Chapter 10

The Stranger

Mirai POV

He can't have simply left the sports day when he agreed to come, oh well i could have thought too highly of my own influential power - come to think of it, no one ever listens to me except Ryosuke. Then again, he wouldn't have left without his bag. Carrying his bag, I was with all nervousness as I looked around for him with Umika and Sora close behind. There were too many people in the seats by now, and there's no telling where he is. 

"Try calling him..." Sora suggested and we headed to one corner where it's quieter. I felt the vibration from his phone. I know it's wrong to search his bag without his permission, but I searched for his phone nonetheless and realised he didn't even bring it along. There wasn't much things in his bag, just his wallet, his phone and and a book.

"I will search the school, you girls don't have to come along."

"Huh, you will miss the sports day. You don't get to play already, now you're gonna miss watching the match" Umika said. I know they feel sorry for me missing the whole thing but I can't watch it with my mind if I know somewhere out there Ryosuke may be in trouble.

"It's okay. If I can find him in 30 minutes, I will be able to watch the relay." I reassure them it's okay, and I rushed off with my hands gripping his bag in expression of how afraid I was. What was I exactly afraid of, that he will get hurt by someone? I could almost imagine the vandals of his locker treating him like a punchbag and no matter how he shouted for help, no passerbys would. That was once my nightmare and it may be a reality. It was too realistic, especially after the ruffians who attacked Saki happened not too long ago. School violence isn't uncommon in Tokyo, I learnt, and I'm not gonna wait till Ryosuke becomes a target. I ran and ran against the cold wind and there just isn't anyone. I told myself not to despair but the thoughts he would just disappear before my eyes was frightening. My legs weakened. I sat at his seat in class, hugging his bag tightly. i could smell his sweet cologne and that smell is so comforting. 

I hear the announcement for the 4X400 relay starting next, and I knew I will have to miss it. A few tears rolled out uncontrollably, wetting his bag.

"Ryosuke, where are you...?"

I jumped at the abrupt ringing of my phone. "Moshi moshi"

"Mirai, come to the fields now!!" Umika was shouting over the noise in the background. 

"I don't think I'm going..."

"You're not gonna regret this! Just come!" Umika shouted back and then the phone disengaged. I was reluctant but it couldn't disappoint my friends. I dragged my feet to the fields and I could see the contestants of the senior classes getting ready for the relay. There were so many girls crowding in the front, each holding uchiwas of that favourite senior, cheering them on like fangirls. The scene is refreshing, bringing the spirit of a traditional sports even to a whole level.

"Mirai, there you are!" Umika came to me excitedly, clinging onto my arms as though she couldn't contain her exploding happiness. "Look at lane 1."

However disinterested I was, I looked where she indicated. It was difficult to know exactly what she wants me to look at, cause each lane has 4 students, each representing one class for the relay. There were at least 32 students on the tracks. But, as I looked closer at lane 1, I saw Kento preparing for the first round, then 2 others getting ready for the side, likely as the 2nd and 3rd runner. Then there beside them, may be the 4th runner. Donned in a white tee and shorts, his hazelnut brown hair shines under the direct sun. Even if there was a distance between us, his charm is hard to not notice. "Ryosuke?" 

"A guy from their class was so nervous he pulled out last minute. Kento persuaded Ryosuke to stand in as the 4th runner to represent the class."

"And he agreed?!" It was too good to believe. Umika nodded. I would like to believe that he wants to give himself a chance for the class to notice his good. My eyes was almost drawn completely to him, settling on him like there's only him in the world. I was feeling both excited and worried. I said I'll watch over him, now too, I stood clutching his bag tightly, praying for good luck on him.

Sora's voice could be heard over the entire field through the speakers, i could see her standing in the middle of it all, on the elevated platform.

"Minna-san! I am gonna humbly sing a tune to cheer for all athletes today. I hope you would join me to clap along to celebrate the spirit of togetherness, friendship and sports. In particular, I wanna dedicate this song to a new friend of mine. He's the final runner of lane 1, Yamada Ryosuke! Gambatte, senpai!" Sora turned to him. I was dumbfounded. Those who knew of him seemed just as dumbfounded as me, especially those from his class. There were giggles that mocked him, which I hope I could seriously walk over and give them a piece of my mind. But I was wrong, they won't all mocking him, they were cheering, the giggles were instead about their new found interest in the overshadowed charms of Ryosuke. Umika suddenly handed out a uchiwa to me, and it had the words "涼介、頑張れ!" It is decorated with luminous frills designed to capture attention.

"Heh?"

By then I realised their well prepared plans can't be only mobilised now. I'm thought Ryosuke's sudden replacement of his classmate wasn't merely a coincident. I looked at Umika with doubtful eyes.

"It's not what you think... That guy isn't faking. Kento said, he is too nervous to join in the relay. But... He actually told Kento sometime back. No one is keen to replace him, until Kento remembered there was Ryosuke who could possibly give a try. He managed to convince the class to let Ryosuke run for this."

"They accepted him?!"

"I guess you can say that..." But knowing how realistic people can be, the best bet is for Ryosuke to win the match. Our attention became drawn to Sora who serenaded the audience with her lively song. The strumming of her guitar along with the accompanying drum roll and base guitar, the band brought vibrancy and excitement to a new height. The adrenaline rush does not stop there, with the sounding of the gun, it signals the start of the relay. Kento was first of the four to run from his class, he was fast, but the other runners weren't far behind. Yet if we were to judge the race by the volume of the fan screams, Kento would win anyday. The girls were cheering so loud for him, I thought I was drowning. In contrast, the second runner didn't garner as much screams. However, the class united to scream for him. I felt the spirit as compared to Kento's turn. The second runner started lagging and by the third, their class was almost in last placing. It'll take a miracle for their class whose falling behind the first placing by a huge difference. The baton was finally passed to Ryosuke, and immediately, it seems there's hope for miracle. Ryosuke was almost flying at the speed he is running. He dashed past 7 runners and was aiming for the first placing. All of us held our breathe especially when the runner is too close to the finishing line. There really isn't much chance Ryosuke can catch up with him. The runner noticed Ryosuke close behind, he tried to widen the gap but perhaps he ran out of energy, so his body didn't speed up instead it slowed down. In a blink of an eye, Ryosuke ran past him and through the finishing line. The crowd reacted initially in shock, but as soon as everyone reconciled with the situation, Ryosuke's class roared with cheers! It is amazing how Ryosuke managed to win back the loss for his classmates in the second and third lapse, pulling the class from potentially the last placing to the first. It all happened in one round. 

I was so happy I ran straight to the fields. I don't exactly care if everyone is looking at me. I threw myself at him. He was sweating and panting profusely. He fell backwards with me at the top, but even so I disregarded the impending embarrassment from the many eyes. I refused to let go of him, hugging him tightly around his neck. His manly sweat, trickled down onto my skin. He lightly parted from me. "I'm sweaty.."

"I don't care. Even your sweat smells great!" I gave him my widest smile then continued to cling onto him like a glue. Well, it's true, he smells really great at everytime of the day. Wherever he went, it's unlikely you can't smell his presence. It's almost like he bathed in his cologne. I chuckled as I laid on his shoulders.

His class celebrated and I could see all of them accepting him. I walked up to Kento and said thank you.

"I'll befriend him. When I say it, I will do it. Besides, I think he's actually a much better guy than I thought." 

I smiled at Kento's remarks. The guys left to wash up. I sat at the stadium, now empty, with the space restoring to it's therapeutic quietness. The tranquility helped me reflect upon today's up and down. To be honest, its adrenaline rush after another. I may be experiencing alittle exhaustion. Retrieving Ryosuke's music player, I thought i could listen while waiting for him to be done. I plugged the earpieces into my ears then switched on the player. 

"Heh?!" I scrolled down and realised the music player doesn't have a single song. Then all these time, when he plugged in , there wasn't any songs played? I didn't know how to react. I was stunned beyond words, worried, fearful? His bag dropped from my arms as it gave way. As I picked it up, a bottle of white tablets revealed from inside the bag. It's rude to rummage through his bag, but at that point, i only thought seeing it will allow me to know him better. The bottle is almost full. I googled the name of the medicine and it's exactly what I thought. Hasn't he been following his medication? Wouldn't he suffer a relapse if he don't? I began to worry for his health, and there wasn't at all fear for my personal safety. I understood one thing...that I possibly have accepted the whole of him regardless of how he will be, healthy or unhealthy. I've grown to accept he is the Ryosuke I wanna watch over! That repeated belief has become an absolute fact, and I'm glad for this fact to become ingrained in me.

"Mirai?"

The love of my life appeared in front of my eyes, his hair still moist. 

"Ryosuke~ let's go!" I took his hands and gave it a light squeezed. i turned to him and smile and he did likewise, although I was sure I saw some look of suspicion in his eyes that something is wrong with me. But I'm glad he firmly squeezed my hand as well. Our fingers tangled as one and we walked out of school. There wasn't much glances dawning upon us anymore. I wanted to believe that they have grown to accept our relationship too. My parents, my brother, their reaction was less predictable though. I thought they will be supportive of my relationship but it seemed they are more agreeable if we were friends, and less as a couple. So much for the talks about indiscrimination and treating everyone fairly.

After lunch, it seemed we walked aimlessly, streets after streets, until the sky went dark. We ended up in a park near our house. I clinged onto his arms comfortably, leaning onto him to get some warmth. The temperature was just right, it kept me real cozy, I didn't wanna let go.

"Ryosuke~."

"Un~"

"You know I'll be here for you right. So if you ever want a listening ear, you should let me know," I looked at him earnestly. Somehow from his eyes, I feel he knows what I saw from his bag. I thought he is gonna get angry for invading his privacy.

"Thanks Mirai... You know what, I haven't been eating medicine since the day you got hurt for me and we reconciled."

"Why?" 

"Frankly, I have been feeling less uncertain about myself recently. Ever since I saw your bravery back there, I feel secured, I feel less concerned about how others see me. I thought with you by my side, maybe i can rely less on my medication. I know I can't fully recover, but I don't wanna eat those medicine cause it makes me feel like I'm always that sick person everyone despise me for"

I turned to face him, grabbing both his hands with mine. "If I can replace those medicine, that's so cool! Anytime you feel uncomfortable, just tell me. Ne?"

"Arigatou, Mirai..." He finally took the initiative. I'm almost fainting from the excitement as soon as he wrapped his arms around me. The feeling is so vastly different from me hugging him though it's the same action. I can't explain the difference but it felt warmer, sweeter and this assurance that he loves me as much as I love him, not one-sided. He didn't let go for the longest time, and I could feel this deep sense of deprivation that he had hide from public eyes, all in the hopes to pretend he is okay with being lonely. The fact is, he's totally not alright with being lonely.

A wild idea came out of my mind and I wilfully hoped he would go along with it. "Ryosuke, there's no school the next 2 days, you wanna go somewhere with me?"

"Heh? Where?"

"Trust me on this..." I grabbed his hands and I gave him no explanations even up till we arrived at the Shinkansen station.

"Where are we going?" He still probed though he looked like he is getting the hint where we are going. "Tell me you're not thinking of us going Kyoto overnight"

"Bingo!" I squeezed his hands and dragged him along as soon as I get my hands on the tickets. It's no time to lose, since I have gotten the earliest possible slot which departs in about 20 minutes time.  Once we have gotten a sit, he turned to me with unwavering glance. That glance wasn't supposedly lovely, that was definitely not his intention, but to me, it was adorable. His pout, his deliberate attempt to be stern to me, were all too lovely. "You are reckless, Mirai. What were you thinking?"

"I'm precisely thinking of spending time with you." I slipped my arms around his, and cuddle towards him. I heard his chuckle and I knew even I can be irresistible. 

"My parents will love you..."

"You aren't that good at hiding your real feelings though. Ever since we started going out, I saw your uneasiness everytime after you spoke with your parents over the phone... It isn't hard to conclude your parents' preference"

Why am I always overexpressing myself. I didn't bother to hide my irritation for my own stupidity, that he has to comfort me with kind words. "But i guess if i perform well later, I guess I can convince them I can love you like any other healthy guys, or even better than them."

"Don't say like that, you are healthy and you are definitely better than any other guys..."

He smiled before receding on his seat and shutting his eyes for a rest. I did likewise, but almost a second later, I found myself reopen my eyes to look at the flawless face of the man I loved, whose warm pair of hands has firmly wrapped around mine. We were at ease, with the shinkansen sped through the tracks, carrying us back to my hometown. 

The air on this side of the country always feel fresher, and my mood naturally became lifted than the heaviness in Tokyo. I took a peek at Ryosuke and was glad to find him absorbed by the peace overlooking the meadows. The last time I came back, I mostly missed the sight, but this time, I found myself recalling every little detail of this small train station in the countryside.

"Let's go~" i wring my arms around his neck then hurried him towards where my parents' house was.

"It's really pretty," he exclaimed, "no wonder you like this place so much. It's so peaceful you can almost hear the birds singing"

"You're quite poetic ne, Ryosuke. Birds singing would be too much a description, but I get what you mean - they sound free."

"The air here is alot fresher too. Uncontaminated .."

"Some people mind the farm manure smell though. Don't you?" I thought Ryosuke would since his scent is always so nice I thought he bathed in his cologne. Someone like him should detest such smell of nature.

"It isn't strong, so I don't bother much. Well, if I do mind, then I wouldn't even consider you?"

"Baka Ryosuke! I don't stink." I knocked his head, and we ended up running after each other, laughing as free as the birds. I knew the time with him here will only get better, and I was afraid it adds on to my reluctance to leave for Tokyo to continue facing the judgemental glares. Here, we could be ourselves without afraid of how people see us. But I reckon it's the stress of the city life that attributes to the situation. In the midst of our unleashed foolishness, we stumbled over the voices that called out.

"Mirai!!!" 

Oh my gosh, it's the clique, Nami, Rika, Yudai, Kamiki! It was not long since we met the last time, but i guess my yearning for them will never grow old. I threw my arms over them and was too excited to finally introduce him to them.

"Minna!!! This is..." Before I could introduce, I see Kamiki and Yudai already went up close to Ryosuke with hostile glances, "So, you're that guy..." Ryosuke didn't back away nor answer.

"You don't have to answer them... You guys are acting like jerks!" I exclaimed in anger. I was about to pull Ryosuke away from the bunch furiously, but Nami and Rika restrained me. It all must be a poly to separate us, and torture him like Kento and the class did. Ryosuke's frown worried me, is his head hurting? Does he need his medicine?

"Ryosuke! You guys just step away from him!"

Yet Ryosuke surprise me with his answer, "yes, I was once crazy, and I'm not going to deny. I was admitted a long time in the mental institution and that's gonna be a fact forever. I may need my medicine and the reliance on it would unlikely go away. But I have promised that I will protect Mirai and will love her dearly, even if I ever lose my sanity again. No, i will not lose my sanity for the sake of her."

He has never made such confessions and commitments even when we were alone, not to such great extent, to promise something that requires so much more him. I was touched beyond words. I forced my way out of the girls' restrain, then break my way to Ryosuke. "Don't you ever disrespect him."

The clique burst out laughing, and the loudest has to be Yudai. Honestly, he is the last one I expect to act so nastily. He's never so biased in his views, not when he did indicate his support for my decisions. Yet his laughter now, sounded less cynical, more harmless. The rest too. Ryosuke and I looked at Yudai for a good explanation what it is all about. 

"You two are really brave. They passed the relationship test..." Yudai said while still trying to stop his laughter.

"Heh?!!! You guys are testing us?!"

"Well, we don't know him and we had to see how much he loved our best friend and if he can even control you." Kamiki joked then came over and acted all clingy to Ryosuke. "Hope you don't mind ne, Ryosuke..."

From the look of Ryosuke's face, he was more amused by them than furious. Their childishness and seemingly offensive acts did wonders in breaking the ice. Ryosuke's lips actually curled into a subtle smile. I was relieved. Very relieved. What make me even more touched was what Yudai said.

"Mirai's friend is our friend too, so welcome, Yamada Ryosuke to our happy clique!"

Ryosuke let go off all his inhibitions and smiled so brightly in the meadows that I thought i heard the girls murmurs of awe. Proud I was of my gorgeous boyfriend! I held hand and entwined my fingers with his, claiming possession of him. 

"Right right, Mirai... Someone is flaunting..." Nami and Rika wanted to tickle me, so I hide behind Ryosuke, and we ended running in circles. It was fun. We all did, even Ryosuke. His smile hung high all the way till night, and I didn't see his usual reserved self. He joked, laughed and even joined in the guys' talk with Kamiki, Yudai and Yuya who joined later. I didn't even want to get started on how stupid their conversation was. The girls just made our own circle and converse among ourselves. That night, we said we would chat until dawn, but we fell asleep one by one in the big room at my house. My parents ain't at home, so I have the house all to myself. That also means, convincing my parents will be the task the next day. Was that why I couldn't exactly sleep. I stumbled across the bodies towards the door. Though suffering from very mild nightblindness, i could recognise most of them. Nearest to the door was Ryosuke. His arms were folded so his firm chest slightly reveals under the v-neck tee. His forearms were tough too. I couldn't help but took a closer look. Squatting beside him, I admired him. Just watching the chest rise and falls rhythmically, was therapeutic.

"How long more are you planning to stare?" 

"Heh?!" I got a shocked, almost screaming out if not because Ryosuke anticipated it and cupped my mouth in time."I can't sleep"

"Then let's go out for a walk..." He stood up and walked in front of me.

"Wait up..." I rushed right after. 

"The sea breeze smell, is refreshing " Ryosuke remarked. "The smell of nature"

"Yeah. I kinda miss this smell too. It's so primitive and genuine"

Walking beside him wasn't enough. It was as if he could read my mind, pre-ampted my appetite for skinship. He took the initiative to hold my hands. It's warm and cozy. But it only made my appetite grew, I slipped my arm around his torso and allowed myself under his arms. I thought he is gonna give me the Why-Are-You-So-Clingy face, instead he returned a sweet smile and accommodated my neediness. 

"Mirai, your friends are really fun and nice people. Thanks for introducing them to me."

"I told you they'll like you..." I smirked. 

"So what did the girls say?"

"Hmmm... They were mostly jealous of me, that I managed to capture a boyfriend like you as my first"

"So what about a boyfriend like me?" He grilled me further.

"Charms like a prince, loving, gentlemanly... Everything "

"Right~ are you sure you arent the one saying it all?" He clinged on my neck and ruffled my hair. I laughed and denied. It's true they said that. 

"So tomorrow we face your parents?"

"You worried?"

"Not exactly... If things don't turn out with them, it's not gonna change my position though.... Are you gonna back out if they refuse to accept us?"

He looked at me with a more stern face, as if implying he's seriously about his question. I didn't know how to answer, especially when I have never disobeyed my parents. Furthermore, the thought of them disagreeing was never part of my consideration. I was determined to make them.

"It's okay, I'm just giving a hypothetical situation. I know it's not happening." He smiled to ease my struggle, gently patting my shoulders before walking in the front. "Mirai..."

"Un.."

"Even if you're gonna back out, don't worry about me. I'll probably continue to watch over you... So you just have to do what you need to, I'll be there for you regardless"

"Ryosuke!" I jumped onto his back in joy.

"Yah! You're heavy..."

"Am not. You're strong anyway," I laid on his bare shoulders not covered by his knitted top. His skin is gentle and the scent is alluring.i nested my head at the crook of his neck. 

"Ryosuke, can I know more about you?"

"What do you want to know about?"

"Hmm. I heard about your ex girlfriend... Were you more sweet to her than me?"

"... You heard the details right?"

"I... I heard you were really nice to her."

"My time with her, was calm cause people didn't know my condition. So naturally, the relationship was less stressful and I was able to fulfil my role as a boyfriend better."

"More dates, more ... Erm..."

"More dates yes. More overt expression of love, no... If that's what you wanna ask. Mirai, actually I..." He shows his uneasiness all over. 

"It's okay. Sorry for the awkward question" i cut him off cause I don't have the courage to listen to what he explains of his relationship with her. He didn't seem comfortable sharing too. I tightened my grip around his neck and snuggle even deeper. 

"But she hurts me the deepest, I don't even want to remember her anymore. You, on the contrary, is someone I want to treasure and the feelings for you is much more real, much more attachable." 

"What if one day, I hurt you too... We will never know what lays ahead."

There was a long pause. Again, I tested the limits. How do I salvage this? I gave him a kiss on his shoulder's bare skin. I hope he gets my way of saying sorry. Really... Sometimes, I'm thinking if my flaw lies in my insensitivity or his flaw of being hypersensitive. But I kinda agree, hypothetical question was unnecessary and usually out of fear. 

I regretted. His answer was cold, clear and the worst is, he's certain. Not even the slightest tone of holding back or forgiveness for the good memories forged.

"I'll hate you," that three words was enough to make my breathe stop. He released me from his back and so we walked, side by side, in silence. He walked faster, as if not keen to share my pace. I didn't want to end the beautiful night in such hostility. I snuggle up to him and hold his warm hands. He turned to me and then turned back immediately. I thought he would shrug me off, but luckily he didn't. I didn't hope for his reciprocation, so I wasn't disappointed, instead satisfied. To my surprise, i felt a light squeeze in my fingers, and the knotted anxiety unwinds. 

I was so peacefully asleep in my own room, I feel like I could sleep the entire day through. The beautiful dream that I don't ever want to wake up from, was so realistic I couldn't quite decipher if something had happened. I think I'm so poisoned by my own infatuation, it's not possible to get out of it anymore. My eyes flutters open, reluctantly with the blinding rays from the sun shinning the tip of my toes. I was hit by the quietness. Too quiet for a peace of mind. I stepped out to the balcony of my room and peeked my toe revealed under my pink night gown and looked out into the view overlooking the fields.

There I saw the few familiar figures in a not so familiar setting, in fact it was the entire  interaction before my eyes kept my stomach churning nervously. I sprinted downstairs and out to where they were.

"Okasan, otousan! Let me explain~" i pulled the shocked Ryosuke behind my back and urgently explained my position"ryosuke is a nice person. You told me not to be judgmental, so I did. Please trust me, i can protect myself and him too. I'm not the weak, needy girl you know all these time"

"We know..." My father said with my mother revealing a light smile. 

"You know?" I thought their expressions seemed weird so I turned to Ryosuke. He was sniffing away to hide the laughters beneath his fingers rubbing his nose. "Why is it I feel I'm missing out something here?"

"Dear, your boyfriend came to us right in the break of dawn to convince us already while you were sleeping like a log. He even did a whole morning of farming with us, right boy?"

"It's nothing auntie" he politely bowed.

"You ought to learn from him, missy. You are lacking in so many folds. Your Boyfriend is doing all the work."

I pouted and just when I thought my embarrassing moment can't get any worst, it did. Ryosuke turned me towards him, and needless to say, he has all my attention. My eyes is only for looking at his perfect skin glowing with his beautiful eyes shimmering. With his hands pressed on my shoulders, he said, "Mirai, everything is settled now. I told you I'll protect you right..."

I nodded, mesmerised by his words. Then I noticed his eyes browsing me, almost like he was scanning me from top to bottom with an amused look.

"... She's quite a scene, ne Ryosuke... I hope you could tolerate her unlady-like behaviours." My father mocked. Just then I understood why they were all holding back their laughters.

"AHHHHHHH!" I released myself from Ryosuke's hands and ran back to my house with the breaking of laughters lingering behind me. I rushed to my room and into the toilet and what stares at me in the mirror is my unkempt hair that explodes, that saliva stain left at the corner of my lips, that horrendous childlike pink gown. as if I wasn't ugly enough everyday, I just further uglified myself. I wanted to cry at the thought of that horrifying impression of myself I ingrained in Ryosuke. I was so engrossed in my traumatic experience that I did not hear someone made an entrance.

The toilet door swings unannounced and the one person who is the source of my embarrassment and that I am too shy to face now has entered that small space, keeping my heart beating furiously.

"I did knock, but you were too busy whining so I thought I'll just enter." He said while he let himself at the sink, pushing me a few steps off its center.  I was basically too stunned to respond nor react. He rolled up his sleeves and rinsed his hands, and I just stood there and watched. Even such a simple action like this is too charming. Just when I was in a daze, he pressed onto my head, securing it then took my face towel and ran it over my face.

"Ryosuke?" 

He ignored me and continued massaging every corner of my face, including where the drool stain was. I blushed so badly, partly also because his face was just barely an inch away. That lips look so irresistibly juicy. Had being with him make me alot more daring, I even had the thoughts of stealing a kiss from him, ON HIS LIPS. It would be my first encounter if it's not because he stuffed my toothbrush into my mouth.

"I have prepared breakfast for you, and I thought we can have it alone in your room. It's american style, I think you'll like. So unless you prefer it cold, i suggest you quickly clean yourself." He chuckled then ushered me to the sink, while he stood behind me, massaging my stiff shoulders. I tried to say thank you with the toothpaste whoosing out of my mouth. He laughed so brightly, his eyes small that it reveals only 2 black lines, rather thick because of his long lash lines. He is cute.

"You're cute" he said instead. I didn't have the chance to say anything. Damn the foam in my mouth. 

"Chotto Ryosuke~" i clinged onto his arms when he was about to step out. I guess when people say love is blind and it makes you more needy, more afraid of loneliness, it's true. Was it because I wasn't clear in my speech or my intention, he looked at me blankly. I heaved a sigh of relief when he closed the toilet seat cover and sat on it. What's most adorable was he sat with his legs both on top of the cover, crossed legs, like a kid in meditation posture.

"I'm famished Mirai..."

"Hai!" I quickly brushed my teeth and washed my face though it's really impossible not to be distracted. He was texting on his phone and I wonder who he's texting. He looks focused and that's manly. The many faces of Ryosuke are all my favourite. Once I'm done, I thought i should hurry out, since he has waited for me so long. Yet, he pulled me back with his arms circled around my waist. Without words, I laid on his chest. It was bliss. He said something under his breathe, it was a simple sorry.

"Why?"

"... Nothing" he swings me gently, left and right. Could this be my first, unexpected waltz in the bathroom? I snuggle deeper into his embrace, returning that strong arms with my firm grip around his neck. 

So that morning was sweetness. We had our sumptuous breakfast on the bed. We fed each other, and he was adorable when he munched like a chipmunk. Then we took a bus trip to sightsee the neighbourhood. Well, the most unforgettable returns from this trip is definitely our shared toilet time. I may not have completed the checklist I came up with in regards to the things I like to do with him, those memories forged at this trip is still too sweet to forget. Even when we came back from Kyoto, I couldn't stop smiling to myself. If there ever still was a barrier of awkwardness between us, there isn't anymore. Hand in hand, we walked home. 

"There's a thunderstorm coming, it feels" he said as the strong winds swept across the streets. If I were any lighter, I would have flown away. The sky is dark, very dark. With my fidgety arms, I quickly retrieved my phone, dialling my brother's.

"Niichan~"

"Un Mirai. You're back." Daiki said. Already I hear the noisy background and knew my prediction is right. 

"Niichan, you're not at home?"

"I have some cases to settle today. May not be able to come home."

"Huh..."

"Mirai, take care. Head home early and close the windows tightly. It's gonna be raining cats and dogs"

"...okay..." I said before hanging up the phone. 

"Is anything wrong?" Ryosuke looked at me with concerned eyes. 

"N-nothing~" i gave him a smile. I really didn't want him to trouble over something as stupid as this. He is as tired as I am, it's just that he didn't say it, that's all. He walked me home, but I ended up watching him in reluctance as he moved away from my house. It isn't a sense of yearning from my gaze. It's more like I am talking to him mentally, asking him how I'm gonna survive this tough thunderstorm. I must say that since I came Tokyo, the frequency of a storm hitting was more than ever. Me and my bad luck perhaps. I prepared music, my favourite blanket and tugged myself in my brother's room where it gave me a sense of more security. It's probably just a matter of perspectives. I even tried to distract myself with a late night chick flick but when the first roar starts, I was already trembling. Maybe talking to him would help.

"Moshi moshi Ryosuke~" I had to imagine he was right beside me. I hope that eases the fear.

"Un... You haven't sleep?"

"Not yet. You are not right?" 

"Not really..." He said, I knew I forced that answer on him and he should be real tired by now since he woke up way earlier today to help my parents. The guilt was horrible, but when the 2nd roar hits, I could barely hold on to my gasp.

"Is anything wrong?" He asked gently.

"No..." I laughed it off. "Ryosuke, sorry for disturbing your sleeping time. I should hang up now."

"It's okay, if you wanna chat, I can. What would you like to talk about?"

"No no.. Ryosuke, I'll see you tomorrow morning, oyasumi!"

I needed to stop my cravings before it gets more serious. I painfully hung the call and braced myself as the howling wind slams onto the window. I hid under the blanket, fearful and even got startled by my text message.

"Mirai,

Sorry for leaving you alone tonight. The storm is gonna be bad. I don't know how you are dealing with it now, but it'll be over in a flash. I promise to end my work fast.

Take Care,
Daiki"

I'll try. But as time flies, it seems it's only getting worst. I tossed and turned, and my fear has never been so bad. It's one of the worst storms. Out of recklessness, I donned a simple teeshirt and jeans and dashed out of my house before the downpour. I gritted my jaw as the thunder and lightning scares me time after time. I ran without stopping until I arrived at the very door. I don't even know how my face is drenched before it even rained, and if the droplets were my sweat or tears.  if it's the latter, it would be embarrassing for him to see. When the door swings open, i rushed right up to him.

"Mirai?"

I was crying so hard, he stopped trying to talk to me. Instead he patted my head softly and wrapped me cozily in his arms. Whispering to my ears, he said the sweetest thing that made the storm seemed so worthy, "you could have just said... You'll be fine now."