Ch. 20: Classes & Discussions

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: School started 2 days ago, and I am already exhausted :C Here's Ch. 19! ^^ Enjoy!

Chapter 20: Classes & Discussions

Jooyang groaned as Myungseok handed him a huge stack of tied hays. “Myungseok Hyung!” he exclaimed. “It’s too big!”

“It’s good that it’s big,” Myungseok said, helping him carry it securely. “Then, you will have muscles for working so hard.”

Jooyang tilted his head in considerate. “Really?”

Myungseok nodded with a sly smile.

The big stack of hays in Jooyang’s arms were suddenly taken away from him, making him and Myungseok turn to see who it was.

“What are you doing?” Hwayang said, easily holding the bundle. “You’re not supposed to work and carry big things.”

Jooyang pouted at his older brother. “I just wanted to help, that’s all,” he muttered.

“Aish, don’t be mad at him, Hwayang,” Myungseok commented, patting the young boy’s head. “The little guy was actually doing pretty good. He might be small, but he could carry things really well.”

Hwayang let a small laugh out. “Is that so?” he said. He stared at his brother and found him still pouting in disappointment. Tapping his nose playfully, he handed over the stack of hays. “Here, then. Go add this stack to the rest of the others. But that’s it, okay? Just go play around after.”

Instantly, Jooyang put on his brightest smile. “Alright, Hwayang Hyung!” he exclaimed joyfully, taking the bundle and quickly walking away to help.

“Don’t go and play too far, okay!”

“Okay!”

Hwayang chuckled, happy that his little brother wasn’t upset anymore. He then turned to help Myungseok tie the remaining family of hays together. He didn’t even get to grab the second half until he felt someone purposely bump into him.

“Hey, Eunpil,” he said, seeing the huntress beside him.

Eunpil smiled, enjoying how he always said her name. “Hi,” she greeted back. “Need any help?”

“Sure. Grab a stack.”

And Eunpil gladly did.

Seeing how awkward things were since he was sort of third-wheeling, Myungseok cleared his throat and forced a grin at the two. But they were too busy to listen to him.

Well, one was too busy while the other was only flustered.

 

Yeonhwa heard Dongil sighed for the fourth time again, and she stopped her tracks to turn to him.

“Are you really okay?” she asked in concern.

‘No, I’m not okay,’ Dongil thought. ‘You’re the Crown Princess of Joseon, and you like a commoner. If the King and Queen finds out, you’re going to be punished. You’re going to get hurt, and if you get hurt… I’ll be crushed…’ He forced a small grin and shook his head. “I’m alright,” he lied. “Just tired, that’s all.”

Yeonhwa didn’t really believe his words mixed with his uneasy tone, but she could only nod back in response. Then, the two were walking on the trail again.

This morning, they took off and left the Flower Palace. Yeonhwa told her mother, Queen Shim, that there was a new author in town, and she wanted to meet him. As much as Queen Shim disapproved her request, she could only let her go because she had her own things she must do today. Luckily, Yeonhwa’s wish was granted.

Dongil stayed by Yeonhwa’s side at all times. He accompanied her, but as they were going to who knows where she was taking them, his thoughts were clouded about the day before.

“You’re… You’re seeing a commoner?” Dongil asked in surprise.

Yeonhwa sighed and nodded, not bothering to lie to him anymore. “Yes,” she answered. “But he’s no threat at all. Trust me.” She looked away as a smile appeared on her face. “He’s really nice.”

Dongil clicked his tongue quietly. “But Yeonhwa, he’s still a commoner. What if the King finds out? Or even worse, the Queen?”

Yeonhwa shook her head. “The only people who know about this is me, you, and Jungseol. No one else does, and they won’t find out unless we say something.”   

“What are you saying, then? That we keep this a secret?”

“Just temporarily. When the right time comes, I will take the blame and explain everything.”

“Yeonhwa-”

“It’s okay, Dongil. Nothing will happen. I will make sure of it. I’ll be careful. More importantly, I will make sure nothing happens to you and Jungseol if anything occur. ”

Dongil lowered his head and looked at the ground. ‘It’s not me or Jungseol that I’m worried about,’ he secretly thought in reply.

King Han might take some time to process the truth once Yeonhwa reveals it. He obviously wanted what was best for his daughter and loved her very much. Although the peasant Yeonhwa spoke of wasn’t someone in the same class as them, he might actually consider it because he only wanted her to be truly happy.

Queen Shim, on the opposite hand, wouldn’t take it good at all. She would be furious, upset, and deeply angry. At the King for spoiling their daughter so much, but mostly at Yeonhwa, for being so selfish and despicable. She wouldn’t approve of her and her admired, second half even if she burned herself to death. Yeonhwa was the Princess, and she came from a royal family. Queen Shim wouldn’t just let her get away with liking a commoner for nothing.

And that was what Dongil feared most.

For Yeonhwa’s safety. Her freedom.

Her happiness.

Yeonhwa and Dongil continued walking, with Yeonhwa leading the way to the farm, in hope to see Hwayang again. They had to stop again when Dongil heard some noise up ahead. Putting his sword in front of Yeonhwa to stop her, he gazed in front of the road.

“What’s wrong?” the Princess asked.

Dongil didn’t say anything, but he continued searching for what the noise was about. He suddenly saw a few people ahead. A few kids, actually. There were about three boys surrounding another one smaller than them. The lone kid had a broken kite in his hand, and he was covering his face with his arms, hiding his tearful face. The other three were just laughing at him while shoving him around. They continued messing with him until he was pushed to the ground.

“Hey!” Dongil shouted.

The three bullies looked up and saw him, and the second they knew that they were caught, they ran.

“Hey! Get back here!” He was going to run ahead and catch them, but his arm was pulled back.

“Dongil, don’t,” Yeonhwa said softly. “They’ll be dealt with later. Right now, we should go check on that little boy.”

Although he really wanted to teach those little kids a lesson about respect, he had to obey the Princess’s order. Nodding in agreement, they both walked over to the sad boy on the ground.

Dongil sighed sadly, seeing how dirty he looked. His clothes were old and raggedy, and his hair was a mess. Although, his skin didn’t look too much of a mess. Dongil took one pitiful look at him before he came closer to the boy, but the little guy scooted away in fear.

“Don’t worry,” Dongil said calmly. “I won’t hurt you.”

The little boy hiccuped from his cries and lowered his arm down to look at him. Seeing that there were two older people here, he felt relief. But the tears never stopped.

Dongil breathed in heavily before he gently grabbed his arm and pulled him up, letting the kite in his hand drop to the ground. Standing o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter