Ch. 32: Supports & Reports

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 32: Supports & Reports

‘Father…

Weeks have flew by as though they were birds. Days have passed like the sun rising in the morning and setting at night.

I do not know how many times I have written this letter just to deliver to you. I do not know how many times I have stayed up at night, praying for your return. I do not know how much tears I have shed just to have you here by my side.

Many things have happened since your departure. Mother has been doing well, but… she has taken things into much deeper notice. I fear that without you here, I will not be able to break free from her strict rules and orders.

Wherever you are, Father, please return home safely… Quickly… Please remember that your daughter is waiting for you…

Signed,

Your Princess, Yeonhwa…’

Yeonhwa watched the servant leave the palace with her letter to deliver to the Mailing Department. After spending an hour in her room writing over seven failed letters, she managed to gather her final thoughts and write them down for the King. She needed to let him know her last thoughts before the event took place tomorrow.

Tomorrow. The wedding was happening. Yeonhwa wasn’t prepared to leave the Flower Palace the next day and depart to Prince Dosung’s home. She wasn’t ready to do anything.

Today was the last day of her freedom before she was going to be given away. She had no choice but to do so, even if she didn’t want it.

She just wanted everything to go back to the way it was - when she was happy. When she enjoyed her life carelessly. When she ignored all of the hardships and worries around her.

When she was with him…

Little did she know, the farmboy wanted the same thing, too.

 

Myungseok sighed again as he threw the stack of hays down in the wheelbarrow. He wasn’t tired. He wasn’t feeling sick.

No - he was frustrated.

This morning, he and Hwayang made their way to the farm, but they also happened to walk through the village talking about the Crown Princess’ marriage. Hwayang kept his head low at all costs, not wanting to show how much he didn’t like the fact, but even with a forced smile, he was hurting. His best friend knew that, too. Myungseok was smart to keep his mouth shut from sprouting words of wisdom to the farmboy, but it was only temporary.

Ever since they got to the farm and began working in the fields, Myungseok had been glaring at Hwayang for almost two hours. Myungseok wanted to see Hwayang stop working and say something about not wanting the wedding to happen, but it never happened. He was getting even more frustrated by the minutes passing by.

What was taking Hwayang so long to admit that he didn’t want Yeonhwa to get married - that he should be the one spending his life with her? Why was he holding back when he desperately wanted to be in Yeonhwa’s life for as long as they both shall live?

“Aish!” Myungseok hissed throwing down another stack of hays. “That’s it.” He rolled up his sleeves quickly and began stomping over to where the farmboy was working.

Hwayang was tying a strand of rope over the stack of hays he just gathered when he felt someone harshly pull him from behind. He didn’t even had the time to process who it was until he felt that person pull the collar of his shirt and tripped his feet, making him fall to the dusty ground. He winced as he also felt a weight on top of him.

“What the hell?” he groaned with a slight cough.

Myungseok yanked his shirt collar again and angrily muttered, “Are you some kind of coward or something?”

Hwayang finally opened his eyes and saw his friend looking down at him angrily. “Myungseok? What are you doing?!” his voice rose.

“Are you really going to ask me that?” Myungseok stood up jerking Hwayang along in the process, and gripped onto his shirt. “The real question is, what are you doing?”

Hwayang furrowed his brows. “What are you talking about? Let go of me!” He attempted to yank Myungseok’s hands off him.

“The wedding is tomorrow, God damn it!” Myungseok tightened his grasp on him. “Yeonhwa is about to go and get married! And you’re just going to let her?! Did you even like her in the first place?!”

Hwayang grunted and managed to push the guy away harshly.

Myungseok didn’t make a move to lunge at him again. “You’re a coward, you know that?” he spoke softly, yet his tone still low and angry.

The farmboy panted slowly. “I know what you’re doing, Myungseok,” Hwayang said. “You’re doing what you had always been doing since we were kids. You’re trying to make me feel bad about myself, so I can give in and do what I really want. You’re trying to make me fight it.”

“And you should be!” Myungseok marched up to him. “Hwayang, what the hell?! You don’t even know it yourself, do you?!”

“What am I supposed to know?” Hwayang threw his hands in the air as though he had given up. “That I’m a coward? A weakling? Well, maybe I am. Alright? So, sorry if I’m not living up to your expectations.”

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” Myungseok pushed him in the chest. “You’ve been sulking for weeks! Drowning in your own feelings and emotions about the one girl you’ve fallen in love with! And you don’t even know it! For God’s sake, Hwayang, just admit it! You love her! You love Yeonhwa!”

Hwayang furrowed his brows as he stood frozen and silent.

Myungseok only stared at him, proud as if he had hit the jackpot.

‘Love?’ Hwayang thought to himself. ‘I… love Yeonhwa? I love her?’

“Believe me, Hwayang,” Myungseok said, this time his voice beginning to quiet down. “I know you’re worried about her, but I also know that you care deeply for her. She’s your everything, Hwayang. You love her, and you’re in love with her. You’re just afraid to admit it because you’re forcing yourself to believe that you’re not good for her.”

“But…” Hwayang softly said, “I’m not…”

Myungseok groaned. “Please don’t say that when I am trying to give you my usual, annoying words of wisdom.”

Hwayang quieted down and looked at him.

Myungseok sighed and raised his hand to place on the farmboy’s shoulder. “Hwayang,” he said. “Don’t give up on the one best thing that’s ever happened to you just because you’re afraid. You need to face your fear. Go to her…”

Hwayang stared at him and processed his words as though they were a foreign language. Slowly, he began to realize it himself. Myungseok was right. If Hwayang lives everyday living in the fear of worrying about Yeonhwa’s safety, he’ll always be restrained from his love for her.

Now, all he had to do was face reality.

 

 Jungseol placed the last empty plate on the tray of other dishes. She looked back at the Princess sitting in her cushion. “Is there anything else you need, Your Majesty?” she asked.

Yeonhwa looked at her and slowly shook her head. “No,” she answered quietly. “Thank you, Jungseol.”

 The sad, soft tone in her voice made the maid give a pitiful look. But knowing the Princess didn’t want to discuss anything, Jungseol only nodded. She bowed slowly in farewell before she stood up with the tray in her hands. She turned around making her way to the door.

“Jungseol,” Yeonhwa said stopping her.

Her maid instantly spun back and looked at her. “Yes, Your Majesty?” Jungseol asked.

Yeonhwa sighed. “I would like to remain in my room alone today. I want to enjoy some peace and quiet. Let no one interrupt me, please.”

Jungseol understood why the Princess gave such orders. She didn’t need to ask as she nodded her head in agreement. Bowing her head lowly, she turned and exited Yeonhwa’s room.

She left the Princess’ Quarter and went to the kitchen to clean the empty dishes on her tray. After doing so, she dried her hands with a rag and grabbed a sweeper to clean the dirt around the kitchen area. She didn’t even start making a pile until she met some familiar dark shoes in front of her.

She raised her gaze and found Dongil standing in her way. “Dongil-ssi,” she said.

The bodyguard exhaled. “Hi,” he greeted.

Jungseol bowed to him before standing up straight. “Is there something you need?”

Dongil sighed uneasily and bit his lower lip.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter