Chapter 12

The Stranger

Ryosuke stood outside her class naturally after his class ended early. He felt drawn to her increasingly, and when he is troubled, that urge to see her grows stronger. Those clumsy, yet adorable and overwhelming care she showered him when he was sick yesterday was still etched in his mind. The bland taste of the porridge she prepared was barely edible, but he swallowed every bit of it despite the appetite. That memorable taste is unforgettable. He listened to her humour, chat enjoyably until he too forgot about his own exhaustion. Now that he thought about it, it was hilarious. It did occur in his mind that he probably found the relief from his past. He surprised himself when he overcome his own fears and gave her that one kiss. That gesture unlocked the heart in him he never thought would ever see light again. He's thankful to her, yet guilty that he still kept his stories away from her. He wanted to gather his courage to at least clarify to her about the woman, and he hope he could do it today. But there was something else he needed her for, and until that gets out of his mind, he wont be able to focus.

He heard their giggles as her class dismissed. He took a peak and saw her bright smile as she gathered with Umika and Sora. Disappointment engulfed him and was even turning back when he heard their plans for the day.

"Let's go Harajuku! I need a shopping therapy" Umika exclaimed with enthusiasm from Mirai and Sora. 

"Yeay, i need to get some stuff too" Mirai said. Ryosuke hoped to get out of their sight before they see him loitering outside their class. Unfortunately, he was spotted right away, and he knew it the instance he heard murmurs then Umika's utterance of his name, "Ryosuke-kun?"

"Heh?" Mirai, as usual slower than others. He turned around and they walked towards him. He greeted them with awkwardness.

"Ryosuke? Were you looking for me? Oh no, did I miss your text?" Mirai frantically picked out her phone.

"I didn't send any text. I thought I just pop by."

"That's so sweet" the other 2 girls excitedly giggled, and Mirai blushed then hid behind Ryosuke like a shy puppy. He felt her small hands crept into his and he held it. Immediately, he could feel his cold hands turn warm in her touch. 

"You girls are going shopping right, I shan't hold you back anymore."

"No no, we shan't be date-breakers. You two lovebirds go ahead." The two scurried away, and you could hear their giggles.

"Sorry, i think I kinda ruined your plans ne."

"No Ryosuke. It's okay. Anyway, I had wanted to go shopping for..."

"For?"

"Ah nothing..." she giggled cheekily. "Anyway, whats up?"

"If you don't mind, can you accompany me somewhere?"

"Definitely, let's go!" Ryosuke was shocked when she so happily led him along although he hasn't said exactly where. A smile crept up his face, as his feelings went all relaxed, so much at ease. Her happiness is helplessly contagious that he always seem to forget all his worries when he is with her. 

"You don't know where I'm going ne?" He asked when they finally got out of the school gates.

"No," she laughed lightly at own foolishness, so he responded with a smirk. Ryosuke took over the lead and pulled her along instead. They boarded a bus that goes to Shibuya and headed straight to Shibuya 101. There were many couples roaming the streets of Shibuya, and he did feel the perks of having Mirai by his side, definitely less lonely than before. But getting used to that togetherness, isn't really his intention cause his fear of losing all of it and possibly slipping deeper into internal darkness was greater than ever. He gave a light squeeze in Mirai's hands just as she cuddled closer into his arms, like a possessive girlfriend showing off her boyfriend. He let her be, chuckling softly to himself at her unnecessary protective instinct that he is ever gonna forsake her for another flirtatious girl. To him, she is the one and only. For her, he will try to strengthen himself to be more dependable. 

"Ryosuke, what do you need to get?"

"A watch."

"Watch? For?"

"I need a designer watch for my father. I'm bad at choosing though, so I thought you can help me on this"

"Sure! But i think yours is quite stylish, maybe you can get a similar design, with a bigger face then it will be a father-son pair" she commented as he walked into a high-end watch shop. It's only then she realised the price of his watch was astronomy. Ryosuke saw the look of surprise on her face and expected that she will ask him about possibly the many questions in her mind - his father whom he never mentioned before, and his state of income? Yet she didn't utter any, except her unquestioning support.

They both browsed the minimalist style of Daniel Wellington's watch that could fit any gender and any age, and Ryosuke sought her advice, taking one with a bigger watch face than his. With its black strap, it brings out the humble, yet professional and classiness of the wearer. It was for the same reason Ryosuke got it for himself as his first watch and never seemed to part from it. He hoped like what Mirai said, that his father would like it as well. He got a nice giftbox and had it wrapped up by the staff. While he was engrossed with it, he didn't realised that Mirai was missing from his sight. Walking out of the shop, he looked left and right to see if he could spot her nearby. Chances of spotting her would be slim, especially when he doesn't know for sure when she moved away. Dialing her number on his phone, he hopes she would at least pick up.

"Ryosuke~ gomene, I needed to get something along the street for Daiki, but I didn't want to hold you back. I'll be done soon though, let's meet at the cafe at the end of the street, shall we?" She rushed to speak as soon as the call got through. 

"Alright then. I'll go over now. Come when you are done with your errands. Take your time, I am not in a rush either."

"Okay, thank you Ryosuke! See you in a bit" She said so ever brightly. Smiling brightly, he took a slow stroll along the streets. He thought of the smile his father will show when he sees the first present he bought for him after 12 years of separation. He thought finally he could properly wish him happy birthday, but at the same time, he felt butterflies in his stomach. Would he want to see him? Would he have preferred him not coming? He gripped his present tightly in all jitters as he thought of the possible reaction - mostly negative. 

Suddenly a warm feeling wrapped around his body. He was startled by it, looking up to see who has placed a white cotton cardigan over him. "Mirai? What's this about?" He said while referring to the cardigan.

"Do you like it? You were a little cold just now so I wanted to buy you something. Actually, I always think it'll exciting to shop for a gift for my boyfriend. And now that i finally have one, I want to do so..."

He bend down his head and chuckled softly as he heard her little girl's wish.

"Are you laughing at me? That's horrible ne"

He playfully stopped his laughter then ushered her to sit down. "Thank you. I love it. No one has bought me anything for some time now. So, thanks so much." Instead of just accepting his gratitude, she chose to do it daredevil style. She leaped from her seat, stretched across the table and gave him a peck on the lips. He was startled for a second but reacted almost in the next second with a sweet smile. 

"I don't know if my dad will like."

"He will, I'm sure of it..." she wringed her arms around his and snuggle beside him as they walked to the train station.

"I'm not only saying about that the watch. I meant me... Mirai, I haven't seen him for awhile. After I was released from the institution, I saw him very little and once I moved out, I don't see him anymore"

"Then, it's the more he will be excited to see how fine a young man you are now. Good at studies, handsome, perfect, he will be proud at how much you grow."

"Mirai... you are really optimistic..." he laughed. Once they got in the train, it became real packed when many passengers boarded at the next stop. He held her tightly as she loses her balance many times. In the end, she just clinged onto his torso, lying her head on his body, almost like a baby koala hugging its father. The sweater she bought for him rubbed against her face, it felt so soft and fluffy. What's bonus, was he never let go. Mirai could still see a hint of uneasiness on his face with his impending visit at his dad's place. She vaguely remembered sensei saying that it was his dad who turned the young Ryosuke to the mental hospital. Their relationship can't entirely absolve easily. She tugged herself tighter towards him, hoping she can offer that little comfort that she'll be there for him. After he sent her home, she saw how herself worry for him as he pace closer to his place of origin and perhaps even the place that led to his illness. The mystery of his hospitalisation still bothered her but she could only wait for the day he totally trusts her with his deepest secrets. 

***

Donned in a suit, Ryosuke walked along the pavement leading towards a majestic gate enclosing within a mansion, so brightly lighted under the twilight. There were several others in front of him, and he watched as they showed their invitation cards to the butler and passed the gate. He hesitated but mustered his guts to walk forward. Yet that hesitation arose the butler's suspicions. When it was his turn, the butler asked in a very hostile tone, "Sir, please show me your invitation card."

Ryosuke simply stood there with nervousness written all over his face. "I don't have any, but..."

"No, invitation card no entry. Students like you are really brats. Come for free food without any manners to the host"

Ryosuke was upset at his comments, and he didn't bother to explain himself in that blazing anger. Besides, it was true he was an uninvited guest. He turned back until he heard a frail voice of an old lady, "Young master! Young master, hold on..."

Ryosuke stopped as he heard her but did not turn around. He continued to hear the butler's surprised tone as the old lady cleared the air, "you fool. He's sir's son." He heard her slapping the butler's head, and almost blurted out in laughter. 

"Young master, it's so long since you visited... I'm so glad you have grown up well" tears welled up the old lady's eyes. Ryosuke saw it and was touched.

"Nanny, I'm sorry to worry you. I'm glad to see you again too" he took the initiative to give the old lady a warm hug. He felt her same gentle patting on his back and that gesture was so comforting. Even he couldn't hide his emotions from her. 

"Boy, sorry for making you all sad too. Stupid me, It's a happy occasion, let's not continue the down mood" she patted his head and smiled before pulling him excitedly into the mansion. He heard her commenting "sir will be so happy to see you."

"Would he?" He asked himself silently as he saw his father standing within sight. He doesn't look as strong as before. As Ryosuke paced towards him with a heavy heart, he never once took his eyes off him. That fear running through his veins was just like the last interaction he had with his father, in fact, every single interaction he remembered he had with him. The hard truth is, he couldn't remember any happy memories he had with his father no matter how hard he tried. Keeping those overwhelming emotions away, he greeted his father from behind. "Father..."

The man turned around and gazed at the boy with soft submissive voice. Ryosuke didn't dare look into his domineering eyes, instead lowered his gaze with his hands behind his back, likened to military style. While waiting for his reply, Ryosuke noticed the father before him looks vastly different from before. While he still had his majestic aura that gets him respect and pride, he has lost much of his younger shine and gained much age spots and wrinkles. 

"W-why did you come?" His father said with a bit of surprise but it didn't seem totally pleased about it. As Ryosuke expected his reaction to be much nasty, this to him was still tolerable.

"I haven't seen you for awhile. I wanted to wish you Happy birthday personally."

"Ah... Ryosuke, you're here! I knew you would come" the exhilarated reaction from the lady, whom Mirai was concerned of, alerted many guests. Ryosuke took a few steps back naturally as she rushed towards him. At the same time, he noticed his father stiffened. The reason was not difficult to figure when he saw the guests started murmuring around them.

"Do you have to call his name so loud~... now the whole world knows he is here." His father reprimanded the lady. Ryosuke felt the bluntness of his words. It strike his heart so bad, but that's not the end.

"What's wrong with people knowing that your son has come to wish you. He is filial and people should know it," she defended. It was awkward for Ryosuke to listen to their argument. The deafening murmurs of a mental son and the hurtful glances from all around continue to torment the father-son, until the tolerance got to a whole low. 

"I don't have a son like this... bring him out..." he instructed the nanny.

"Heh, but sir. Young master has a present for you too." She quickly grabbed the bag from Ryosuke's hands, retrieving the present from the bag and passing it to the angered figure. He didn't react at all, so she went on to open the box to reveal the watch. Ryosuke was sure his father noticed it was a father-son Daniel Wellington watch from the one on his own wrist. There was a long pause as his father seemed to be surveying the watch in solemness. 

"Bring it back. I don't need it..." yet his response was so awfully disappointing. While disappointing is something that can be managed, what hurts Ryosuke most was that hard gesture that flinged the box out from his nanny's hands and onto the ground. 
 
"Why did you do that?!" The lady reacted most hysterically, moving towards Ryosuke and tried to comfort him. 

"Why, you feel bad for him?" His father challenged the lady. Ryosuke was irritable by now. He gritted his jaw and clenched his fist, looking into his father's eyes with something more complex than hatred. He shrugged away the lady and picked up the broken watch. 

"Young master!" His nanny chased after, disregarding his master's call. Ryosuke could still hear his father's unshaken voice as he hollered to his guests, "please, don't mind the intruder. Let's resume the party."

Once Ryosuke was outside, the quietness made the noise from inside alot more apparent. He gazed over the pathway to the brightly lighted mansion, and clutched his palms over his aching heart where it has tightened so much that breathing has become impossible.

"Young master, sir don't mean it. He's always not good with emotions and words."

"It's not that I didn't expect him to react this way. I was too naive to think there's gonna be a miracle. I'm fine nanny."

"You have your father's traits too. Always saying you are fine when you are not."

"I'm really fine, nanny. I have good friends, classmates, and recently... i know a girl from school. She's kind and fun-loving. "

"Your new girlfriend?"

He nodded.

"Does she know about..."

"No, but I'll tell her soon."

"Young master..."

"I know what you're worrying about but if she decides to leave me, there's nothing that can be helped too." Ryosuke said in a confident tone like he had it all thought out. "Go on in, nanny. My father won't be pleased if i take up your time."

"Please don't stop coming back. Promise?"

"I will visit you again, nanny" he said while bearing a smile so heavy that once he turned his back against her, it collapsed. He dragged his feet along the roadside, walking miles to his final destination - the cafe. Not once were there any fallen tears. He was glad that it was Saki on duty today since he wouldn't bother him as opposed to the naggy and more observant lady boss. helping himself to a few cans of alcohol, then went into the deepest seat in the cafe and most secluded. He drank can after can of alcohol, drowning himself in all the bottled up misery. He felt so much like letting all his emotions out, but he kept every single tear back. He looked into his phone, and fought his own temptations to call that one person in mind. He didn't want to burden her yet. Be it a man's unnecessary pride at stake, or fear she gets tired of him, he didn't want her to come to him even though he yearned. Finally, he slumped on the table with his chin leaning right on it, in emotional fatigue. 

***
Mirai POV

Mirai has been observing Daiki for awhile from the living room. He was buried in his work at the dining table, and his brows so deeply knotted. Occasionally she sees him clenched his fist, and at what time he even punched the table in frustration. She can't hold it back anymore so she propped herself beside him, and finally asked.

"What's wrong? Is it a difficult case?"

Sighing loudly, he crashed onto the table. She chuckled lightly then ruffled his hair.

"Oi no manners" he grudged as he lifted up his head again, still very much lethargic. She chuckled daringly.

"It's not difficult but a troublesome one. The accused is the son of a tycoon. He's really a spoiled brat."

"What did he do?"

"He killed his business partner."

"Definitely over disagreements, if I may guess. It sounds like a straightforward case though."

"Well, I can't reveal details of the case. But the problem is not about the case, it's this brat. He acts like he is king of the world, looks down on other people...He thinks he have the money to boss people around..."

"He said or do something nasty to you?" Mirai looks at him with concern. She is beginning to see the cause of his brother's rage.

"It's no matter. Don't worry about me, you go ahead and rest early."

"Niichan~ I'm your sister. You can just tell me..."

"He said I'm nothing but a slave of money, and he said he can make me lose my job with just a call"

Mirai heard the depression in his tone. Patting him lightly, she said in a soft tone, "don't take it to heart. You are a detective, you are a law enforcer. You protect lives, and that is something money can't buy - lives. This guy is just pathetic."

"It's not easy to put him to justice. My bosses, they are resisting..."

"You mean they are telling you to let him off...?!"

He sighed, and that's a clear indication. Mirai was appalled and frustrated for his brother. His answer was affirmative of what she was thinking "he has an influential background... now my promotion is at stake."

"Niichan... are you gonna give in?"

"I don't know. It's my principles at stake too. Argh... what would you do Mirai?"

"I think i'll stick to my principles..." she answered, but deep down she knows her answer was overly simplistic. There's no way she could make her decision so easily if it was her hardwork and successes at stake. She gave her brother a light massage on his shoulders before quietly retreating away to give him his space. Instead, she got an idea of having someone else around who is much better in advising others.

She called on her cellphone and once it went through, she said, "Moshi moshi... it's me Mirai. Do you mind coming my house now? I'll explain to you the reason when you arrive."

Mirai felt gratifying after the call. She would leave the house to give her brother the space. She however continued to look at her phone, toggling her fingers around Ryosuke's number, having the burning urge to call him and ask if everything is going on well. But, what if he is in the midst of a great reuniting conversation with his dad and she disrupts it with her call? What if he is all stressed up and she distracts him with her curious call? She decided not to. Other thoughts came into her mind, optimistic thoughts that is. She recalled how Ryosuke cliqued with her parents so well despite his deliberate and circumstantial introversion. With that, she believed he is invincible enough to overcome this hurdle. It's his birth father after all. As long as Ryosuke himself is willing to forget that his father was the one who sent him into the mental institution, then there shouldn't be anything that stand in the way of a hearty reunion. She did chat a little with Daiki, and he felt Ryosuke's father could have reported his son because he loved his son and didn't want his condition to worsen. Both Mirai and Daiki agreed that Ryosuke should have understood this pure intentions of a father's love for his beloved son. As she pondered and worried for her other half, she unknowingly walked to the cafe. She was surprised to see the lights still up.

"Hi Saki!" She went in cheerfully which successfully influenced a smile on her face. But he quickly held up his fingers over his lips, hushing her to keep it down. She walked over to Saki, while looking around to understand why the hush. There, she saw a head leaned on the table as if in exhaustion. His hands clutched a bottle of alcohol but he was clearly in a deep comatose already. That chestnut coloured hair was too familiar even if his face was facing away from view.

"Don't tell me that's Ryosuke?!" She quietly exclaimed.

"Yes. He hasn't spoken a word since he came in about an hour ago, and he had been drowning himself with bottles and bottles of alcohol. I'm afraid his body can't handle it."

"I guess you don't know what's wrong either?"

Saki shook his head at Mirai's question. She sighed, then relieved Saki from his duties as he too was revealing signs of exhaustion. Mirai figured he had worked overtime to look after the drunk Ryosuke. Once Saki left, Mirai gently walked towards Ryosuke, seeing him dressed in a long sleeve shirt with his tie loosened on his collar, while his blazer placed on his sides. A paperbag at the corner of the table caught her attention. She reached in silently and found the same box which she knew hold the watch she went to choose with Ryosuke for his father. Has he returned from the party? Or has he not gone for it yet? She casually opened the box, but was shocked to see the watch broken - its screen cracked, and the time has stopped running. She took a glance at Ryosuke who appeared so tired that it now reveals his utter disappointment and dejection. Mirai returned the box, then lightly ran her fingers down his hair, patting him, consoling his aching heart which she could almost feel it in hers. she began to see the light - his father has turned him away. She sat in front of him, head leaned on the table with her eyes fixated on the troubled boy. She saw tears trapped in the corner of his eyes with brows knotted so tightly. She let her hands over his fist, so tensely closed. She lightly rubbed it, then wriggled her way through that fist and held his hands warmly. Her free hand caught his fallen tear and at the same time, he saw his lips pursed like perhaps his heart tightened that instance. She couldn't hold it in anymore. She went beside him and wrapped her arms around him from his back, leaning her head on his broad shoulders, mumbling his name.

"Mirai~" he woke up and looked solemnly in her eyes. 

She pulled him back into her embrace, cause she needn't his explanation. She understood his pain. "It's okay..." she said in his ears, while patting his back softly. She felt him reciprocate, and that was comforting to her. At least he wasn't taking it all upon himself.

That night, they took a stroll back to his house, and so he insisted on walking. It took her much efforts to convince him on not sending her home. "Ryosuke, you okay?" She asked as she saw him wobbling with his hands clutching his head at times.

"Just abit giddy and... abit nausea."

She cheekily walked in front of him and squatted down. 

"What? Are you having tummyache or something?"

"No silly! I'll piggyback you..." she pointed to her back.

"Are you kidding?" He burst into a lighthearted laughter, and she was glad, so much so that she ended up giggling at herself. Yet, she was persistently serious too.

"Hop on. I'm not weak..."

"Well, I'm not doubting but if my nausea gets worst and I throw up, you'll be drown by my vomit."

He chuckled once again, probably at how Mirai reacted in hesitation, as if enlightened by the possible disaster. Walking forward, his arms clinged onto her shoulders and continued on side by side. "This way will be safer, at least I won't throw up on you" 

"Ryosuke, can you promise me something?"

"Yes?"

"Don't keep to yourself. I can listen and help with your problems too."

"... you don't think I'm troublesome? I don't want to bother you like a nuisance."

"I am much more a nuisance. So please don't think that way. I also preferred how you were rude and all to me before we started going out. You were too politely and careful recently"
 
He smiled alittle, and that was a cute acknowledgment as Mirai saw it. His words were even more so, "that's because I cherish you now. But thanks for telling me that." He snuck an attack on her, lifting her and twirling around foolishly.

"Ahhh... Yamada Ryosuke, I don't mean this," she protested while laughing heartily with him. When they reached his house, she went in with him to make sure he's fine. The instance he reached his bed, he laid on it as if his tiredness has all taken over. 

"Oi wake up Ryosuke! You are reeking of alcohol. You need to clean up or the discomfort won't go away..." she sat beside his 'dead' body and nagged. He turned his body to the side, away from her and responded lethargically, "im a guy. This smell is manly"

"What? Oi..." she shook his tough arms but to no avail. "You're stubborn ne." Then she walked off. Ryosuke took a peek at her, thinking he really peeved her, but it was a relief when he sees her return. He shut his eyes as she carried a pail of water and towel towards him.

Without a word, she flipped him back to face front, kneeled beside him on the bed and ran the towel over his face. "Your eyelashes are really admirably long.. (sigh) mine is so short. Unfair"

He chuckled at her comment. He opened his eyes while she began cleaning his neck and finally, taking the initiative to loosen his tie to reveal his chest beneath the first button. He watched her as she delicately tend to him. He didn't experience any of the uneasiness in such intimacy, and that to him was a great achievement. It also means she has now become even more important in his life that he feared of eventually losing her the day she learn more about him. He clutched onto her shoulders, startling her, especially as he pulled her down to lie beside him, facing each other with his interlocking gazes that deeply penetrates her heart. He looks serious with a million unspoken words that made her nervous, much more with that close proximity that tempts her with his seductive lips. She boldly gave a kiss on his lips, and he did not cringe at all. Instead he pulled her into his arms; she laid in his embrace.

"Ryosuke, you don't fear anymore?"

"No... not at all with you." He gave a light peck on her forehead.

"Is it really scary back there...? In the institute? I hope you can tell me..." she caressed his face lightly as she asked with anxiety.

"Strapped up in a jacket, bounded to a chair, then applied electric treatment. That pain is excruciating... it makes you fall so deep into a black hole that you lose hope about everything in life, but the worst is when you see those around you and start doubting about the genuinity of every person every relationship cause you know you are dirt in their eyes."

Mirai felt tears in her eyes but she hold it back since Ryosuke never took his eyes of hers. She don't wanna show her pity for him. What he went through was demeaning for humans, and it's no wonder his inferior complexity is so great he distanced himself from love. 

"I'll make sure no one hurts you again, I promise..." she gave him another kiss on his pale lips.

"You are really an awesome girl, Mirai. You're brave, you're innocent, you're so pure. I will never ever hurt you, you will believe me right?"

"Is there something bothering you? You can tell me..."

He tugged her closer then shuts his eyes in her comfort. The radiating heat from his body was so soothing she let herself fall asleep in his arms peacefully.

***

Daiki couldn't believe when he saw Sora surprisingly by the door. He was frantic especially because he is disheveled. 

"Oh no... sorry..." Daiki wanted to zoom off to tidy himself before returning to the door, only to be stopped by Sora.

"It's okay, ne." She let herself into the house, dodging Daiki on her way.

"Mirai called you here? Who am I kidding, it must be her," he was not just annoyed but he found himself in a mess. As he was preoccupied with himself, Sora has snugged up to him and started tidying him beginning from his hair. 

"What are you doing?"

"Let's go out for a breather."

"Heh?!" He was stunned. In any case, she disregarded his shock, and proceeded to pull him along. 

"Wait! I really dont have time, Sora! I'm sorry, but I can't fool around right now. You can call your other friends to play with you" he shouted while shrugging her hands away in the middle of the pavement, leading to the park. Sora was disappointed at his reaction, and it's shown all over her face.

"I'm sorry if you think I'm someone who doesn't take things seriously. I only thought if you take some time to relax, your mind can think better, cause your problem is clearly one that requires mental resilience." She lowered her head and bowed in apology. "I wasted your time. Sorry again. I probably should just go back"

"Wait... i should be the one apologising." Daiki ran back to her and faced her with all guilt. "I shouldn't have vented my frustration on you. Please forgive me..."

"I will, if you do what I say..."

Daiki looked at her with a blank look. She pulled his hand and brought him to the playground in the park. It was like reliving childhood memories as they played on the swings, the merry go round, the seesaw, freely without any inhibitions. Daiki felt like he has temporarily thrown all his frustrations aside, and as he did so, it seemed everything he couldnt understand before became much clearer. When everything comes to a standstill, they sat on the ground and chat.

"You're right. My mind was so messed up that I can't figure anything out. Thanks Sora. I'm really sorry for my unruly behaviour earlier."

Facing each other, Sora took both his hands and held it like it was hers to claim. It's strong and warm. Daiki quietly looked at her, confused but remained silent. It was therapeutic - for some reason, his nerves gradually unwound.

"I think you're a great detective. That's what you set out to be right?" Sora asked. He didn't respond and it didn't require any, Sora saw the answer in his eyes. "Besides, if you do lose your job over this, then it just means this place is so screwed up it needs some fixing from the outside... just don't doubt yourself"

"I guess you're right. To win the battle against the Tycoon and possibly risk burning the bridges from all the goodwill I've built thus far, I guess I need alot of support too."

"Right..." Sora agreed.

"I mean your support." Daiki added.

"Heh? Me?" She blushed. 

"There's no one here right, so of course I mean you..." he ruffled her hair as he said.

"Definitely!" She felt like she was dying in joy as he raised her importance. He had unknowingly accepted her presence and grew so comfortable with her that he had gradually forgotten what has initially held him back. He smiled silently at the carefree girl while she stared into the broader sky filled with hopes and dreams.

***

Mirai couldn't remember when was the last time she had such a good sleep. Her body was not aching nor was she even the slightest exposed after spending the night with her lover. It would be a lie if she said she wasn't at all disappointed that nothing of that sorts had happened. But he is special, so as long as she gets to be with him, she is more than contented. Whatever the other girls around her have experienced of love, she understood that was nothing more than just an extreme form of physical interaction of 2 bodies, and that could mean nothing. Nothing symbolic. She convinced herself while stumbling to the kitchen with a groggy head. She saw a table of western food, a sunny side up was most prominent. Her eyes was captivated not by the food, instead the guy with his figure against the sunlight. She watches him from behind as he continued to wash the ladles and pans, oblivious she has awakened. He was wearing the white sweater she bought for him beneath the apron. Seeing that scene, she helplessly smiled widely to herself. She crept up towards him then gave him a backhug. He got startled by her but almost immediately he asked, "anything i can help with? Breakfast is ready, you can start first." 

She adjusted herself, letting her face rub against his warm back. The smile continues to hang on her face in happiness. This was her ideal kind of relationship, waking up to her lover preparing the loveliest breakfast just for her. He looks so manly, with the jawline showing so seductively.

"It's okay, i just wanna stay like this for awhile." Her grip around his torso tightened and he gladly let her be.

"Alright, we have breakfast together then. I'll be done soon."

"Ryosuke, are you still experiencing hangover? Is there anything I can help you with?" She remembered then walked beside him, facing him with all concerned eyes.

"I'm okay already. I slept well yesterday..." 

She smiled to him at his response, relieved that she hasnt seen the face of depression from yesterday. While she wobbled her way to the table filled with pipping hot food, she heard him say "thank you Mirai, for staying by my side" 

During their breakfast, Mirai caught Ryosuke looking at her at times, and it seemed he wanted to say something but hasnt got the courage to. She felt she could read his mind so decided to answer him anyway, "Ryosuke, i know what you wanna tell me. It's okay, I understand. About your father... just give him some time, perhaps then he will be able to accept you. Until then, we can work hard to convince him."

"Actually, it's something else, I... (sigh) it's nothing."

Mirai looked at him blankly, not comprehending what he just said but she decides not to pursue further. After breakfast, he walked her to her house and waited for her to prepare for school. She didn't dare take long since he was waiting. She looked at him from behind as he sat on the couch, and felt herself so fortunate to have someone waiting for him. If that's the feeling of happiness, she is becoming addicted to it. She wringed her arms around his, tugging it closely, as they walked to school in tranquility.

*** 

If everything could stay the way it is. Lying against his back while he prepared the hearty breakfast the kitchen, wringing my arms around him as we paced our steps to school, receiving his soft smiles on a difficult day, these memories occassionally cuddle in my mind, keeping me warm in the falling snow. But at the same time, my heart bleeds to see those battered scars and teary eyes filled with unspoken words and a deep-seeded betrayal that draw us apart. Could it have been my wrong to be with you from the beginning; could the ending for either of us not be this way if I had listened to you. I let go off your hands and I have never felt better since. Perhaps we were both strangers in our own making. It needn't have ended this way I thought, but i began to realise it probably was me who have never tried understanding you. 

I looked upon the clear blue skies. How brutally cold the weather is, and more so reminding how I was left stranded in my own pursuit to happiness. Couples on the streets, romancing away in the cold made it seemed like I was the only one left behind. I sought warmth from my trench coat tucked closely to my clothes as I walked down the streets of a country that entraps the most beautiful and painful of my memories. I thought of my first love, and longed for his warm hug which could certainly be more effective than any warm clothings. And in close sight, I saw the modern, white architecture, the symbol of dreams of men and women. The happy faces of the people overwhelm my heart and my soul. And there, I saw a beautiful girl donned in a white gown. And so I knew half of me is convinced of my own death.