Ch. 18: Sparks & Hugs

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 18: Sparks & Hugs

Yeonhwa sighed softly as she walked into the gazebo, staring at the beautiful, yet small pond. The moon hung in the night, its light reflecting off the water. She looked up to the sky and admired the glory in the night. 

She didn’t bother turning around to see the culprit when she heard footsteps approaching her. She knew who it was. And she smiled just thinking about him.

Hwayang stood beside her, also gazing up at the moon. He sighed and held his hands behind his back.

Yeonhwa smiled. “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” she said, still looking at the sky. “The moonlight.”

Hwayang lightly chuckled. “It really is,” he agreed. “But you know what’s even more beautiful?”

Yeonhwa turned her head to him. “What?

Hwayang grinned. “Take a guess.”

The Princess pouted. “I don’t like guessing. It takes too much time.”

“Come on. Just take a wild guess.”

Yeonhwa sighed and tilted her head as she squinted her eyes, actually thinking of his question. Then, she looked at him and shook her head. “I don’t know.”

Hwayang sighed again. “I said to guess. Not answer if you know or not.”

“Well, I don’t know, okay? Just tell me. What’s more beautiful than the moonlight?”

Hwayang couldn’t suppress the heartwarming smile on his face. Yeonhwa was so clueless and dense that it only made her look adorable in his eyes. He took a second to gaze at her more before leaning in close to her face.

Yeonhwa’s feet were still planted on the ground, but she slowly moved her head back. When she couldn’t go any further, she froze.

“You are more beautiful than the moonlight,” Hwayang whispered as his nose brushed hers. “Han Yeonhwa.”

She knew her cheeks were blushing red again. She blamed him for being so cheesy with his words. His lovely, joyful words.

Yeonhwa in a breath, then scoffed at him. “You’re being corny,” she muttered as she turned her back to him and walked towards the rail with a frown.

She heard another sigh behind her again until she felt two arms wrapping around her waist. She widened her eyes and panicked, fearing that someone might see them together. Luckily, this gazebo by the pond was her favorite quiet place to get some fresh air. No one would ever disturb her here no matter what.

As much as her mind was telling her to move away from the commoner, her heart said otherwise. It raced quickly again, and she mentally cursed herself for already reacting to his warm touch. She could feel his firm chest against her back, and that only made her more nervous than ever.

“I’m not being corny,” Hwayang said, breathing into her ear. “I’m being serious.”

Yeonhwa bit back her smile and slightly turned her head to him. “Whatever,” she said. “I don’t believe your words anyways.”

“No?”

The Princess teasingly shook her head. “No. Why don’t you explain to me? Why…I’m more beautiful than the moonlight?” She didn’t want to sound selfish or like she wanted to hear him praise her. All she wanted to do was by telling him to explain her unique traits to her.

“Hmm,” Hwayang hummed, gently leaning the side of his head against hers. “Well, to begin, when I first met you, you were really beautiful. The second time we met, even when you were drenched in the rain, you were still beautiful. And tonight? You’re stunningly more beautiful.”

Yeonhwa quietly laughed and looked away from him, despite being trapped in his arms. “You are really, really corny, Yoon Hwayang,” she said.

Hwayang also laughed as he tightened his hold on her. Yeonhwa finally gave in to his warmth and placed her hands softly on top of his. “Corny or not,” she heard him say. “I’m only being truthful to the woman I like.”

She swore her face was going to be numb tomorrow from all the happy smiles tugging her lips. Hwayang chuckled once more from his own cheesiness and leaned more towards her.

“Thanks for being here tonight,” Yeonhwa softly spoke. “I was expecting to see you earlier, but…you didn’t show up. I almost thought you weren’t going to come.”

She heard him smile.

“Coming to conclusions isn’t good for you, you know?” Hwayang said.

Yeonhwa lightly giggled. “I know.”

“Thank you, though.”

“For what?”

“For inviting me over,” the farmboy answered. “Although I do feel a little guilty because it’s your brother’s wedding day.”

“Don’t worry. Chanwol Oppa won’t mind.”

“So that’s his name?”

Yeonhwa nodded.

“Make sure to give Chanwol and the Princess my wishes and blessings.”

The Princess scoffed. “You don’t even know them, though.”

“You don’t even know me either.”

Yeonhwa chuckled. “No, not really, I don’t,” she admitted, turning her head to ace him. “But like I said before, I trust you.”

Hwayang gave another one of his charming smiles as their noses touched, listening to her response. He asked himself how he got so lucky to have the Crown Princess in his arms. Nevertheless, her heart. How she would have the same, mutual feelings for him like he did.

His warm breath was so near Yeonhwa’s lips that she nervously wondered if he was going to kiss her again. Their eyes never broke contact, and just gazing into each other’s orbs make them more curious to their next actions.

When Hwayang slowly tried to lean in to feel her soft lips against his again, Yeonhwa froze and held her breath. Her stomach did a flip as her heart beat quickly. She saw him closed his eyes as he got closer, and not a second later, she also followed. Their lips brushed each other’s, and just as they were about to share another kiss, a loud explosion gunned into the air.

Both of them flinched an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter