Chapter 13

The Stranger

"What are you gonna do with Daiki today? First christmas spent together, it'll be exciting..." Umika asked as she pulled her chair to sit beside Mirai and Sora, with her questioning gaze locked down on Sora.

"hmmm, we are going for the Christmas fair in Shibuya. What about you, Umika, it's your first official date with my brother too isn't it?" Sora returned a smirk.

"Unsurprisingly, our agenda is the same. I guess the whole world will be there. i'm kinda worried about the crowd"

"no worries, I'm sure the guys will take real good care of us," Sora cheered on and brushed away Umika's unnecessary worries. "Mirai, what about you? Shibuya? I am thinking Ryosuke may be romantic then the 2 of our guys." Their eyes shifted to the girl whose mind seem to have drifted out of class. Mirai's eyes were unwaveringly staring at the car parked on the opposite the school. There, the 2 realised the same lady who they confronted outside that cafe.

"It's her again? What does she want? Oh no, is she gonna take Ryosuke today? It's Christmas for goodness sake." Umika exclaimed. Mirai glanced over to the senior class and there she saw Ryosuke engrossed in his last examination paper for his high school just like the other graduating students. She looked back at the lady and suddenly stood up with a look of determination.

"Mirai?" the 2 worried friends looked at her. 

"Don't worry about me. I'm stronger than that. I said I will watch over Ryosuke and if this lady is bothering him, I won't let her off. I'll speak to her" Mirai stormed out of class with her friends close behind.

"it's okay, I'll handle this myself. I want to speak to her alone."

"Promise us you'll shoutout if you need help. We will be close by in case you need us"

"alright" Mirai answered Sora. The former headed straight towards the well-dressed lady and the closer she gets to her, the more deafening was her heartbeat. She swallowed her saliva in all nervousness, telling herself to calm down. The lady dressed in emerald green dress, flaunting her figure yet again. Her poise and beauty were hard to ignore, and she did feel a tint bit jealous of the lady. If she really is her love rival and Ryosuke chooses her instead, Mirai felt it was totally understandable. The only thing Mirai felt she won against her, is probably her age. As she reached the lady, she saw the slight wrinkles at the corner of her eyes. but these wrinkles were so beautifully masked by the defined doublelids on her eyes. Such captivating eyes as Ryosuke.

"ah, it's you... Shida Mirai-san, we meet again" the lady spoke before she could. She felt ashamed to have lost half the battle with her tongue tied. Taking a deep breathe, she mentally prepares herself to take the offensive role.

"yes. Please leave if you are looking for Ryosuke. He won't see you."

"did he say so himself?"

"n..no" Mirai stammered. "but I'm sure he doesnt want to see you"

"if I intend to see him, he will not ever say no to me. you are the one who fear me meeting him isn't it.?" she smirked in the guise of evil. Mirai knew the lady has seen through her, and she deciphered her so easily.

"you are so uncertain, so uneasy about this relationship. I guess he still haven't told you alot."

"he will tell me when he wants to! I don't have to probe."

"oh, so you aren't even bothered about your boyfriend not trusting you at all with his secrets? perhaps you are, or you wouldn't raise your voice." Mirai was amazed by her accurate conjectures about her feelings, almost just as accurate as how Ryosuke reads her. She thought that maybe the problem is with her - she's an open book.

"that's really none of your business. please just go. I won't let him see you." she brushed off the lady's fear-mongering.

"are you not curious about what happened at his father's brithday party?"

Mirai was certain the lady was toying with her inferior complex, how she falls so short of a girlfriend's knowledge of her own boyfriend and the limit to how much she could protect him when she know nothing. Part of her hopes she go on and shed light about the incident, but her pride doesn't give way.

"... He faced his father's harsh words alone, being treated like trash and thrown out of the house. You are nowhere in sight to accompany him, but I was...I was there for him when you aren't. Mirai-san, I think your courage is simply just for show, for engaging in such useless debate with me... your actions are incomprehensible for a girlfriend who claims so much love for the boy."

"you... just leave!"

"don't worry, I will right now. You should know, I'm not here to meet him, but you."

"you came to tell me all these?!" Mirai lost her temper finally, and that seemed to make the lady laugh. Mirai felt insulted and useless at the same time. 

"I repeat again and you listen carefully. You don't deserve to be his girlfriend cause you don't genuinely care for him. I can meet him anytime I want and you are not going to stop him nor me from meeting. He will never resist me. So guard him with your life if you want to possess him, but I say your efforts are mostly gonna be futile."

Mirai clenched her fist, and her jaw tightened, almost like she is holding back her punch to the lady. The lady returned a triumphant smile then left with a more chilling statement, "my relationship with him is closer than you and any other ladies. He will never touch you beyond a kiss or a hug, but for me, we have shared more than just that..."

"huh?" Mirai was left with confusion. What exactly does the lady mean? more than just kisses or hugs? does she mean.... that? Mirai felt her heart tightened so much she was afraid she will break any instance. She didn't want her friends to see, so she masked her uncertainties and a whole lot of sadness and walked back to them as though nothing has happened. 

"are you okay, Mirai? What did she tell you?"

"I managed to chase her away."

"Mirai, you are so awesome! I bet she knows her worth now, she won't dare to mess with you again." They cheered, just as Kento and Daiki surprised them from behind.

"ah... you guys are here already?" the 2 girls blushed as they said. Mirai felt happy for them while bearing a smile on her own face. 

"Yes, examinations ended a while ago, I came out as soon as I can. Bumped into Daiki while he was coming in." Kento explained.

"where's Ryosuke?" Daiki asked before Mirai. "He's bringing you out right?" Daiki asked Mirai in curiousity, and she nodded though she don't exactly know his plans.

Kento quickly jumped in to explain, "before I forget, Ryosuke said for you to wait in the canteen first and grab something light. He has to settle some administrative stuff with the school. as he is a year older than us, there is some declaration papers he need to complete before he can officially graduate". 

"perhaps we could wait with Mirai then we can all head out together" Sora added. Mirai felt bad as the look on some of their faces show.

"don't worry about me. I'll wait for Ryosuke myself. You guys go ahead, don't delay your plans for me" Mirai nagged then pushed them towards the gate. The group acceded then headed out, only to have Daiki rushing back within a few seconds once they were outside the gate.

"Merry Christmas, my sister, " he gave her a brief hug. Mirai needed that warmth as soon as her brother held her. She would probably cry out on his shoulders if it had been any longer. Daiki parted from the embrace then pushed something into her hands.

"what's this?"

"my christmas present to you..." Daiki leaned towards Mirai and whispered "and another small gift for Ryosuke in case he needs it tonight. I don't want my little sister to get hurt"

"heh?" before Mirai could peep into the paper bag, Daiki has rushed off to rejoin Sora. Mirai looked around her and saw so many couples heading out of school, and having just heard those heavy warnings from the lady, she felt her heart all cringed together. Quietly, she headed back to school and changed into outside clothes for the day. Locating a quiet seat in the canteen, she finally got the time to look into the bag she received from Daiki and her eyes caught the small 'gift' he meant for Ryosuke.

"what the... niichan, you are seriously dirty. how am I supposed to give that to Ryosuke?!" she grumbled in laughter as she said to herself.

"give me what?" a pair of hands grabbed onto her shoulders from behind. Mirai was startled by the voice and turned around to see Ryosuke in a knitted white top and a trench coat. He looks just like a magazine model and already her eyes seem to not be able to off from him. He sat beside her, while she completely go into a daze until he probe again.

"what is it?"

"heh?.. ah no, I have a gift for you. Merry Christmas!" she took out another box from her bag and shyly put it in his hands, hiding Daiki's presents into her bag. There's no way she could have the guts to give such private gift to him.

"thanks so much.! what is it though? can I open?" he asked.

"it's a tie... i thought now that you are going to go into the working adult world, you will need it"

"It's great, thank you so much."

"you'll wear it to your interview right?"

"definitely I will. oh, and this?"

"it's a good luck charm... I hope it will look after you"

"thank you Mirai..." he grabbed her hands and said with interlocking gaze of gratitude. "I am already watched over by you" Mirai blushed as she heard him say.

"Sorry, I was busy with many things recently, I didn't manage to get anything very special for you. but, I hope you like this" he brought out a squarish box. She nervously tried to open it, with trembling hands. 

"come, let me help you with it" he giggled at her struggle. The box unwrapped and a very beautiful snow globe presents itself from inside. As she carefully took it out, she realised the world enclosed within the globe is mesmerising. A small wooden cottage covered in pure white snow and 2 dolls, a female and a male, stood at the door, gazing the falling stars, hand-in-hand.

"it's so beautiful."

"of course, you can't buy it elsewhere. there's only 1 in this world."

"how come?"

"because it is handmade by the one and only Yamada Ryosuke" his eyes and lips were smiling so gorgeously as he spoke. Mirai couldn't help but melt at his words and his thoughts. The most special gift she has received. Mirai knew that wasn't just any world, it was a world he desires and for a long time, she knew he thought that world will never come. And if she could, she wants to help him achieve that world. and there, she returned him a smile of hope and lightly squeezed his hands.

"let's go. we are running alittle behind schedule, but it shouldn't take long to reach if there's no traffic. That saves us a bit of time." he pulled her along with her wondering what he meant until she saw a black honda parked not too far from the school. With a click of a button from a device in his freehand, the car unlocked.

"heh? you drive?"

"I could. I got my license earlier this year since I am older than the rest, it makes me the only one in the school eligible for driving."

She was overflowing with happiness as she thought "that makes me the only girl in the school who is driven on her date"

"hmmm. that's farfetched. I guess if they have a older boyfriend my age, they could possibly be driven too," he ruffled her hair while chuckling at her adorable remark. As she entered the car, she could kinda guess it is rented since there isn't any ornaments in the car. It is too empty that it seemed the car doesnt have a permanent owner.

"the car..."

"it's rented. I didn't see a need for me to buy one now. Maybe once I start working, then I think there's a reason to buy"

Not only he is independent, he is somewhat self-sufficient and perhaps quite well to do, Mirai realised. Looking at him drive, she began thinking of what the lady said again, about how much she knows of him... the expensive watch, the car... and gradually her mind went back to the naughty gift and the lady's brutal confession of a possible relationship between them that goes beyond a man and a woman.

"is something wrong?"

"huh?" Mirai noticed Ryosuke looking at her as the car stopped at the traffic light.

"you seem to be bothered by something. Just now at the canteen before I walked to you, you were totally out of soul."

"nothing... i just feel abit tired today"

"you're not falling sick are you? I hope I didnt pass it to you..." Ryosuke quickly placed his non-driving hand onto her forehead while he drove, and sighed in relief when he sensed nothing. "no fever... hmmm since you're tired..."

"no, no don't change any plans. I'm fine. I wanna go out with you."

He laughed at her frenzy. "okay okay, I won't cancel any plans. But you take a nap in the car first, alright? I'll wake you up when we reach," he took the next stop at the traffic light to put down her seat. She quietly followed his instructions, cause she did feel mentally drained. Fortunately, he didn't notice her real uneasiness. He stretched his arms to the back to retrieve the sweater she bought for him.

"you brought this along?"

"everywhere..." he spread it over her body to keep her warm while she rest on the seat.

"Ryosuke...~" she feels so loved that she didnt know how to express herself.

"it's gonna be a eventful day, so rest first okay..." he looked at her with a smile as soon as he could, putting her at ease.

Yet at the same time, the ladies' words still continue to torment her. She turned her head away from him and towards the scenery outside, hiding her watery eyes before she is discovered by her observant boyfriend. She fell into a deep sleep only to be awakened by a soft breeze blowing to her face after seemingly a long time. She looked around to see Ryosuke missing from the driver's seat. She propped herself upright to find the car parked in a empty carpark at the edge of a hilltop. The scenery it procures was so captivating and the fresh air was so refreshing. She looked further and saw Ryosuke sat on a patch of grass at the edge of the hill.

"Ryosuke, ohayou gozaimasu" she sat beside him, pulling her knees closer to her chest, like a small kid.

He chuckled as he hears her greetings. "ohayou? I thought you really may end up sleeping over christmas at the sight of how tired you were"

"I was noisy just now, right?" Mirai said with embarrassment.

"it doesn't matter, so I'm not gonna answer you." he took her hands and lightly massaged it. "you feeling better?"

"alot better."

"that's nice to hear. anyway, Kento was saying the group of them are at Shibuya Christmas Fair. They were asking if we wanna join them. I'm okay if you wanna go," he asked politely.

"I don't want to..." Mirai surprised Ryosuke with her answer, and clearly he didn't expect it.

"but... i thought you would want to... you really don't have to accomodate me you know right?"

"I know, I'm not. but is it okay with you if I only want to spend my christmas with you? just the 2 of us."

Ryosuke revealed a puzzled face at first, then it eventually turn into a warm smile against the snowy backdrop. "that's a relief. If you have chosen shibuya, my plans will be disrupted."

Mirai giggled. She followed him as he brought her to a place that seems like a ryokan. When she got closer, she realised, it is an onsen.

"it has one of the best onsen in tokyo. it probably can't be compared to those in Kyoto, but I hope you like it too. It can relieve your tiredness too..." Ryosuke turned around to explain to her whose face is completely blank. Then she erupted, in happiness.

"sugoii!! I love it!!" she brushed past him and hopped into the ryokan, leaving Ryosuke laughing uncontrollably at his girlfriend.

When he joined her at the registration counter, she looked at him with questions. "it's so expensive..." Briefly ignoring her, he footed the bill then brought her to the lobby. They sat at one of the couch, then he looked deeply into her eyes.

"Mirai, I figured I should tell you. My family,.. is quite rich."

"I sort of guessed it too..." Mirai remarked.

"I didn't intend to lie to you. But I just don't think it matters cause I haven't been with my family for long, and I didn't use any of the money they have given me since I was released from the institute. I earned my own, so i don't think it is important for anyone to know my family's wealth."

"the car rental, the watch, the onsen today, you used your hard-earned money? Ryosuke, I..."

"you are totally worth every bit of cents I spend if that's what you are asking. you are not a materialistic girl, that I am very sure. So I am convinced that even after telling you about my family, you aren't gonna be like those girls who spend their boyfriends money uncontrollably. I have saved alot since I don't normally have any social activities. just 2 basic meals at most and my medication. That's why I can afford stuff, if you are thinking about it. I want to dote on you since I am already lacking behind other ideal boyfriends."

She was touched by his words and more importantly, she felt happy that he is opening up to her. She mischieviously stretched out her hand and started messing up his hair.

"oi oi oi.... yamette..."

"Your hair is so soft! and my boyfriend is so amazing! I am loving him so so so much" Mirai boasted, leaving the 2 lovebirds laughing heartily. And if they wondered if they were creating a nuisance in the otherwise quiet ryokan, they noticed the elderly owners of the ryokan smiling sweetly at them as if they themselves are reminiscing their younger days.

Both emerged from the bathrooms with only a towel covering. Exposing their bare skins, Mirai felt embarrassed. Besides her mother, she hasn't actually gone onsen with other people, especially not with a guy. Seeing their skin makes her blush so bad that she can't even look at Ryosuke in his eyes. Seeing her embarrassement, Ryosuke silently chuckled to himself.

"there's a uni onsen, a female and a male onsen. We shall just go ahead separate and relax, then we meet in about an hour after we wash up?" he instructed, considering she is too shy to choose the first option. Mirai was in a trance. Ryosuke sighed then pushed her from behind towards the female onsen.

"heh?"

"there you go. walk straight and go into the pool, and soak your exhaustion away. see you." 

She saw his bright smile before he walked off next door to the male onsen. As she dipped herself in, she realised there were a few older ladies with their daughters already in the pool. She politely nodded as a gesture of respect then let her mind drift off.

"Mirai..." she heard a voice from next door. Only then she realised the male onsen was just beside, separated by just one wall.

"yes?" she replied to Ryosuke

"don't fall asleep inside. it'll be dangerous."

"right~ thank you." she felt thankful for his reminder.

"it's that guy... i remember his voice" the daughters told the older ladies. Mirai overheard and became jealous about their encounter with Ryosuke. "mom, I was telling you about that guy just now. He looks like a prince, especially when he held me up after I slipped on the wet floor. His eyes is blue, and his voice is mellow. He really looks like a prince from those fairytales"

"anou... the guy calling out for you, is your friend? your brother?" the older lady asked, apparently on behalf of the nosy younger girls. Mirai felt slightly enraged that their guesses weren't even close. is it because they think it's impossible.

"He's my boyfriend"

"heh?! how can it be?" the girls blurted out. They appeared unfriendly by now, especially with their remark.

"what do you mean? can't he be my boyfriend?"

"it's a waste. He is so cute, and you... (she is so flat...)" they giggled to themselves. 

She was so angry she wanted to give them a slap, but even more so to their mothers when they said "you can't blame them for being honest..."

"anou... you all are so rude. I don't even wanna share a pool with you" Mirai left the pool in such rage that she walked right in to the male onsen. Her appearance was shocking to the 5 guys in the pool. Ryosuke looked at her with widdened eyes, unable to react immediately when she walked right to him and grabbed his arms.

"heh? Mirai... what is it? You can't just walk in so suddenly..."

"can we just go to the mix pool. Please..."

"what's wrong with your side?"

"don't ask...." Mirai pouted. Unwilling to let go off his arms, he acceded, leaving the male onsen at her bidding. She never let go off his arms, pulling him right to the uni onsen. Once she is at ease, she realised her initial nervousness. Ryosuke chuckled at her absentmindedness. "well, the females seem to be gathering at that corner... you will feel less nervous there, while we still have sight of each other in case you get scared again by whatever that disturbed you just now?" he guessed while holding back his laughter.

Mirai was irritated by his reaction, so stormed to the corner he mentioned. With pouted and her brows knotted, he really couldn't look away from her silliness, constantly tickled by her every actions. He was in the opposite corner, with a direct line of sight of Mirai, while being surrounded by a group of guys and girls around their age. When Mirai has her anger gradually simmered down, she couldn't believe what was to happen next.

"niichan... can we join you?" the 2 girls earlier have came over to the uni onsen and daringly approached Ryosuke.

"NANDE?!" She screamed within herself. She saw the 2 girls chatting so heartily with him and realised they were subtly getting closer. She was angered by how oblivious he was to the girls' attempt. She don't know why she has become so petty and reactive that she charged right at the group, and went to his side, wringing her arms around his.

"Mirai?"

The girls giggled and that pisses off Mirai.

"what's so funny?"

"niichan, your girlfriend is so funny."

"sou desu ne... she's cute" Ryosuke remarked.

Mirai threw him a death stare as soon as he replied them. She was so angry she was about to break. Her eyes turned red.

"I think your girlfriend can't take jokes, niichan~" they continued to giggle. Ryosuke finally noticed something was wrong. Her eyes was clearly welling with tears and at anytime, she could possibly cry in front of the crowd. 

"sorry girls, I think we are kinda done already. Not so good to be soaking for so long. Let's go Mirai..." he ushered her out, and even then, she tripped, further embarrassing herself in front of those mocking gazes.

"are you okay?" Ryosuke held her arms as she tried to stand back up. By then, she is already crying. With her back facing the crowd, only he saw her tears rolling down like streams. He didn't probe anymore, instead hold her tightly in his hands and brought her out. With a serious look, he said, "if you are not feeling well, let's just go back."

"no, no. I'm fine."

He sighed, troubled as he really didn't know what is going on. He got a closer look at her and asked, "where is it you are unwell? Earlier on in school, in the car as well, now here, you don't look well." She wiped away her own tears before he could, then mustered a smile.

"I'll be okay. I am not in the mood for onsen today. it made me more tired."

"really? I'm sure I saw your excitement when we first reach.. but whatever you say, we can head to the next agenda. but promise me you tell me when you don't feel right okay?"

She nodded. 

"I meet you at your car when we are done bathing?"

"I'm thinking of taking the sightseeing minibus to the next place. it's a 30 minutes ride. You okay with it?"

"okay." Mirai felt happy again at the sound of the new place. He sighed at her erratic behaviour, then pat her head slightly before moving off to the bathe. As she saw him walked to the bathroom, she pouted and muttered, "baka Ryosuke..."

Mirai took much longer than usual, mostly becuase her eyes was terribly red from the crying and she really didn't want people to see her like this. Once she finally managed to drain out the redness, she walked to the sightseeing minibus in clear sight. She swings open the bus door while exclaiming, "gomene Ryosuke, I was late... HEH!" she was surprised to see the 8-seater bus filled up, with Ryosuke being seated right inside, with the 2 girls beside him. Sitting on the outside were their mothers, and an elderly couple. There is only one vacant seat left, right at the door.

"Miss, we are gonna depart soon, would you please take a seat.?" the driver said.

"oneesan, gomenasai, you were late, so all of us sat in first. you wouldn't want the elderly to come out for you right?" one of the girls said. Ryosuke was apologetic that he couldn't accompany her in light of the situation, but he did not expect her to react the way she did.

"I'm sorry, but I wanna sit with my boyfriend."

"if you insist... we will move out for you" the elderly couple exclaimed. They were struggling to move. Everyone felt uncomfortable at the sight, including Ryosuke.

"Mirai, it's only for awhile. We can sit together later." he said with a stern look in his eyes. She had no choice but to listen. She slumped onto her seat gazing out while her heart clenched in pain. She couldn't explain why she felt so miserable today when it should all turn out to be fun and loving. The journey was longer than she thought, and while she hid her falling tears, she didn't notice Ryosuke was staring at her all these while.

The bus stopped briefly at a pitstop for souveniers. Everyone exited. Mirai dashed to the toilet to clean her eyes before anyone could see. And she thought to herself that if she could go back to the bus before everyone, then she possibly can get to sit with Ryosuke. But when she got back, she was disappointed to see only 2 seats were left and they were separated by a row. Ryosuke wasn't back. She knew then that any struggle would be futile. She took the seat with the elderly couple and went back into her state of desolation until her small space became intruded.

"heh?" she wanted to grumble at whoever who was squeezing into her space, only to find out it is none other than Ryosuke.

"sorry grandma, is it possible to move in a little. I would love to sit with my girlfriend."

"sure..." the elderly couple kindly accepted the request and moved in to fill the gap, leaving a small space for Ryosuke.

"Ryosuke..."

"here, you haven't ate anything since we came. you should be hungry by now," he handed to her a pipping hot sweet tapioca.

"ah..." the smelll made her so immensely hungry that she took it from him right away and gobbled it up. Only after she finished eating, she was alert enough to realise the 2 of them were sharing one single seat, but he didnt appear uncomfortable at all. He wrapped his arms around her shoulder, while sitting sideways, looking at her munching her food all these while.

"opps, I forgot to ask if you want."

"it's okay. I'm not hungry." Mirai noticed the change in his eyes and tone. He wasn't as cheerful as earlier. He sounded lethargic and seemingly disinterested. She leaned onto his chest and cuddled closer, hoping he will cheer up. He did reciprocate, but it was just a subtle squeeze of her shoulders. When the bus reached its destination, he went down right away, walking in front of her. She followed him until they went into a cabin in an enormous ferris wheel.

As they sat opposite each other, she finally got the quietness to ask, "Ryosuke..." she grabbed him by his hands. "what's wrong?" She looked at him while he looked out into the rising cabin. This time, he turned to her sternly.

"I should be the one asking you...don't tell me that you're okay. the entire day, you are not only sulking, you were crying and unhappy most of the time."

She was surprised as he raised his voice. Her eyes welled up again as she explained, "I didn't like it. All I wanted was to spend an alone time with you, but the entire day, I had to share you with those girls... They looked down on me, and the truth is, I think either of them looked better with you. I thought I was the only one who you will feel comfortable with, and I was glad about that... but I realised it isn't like so, and I mind when you are comfortable with you too. I wasn't irreplacable." She let out a loud cry, and it seems it will go on. Ryosuke went to sit beside her, pulling her into his embrace.

"So that's what it is all about. You're jealous...And I never thought anyone would be jealous over me..." he chuckled as he ran her fingers down her hair while she continued crying. "you could have just told me you don't wanna see them or something. I would listen."

"I don't want you to think I'm a brat or petty..."

"so you rather keep those unhappiness to yourself... Mirai, look" Ryosuke cupped her face and made sure she was looking at him. "I'm getting better, and the fact I didn't feel uncomfortable with those people around me earlier, surprised me too. I figured it was you who helped me recover from the social anxiety. So you have no reason to feel uneasy, you instead should be proud that you are almost my amazing saviour. You are like a superwoman."

"Superwoman?"

"Yes, cause you saved the Yamada Ryosuke universe," he pinched her wet cheeks. She finally let out a chuckle. "see, you look so much better with a smile." Though her tears didn't seem to stop.

"Sorry, I can't stop... I'm just a crybaby..."

"you are... but frankly, Im glad we are alone now..." Ryosuke said, with her wet eyes interlocked with his. Then little by little, he leaned closer to her, with his lips closing on hers. He kissed her and the world fell away. It was slow and soft, comforting in ways that words would never be. His hand rested below her ear, his thumb caressing her cheek as their breaths mingled. She ran her fingers down his spine, pulling him closer until there was no space left between them and she could feel the beating of his heart against her chest. Her fingers moved up his back, his neck and finally entwined with his hair.  Neither of them wanted to stop, both feeling breathless as their kiss got wetter. 

Then she felt something tangling on her neck. "heh?" She pulled away and saw a sweet smile on his face. She shifted her attention to her neck and saw a star necklace.

"Merry Christmas. I thought I should leave the surprise in a mood like this. I think the necklace grew in importance."

"why?"

"I do give you lots of insecurities and I have many flaws compared to other guys. I did promise I will watch over you, and it would be 100% of my love. and I want this star to double up as me, filling up whatever I am lacking. It will accompany you when I am ever lost, like just now. It will absorb your tears when you cry, and it will release happiness anytime you need it."

Mirai's lips curl in pleasure. She crashed into his open arms, laughing light-heartedly and crying in contendment all at once.

"Mirai, I thought I have ruined christmas for you, but I guess I managed to salvage it." He said. Mirai leaned on his shoulders with their hands wrapped together, watching the christmas lightings dazzling from beneath the cabin. She listened to him attentively, and felt the tranquility bringing them close like as if they are the only ones left in this world.

"I haven't celebrated christmas for a long time. I'm alone, either in the institute, at my apartment, at my part-time work, and even when I was with my previous girlfriend, I felt miserable... for the first time as long as I can remember, thank you for celebrating with me." She lightly squeezed his hands and cuddled closer into his warmth. 

***

Because her brother is still not home from his christmas date with Sora, Mirai decided to go back with Ryosuke first. She felt there's still an hour before christmas is over and she didn't want either of them to spend the last hour alone. His house was decorated with candles, filling the apartment with a rose aroma that was calming.

"you like it?" she asked.

"yes. it does wonders to calm nerves after a long day"

"it seems. I am loving it already"

"I have some extra candles, maybe you can bring some home later"

"Thanks!" she exclaimed. Her eyes became fixated at Ryosuke who has collapsed on the bed, with his arms sprawled.

"Ryosuke?"

"ungh?" he responded with exhaustion.

"Thanks for today..."

"you have thanked me many times..." 

There was silence from her, and when he reopened his eyes to find out why the silence, he was shocked to see her halfway removing her top.

"Mirai? What are you doing?" He was stunned and before he could stop her, she moved onto him, pushing him back onto his bed. She occupied his lips while nervously reaching out to his hands...bringing them to her chest...

"I wanna do what normal couples do on a night like this.... I'm nervous too but I'm sure we can work it out somehow, Ryosuke..." She kissed him again, silencing him and gradually, she let her freehand run wildly beneath his top. As the internet guide taught, her hands slowly moved down, to his hips and ing his pants. It became sensual and she began to turn on, if that is how it should feel.

"STOP" Ryosuke reacted, separating from her lips, and pushing her away from him. He dressed himself back up from whatever she ed and wrapped a blanket over her top.

"Ryosuke?" she was frightened by his reaction. He was frantically retrieving the white tablets from his cabinet and popped in 2 into his mouth. Mirai went to him as he clutched his head as if in a very bad headache, only to be heartlessly brushed away. "Please just stand away for awhile."

"Is your head in pain? I'm sorry, I hurt you... I thought... I thought if it's me, we can work it out..."

