Ch. 35: Punishments & Arguments

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 35: Punishments & Arguments

 

It was barely a week, but Yeonhwa felt like it was years. For five days, she had been in the cellar, darkness surrounding every corner of the room. She had gotten used to it by now, but even the lack of light overwhelmed her - made her feel like there was literally no brightness in her life. But she didn’t care about any of that right now. All she could worry about were those beside her.

Yeonhwa wondered how Jungseol was right now, being that the maid took the fall for her - once again - for the Princess’ happiness. Was Jungseol married off to Prince Dosung now? Or was she caught by Queen Shim and punished? Yeonhwa shuddered at the thought of her mother bringing death upon her loyal maid. If she finds out that Jungseol is hurt in any kind of way, she would never forgive herself. If anything, she’d rather be relief to hear Jungseol marry Dosung than be harmed. As much as the Prince was a cocky selfish person, Jungseol deserved to live in a well-being state where she wouldn’t have to worry about what to eat, what to wear, or how to treat others. Yeonhwa just prayed that beyond all of this chaos, her maid is okay.

Other than that, Yeonhwa couldn’t stop thinking about her beloved farmboy - Hwayang. It had been so long since she last saw him. She could still remember the bruises and cuts on his face freshly when he was beaten by the guards of her mother. She could still hear his pleading cries for her in the dungeons when she finally gave him her goodbyes for good. It was as if it happened just yesterday. 

She missed him… She missed his smile. She missed his embrace. She missed his touch. She missed his kisses…  

Her longing thoughts of her lover were interrupted as she coughed deeply. The lack of any water made dry, almost making it hard for her to talk. Heck, she couldn’t even cry out for someone outside to release her anymore without straining her voice. Her stomach also twisted as though it was trying to disappear. She couldn’t remember the last time she was given a meal. It wasn’t like she was trying to eat either, though. Ever since her mother decided to keep her prisoner from running off to Hwayang, she didn’t have the appetite to eat anything that was delivered to her anymore. 

She wondered how long her mother was going to keep this up. If this went on any longer, she was afraid. Not that she might probably die from starvation and thirst. But she was afraid she wouldn’t get to see Hwayang again before her death. 

 

Hwayang exhaled a tired breath throwing another pack of hay into the wheelbarrow. Wiping off the sweat off his forehead with his arm, he leaned himself on the carrier carefully as he decided to take a quick break. Five days only, and his wounds were already starting to lighten up a bit. Although there were still bruises that were as dark as the sky in the night, and scratches and cuts as deep as the ocean, he managed to pull off well enough to get back on his feet. Thankfully, he was still breathing - at least that’s what his family and friends are grateful for.

“Hwayang Hyung!” he heard his little brother’s voice as he came running from afar holding his spinning top toy. However, there were tears in his red, puffy eyes and distress and sadness in his voice.

Hwayang blinked softly with concern before kneeling down to his level and gave a smile. “Jooyang,” he said patting the little guy’s head once he was in front of him. “What happened? What’s wrong? Why are you crying?” He wiped away his little brother’s tears with his thumbs.

Jooyang hiccuped as he sniffed. “I hate it!” he exclaimed throwing down his spinning top toy on the ground madly. “I don’t want to play anymore! I don’t want it! All the others kids beat me in the rounds and made fun of me! This toy is useless and stupid! I hate it! I hate it!”

It was rare to see Jooyang upset, Hwayang thought. The times he would throw a tantrum like this would be either when he was really upset and mad, or when he would just whine out of random. But other than that, Jooyang was a happy child - he is a happy child. A cheerful, bright kid. Hwayang took a moment to drop his gaze and glance down at the toy on the ground. Jooyang’s spinning top - the spinning top.

“You got this for me, Noona?” he said.

Yeonhwa smiled with a nod.

Sitting on the other side of her, Hwayang tried to look to see what it was. “What is it?” he asked.

Instead of answering, Jooyang pulled out a new toy from the wrapped box. It was a spinning top, but it wasn’t like the other ones he had. The ones he owned were plain and dull, but this new one in his hands was colorful. It reminded him of the kite she made Dongil run to the market, getting some supplies to create a new, improved one. 

“It’s amazing!” Jooyang exclaimed, standing up in his seat. “Thank you, Noona!” 

Yeonhwa shared a laugh with him before ruffling his hair. “Your welcome, birthday boy.” 

Picking up the toy off the ground, Hwayang held the spinning top in his hand with a sigh. Although it had been five days only, it felt like five decades. And still, the thought of Yeonhwa still had an effect on him. He forced a small smile upon his face and dusted the dirt off the spinning top, raising his head to look at his little brother. “C’mon,” he said ruffling Jooyang’s hair. “It couldn’t have been that bad, right? It just takes practice, Jooyang.”

The little brother sniffed and wiped his snotty nose with his raggedy sleeve. “They made fun of me…” He cried, his tone much softer and calmer now. “They said I was being pitied on by Yeonhwa Noona for being poor. That’s not true, right? Yeonhwa Noona doesn’t pity me, right?” 

Just the name of her made Hwayang intake a breath. No one has spoken of her ever since he returned home. He didn’t want to talk about her or anyone to bring it up - it just hurt too much. “C’mon,” he said, picking Jooyang up in his arms as they went to the barnhouse. “Why don’t we go take a break, and I’ll teach you, hm?” Of course, he did what he always did whenever Yeonhwa was brought up - distract himself. And so, he was doing it again for the fifth time of the week.

The day Hwayang and his family found out about Yeonhwa’s royal status, the entire village was also swarming with the news - the Royal Princess had been in the village, and there was a farmboy seducing her. Hwayang’s parents had lectured him countless times on why he would give his love to someone higher than them as it will only make them lose face. Sometimes, he would even hear people talking behind his back - literally. But he always ignored them and kept quiet. They didn’t know his story. Their story… 

 

She didn’t know what time of the day it was, but she was startled to hear the cellar door open roughly with light peaking through. Yeonhwa quickly stirred awake from sleeping on the dirty wall, scurrying to stand up with a limp. It was blurry at first, but then she saw her mother and her two maids walking down the steps. But there was someone else - now that really got the Princess’ attention.

“Jungseol… ” Yeonhwa called out to her softly and weakly.

“Princess!” Jungseol exclaimed, rushing past the other maids and hugging he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter