as curiosity pulled her into wondering how he knew her name, Yeonhwa brushed the thought aside. She exhaled softly. “Well, whoever you are, you must be here to see my brother, Chanwol. But I will save you some time to tell you that he’s very busy with his wife right now. If you want me to, I will tell him that you dropped by.”

He smirked. “Sure. Why don’t you tell him that?”

Yeonhwa breathed in a sip of air before bowing to him, gesturing her farewell. She didn’t mean to appear rude, but she really didn’t want to see or talk to anyone right now. Unless it was Jungseol. As she walked past him, the maid also respectfully bowed to him before following Her Majesty. After the two females left, the stranger turned his head back to where they disappeared off to.

“Princess Han Yeonhwa,” he said with a sly grin. “You sure are a real beauty.”

 

A knock echoed the room, making Yeonhwa look up at the door, away from reading her story.

“Come in,” she said. When the doors slowly opened, she found the person who she hadn’t seen in days. Although he was dressed in h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter