Ch. 15: Futures & Changes

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Just a fun size chapter :) 

Chapter 15: Futures & Changes

Five days passed quickly and soon, the special day came.

In the process, Hwayang anticipated more and more to meet Yeonhwa again. He felt nervous, scared, and excited so much that he thought this was too good to be true. It never crossed his mind that he would meet the Crown Princess of Joseon and unexpectedly catch unsure feelings for her. It was just too much to take in.

Just like Yeonhwa told him, he bought a few folktale books using some of the savings he had from farmwork. He also spent some time reading over them just to get an idea of what Yeonhwa’s like. Although he just met her twice, he wanted to get to know her more. The interesting novels amazed him a lot about her because he didn’t expect her to like those kind of books. She was a Princess, so he assumed she was those kind who liked jewelries, gorgeous hanboks, and more, but he thought wrong. For a few nights, he would even read the stories to Jooyang, and as soon as he did, the little brother went straight to sleep.

The sun was still lingering in the midday, and the young lad was just getting ready to leave his house until he accidentally knocked over a basket filled with some clothes. He let out a frustrating sigh, then quickly picked them up before his parents could come in the house to see his mischievous acts.

As he finally put the clothes inside the basket, he suddenly stopped to see a designed hanbok in the scattered pack. He looked at the front door to make sure no one would come in before turning back to the pile of clothes he found. He picked up the hanbok carefully as if it was glass that would break anytime and looked at it. It consisted of a white under-layer and dark blue upper-garment with faint leaf designs on it. It also had a red rope with a sash to tie around the clothes once worn.

Hwayang realized that this must have been  his father’s old clothes that he wore previously when he was young. Now that he unintentionally found it, he suddenly took a look at himself. The clothes he had on now was a bit old and raggedy. If he went to the Flower Palace to meet Yeonhwa looking like this, then he would surely look like he was commoner. He didn’t want to look like that. If he was going to meet Yeonhwa today, then he must look presentable. He wanted to look presentable. He didn’t want to look shabby in front of her. At least, not often.

Before he could go out and tell his parents and Jooyang that he was going to spend the night at the farmhouse for a lookout shift, he quickly grabbed an empty basket and stuffed the designed hanbok and books of folktales in it. As much as he didn’t want to lie to his family, he didn’t want to tell them that he was secretly seeing the Crown Princess of Joseon either. It would bring bad luck to both him and her.

Then, he sighed, getting ready for the big day.

 

The Flower Palace was filled busy busy maids and servants running around trying to get everything perfect for Prince Chanwol’s wedding. Decorations were being set up, gifts and presents were continuously sent in, and many special guests and visitors were invited. It was as busy as Yeonhwa’s birthday celebration a week ago.

Standing in the gazebo by the small pond, Yeonhwa gazed at the pretty lily pads. She wore a white top while wearing a baby blue hanbok dress that made her look stunning as always. Her hair was straightened down past her shoulders, down to her slim waist and back, and there were also little tiny braids trailing from her head and pinned to the back. If one was to look at her from afar, she looked like a princess from Heaven.

    

(Can't really see the front of the Hanbok, but you get the idea. ^^)

Though she had a mask of a calm face, deep down, she was kind of having a mini panic attack.

Today was the day. The day Hwayang will manage to get into the Flower Palace and meet her. She was not just nervous, she was petrified. As the days passed by, she suddenly wondered h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter