Chapter 2

The Stranger

Mirai POV

Still sniffing from the aftermath of the outpour of emotions, I sat on a couch, holding a cup of hot chocolate, my eyes fixated at Daiki, my elder brother who has buried himself in a mass of case files.

"So, how do you enjoy your work as a homicide investigator? Does the stench of death disturb you? What about the gore, does it reside in your brain? What's the most chilling case you have investigated?" I shook my leg and ask while sipping on my drink.

"Wow wait a minute young lady... That's plenty of intrusive questions."

"I can't help it. My brother has a cool job and I hope I know a little more" I cheekily said. That really made him struggle between being frustrated with me and laughing at me.

"For a start, gore and stench is part and parcel of my job and it takes awhile to get used to it. Fortunately, I didn't bother me for long. It is depressing to learn the truth behind each death and that's the most difficult part of my job. The culprits usually are forced to a corner before they decide to commit a murder, either due to unfortunate circumstances or situations, sometimes even discrimination that drive them to do such horrible acts of crime. As an investigator, I cannot sympathise with them. It is emotionally draining for me, and I must admit that I am still not getting the hang of this part of the job."

I can sense the severity in his tone, and knew the conversation is heading in a direction I'm not that keen of. 

"You'll do great. If you haven't yet got a girlfriend, I can lend you my shoulders to cry on or my ears to listen to your grievances" i climbed onto his back, deliberately to make him annoyed. Unexpectedly, i ended up being piggybacked by him and brought to my bedroom. I am touched by how well decorated my room is, with my favourite white colour painted all across the room and my favourite plushies laid on my bed.

"That's so nice of you, niichan... How do you know my preference?" I am still in a state of shock 

"I asked mum. Besides you didn't change  much the last time."

"That's true but still, thank you niichan."

"I'm seriously not used to you being all polite, so let's just continue to bicker and be disrespectful"

"Agreed!" I laughed. As he left my room, I thought to myself that however that girl who he dumped should be so upset that she lost a nice guy. Apparently the break up is over the fact she was especially clingy, whinny, a showoff and spends his money like drinking water. That's terrible ~ I laughed to myself. Collapsing on my new bed, I reflected on the eventful day, those people I met. Ryosuke still stood out prominently. He is a mystery, and I am determined to break through to him. Yes, that's gonna be my goal. 

***

Second day of school seems to be just as good, if not better than the first. The morning has just started. I left house earlier than my brother. He wanted to drive me to work. Well, I really would love to flaunt that part of my life, having a loving brother and all, but he looks really too shagged. I didn't have the heart to see him drag himself out of bed just to bring me to school. Besides, I wanna observe the morning in the neighbourhood. Yesterday was just too hectic and nervous to enjoy a usual morning in Tokyo.

So there i am, taking a slow walk on the streets which look vastly different in the daytime, than the nighttime. Serenity at its best. Birds chirping, grasshopper cricking, the dew from the morning glory, i really enjoyed every bit of it. I crossed the small bridge, stopped in the middle and looked down at the water stream. There is a pair of mandarin ducks swimming down. I closed my eyes and listened to the calming sound of water flowing down the stream. I am loving my residential area more and more. It's quieter and inconvenient but it's a hidden beauty.

I reopened my eyes, and passing right in front of my eyes, across the road is... I should have guessed, we boarded the bus at the same stop anyway.

"YAMADA senpai!" I rushed towards him, breezing through the cars. He seemed out of wits when he saw my recklessness. I probably surprise him too since he seems deep in thoughts before I interrupted.

"Ohayou! It's a surprised seeing you here..." I took his side, and walked with him. Today, he isn't plugged into his earpiece, and that should help facilitate conversations. I hope. 

"...Ohayou..." He answered when he finally turned to look at me but turned back almost immediately. He did sound slightly reluctant to answer.

"You stay around this area right?"

"...yes," he answered coldly after another pause, then stopped and turned to me again abruptly. "Is there anything i can help you today?"

His hostility didn't bother me at all, strangely. Perhaps cause this is the bad guy charm i preferred over the immensely gentle kind of charm.

"Nope. ... But we're heading the same direction, so we can walk together right." I specially crafted it as a statement rather than a question. His annoyance seems to reduce a little and I take it that he's getting used to me.

"I'm not heading to school yet, so please go ahead first," he is the annoying one this time. "Bye" He faced me and gave a subtle smile that seem to hide his ultimate relieve that he could rid me from his side. I should be angry but the smile instead gave me strength though its significance is negligible. Now I can't decide, whether he looks better without smiling or with a smile. That short prelude to his smile is quite the steal, he is gorgeous with his thin pink lips curling. I must see a full-fledged smile from him. That's it, I'm infatuated!

He thought he has shaken me off. Unfortunately, it's really not that easy to get away from my grasp when I have decided on something. I see him enter the book cafe i saw on my way home yesterday. Is he a bookworm? I did see him reading a non-fictional book called "mysteries of a human heart". That seems like a book filled with philosophies that I probably will never understand. Wonder if he is a philosopher as well? I haven't talked to him long enough to know if he is a nerd on the inside, but his exterior is enough to put all these concerns aside.

I dashed into the shop seeing that he didn't come out for at least the next 10mins. "Senpai!"

I regretted calling out at the volume that amplified in the quiet cafe. It is too early to have any seat occupied. The cafe may be out of sync with the neighbourhood but i think i might actually like it. It has this feeling of unconditional acceptance regardless of whoever walks through its door. It welcomes you with homely ambience that can easily comfort anyone who needs. The people running the cafe are perhaps the reason for all these positive energies. There is a 50 year old lady donned in an apron. I assume she is the boss from the way she spoke to Yamada. They clearly knew each other, and he obviously isn't here to patronise. He ACTUALLY WORKS HERE! I see... I laughed silently when I realised where to find him after school.

Then there is this other staff, quietly arranging the books on the shelf. This other person wore a thick pair of glasses (i wonder how serious his myopia is) and he looks slightly shorter than Yamada but much skinner, slightly better than an anorexic. He looks like an avid video gamer who doesn't like interacting with real life people, but he tried to smile to me, so he is a nice person too. 

"He's my staff, Takeshi Saki. He's shy with people but he's a nice guy," the lady crept up to me when I was engrossed. 

"Oh... Hi Saki!" I waved excitedly and he waved back. I felt good, getting to know nice people around. 

"Yamada, why don't you make a cup of coffee for this pretty girl? She is looking for you, ya'know" The lady said to Yamada while ushering me to the table by the counter. He is busy, unloading boxes and boxes of coffeebeans. The boxes seem really heavy from the look of his exploding veins on his biceps.

"I'm busy. Besides, I don't think she's here to drink" 

He is beginning to read my mind, or was I too obvious? Maybe the latter. I blushed. Shall proof him wrong, anyways. "I am. One latte please..."

He looked up and gave me a mild death stare, which I proudly reacted with a smile instead. He didn't respond to my order or pretended not to hear. the nice lady looked at me and gave me a wink. She walked to him and gave him a soft pat on his shoulders while he was carrying the last box. "Yamada, go ahead and make this pretty girl a latte."

He did as instructed. His reluctant face is adorable. Yet once he runs the coffee maker, his professionalism is absolutely charming. I find myself staring or should I say gazing at him with undivided attention. My head rest on my palms and my elbow on the high table. And so I sat there, watching as he prepared the latte with love. (Laughs)

"Excuse me... Excuse me..." 

Even his voice is melodious. Music to my ears. Then I felt a weight on my forehead pushing me back.

"Heh?!" I blinked when I see his index finger pushing my forehead. He has a look of annoyance."

"Wake up from your dreams. And the latte is 1000yen." He opened his palms, waiting for the money. 

"She needn't pay. It's on the house" the lady wrapped her warm arms on my shoulder. 

"Why?!" Ryosuke protested in shock, but he received the no-nonsense glance from the lady. He cleaned up, took his bag, bidded goodbye before motioning towards the exit. From what I see, he didn't storm out because of annoyance. That's just him, I guess.

Before I chase after him, I must say I actually share his reaction too. What for? I should rightfully pay. I refused the goodwill and continued taking out my money.

"No no, i insist. Just do me a favour, girl..." She asked for my name, so I told her.

"Mirai, don't give up being his friend ne. He is a nice person. He's just not good at socialising. Your sincerity will get to him. Ganbatte" she raised her motivating fist.

Relieved, i thought it's something difficult she's gonna ask from me, like stop being a pain to him. I'm honestly surprised she told me to befriend him. I would love to tell her I'm gonna befriend him, by hook or by crook. Not only so, I'll really glue myself to him in hopes he likes me too. I didn't obviously say it, but she seemed to have gathered it from my intense blushing. She giggled then we both said together, "ganbatte!" We laughed. Saki who has been standing at the corner, probably think i am really desperate. I probably am. I haven't actually dated anyone before. I'm shy to admit so I rather not broach into the topic. I returned Saki an awkward smile then dashed off to catch up with Ryosuke.

"Wait wait wait" I ran the fastest I could but my stamina is really awfully bad. When I reach him, I couldn't fill my limbs anymore. He gave me a startled look and I wondered why. When I realised the reason, I became quite embarrassed of my boldness. I have rested my hands on his shoulders while I was panting and I didn't even notice. His eyes swept the surroundings, and I soon noticed there were students staring at us again. I am officially ashamed for forgetting something that could attribute to his hostility towards me.

I drew away my hand that instance. "Sorry. really sorry. I didn't consider the feelings of your girlfriend. Trust me, I only wish to make more friends, since I'm new in this school and in Tokyo as well. You helped me when I was in a mess, so ..." Lie, blatant lie. I kept away the 'love at first sight' reason, in case it scares him away.

He raised his brows and answered with less angst, "I don't know what you are saying cause I don't have a girlfriend. Where did you even get the impression I have..." He continued walking. I trailed behind him, trying to process what he said, then eureka! Oh my gosh, he is single and available! That's the best thing i have heard today. the cafe lady's motivation, it all makes sense now, she is hinting this fact which I didn't understand earlier.

"Great!" I cheered, not realising I have said it out. He looked at me confused and annoyed. I laughed it off, then rejoined him by his side. He seem to accept fate that I am gonna walk to school with him, so he didn't quibble with me anymore. He didn't dismiss my presence with his music player too. We just didn't talk. At first, I thought to walk to school is gonna be tedious, cause the journey is not exactly short. But it turned out to be a rather therapeutic walk, where the route offers scenic views of a park filled with blossoming flowers and hanging leaves, more importantly, it's away from the chatter of students. I really found myself enjoying that silence. That serenity allows you to consolidate the mess in your heart and soul and find the balance in life so that you are able to face more challenges. I saw him closing his eyes several times and i could actually relate to it now. He enjoys such stillness too. Somehow I feel that he is suited more for Kyoto where I came from than the fast-paced hectic Tokyo.

"Can I ask... It's quite unbelievable you are currently single. You are handsome, street-smart, dependable and all, girls should be coming at you. You should receive tons of confession notes."

"..."

"Ooohh, is that why you are shunning from me, because you scared those girls will attack me for getting close to you. That must be it..." I recalled those many pairs of eyes looking at us.

"You're seriously delusional. It's nothing like what you said. Anyway, you don't need a friend like me. I appreciate the thought, but your outgoing character can get you many friends. With or without me in your friend list, won't make a difference."

"Why are you so persistent?"

"I'm not, you're. You will understand with time. Just continue your cheerful character, I'm sure you will get used to the school and the city life...." He turned to me and said "I'll go off first~ Bye". He pat my shoulders before speeding off.

"Wait! I owe you a treat!"

"Forget about it. I accept that thought, and that's sufficient!"

Sigh big time. I clutched my knees, in panting in exhaustion after i gave up chasing after him the second time. He is too fit. With 2 encounters on 2 straight days, i could confirm that he doesn't want to be seen in school with me. I shall not give up unless he gives me a good reason. Being bad at socialising doesn't give him a valid excuse not to have friends. Everybody needs one. And I'm sure he will be a good friend. (Boyfriend too). 

****
School has become alot busier, with classwork piling sky high. I didn't even have the time to sleep, now that the judo assessment for elementary level is closing in and practice has nearly doubled. 

