Chapter 16

Stuck With Five Guys For Three Months

 

 

“I just realized that you’re really tall and you’re making me feel like I’m a dwarf.”

 

We were standing by the shore of the river, looking out to the breathtaking view before us. We just finished eating and we’re now drinking alcohol.

 

It’s just beer though. The small amount of alcohol was starting to relax my nerves as time passes. And that’s why I don’t have a verbal filter right now.

 

It stopped snowing for about half an hour now but it’s still cold though. The only thing that keeps us warm was the trash-like-drum with burning fire inside it.

 

Seunghyun chuckles. “You should’ve noticed that since the start.”

 

Hearing him chuckle was really fascinating for me. He doesn’t usually show happiness very much so I was really happy to hear and see it even just for a few seconds.

 

“You should laugh a lot.” There goes the lack of my verbal filter.

 

He looks at me with a frown.

 

“Uh. You know, you’re good looking right?”

 

His lips break out into a cocky grin. “You think I’m good-looking?”

 

“I didn’t actually say that.” I scrunched my nose ‘coz I’m trying hard to pick the right words to say so he won’t know that I really think he’s good-looking. “But whatever, you’ll look good more if you smile and laugh a lot.”

 

Cocky grin was still in place.  “Well I really don’t want to look good more than I already am.”

 

I scowled. “You’re so arrogant, did you know that? It’s annoying.”

 

Gosh! I need my verbal filter back!

 

He laughs out loud and it made me flush in embarrassment. “Would you like to sit at the car? I don’t want to get both of us sick from the cold.” He said after. His eyes still held that amusement on them.

 

The car was just a few steps from us so it took me a few seconds before I was on the front passenger seat.

 

Seunghyun followed and sat next to me. At the driver’s seat, I mean.

 

He the heater since we needed it to keep warm.

 

I take another swig of my beer, to calm my nerves more. I was still a bit flustered with the whole ‘good-looking’ comment I just said a few seconds ago. And I was sure my cheeks were tinted with pink or almost to red, not because of the weather but because of the man sitting just beside me.

 

“To be fair, I think you’re pretty.”

 

I coughed harshly before asking, “W-what?”

 

“I said, I think you’re pretty.” His brows furrow as he looks at me. “Was that such a surprise for you? Haven’t guys in America told something like that to you before?”

 

“They did but I really didn’t believe them. Well look at me… I have a small face, petite figure and unique voice. I don’t think that’s pretty.” I said with a shake of the head. Pretty for me is girls with curves, tall, beautiful voice and face and that’s not me.

 

“You really don’t see yourself clearly, huh?” As I look intently into his eyes, I see this intense emotion behind it and I didn’t know why but I really can’t break my eyes away from it.

 

I cleared my throat, effectively breaking the moment we just had. “Anyway, when do you guys start training?”

 

He blinks and just like that, the intense expression in his eyes disappears. But I think I hear him sigh in defeat. “We’ll start the day after tomorrow. I’m not the type that gets nervous but remembering that I’m finally taking a step forward towards one of my dreams, I’m starting to be one.”

 

“You’ll do well. I’m sure of that.” I tried reassuring him. “Like seriously, you’re good-looking and talented so there’s no reason to feel anxious. I bet girls in that company would fall on their knees once they see you.”

 

He laughs a little. “You’re exaggerating. ”

 

“Have you forgotten all the teenage girls that mobbed you yesterday? Clearly, I’m not exaggerating.”

 

He takes a swig on his beer and I think I heard him mutter, “She’s the only one that doesn’t notice me.”

 

“What did you just say?” I ask, wanting to be clear that I heard what he said right.

 

He snapped his head at me before shaking his head. “I didn’t say anything.”

 

“No, I heard it. You said something about a girl that doesn’t notice you.” I said, a bit desperate to know about this girl. I’m a bit jealous though. Just a bit. Like a dot or something.

 

He locks his eyes on mine before he shakes his head again. “I didn’t say anything like that.”

