Chapter 17

Stuck With Five Guys For Three Months

 

 

I really can’t believe this is happening. I can’t believe that my other childhood best friend is here.  Like seriously, I feel like this is a dream.

 

He looked different but there’s still this geeky side of him that’s left within him. And I really liked that he didn’t change everything.  

 

I can still remember my childhood days like it was just a few days back. I remember when a group of kids bullies me for being thin. To my rescue, little Dong-Wook pushed one of the kids while lil’ Il-Woo kicked the leader on his leg.

 

After that moment, both my best friends swore that no one would hurt me and they’ll always protect me no matter what.

 

Until now, I held that promise.

 

Whenever I get bullied by girls or guys, they were always by my side. I was really thankful because without them, I’d always be bruised whenever I get home every day.

 

When my parents decided to live abroad, it was really hard to part ways with Dong-Wook and Il-Woo. It was heartbreaking, even. I didn’t know how I was going to break the news to them but when I finally let it out, they cried and hugged me.

 

They still insisted in sending me away even if it hurts like hell.

 

I told them that I’d be in touch and I’d never forget about them. I kept that promise while I was away, but Il-Woo suddenly stopped emailing me.

 

And that was where our connection starts drifting away. It broke my heart but I it up and thought that he’s better off to find a new best friend that will stick around with him. Not like me who was so far away.

 

But I was curious as to why he stopped making an effort to talk to me, to keep in touch.

 

So I asked, “Why did you stop emailing me?”

 

He shakes his head.  “It’s nothing, really.”

 

I looked at him suspiciously.

 

Was it because he found a replacement of me? Because if that’s the case, that would really f**king hurt.

 

But he said otherwise. “I thought I was keeping you away from finding friends in America... I thought I was holding you back... And I thought you were better off without me, a sore loser geek.”

 

He has a reasonable alibi but I was so pissed off that I kicked him. 

 

I looked at him as he hoped on one leg. “You’re my best friend so how could you think that? Didn’t you think that it had hurt me when you stopped reaching out?” And it really did. Like hell. I could kill him right now if I don’t love this guy.

 

“I’m so sorry, Dara.” He said, sounding sincere as he held my hands on his own. “Forgive me?”

 

And if I might add, he’s looking at me with hope and regret in his eyes. Damn. He knows I have soft spots for those kinds of expressions especially if it’s coming from someone I care about.

 

“Oh what the hell,” I lunged myself at him, hugging him so tight that he almost can’t breathe. “Just promise never to leave me like that.”

 

I pulled away and did a childish pinky swear with Il-Woo. I’m a child at heart, sue me.

 

“Aww. Isn’t this a happily-ever-after kind of reunion?” Dong-Wook teases but he still looks so damn happy to see the three of us together again.

 

I looked at Il-Woo knowingly. He understood the message immediately. We fixed our gaze to Dong-Wook with a straight face. Dong-Wook,”

 

“Yes?” My dear Dong-Wook grins triumphantly, like we’re about to thank him for this lovely reunion.

 

But for the next few words that Il-Woo and I spoke together, Dong-Wook’s expression turns into a scowl. “Shut up,”

 

My geeky but hottie best friend and I laugh so hard at that reaction.

 

We, Il-Woo and I, always say that when Dong-Wook’s being mighty and proud. He should’ve seen that one coming.

 

Ah, good times. Good times.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

We got back at the apartment before 7AM, since I still needed to get ready for work. The guys were so surprised to see Il-Woo with me and Dong-Wook when we entered the apartment. They even looked like someone’s invading their territory and they needed to protect it. Like how a mother dog protects her puppies or something.

 

“Guys, I need to re-introduce you again to this man right here.” I gesture to Il-Woo with a cheeky grin. I’m just so happy that all of this had happened. “Guys this is Il-Woo, my other childhood best friend.”

 

And the guys’ expressions were priceless. They all looked at all three of us with a look that says, ‘What the hell?’

 

I wanted to tell them, ‘I know right’.

 

“I think I forgot to tell you that Dong-Wook wasn’t the only bestfriend I have in Korea.” They gave me the ‘duh’ expression. I laugh a little. “And I didn’t even know that my other childhood bestfriend was Il-Woo the first time I saw him. He just looked different.” I looked at Il-Woo. Yep, totally different. I know it’s wrong to look at him differently but I can’t help it. He’s just… just… ugh!!!

 

“Good different?” There goes the smug smirk again on Il-Woo’s lips. Damn, Woo-Geek doesn’t smirk. Woo-Geek grins. Things really did change, in a good way.

 

I just roll my eyes at him before snickering.

 

Then... Crickets. Crickets. Crickets.

 

“Guys?” I looked at them expectantly. Any response guys? Nothing?

 

“I’m happy for you,” Seunghyun stands up from the couch before going to his room.

 

DongHae was the second one to speak. “Excuse him, he’s just really not good with strangers.” He looks at Seunghyun’s room with a calculative expression before looking back at Il-Woo. With a casual smile, he stretches out a hand to him. Il-Woo politely shook it. “I’m DongHae, these are Nichkhun, Gikwang and Mir. And the guy that left to his room… that was Seunghyun. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

Il-Woo smiles and nods at all of them.

 

After a few moments, DongWook clears his throat. “Hey guys, mind if I leave you two for a few. I just have something to talk about with Seunghyun.”

 

I nod understandingly. “Go ahead, just be out before I leave for work.”

 

“Sure,” he kisses my cheek before going to Seunghyun’s room.

 

I wonder what’s with Seunghyun though…

 

But oh well, he did treat me the same when we met in this apartment.

 

“I think we need to catch up. You know, make up for the lost time?” Il-Woo breaks through my thoughts.

 

I blinked at him, before nodding. “Oh, sure. Let’s go to my room.”

 

I hear Nichkhun clear his throat, catching my attention.

 

He looks at me warningly. I roll my eyes and tell him through them that everything’s fine and there’s nothing to worry about.

 

With that, I led Il-Woo to my room.

 

“So, may I ask why you’re living with five guys who are practically strangers to you?” Il-Woo asked the question I’ve been expecting to hear from him.

 

After a defeated sigh, I explained everything to him.  He listened attentively and didn’t interrupt me while I was talking.

 

But after I was done telling my story, he suddenly ask, “Why don’t you just live with me?”

 

Just by thinking of leaving the guys made me shake my head no. We laid down on my bed by now. Il-Woo is on the right side.

 

“You can’t? Why?” Il-Woo frowned.

 

“I just… can’t leave them. Well… I know I’ll leave them after a few more months but they’ve become family, you know?” I looked at my best friend hoping he’d understand.

 

“Family? All of them?” He looks at me suspiciously. I squirm a little under his gaze. “Come on, Dara. I know when you lie even if it’s been years since we’ve met.”

 

I sigh. Yeah, there’s no point in lying to him. “There’s these two…”

 

“DongHae and Seunghyun,” He nods to himself.

 

I was left confused as to how he knew. “How did you-?” He just shrugs in reply.

 

I sighed in defeat. “Yeah,”

 

He nods understandingly. “So what about them?”

 

“I think… I like them… more than just a family.” I said slowly since I was also processing those words to my brain. Damn. I like them.

 

“And you’re confused, right?” Il-Woo nods again.

 

I gasp, a bit dramatically I tell you. “Are you a mind-reader?”

 

He scowls at me. “I know what confused look like. And you were frowning when you said ‘more than a family’ which tells me that you are confused.”

 

I sighed. I’m really in a huge trouble, huh?

 

“Is it confused who to like or are you confused if you could leave them after Christmas?”

 

I think for a moment before shrugging. “Both,”

 

“Well they’re one lucky bastards to have caught your attention, Ssantokki.” He shifted to the side, facing me. “Okay, I’ve watched this show on TV… pretend that I’m them and talk to me.”

 

“Seriously?” I look at him like he’s crazy. Because it’s a crazy idea and I can’t look at Il-Woo like I like him more than as a friend or something

 

“Sure,” He shrugs.

 

“I can’t do that!” I huffed.

 

“Why not?” He frowns before his eyes looked like there was a lighten bulb in them. He looks at me, grinning. “Wait…You like me too? You can’t imagine those guys faces because you’re so busy looking at mine?”

 

“You’ve become a jerk, you know that?” I said in my in-a-matter-of-fact tone of my voice.

 

He chuckled, thinking what I said was amusing. “Okay, let’s stop talking and get on with us. You know maybe you can hug me? Or if you’d like I’d let you kiss me.” He wiggles his eyebrows on me before leaning into me.

 

I gasped. “Ugh! Jerk!”

 

He was still leaning in and before I know it he was on top of me and tickling me. I was giggling madly. “Il-Woo!” I said, panting and trying to stop him.

 

I finally pushed him to the side when I got the chance. I was on top now.

 

“You *pant* are *pant* so *pant*… dead.” I collapsed my head on his chest. God, I’m so dead tired. I knew I shouldn’t have wrestled with someone as fit as Il-Woo.

 

Someone clears their throat. It was Dong-Wook. “Are you done making-up for the lost time or should I say are you done making out?”

 

I noticed the position Il-Woo and I are in; I was straddling his waist while my head was on the side of his neck. I immediately got off of Il-Woo and defensively say, “We were not making out, you !” I also threw a pillow at him, by the way.

 

It hit his head.  Ha! Bulls eye!

 

But then he throws it back and it hits my head. “Bulls eye,” He says, smirking.

 

I huffed and got off the bed. “You two, pick my outfit for today while I go shower.” I ordered before walking to my bathroom.

 

“I’m not going to touch your underwear!” Dong-Wook yelled with disgust.

 

I roll my eyes. “I’m saying shirts and jeans, not my underwear, you .”

 

I leave the two and enter my bathroom. God, so much has happened and I’m feeling so hyped and full of energy.

 

And I thank the heavens for that. Thank you.

 

 


 

 

“I wish I had those really handsome bestfriends in my life,” Hyoyeon pouted a little. I had immediately told her about my reunion with my other bestfriend when I met her at the coffee shop.

 

“Well they’ll only bring you headaches so I hope you won’t.” I deadpanned. Those two guys really give me headache, especially before both of them left me here. They were arguing about my outfit which they both chose for me.

 

I was wearing a white printed shirt over a blue hoodie, black denim jeans and suede boots. 

 

Dong-Wook picked the black jeans, Il-Woo picked the printed shirt and I picked the boots.

 

Dong-Wook wanted me to wear something more stylish than the printed shirt I wore while Il-Woo wanted me to wear blue denim jeans instead of the black ones.

 

Gosh, can you imagine the headache I’ve been through while they argue back and forth while I was in between them?

 

Hyoyeon suddenly broke through my thoughts. “And by the way, I think Seunghyun’s jealous.” I told her about how Seunghyun acted towards Il-Woo and this was her opinion on the topic.

 

But jealousy? Really? That’s impossible. “Why would he? And he doesn’t think of me in a way that he’ll feel jealous.”

 

“Then why would he act like that if he wasn’t jealous? If you can give me a nice answer, I’d admit that maybe I was wrong.” Hyoyeon looked at me expectantly.

 

I racked my brains for answers and this is what I came up with, “Well, maybe he’s sick? Going through some tough times? I don’t know. But what I know is that he’s not jealous. He thinks of me as nothing but a girl that he lives with. Like I’m one of his brothers or something.”

 

Hyoyeon sighs before shrugging. “I don’t know, D. Maybe you’re right. Maybe you’re wrong.”

 

I just really can’t imagine Seunghyun being jealous of Il-Woo and I. It’s impossible, right?

 

 


 

 

Later that afternoon, it was already the end of my shift and DongHae surprised me when he showed up, telling he’ll accompany me home.

 

“You really shouldn’t have bothered… I’m perfectly fine going home myself, really.” I said as we walk down the street to where our apartment was.

 

“It’s not a big deal. And besides, what if I was the one who’s not perfectly fine going home alone?” He said, smiling a little.

 

I thought for a moment why wouldn’t he be fine going home alone. Then that fateful day that the guys were mobbed flashed to my brain.

 

Oh! ”The fans… Well I’m happy to protect you, Mr. Lee.” I curtly said, to show professionalism and confidence of a personal bodyguard. Bodyguards are like that right? Rude and super serious.

 

He laughed. “Well I’m happy to have chosen you as my personal bodyguard.” 

 

I was still playing along as his bodyguard (looking around for suspicious people, blocking his way when there’s a passerby and imagining I have a tiny mic on my wrist where I speak ‘the coast is clear’) when I stopped dead on my tracks as I notice three expensive looking cars were parked in front of our building and guys that wore black suits were standing beside it.

 

Omo! Is the South Korean president here? <*mentally checking if I look fine and presentable*>

 

“You really need a brain filter at times,” DongHae chuckled. Gosh, I really think I need a brain filter ‘coz I just said that ‘South Korean President’ comment out loud.

 

I had the nerve to walk up to one of the guys in black suits and say, “Excuse me,”

 

The guy just looks down at me.

 

“Uh… Is some kind of celebrity in here or something?” I asked, nodding towards the cars and our building.

 

“No, ma’am.” The guy curtly said before looking straight up to nowhere in particular.

 

Oh, so this is how real bodyguards act like. Talk in few words or not talk at all and never be distracted by a cute girl who’s intrigue of what’s happening.

 

Then suddenly, the man-of-few-words-bodyguard ran to the entrance of our building.

 

He opens the door for someone who looks slightly old (middle-aged, maybe) who was dressed like a boss in his expensive tux.

 

Then it struck me who the person was when I intently looked at his face. “You’re Seunghyun’s father, aren’t you? Oh gosh! You look just like him!” I excitedly said as I moved closely to where the old man is.

 

The guards immediately blocks my way. I told them I mean no harm and if I ever had that intention in mind, I would have brought something dangerous with me. Like a gun, knife or something. But they didn’t budge.

 

Lesson number three in the bodyguard 101: don’t let strangers get too close with the client.

 

The old man looks at me before he orders his guards to step away from me.  

 

Thank you.

 

The old man nods at me. “Yes, young lady. I am his father.”

 

“Oh my gosh!” I cleared my throat to control my super excited self. “I’m Park Sandara, nice to meet you.” I said formally before offering him a hand-shake.

 

The old man smiles which made the side of his eyes wrinkled which shows he’s really old. He clasps his hand on mine while he says, “Choi Hyun Gyu,”

 

DongHae joins me. He bows a little as he acknowledges the old man. “Mr. Choi.”

 

The old man nods. “Dong-Hae,”

 

“If you don’t mind me asking, sir, why are you here?” Dong-Hae asked politely.

 

Seunghyun’s father smiles a little. “I tried to talk to him but just like always, I failed. He’s really stubborn just like me.”

 

He’s talking about Seunghyun, I think.

 

“It’ll take time, sir.” DongHae looks at the Mr. Choi with a little sadness.

 

“I know.” Mr. Choi smiles sadly. “I better go. It’s really nice meeting you Sandara.” He says to me with a little smile.

 

“You too, sir.” I smiled but not too widely like a while ago. I didn’t want to appear so happy while he seem so sad and dejected.

 

“Mr. Choi.” DongHae bows in respect before the guards escorted the old man to one of the expensive cars.

 

With one last wave and a small smile to us, the cars sped off.

 

As the car vanishes from my sight, I wonder if there’s a deeper meaning behind the situation Mr. Choi and his son are in. And if it also the reason why Seunghyun seem so anti-social and feel like he hated the world or something like that.

 

And is it really possible for a father and his son not to talk for years?

 


 

 

AN: Conflicts between families…  A part of how our mysterious,Seunghyun, became who he is right now...

Anyway, I’m really sorry for taking so long to update. School stuffs are being really harsh on me so I hope you guys understand.

So yeah… see you next chapter! :)