Chapter 3

The Stranger

Mirai POV

If a new day means, everything starts afresh, not exactly. The morning was alright, in fact it was great, except it wasnt because of me. Instead, I saw hope in Sora and my brother. When I was awaken by the fragrance of food, I went to its source, only to be welcomed by sweet scene of my brother helping Sora over the tap cause she burnt her hands. They were too engrossed that they didnt know I was there. I should help Sora in her injury, but I guess she would prefer im not there. I stood behind the door, quietly watching their adorable interactions, very much of which is contributed by her clumsy actions. She is too shy to even look at him in the eyes. I see my brother, insensitively leaning his body to her back, almost like wrapping her in his arms. His hand held her injured arm over the running tap, letting the water cool her scalded hand. He is slightly taller than she is, so their face is almost beside each other during this intimate moment. I could imagine Sora hyperventilating. I would feel the same if the guy I like does this to me. Niichan~ you are torturing her. I giggled. Hearing their conversation was even funnier, lets not even consider how badly Sora is trembling in her voice.

"Luckily I was here. I cant believe you were intending to just leave the wound alone. First aid 101, wash your scald point in tap water for at least 5-10minutes, then apply ointment for burnt. If not, it'll leave a scar"

"I... I really dont know. You're right,?thankfully you're here."

"You dont have to make breakfast for us. You're our guest anyway. If anyone has to do it, Mirai should be the one"

I frowned at my brother's stab in the back.

"It's nothing really. Just a simple sunny-side up. It's the least I should do for your kind hospitality last night. I did bother you guys, especially Mirai, that she has to vacate the room for me. I must have bad sleeping habits"

"No no, thats not true. You dont have bad sleeping habits." Daiki rushed to explain.

"Heh, how did you know?"

This moment, I dashed out. 

"Mirai~... Ohayou"

"Ohayou..."

"Mirai, you better explain" Daiki interrupted the two of us. 

"umika, i am the one who has bad sleeping habits. Sorry. I left you alone in the room. You wont be able to tolerate me if i was inside."

"Thats kind of true. She's like a monster" my brother takes every opportunity to tease me. Fortunately for him, i cant hit him when he's still diligently tending to Sora's wound.

"It's okay, Mirai. Im not gonna be angry with you over this.. (Laughs) and i wont tell anyone about your habits"

"Sora~ not you too..." I whined. "You guys go ahead. Niichan, help me bring Sora to school okays"

"Where are you going?!" They both shouted in unison.

"Going off to thank a friend! So see you in class, Sora!" I hopped off happily. Im gonna do exactly what I said, and my target today - he is gonna accept my thanks with this little bento box filled with my sincerity. Rice, topped with furigake and at the side, is 2 pieces of tamago, chicken karage and small tomatoes. I made sure it is artistically placed like a smiley face before i closed the bento box. I prepared it last night after I left Sora in the room. Im quite confident the food is edible, since it's one of the few things i can actually do, though not my standard is too normal.

"Senpai!... ~ Ryosuke" i shouted from behind as soon as i saw him. The more I shouted, the faster he walked. I have to run, and eventually I caught up.

"Ohayou!"

He sighed, then said lethargically, "Yes?" 

"Thank you, for yesterday"

"You said that already..."

"I did?" I laughed. I have to exploit every opportunity to speak to him anyway right. However, my intention is another. 

"Here!" I pushed the bento into his hands, then dashed off without saying another word. I give him no opportunity to turn down. I could almost imagine him shouting from behind, desperately refusing if accepting gifts from a girl is against his principle. I dont care. I laughed. What I hope now, is that he will eat it, instead of throwing them away. 

Reaching the school, my mood became heavier. How am I supposed to face Umika, after yesterday's issue. I walked to class, to see a clutter of classmates crowding around Sora's desk. When I went closer, I was surprised to see her already seated on her desk, apparently arrived earlier than me. 

"Mirai, we didnt know you have a brother who is a detective. That's so cool!" The girls chattered. I am, on the otherhand, confused. Turning to Sora, i gave her the look of lost, hoping she could clear my doubts.

"Your brother drove me to school in the police vehicle."

"Oh, I see..." For a moment, I thought he came to introduce himself, and at the same time, possibly declare his relationship with Sora so other girls could not stand a chance. So we started our first class with speculations.

"I know what you are thinking, Mirai... But he's not interested in me. Besides, it's too fast for anything to develop between us." She said to me while we stood at the corner of the classroom facing the school fields. 

"As you rightfully pointed, it's still too fast to conclude that nothing will develop between the two of you right. All it takes is some more time..." I giggled, while speaking with zero experience.

"How is it possible he is single?

"I dont know why exactly he broke up with the last girl and im not about to probe though. Anyway thats over. Daiki is not single and available! Let me test the waters on him"

"No no, dont try, Mirai. If i ever meet him again, then it'll be awkward"

"You will! Buy him dinner some day? I'll arrange!" I excitedly exclaimed and she blushed and got all excited with me as well. 

"What are you staring at?" She asked me when I become dazed. Exactly what I am looking at? Him. Reading a book at the platform facing the tracks where his classmates are having track and fields. He doesn't participate, yet his muscles, abs and everything on him looks toned and strong. Oh no, is he a gay who frequents gym after school?! I gasped.

"What? Ohhh... Are you staring at my brother?" Sora giggled. 

"Kento?" I murmured to myself. There he is on the fields, taking off his top along with the other guys. "Kento is the same class as him"

"Who?"

"Nothing..." I almost forgot my aim to not let the girls know my fanatism over a guy and how i have never dated anyone before and is gonna go all out to get his friendship, if not love. Like her love at first sight for Daiki, it's my love at first sight for Ryosuke. Another reason, is cause there is no way i want to become the center of teasing. I'll be too shy to continue my pursuit. Whatever it is, NOW OR NEVER. I must get a boyfriend by end of high school.

"...if you like him, i must be the first person you tell okay... I'll push away other girls for you." She giggled. I laughed it away just as the bell rings for the next class. 

Apparently, Umika is already on her seat, diligently copying notes from the first class she missed. 

"Umika..." I called out to her. She looked at me, expressionless. I doubt i can go on to speak to her about yesterday, she didnt seem keen. Just as i am about to give up, i saw a smile gradually b on her face. It is delayed and awkward, but at least it's a sign of hope for a renewed friendship.

As the lessons went by, i began looking forward to lunch with her and with Sora. The three of us... Maybe we can just pretend nothing has happened, and let it past. Ryosuke's advice may not be absolutely necessary. I convinced myself. Partly because im really bad at confrontations.

But, I am wrong.

The two stood up right after the school bell for lunch rang. Sora is the one who spoke, "mirai, the two of us will be having lunch with some of our old classmates. You'll be okay yourself, right?" Umika avoided my eyes, Sora sounded alittle hesitant. I know at once that Sora might have heard about yesterday. I hope i had the guts to address the issue, openly with Umika. I have no idea what she has told sora, but it's upsetting to know i may be backstabbed and given no chance to defend myself. Even a criminal has that chance before the court right. It is hard for me to object to their lunch plans. It is legitimate as it sounds. I nodded and gave a pretentious smile. 

Frankly, this is a huge problem for me. I never ever eat alone. Im needy, and I admit. There's no way I endure the loneliness. I feel people will stare at me like someone with no friends, or worst, think I am some weird person. I rather not eat. I avoided the canteen, in caseI bumped into them. I walked the long way to the fields, and took a seat on the spectator platform. It is sheltered from the blazing afternoon sun, but the summer heat is quite unbearable after awhile. It is so warm, and that heat is trapped in my body, unable to dissipate. This feeling is so terrible, I thought I can get a heat . Those on the field doesnt look like they are suffering as bad as me though. Am i that useless. To top it up, my stomach growl furiously. 

Maybe it's the heat, maybe it's the lack of energy, I feel tired and drowsy. My eyes shut by itself and too exhausted to open, even when I sensed someone sitting beside me. That familiar citrusy cologne smell... 

I forced my eyes to open to confirm my guess. "S-senpai~" i was right. it's Ryosuke.

i stood up too fast; blood rush to my head, my eyes was a blur, the world is spinning.

"Hey!" He caught me in his arms then help me sit back on the seat while I clutch my head in dizziness.

"Sorry... I think i sat too long and stood up too fast. I just have to rest for awhile, I think I should be okay." I rubbed my temples, thankfully my view gradually clears up though i still feel weak.

"Are you anaemic or something?" He asked in a gentle tone.

"A little. It doesnt usually affect me."

"A little? And you dare skip lunch?" He got less tolerant.

"How did you know? Were you noticing me?" I cheekily smiled. Even saying a joke now was tedious for me. He's right, I think i triggered my anaemic problem. Even my gastric pain is acting up. I wrenched my waist as it cringes in pain.

"I was sitting a few platforms above you. You were tilting left and right unnaturally. It is worrying. go and have your lunch now!." I cannot tell him about my fear for loneliness. He will think i am weird too.

"Because your friends aren't with you, you are not gonna eat?" 

I was stunned by the accuracy of his statement. Is it that obvious?! 

My eyes widened in surprise when he retrieved the bento box I gave him in the morning. Apparently he has brought it out for his lunch too. 

"Have this. Since you are not gonna go to the canteen," he handed it over to me.

"No, i gave it to you, i prepared it for you, so i'm not gonna take it back. You have it" i pushed it back to him.

"You're really stubborn," he sighed. I am breaking in cold sweat by now. The pain from my gastric is spreading over my body. As much as I tried, I couldnt successfully mask my pain, as seen from his expression filled with concern.

"In that case, you share with me. We half it. Will that do?"

I nodded. He immediately opened the bento and passed me the chopsticks. He placed it right in my hands. Our hands gently touched upon each other, his warmth radiating from his palm is comforting against the chills of my hurting body. I look into his eyes like seeking approval and he gives me a subtle nod.

I took the first bite of rice and the karage. It is amazing. Then i couldnt stop. Fitting into my mouth, one small bite size serving at a time. Food really does wonder. More importantly, I see him eating it too. I am really glad to see him liking it. The happiness I put into preparing it seem to have reached him. I see the slight radiance emerging from his face as he fed himself. This is how, we share the first meal together. In halves. Sitting opposite each other, i could see him closely, he could see mine. I see his beautiful eye lashes, much prettier than mine. I see his thin lips again, it is extremely kissable and seductive. How does it feel like to have it against mine. Sweet like strawberries, soft like marshmallow. How about his arms holding me close to him, his fingers entwined in my hair as he caressed it. Our dancing tongues brought the intensity to the maximum. My imaginations went wild.

He cringed, i thought he saw my intense observations. Then I realised the reason.

"You dont like tomatoes?"

"Not really, but I can..." 

Before he could finish what he is saying, I snatched the other tomato from his chopsticks and stuff it in my mouth. I let out a smile of mischief. He chuckled. He really did! That eye smile appeared for a split second, and I hope it would last. That smile, that split second laughter from him cured every pain I had in that 30 minutes. 

"Mirai..." A second voice interrupted us.

There standing behind Ryosuke was Kento. He looks displeased and I wonder what had happened.

"Senpai~ you wanna join us?"

Ryosuke didnt turn around to welcome him. That light smile on him has disappeared without a trace. Now he is back to his usual cold prince image, in fact much heavier hearted than usual. Kento too had that very perplexed look on his face. It is as though the 2 of them had an intense feud.

"Come with me ~" he instructed. 

"Is something wrong?"

He didnt answer, instead he grabbed my hand and pulled me away. 

"Thank you Ryosuke" for the first time, I called him by his name comfortably. I thought the launch today has unlocked a new achievement, and this warrants the change. Calling senpai is really too mainstream, too hostile. I would like people to call my name too, cause that makes interaction more humanistic and friendly. Though how the lunch ended was nothing near friendly. It ended abruptly. 

Kento seems urgent. He dragged me to the canteen and sat me at a bench at the corner. No sign of Umika and Sora. That is a close shave.

"What happened?"

"Sit here for a while..." he left the seat, only to return with a tray of food, accompanied by a cup of hot milk.

"Heh?"

"Eat up. Do you expect that little food to fill you up for track and fields, lessons, and judo club?"

He sounds very harsh. I wont want to argue with him "Okay." I eat up, while waiting until he is simmered down from the  anger.

"Anou, senpai..." I cautiously approached my question, "are you on bad terms with Yamada-kun?"

"Why did you ask?"

"Cause the two of you basically ignored each other just now. And both your faces look irritated. I dont quite know how to explain this"

"I dont like him. I suggest you dont go too near to him. There's a reason why he doesnt have friends. He's strange...," he bluntly said it. So there is some bad blood between them. At the same time, I dont feel good hearing this. Though Ryosuke has not formally become my friend, but i feel the urge to defend him. Not just for him, but for anyone around me.

"I dont think you should say such things about people just cause you dont like him. Im not sure what happened between the two of you, but it shouldnt affect the way I view him, cause he has done nothing to deserve hate from me."

I am really out of my mind, getting angry with a senior i equally admire. I am about to even walk out on him, until he grabbed my hands and said "sorry, i didnt mean to. Im just afraid he will hurt you. There's more about him that you probably dont know, but you're right, i shouldnt colour your views. I only wanted to make sure you are okay"

"It's my bad too. I shouldn't be so agitated.  Anyway, there's nothing to worry. He is a nice person. You should try to forgive and forget the past too."

We exchanged a smile, signifying the end of an intense conversation about someone else. It sparks off another conversation, that has to happen.

"Umika cant pass elementary judo, so what happens now?"

"She has taken the test a few times already. It is hard for her to pass. She doesnt have the flair for judo."

"But she is really passionate about it. How can we help her?"

"I am planning to help her, probably a one-to-one session and see how it goes."

"Yes! If you help, she can definitely do it!" I burst out in gratitude that I shook him hard. He laughed heartily. The lunch turned out rather enjoyable. When I lunch with Ryosuke, I have to constantly think of what to say, to break the silence, but with Kento, conversation just run by itself. Nevertheless, for either of them, there was no awkwardness.

I returned to class after lunch. Only Umika is at her seat. She saw me coming in. I thought she is going to avoid me. With that perspective, i thought it's better I isolate myself. However, this time, she tapped me on my shoulder. She took Sora's seat and pulled it closer to me. 

"I am sorry. My behaviour yesterday is unforgivable. What i said hurt you so much. I hope i can make it up to you."

"It's okay, Umika. You dont have to make it up to me. I haven't been sensitive too. You were very upset for the test. ." That part about my insensitivity - im not very sure, but anything for a truce. 

"There's no fault from you. And im not actually just upset about the test. I am jealous of you..."

"Me? What's there to be jealous of me about"

"There's more than you think. You are cheerful, you are bold, you are adventurous, pretty...guys will love you."

"Pretty? Guys will love me? I cant agree with this. If i am, i wont be single until now. You, on the hand, are much prettier. You are sweet and demure, im just unfeminine and uncouth."

"Do you have anyone you like, Mirai...?"

"Me?... Hmmm... y-yama... Ah no one"

"Yamazaki Kento?"

"No, i dont." I thought she is gonna mention yamada. But she mentioned Kento instead...

"You sure?"

"He is handsome and all, but i dont like him"

"Mirai, I like him. It's okay right?"

"Oh my! Of course it is okay!! That will be great~ is that why you were jealous?"

She nodded with much embarrassment. I brought her in for a cuddle, "dont worry about it. You can have him. (I have another one to target)"

"Huh?" She tried to listen in to my mumble but luckily she couldnt. And so, one adversity averted. Im glad we talked over the cause, or is could really have been a ridiculous 'death'. Ryosuke's method was indeed a necessary step. 

****
Umika POV

I am so close to telling Mirai the full cause of my jealousy. It isnt her that I cant trust. i believe that when she said she doesnt like Kento, she really didnt. I looked at her innocent eyes, and I know she treasures friendship and would not lie to me. However, when I heard those very words from his mouth, my fear that Mirai and Kento will eventually be a couple kept recurring.