He didn't answer, in fact his hands were trembling so badly, it was clearly a relapse. No matter how many times she called out to him, he didn't respond except to stretch out his hand to make sure she don't come closer.

"I can't do it... I don't feel anything, not in the way it should with someone I love... Mirai, don't force me, please..." he held his head and said in misery.

"Sorry...." is all she could say with her mind in constant repeat of the words the lady spoke "You don't deserve to be his girlfriend cause you don't genuinely care for him." Her own selfish desires and her own needs to quench her own insecurities have hurt him so terribly. She rushed into things and now her presence only disturbed him.

"Can you go home first? I will contact you tomorrow..." he pleaded finally. She knew if the night was to end this way, she will regret. If she were to be a spoiled brat for the last second, she needed to make that request. She went towards him and took his hands. Even if he didn't look at her, it is fine. She only wanted to say "Ryosuke, walk me home, please..."

It took him almost a minute, just before Mirai was giving up. "okay..." he reciprocated and held her hands. Mirai was glad things were under control, and she is determined to salvage the issue despite the lingering awkwardness about her ual provocation. It was her first time, and to her, she feel embarrassed to face Ryosuke, but she wants to make up to him. Just as Ryosuke reached for the door, the door bell rang. He didn't immediately wrenched open the door, in fact, he froze. His hands turned so cold, much more than earlier.

"Ryosuke?"

She couldn't understand, so at the repeated bell, she placed her hands over his on the door knob and opened the door. Behind it, revealed that lady... Mirai was shocked, Ryosuke was simply unreactive, and the lady who is dressed in a red provocative dress with a flirtatious perfume smirked. 

"ah, your little girlfriend is here..."

Ryosuke nodded. 

"aren't you gonna invite me in?" she asked and he pulled Mirai to the side, letting the lady paced in like it was her apartment too.

"I can meet him anytime I want and you are not going to stop him nor me from meeting. He will never resist me." Mirai remembered her saying. Gazing at Ryosuke, she felt he was almost submissive to her.

"you can go home yourself right, Shida Mirai-san... We've plans if you don't mind."

Plans on the last hour of christmas? Mirai thought nervously. She didn't want to make a scene at his apartment especially what happened earlier. He didn't refuse her instructions, neither did he let go off her hands. When the silence dragged too long, she wanted to ask his prefence.

"Ryosuke,.."

Instead, he look intensely into her eyes and said, "Call me when you get home, so I know you are safe." Such kind words he spoke, but why does it sound so cold. Was he still angry at her, but it didn't sound that way before the lady appeared.

"...okay..." she answered. But till now, he didn't let go off her hands, still holding it tightly as if he didn't want her to go.

"are you not going off? it is getting late..." the lady interrupted Mirai and Ryosuke's interlocking gaze. Regardless how angry she is at the lady, she respected Ryosuke and slowly pulled away from his hands. "bye Ryosuke" she said with his eyes still looking into her. 

The door closed behind them, and Mirai exited the building. Overlooking the apartment from outside where the lights illuminate the interior, she thought of many things. What are they doing inside at this time? what plans do they have? "my relationship with him is closer than you and any other ladies. He will never touch you beyond a kiss or a hug, but for me, we have shared more than just that..." Mirai recalled.

She returned to her empty apartment and it didn't help to quench her endless imaginations. She quickly took her phone, hoping to hear his voice. It wasn't picked up on the first call... and the second... then the third.... She was so nervous as she thought about her own insecurities that what she hoped is not happening is indeed happening within the closed doors. At the fourth call, he picked up. "Ryosuke... I reached... Are you still sleeping already?"

"..."

"Ryosuke?"

"...yes... Mirai..."

"ne?"

"oyasumi"

And the phone became disengaged. Disappointment flooded her as she heard his disinterested answering. Crashing on her bed, she shut her eyes and mind from all the negative thoughts. But one thing stayed so prominently in her mind. The look on Ryosuke. His eyes looked different when he gazed into hers that last minute, like all the vitaility, life, happiness were all out from him. She thought she was thinking too much, but she thought she felt his desperate plea from his eyes. His icy cold hands didn't seem to release her. 

***

Please share your thoughts if u are reading this story:)