 

I huffed, giving up. Guess he really don’t want to share about this girl. “Alright. Maybe I  heard it wrong.”

 

He looks away before mumbling, “Yeah, you probably did.”

 

I drank the last drop on my beer. Then a thought suddenly popped inside my head. I turned my body to him as I face him with excitement. “Let’s do the 20 questions thingy.”

 

I wanted to unveil the mystery of Choi Seunghyun. Even if it was only one-fourth of who he really is.

 

He chuckles. “Okay,”

 

“What’s your favorite color?” Lame. I know. But that’s the only question that popped inside my head. Remember, I have no verbal filter at the moment.

 

And Seunghyun also thinks that it’s lame because he throws his head backwards and laughs heartily. “Seriously? You’re asking me about my favorite color?” I raised one eyebrow at him to show that I’m being serious. “Fine… It’s green. What about yours?”

 

“It’s either red or pink.” I answer while fiddling with the hem of my shirt. I really wasn’t that comfortable sharing stuffs at him but I wanted to know him so I had to answer.  “Winter or summer?”

 

“Winter,” He smiles with that answer. It was like he had a hidden secret that he only knows. It intrigues me a bit. “It’s my turn. What’s your first impression of me?”

 

I snorted an answer. “Arrogant,” It was really unladylike but whatever. “How about me?” I look at him cautiously. I was dying to hear him answer that question since I wanted to get inside his head when he looked at me that first day I met him.

 

He looked lost with his thoughts before the side of his lips turns up into a lopsided smile. “Helpless girl,”

 

“So you did feel a bit pity towards me that first day we met!” I said, accusing. I shoot daggers at him through my eyes. He thought I was helpless but he didn’t show any pity or the help that I needed. Damn him.

 

“I did. I just didn’t know how to act on it…” He looked shy for just this moment and it kind of made me forget that he didn’t help me back then. “…I don’t usually talk to people other than my friends or when it’s necessary.”

 

“I was looking at you with my puppy eyes and you didn’t fall for it!” My face a mask of true annoyance. “I disliked you at that exact moment.”

 

“I helped.”

 

I looked at him questioningly.

 

Once again, shy Seunghyun appears.

 

He looked uncomfortable as he says the next few words, “I sent DongHae to you.”

 

I was lost at what he said. “You sent DongHae to me?”

 

“Yeah,” He’s still looking uncomfortable as he tries his best to look anywhere but me. “I told him to see the girl outside our apartment and that she might need some help.”

 

I clapped my hands over my mouth. This is such a nice twist. “Oh my gosh! So you were the nice guy after all?”

 

I can’t believe this is really happening.

 

He finally looks at me. I didn’t know why but he looked serious at that moment. “He’s still the nice guy. He helped and talked to you. Not me.”

 

“Okay… but you’ll be the Mr. Subtle guy for now on.”

 

That’s my way of trying to lighten the mood that was suddenly turned serious.

 

And I guess I succeeded. He had this smug smirk that makes me swoon and annoy at the same time. “Subtle, huh?” I noticed one thing. He was leaning forward, so dangerously.

 

“Oh God!” In my way to escape, I abruptly shot my knees up to the seat and slammed my back on the door. Sh*t that hurts.

 

But God knows I was ready to use karate or those martial arts stuffs right at that moment.

 

I was so serious in beating him up if he dare continue his advances on me when he suddenly laughs hard again. You know, with throwing your head backwards and almost rolling on the ground laughing hysterically that it turns silent and you’re just there clapping your hands on your knees or anywhere like a seal.

 

But instead he was slamming his hands on the steering wheel while his laughter turned silent.

 

God, I dislike this guy.

 

“Shut up,” I scowled at his shaking with laughter form.

 

His laughter somehow dies down for a second. “What were you about to do if I continued what I was doing? Was that karate?” And then he’s laughing again.

 

“Yes that’s karate. I learnt that when I was a kid.” I said, proudly. But he laughed more after hearing that. I groan in annoyance. “I’m going to kick you real hard if you don’t stop laughing in this instant.”

 

I raised my leg towards his lying form.

 

And he stopped laughing. Finally.

 

“Finally,” I muttered. I sat back on my seat while shooting deathly glares at him in the process. “Have you had enough of your fun?”

 

“Yeah, thank you.” He answers, sounding sincere and teasing. I looked at him menacingly but I knew I looked like a kitten snarling which is not scary at all. “It’s been awhile since I laughed that hard. Thank you.” He smiled warmly at me.

 

Oh... There go the tingles in my stomach.

 

“Yeah. Sure. No problem.” I said dryly. It’s just an act though to conceal the tingles that I’m feeling inside. “It’s not like my pride for my karate skills wasn’t damaged by that laughter.”

 

He chuckles. “I’m sorry about that. But you still made someone laugh isn’t that like an accomplishment? For me, I like making people close to me happy. It gives me a nice feeling.”

 

“Sure but it’s really a bit insulting.” I still kept my bitter act. Gosh, it’s really nice to hear him say that I made him happy. “It would have been an accomplishment if I told a joke and you laughed or if I gave you something you liked. But my karate’s not a joke to be laughed at.” I pouted a little for effect.

 

“Come on. I already apologized, didn’t I?” He looked at me with puppy-dog-eyes.

 

It really doesn’t suit him since his features are a bit intimidating than the cutesy kind.

 

But since he’s trying hard I’d accept his apology, though I wasn’t really that angry at him for laughing at my karate.

 

“Okay,” I offered my hand to him. “Peace,”

 

He smirk a little as he envelops his big hand on my little one. “Peace,”

 

For a second, it surprised me how soft his hand was. Then I remember that he’s a rich kid.

 

Our hands lingered for more seconds than the casual handshake.

 

And as we noticed that, we pulled our hands away and laugh nervously at ourselves.

 

I guess this playful and friendly side of our relationship was all thanks to the beer. It made us feel comfortable with each other and talk more than the usual us which was at times arguing and snickering.

 

“Let’s sober up a bit so we could go home.” He says after a few seconds of silence. “It’s getting late.” He glances towards the time on his car.

 

I laugh a little. “Yeah. They’re probably worried why we still haven’t arrived home. I just hope they’re not calling some enforcers to find us.”

 

We got out of the car and walked back to the restaurant to buy some water to sober us up and as we drink up our water bottles, I was lost in my thought.

 

I thought before this little bubble of ours end, I was sure of one thing.

 

I wanted to know more all about Choi Seunghyun.

 

And vice versa.

 

 


 

 

It was the next morning when I woke up from being shaken.

 

“ off! Stop bothering me!” I pushed the hands on my shoulder away. The guys know not to disturb my sleep. They know what will happen if they ever did. So it annoys me that one of them is waking me up right now.

 

The shaking didn’t stop and I had to sit up and elbow the stomach of whoever was waking me. I did all of that with my eyes closed ‘coz I was still so sleepy that I can’t open them.

 

I hear a male ‘oomf’ like air was knocked out of him.

 

Hmf. Serves him right for disturbing my beauty sleep.

 

I lay back down on the bed, going back to sleep.

 

I was one step away from going back to dreamland when a familiar voice shouts on my ear. “DARA!!!!”

 

I cringed. I finally opened my eyes, as I glare to whoever shouted at me.

 

It was Dong-Wook. Why the heck is he here?

 

“What the hell! Why did you do that for?” I annoyingly said, holding my now ringing ear.

 

He shrugs like it’s not a big deal. Like my ringing ear is not a big deal. Jerk. “You won’t wake up so I had no choice.”   

 

I kicked him of the bed, which he was sitting at. The sound of the contact of his on the floor made me feel like I’ve got my revenge.

 

So sweet.

 

“Ow! You’re such a violent person!” He stands up, rubbing his .

 

I sat up, bringing my pillow on my lap. “Well it’s your damn fault. Why are you here anyway?”

 

He grins suddenly. “I have a surprise for you.”

 

I cocked an eyebrow, a bit suspicious on what surprise he has for me. “What kind of surprise is that?”

 

He grins widely, looking excited. “Just get ready then we’ll head out and see your surprise. You’ll like it for sure.”

 

“Now?” I asked, sounding hesitant. My bed is still tempting me to get back to it and sleep and I’m getting convinced bit by bit.

 

“Now,” Dong-Wook nods eagerly.

 

“But it’s too early!” I complained with a pout.

 

“This surprise will be worth it not to get back to bed.”

 

I observed Dong-Wook for a moment.

 

Fine, if he says I’d like it then I’ll do what he says.

 

I trust him after all.

 

“Fine.” I get up from my bed. “Wait for me outside while I get ready.”

 

Dong-Wook almost squealed like a girl before he started skipping out of the room. Yep, I really said that word; skipping.

 

I chuckle before entering my bathroom.

 

After half an hour, I got out of my room. I noticed it was only 5AM.

 

. That’s too early.

 

“Let’s go,” I said to Dong-Wook who was lounging on the couch at the living room.

 

How he got inside the apartment was a mystery to me. I know for a fact that the guys don’t wake up for like two to four more hours so they didn’t open the door for Dong-Wook for sure.

 

Maybe he has a spare key. Yeah that’s probably it.

 

We got out of the apartment building and started walking. I had asked Dong-Wook a couple of times on what and where this surprise is but he says if he tells me then that spoils the true meaning of ‘surprise’.

 

Suddenly, Dong-Wook stops on his tracks so did I. I looked around and realized we’re now at the playground.

 

In one of the swings, there’s a figure sitting on it. I can’t see clearly if it’s a guy or a girl since the light of the lamp post was placed on his back making the person’s front figure look like a dark shadow.

 

“That’s your surprise,” Dong-Wook says, smiling widely while nodding towards the direction of the figure on the swing.

 

Just then, the figure stands up. The lamp post nearby lights the person’s face enough for me to notice who the person was.

 

Il-Woo, the mysterious but Good Samaritan that I met a few days back.

 

“He’s my surprise? What do you mean by that?” I desperately asked Dong-Wook as Il-Woo starts walking towards where I stand. And he had this also annoying smug smirk again. Why do all handsome but annoying guys do that?

 

Il-Woo was now standing in front of me with that irritating smirk on his lips. “I told you I’ll see you again.”

 

I stared at Dong-Wook in confusion.

 

“Dara, this is Il-Woo, or as we called him before Woo-Geek.” Dong-Wook excitedly introduced the guy in front of me.

 

Woo-Geek?

 

Woo-Geek…

 

Woo-Geek!

 

I think I just dropped my jaw on the ground.

 

So that’s why his name was so familiar to me! He’s Woo-Geek, my other childhood bestfriend besides Dong-Wook!

 

Holy Sh*t!

 

He changed a lot! Like A LOT.

 

We call him Woo-Geek because he was a geek. You know, a kid that loves studying so much that he’s always reading his books and has this super geeky thick-rimmed-eyeglasses.

 

But now... Fudge me. He didn’t look one bit of a geek. He looked like a famous model or something.

 

No wonder I didn’t realize sooner that he was the Woo-Geek that I know.

 

Il-Woo smiles crookedly. “Miss me?”

 

I was still lost for words so instead I launched myself at him, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck.

 

“God, I missed you! It’s been so long!” I mumble on the side of his neck. All three of us had this really memorable childhood history and I missed him so much.

 

He smells really good, too.

 

I hear him chuckle before I feel his firm-muscled-arms wrap around my waist, pulling me closer, and his breath on my hair, tickling me a bit. “I missed you too, Ssantokki.”

 

Dong-Wook was right. I really did like my surprise.

 

 


 

 

 

AN: Okay… it’s been awhile since I’ve updated and I missed your comments so please leave some on the comment box.  Thank you! :)