While I sat beside her, i remembered yesterday in the nurse's clinic. After she stormed out, i was already regretting my harsh words. She didnt do anything wrong, yet I hurt her terribly. I couldnt help it, seeing another girl getting close to my all-time crush. I had loved Kento since preschool where the two of us, and Sora attended. He is more than a big brother to me. He takes care of me a lot and for a long time, i have wanted him to not just be my brother.

I broke down in tears as the nurse helped dress my wounds. She nagged at me for being a weakling, but what she didnt know is my weakness was in my heart not my wounds.

The last person I would want to meet in this awful state is Kento, and he had to walk in. "Umika~" 

The nurse exclaimed crudely, "boy, take care of this crybaby. I'll leave this place to the two of you. Dont mess it up when you guys are leaving"

He gave her a light nod, then the room is immediately silent with only our breathing sound and my wailing. I cupped my mouth to stop my cries, it didnt help. My sight of him only made everything worse. He approached me and said nothing, but lightly pat my head.

"Do you really want to continue judo? Umika, we grew up together, I can see your love-hate relationship for judo. I dont know the reason for your persistence, but i cant bear to see you get injured over and over again."

"~ i want to... You dont believe i can do it?"

"To be frank, I dont think judo suits you. I remember your love for dance. Where is that passion? I was very shocked then that you joined judo when you entered Horikoshi."

"My dream is here. I wanna follow that dream... Please, dont chase me away."

He sighed. "Im not gonna chase you away. Neither am I gonna allow your passion for dance to fade away. If you are gonna further injure yourself, especially your ankle, you wont be able to dance even if you want to. 

"Kento~"

He showed me his back, then signalled me to climb on it. "you just listen to me for now. Like old times, i will piggyback you home"

"Heh?"

"Your parents are not in, so it's my duty to make sure you are okay." He pulled my arms over his shoulders. He secured me on his back and off he goes. Yes, the feeling of our childhood days return. Those days of innocence, where we can interact freely with each other without any concerns were what we can never enjoy now. As we grow up, the time we can spend together lessens, the conversations we have reduced, but the awkwardness and the space between us increases. We may be physically close at this present moment, our minds and hearts are distanced.

"Kento~"

"Yes?"

"You like Mirai, dont you?"

"...."

He didnt give me an answer. But i knew him too well that I no longer needed one. I hope time freezes at this moment where I am carried on his back, even though I know the time does not belong to me. Once I wake up from my dream, the reality will hurt.

****

The cold dark place, engulfed the whole of Sora. Her fearful heart trembles at the sight of the many hostile, violent faces of the subjects brought in for interrogation. The police officers at the station each wore a stern, expressionless face. Some were shouting, most were uncouth. Step by step, a police officer in uniform, almost twice the head taller than her, led her in deeper into the tiger's lair. She couldnt pace her breathing and thought she would hyperventilate in the room with nothing but 4 walls. The 4th wall was a transparent glass that sees through to another room with wall lined with numbers 1 to 10. She knows what this place is. The infamous identification parade room where it's one-way mirror allow witness to identify the criminal. Her job today is to point out the person who last quarrelled with the deceased drummer.

"Yamazaki Sora-san, is there any questions you would like to ask me before we bring out the 10 people?"

She shook her head subtly to the firm voice of the officer, who is later joined by 4 others. The overcrowded room made her discomfort grow. Then with the officer's signal over the telecom, 10 people marched into the other room. Sora is startled by how vengeful each of them look into the glass into her eyes, even though her face cannot be seen over the mirror. There is that one who gives most chills to her spine. His eyes were still and calm, but have so much energy built into them, it could possibly penetrate through the glass and onto her. Regardless her fear, she did not hold back. It implicates the loss of a life, it's too severe not to reveal the one.

She pointed at number 4. The pub manager she cannot forget. His heated argument with the drummer haunted her dreams. 

And she's done. The 10 of them in the other room moved out in a single line, then a few, including him, leaned particularly to the glass mirror. That proximity scares her. She stumbled backwards.

"You okay?" The officer asked. She answered with a nod in a much constrained way.

"Is my work here done?" She asked timidly as she was led out of the station.

"Yes. If there's a need, we will call you back for assistance."

"Okay" she nodded. Then just at that moment when the officer left her sight at the entrance, the pub manager dashed towards her out of nowhere.

"Ahhh!" Sora took many steps back when she saw him coming, not realising she is on a flight of stairs. While the officer came in time to subdue him, she fell backwards, and she knew for sure she's gonna be in a bad injury.

Fortunately, someone caught her from behind. His voice is kind and warm, his grip is firm and protective. "Careful~ are you hurt?"

"Daiki..." She turned around to see her saviour whose hands have secured her shoulders from behind. 

"Sir" a few officers manage to subdue the pub manager who went hysteric.

"Why did you malign me?!!!" The pub manager continued yelling. Daiki stood in front of Sora, ushering her behind him and said to the manager, "i dont think she did. She is speaking the truth"

"No, she is lying!"

"I suggest you give up right now. I have all evidence I need to charge you formally, even without her testimony." Daiki said in a very firm tone with a hint of sarcasm. The manager, on the contrary, lost all his confidence and madness, instead he looked petrified.

"You were too careless. We found the first scene where you stabbed the drummer, and you left your thumbprint right where his blood stained the wall. It is an awkward spot, so it couldnt have been left there by accident. There are more, i guess you would like to hear?" Daiki smirked, then instructed, "take him in"

"Yes sir!" The officers said in unison. They restrained him then brought him back to the station. 

Sora should have heaved a sigh of relief by then. However, she look dazed.

"Sora. You will be okay to get home yourself right? Dont worry cause he will be with us."

She nodded slowly then paced down the steps and walked absentmindedly, entirely ignoring Daiki when he said bye. Daiki kept his eyes fixated on her, and fortunately she did.

"Oi!!!" Daiki pulled her in right at the moment she almost walked onto the busy road where the pedestrian light is red. "Are you crazy? You almost got yourself killed!" He look at her and seeing her in a state as though she has lost her soul or possessed, he became worried. "Why not you wait at my office first. Let me get my work done, hopefully in an hour, i will drive you back"

It isnt really a question, cause Sora seems like she lost all her senses. It will be too dangerous if she has many roads to cross. Daiki decided it for her and brought her back into the station. Except this time, he brings her straight to his personal office.   

"Sit here for a while. Please rest or do whatever you want here, as long as you dont wreck anything or read the documents. No one will come in, just lock it from inside. I will open the room with my key later"

She silently nodded again. Peering at him as he stepped out of the room, she could sense how he does all he can to help her feel safe. She appreciates his kind thoughts and felt his security. That overwhelming sense of protection, that calm mood, all eventually lullabied her to sleep. Her heavy lids could no longer hold, and she sat on the couch with her head comfortably lying on the sides. It's not exactly a comfortable posture but to fully lie down on the couch would be too rude to the owner of the room and too unglamorous for a girl. She went into such deep sleep that she thought she had a serious head concussion when she woke up almost 2 hours later.

The day was already dark, signalling night time. She pries open her eyes, rubbing it lightly. It took her awhile to realise she is fully lying on the couch, her legs up. She is most surprised to feel a denim jacket over her, keeping her warm in the air-conditioned room. She feels the presence of someone else, so she shifted her eyes to the desk in front. 

"DAIKI! Oh my gosh! How long have you been back?!!" She sprung up from the couch, hitting her knees against the coffeetable out of a state of recklessness. "Itaiii"

"Careful~ you are really accident prone," he nagged while walking towards her. He sat right beside her, without any space in between, making it very nervous for her to handle. She adjusted for a slight gap then faced him as he observed the bump on her knees. "I thought you should have relaxed your nerves by now. Turn out you are sill so uptight."

"He's really too scary. The look of him outside, dashing right at me, is horrifying"

"I guess... He did look monstrous just now. But i hope im not right? Cause your reaction just now when you jumped up from the couch is as though you saw a ghost."

"No no. It's just that I am surprised it has already past 2 hours and i am wondering why you didnt wake me up when you were back earlier. I just wasted your time"

"Wasted my time? (Laughs) no, i did quite alot of work too. I managed to complete my charge sheet to bring him to court."

"He is guilty for sure?"

"He is. He admitted finally. As you have guessed, this drummer has been threatening him to give a higher profits or he would spill secrets about him which could potentially hurt his relationships with his family and get his career ruined. Out of rage after the argument you witnessed, he killed him. Sora, he apologised to you too for going after you, almost hurting you earlier."

"Are you serious? Or are you saying just to make me feel less scared"

"No, of course not. He asked me to convey to you that he is sorry for causing any discomfort. He shouldnt blame you for the consequence he now faced, it's himself who have caused such unfortunate event... So you dont have to worry over it in your sleep. Insomnia begone..."

"How did you know I didnt sleep well yesterday? It was horrible, the moment I close my eyes, I could see the bloody drummer and the vengeful manager coming over me" she shivers even at the thought of that.

"It's very normal for witnesses to feel so. Besides, your insomnia is written all over your face. Uptight, paranoia are tell tale signs too. Thats why i didnt wake you up earlier, it seems you were having a good rest from the exhaustion"

Sora feels both shy and thankful. She is actually feeling protected and she began to crave his constant doting. Jealousy for Mirai for having such loving brother was a given.

"Come, if you have no plans, let me treat you to a dinner... Perhaps at the same pub?"

"No way! Anywhere but there" She protested. 

Then he chuckled, "im kidding. Lets iust go a cafe to relax. Im dead tired too..." He gestured to her and she followed his lead. He drove in a white volswagan beetle which was also her favourite type of car, and she gets to sit beside him. That to her is a kind of privilege cause she gets to sit beside and enjoy the unobstructed view of the scenery from the front passenger seat. She felt relaxed, leaving her mind totally switched off to enjoy the night view. Later that night, the cafe ambience, the music and mostly the partner, made it all mesmerising and unforgettable. She saw his charisma that eliminates any awkward silences and lifts any feelings of depression. 

****
Mirai POV 

It's the start of the weekends. Even though i was really still in the midst of pulling myself out of dreamland, I still spent some quality time with my brother. We took a jog at dawn and subsequently had a breakfast at a nearby bakery. The one thing that tickled me was how stern he was when he told me, "Mirai... You better not loiter this area without me, you understand... Some parts of this area can be quite dangerous. If i can find an apartment for you in the main towns, I will let you know..."

"No way. Unless you don't want me to stay with you. We have just reunited, I have no intention to leave. I am going to stick to you. I wont live off you, don't worry" my reaction is no better, almost sounded like a fight will break out between us in the otherwise peaceful morning.

"Who said about living off me? You aren't and besides, even if you did, it's my duty to take care of my only sister. I don't ever see you as a burden. My only reason for saying that is i dont want you to get hurt when I'm not at home," he defended with all seriousness in his tone. I believed him, at the same time, it tugged my heartstrings. After all these years of living separately, my irritating yet loving brother is still the way he is, or even more overtly protective than before.

"Don't worry, niichan. I'm not the weak little girl you know. I can protect myself. But if I ever sense danger, I will unreservedly tell you."

He revealed a chuckle then went on with his teasing, "quickly go get a boyfriend! He can share the worries"

"Ha! That don't worry, I'm working on it."

He is in a shock and I am not surprised cause it's an outright declaration of my heart which i have been quite unclear and rash. It's only until today, I feel I actually know what I want. Perhaps, I was influenced by Umika's confession to me about her love for Kento, or by Sora's heart fluttering when she was around my brother. I feel life is too short to ponder too much into it. 

I waited a second no more. Excusing myself from him after breakfast, I dashed right to the book cafe. The nice lady is standing right there at the door, waving at me.

"I thought you won't come~" she exclaimed as soon as I reached her. She patted my shoulders and ushered me in. "You sure you wanna do this right? Cause it's gonna be tough. I can actually get the guys to do it."

"No problem, I'll be okay. The guys are needed in the cafe instead." I gave my widest smile then disappeared from sight.