P: 21

PromiseS

“Oh, good morning Yixing-oppa,” Ye Na greeted as soon as she answered her phone.

“Did I wake you up?” Yixing asked.

“No, I was just getting out of bed when you called,” Ye Na assured.

“Did you have a good sleep?”

“Yeah, oppa. But I still can’t get over what happened last night. It seems like a dream to me,” She admitted.

“Me too,” Yixing whispered.

“Pardon?”

“I mean…have you checked my gift for you?” Yixing covered up, but he really called to ask that.

“Omo! I haven’t yet opened any of the gifts I received, but don’t worry, I have the whole day to rest so I’ll open it first thing later,” She answered.

“I hope you will like it. It’s not that special but I hope it will make you smile. I’ll hang up then.”

“Yeah, take care oppa,” she said and ended the call. She looked at all the gifts she received both from the EXO members and her fans, as well as the kids at the center with JB and Jhia.

She inched towards it and looked for Yixing’s gift. Soon as she took hold of it, she went to her bed, sat down and stared at it for a while.

She decided to open it and carefully tore the gift wrap. On top of the unwrapped box was a letter.

‘Ye Na, Happy birthday! I wish you more smiles and more love from everyone around you. I also wish for your success in everything you do. You told me once that you wanted someone to write you a song. I actually tried my best to write one since the day you told me about that. And here is what I’ve made. I hope you will like it. Happy birthday, my precious angel.—Yixing’

Ye Na placed the letter near the gift wrap and she immediately opened the box. She covered with her lips out of surprise. The box contained a headphone and an mp3 player. She slowly took it out of the box and looked at it for a while.

Then she placed the headphones on her head, towards her ears as she the player. She saw that it contained six files. She played the first one.

 It was not that easy

Since my life is messy

But you came, baby

And never leave me, I always pray

 

The melody was unfamiliar but it was very catchy and Ye Na can feel her heart connect with the song. She recognized Yixing voice right away.

 

Because you are heaven sent

Someone the Almighty has lent

Angel of my life

Stay with me for life

 

You are like a song

I’ll end up repeating all day long

But you are not like a story

That I’ll share to anybody.

 

I want everyone to know

Someone as lovely as you

I want to tell them about you

Because you’re someone everyone should know

 

You are the only treasure

That came in my life for sure

When everything seemed like a seizure

When everything is under pressure

You came, my most precious treasure

 

Because you are heaven sent

Someone the Almighty has lent

Angel of my life

Stay with me for life

 

My angel, my treasure

My everything, that’s for sure

Baby, let’s always be together

Let’s continue our journey to forever

 

Until the very last word of the word, Ye Na can feel Yixing’s emotion while he was singing it. And she didn’t realize she was crying, perhaps she was moved by Yixing’s thoughtfulness. She played the other songs and the lyrics were the same, except that the instrument and melody were changed.

The last version ended and she wanted more. She checked the mp3 player and it was such a waste that the instrumental was the last one in the list. She took her phone and dialed Yixing’s number.

“Oh?”

“Oppa,” she began.

“Are you crying?” Yixing was alarmed when he heard her sniffed and her voice changed.

“You made me cry, oppa. Is this what you call not special?! Thank you for the song. It was beautiful, I really love it,” she commented and chortled.

“Anything for my angel,” he said. ‘Anything for the girl I love,’ his subconscious added.

“Anyway, I really need to hang up. The shoot is still going on,” Yixing lied. He didn’t want to stay longer on the phone because he was afraid he might say what’s in his heart and complicate things between him and Ye Na.

“Arasso. Thank you once again oppa.” She said and ended the call. She took her speaker from her study table and plugged it in the mp3 player as she put the song on shuffle.

She took Xiumin’s gift to her and she was surprised to see a photo album and a CD. She opened the album and she almost cried for the second time. Xiumin collected all her stolen photos ever since they parted until they reunited. He put some captions and what captured her most was Xiumin’s caption on their recent photo. He was hugging her from the back as she formed a heart using her fingers. It said: “The best moment in my life was spending a second with you to take this photo. It was just for three seconds but I know I felt that you are the most important person in my life. I think I won’t even get married because I am busy protecting you. I promise to be your best brother forever.”

They had undergone a lot of hurtful moments and disappointment, a lot of harsh experiences because they were away from each other but then their sibling love has won over the challenges. He may not have kept some of his promises but he kept one of them and that is to stay as a great brother to her no matter what.

Then she took the CD and placed it on her laptop, it contained a video message from Xiumin, their parents and some of their close relatives who’ve been part of her life when Xiumin was away and busy reaching for his dreams.

After opening Xiumin’s gift, she saw Kyungsoo’s and when she opened it, she was surprised to see a memory card and a pink notebook.

There was a letter inserted in the notebook and it read:

‘Happy birthday, Ye Na! I know this may sound cheesy but while you are reading this, I’ve already confessed my feelings for you. I just hope that you’ll give me a chance. The pink notebook contains some poems I’ve written for you. I pasted it actually because I drew some design on the edges. I just filled half of the notebook and if you ever want to write one, you can use the remaining pages. You can also write song lyrics if you got the feeling. The content of the memory card is for you to see. Happy birthday, my music.’

Ye Na took the notebook and read all the poems. Among them was one which talks about a memory she can’t clearly remember but know it happened.

It was 11:30 AM on the dot

When you unexpectedly approached me

I thought you were just going to stand near me

But the moment that your tight-lips

Parted apart as you faced me,

I knew you were going to talk to me.

 

It was 11:32 AM on the dot

When our eyes met,

Our smiles were for each other

And we began to chat.

It wasn’t really something special

We talked about something natural

But I knew I felt totally delighted.

 

It was 11:35 AM on the dot

When you laughed

And we both felt excited

I knew it was a usual reaction

But my heart knew

There’s another meaning for ‘the’ reaction

And it wasn’t something I expected.

 

It was 11:40 AM on the dot

When you smiled

As you bid me goodbye

We had our last exchange of thanks

And our last exchange of eye contact.

I knew when we parted

That my heart skipped a beat for you

 

And it’s now 11:10 PM on the dot

But I can’t get you out of my mind.

It’s already going to be 11:15 pm on the dot

And here I am writing a poem for you

Because honestly,

Today, you made me feel alive.

And that you made me forget of those stressful things.

 

So before it turns into 11:30 PM on the dot,

I want you to remember that

Today, at 11:30 AM on the dot

My eyes met yours

And it melted away my gloominess inside.

And I am thankful for the whole 11:30 AM-PM journey

That you were with me…in my heart and mind

 

Ye Na smiled as she remembered Kyungsoo’s confession last night. He didn’t lie indeed. He had been feeling something special towards her and she thought that maybe, she just shrugged off the weird feelings that came to her back when Kyungsoo was around her.

She remembered the memory card so she took the mp3 player that Yixing gave her, she put the memory card in and she was surprised to see the list of songs. All the songs that she recommended to Kyungsoo was there and Kyungsoo made a cover for each of the songs. She played one of her favorites and she closed her eyes as she let Kyungsoo’s voice serenade her once again.

She listened to all the songs as she opened the rest of the gifts. She cleaned all the mess from the boxes and gift wraps before she organized all the gifts on her right side cabinet. It was designed for her collections and this time, new things were added there as well as new memories.

---

It was the final shooting for the drama and the whole crew wanted to go out on a party. Kyungsoo, however, asked Ye Na not to go and go out with him instead. Ye Na almost declined Kyungsoo’s offer but she was really tired and going out on a drink is not a good way to relax so she asked permission from her manager if she could go out with Kyungsoo. She told him everything about her and Kyungsoo and he just can’t believe what he heard. But when he saw that Ye Na was really tired, he permitted her with the condition of going home after an hour.

Kyungsoo drove his own car and after a few minutes, they arrived at Han River. Kyungsoo took one of his cap at the backseat and placed it on Ye Na’s head. He also took out a Jacket and asked her to wear it since her outfit isn’t appropriate for the coldness of the weather. Before they finally went out, Kyungsoo took the food in the car trunk.

They walked silently as the sound of the night creatures became more evident.

“I don’t really want to go at the party, thank you for bringing me here.” Ye Na admitted.

“I didn’t want to go either. And I am thankful that you are here with me,” Kyungsoo confessed and signaled Ye Na to take a sit on the bench.

“Do you always come here, Oppa?”

“Sometimes, when I needed to breath,” He answered.

“Life of an idol is harder than an artist. I understand how you feel oppa,” she commented.

“Here, have some corndog.” Kyungsoo offered. Ye Na smiled and took it.

“Oppa…” She began.

“Oh?”

“After this drama, will we ever get to bond again?”

“Of course! I am courting you and I will find ways to bond with you. I won’t let the ending of this drama stop me from seeing you,” Kyungsoo replied confidently.

Ye Na smiled and looked up at the sky.

“Stars, did you hear that? I will still see Kyungsoo-oppa. You have to note that, okay? You are my witnesses here,” She chortled.

“Stars, I promise to make Ye Na happy and I promise to meet her every time she needs someone or even a lot of times in a day. I promise…I won’t hurt her. I promise to love her even if she tells me not to. You are my witness in my promise, okay?” Kyungsoo yelled as he laughed too.

They eat the foods Kyungsoo took for both of them as they share stories that they never even talked about openly to other people.

When they were done, Kyungsoo dropped Ye Na to her apartment. Before they parted ways, Kyungsoo inched near her and she held her breath because of the closeness they are in. She is an inch away from Kyungsoo. Then Kyungsoo slowly kissed her on her forehead.

Ye Na knew right then and there that she had admitted to herself that she is indeed in love with him too.

She hugged him tight and they both knew they were in love with each other. They both knew that day became the most memorable day in their life.