I dragged myself to the toilet to change in the judo suit, when I saw Umika inside already. She is in distress and Sora is there to help her. "Ah ah ah..can you be any lighter?"

"I'm trying... Seriously, why are you so keen on judo? You should have joined the art club instead since you are so good at it. Judo really don't seem to be your thing" Sora said while she rubbed the bruise on her shoulder.

"I think so too... You will get yourself hurt," I added.

"I like Judo so I won't give up. You girls can't talk me out of this. I'm gonna pass this time, I can feel it. Mirai, we can get through this together."

"Yes, we can" I cheered, temporarily forgetting that Sora's intention was to persuade her to change a club. However, she laughed too at our silliness.

"Anyway, Sora, you have a performance tonight?" I asked as soon as I remembered some students passing around this music jamming session at an underground pub.

"Yes. The pub does hardrock bands though so their singers are really those with thick makeups. I can't really appreciate it but the boss there convinced me that I just needed to do my part of the show. The rest, he will handle. It's fetching me good bucks so there's no reason to turn down"

"You are going alone?" I asked.

"Yes. I always go alone. Don't worry, Mirai... It's not my first performance as a solo singer," she wrapped her arms around mine and leaned closer. "Thanks for your concern anyway"

It isn't just Sora I'm worried, it's Umika. She is almost limping when we walked to the club. She kept her hands constantly rubbing her shoulder and it makes me wonder how bad her bruise is. I made sure I keep my eyes on her, until I forgot that it's my turn to be tested.

"Mirai~" Umika tapped me. "It's your turn. Ganbatte! We will pass together "

"Ah... We will!" I quickly stood up. I stumbled on the map before reaching my tester. 

"Oh no!" It's a repeat contender. "Senpai " i am looking at Kento who is smiling at me calmly which can be taken as sinister too. 

"Let me see how much you have improved thus far. Surprise me" he challenged.

It is never just about physique and agility in this match. It is how to overcome my out of focus when he is my opponent. That proximity between us makes me nervous. Why must he be the handsome senpai who seem to have walked out from those shoujo manga?! It would have been a whole lot better if he has a pesky look. I hardened my heart, took a deep breathe and put my mind in the game. Raising my hands in battle mode, we twirled a few rounds like playing hide and seek - a 'customary' opening judo move that don't actually make much sense. Then here comes the offensive launch from him. Weakening my knees with a knee jerk, I knelt on the ground. He smirked. Yes, that's his true colours. No way am i losing so simply. I returned to my feet and took his arms firmly. I pulled him closer and over my back then after taking a fresh breathe, I tried to flip him over. I only hope for the best cause my odds are slim. My eyes closed the moment I exert all my strength. I hear a loud thud. 

"Itaiiii" I heard in my ears. Who? Oh my, did I succeed?! It took bravery to open my eyes, and there lying in front of me is...

"Senpai!" I cupped my mouth in shock and excitement. I basically froze on the spot.

"You're not gonna just stand there and watch me suffer right?" He grumbled. 

"Ah, gomen" I quickly grabbed him hands and pulled him up. I exploded in happiness. "YES, I DID IT IN ONE TRY!!" We high-fived each other and that spirit of joy we shared is beyond what words can explain. Immediately after, we heard slamming sounds which signalled other pairs were in combat. My heart fell when I saw Umika repeatedly got overthrown by another senior who is less fit than Kento, in my opinion. 

"Umika!" I rushed to her aid as soon as the announcer announced the end of the assessment. She failed. I saw the regrets in her eyes, like she would die for another chance to redo it. Most people in her shoes would have given up cause it's not worth getting permanently  injured over a sport, but she is self-driven, motivated to achieve. While I leave the mystery unresolved for now, I tried to help her up. Our eyes met briefly and I thought I felt a heavy feeling transcended then her eyes swept to the back where Kento was. That glance was definitely complicated. Once she is up on her feet, i offered to take her to the school clinic. We excused ourselves and left. 

Neither of us spoke. Mostly because I felt guilty. We cheered on each other to pass today's assessment together, yet I left her lagging behind. I'm really disappointed with myself for not being able to do anything for her. Perhaps so, I am now trying to make up for it, doing all I can to relieve that agony.

"Let me see the bruise on your shoulder" i asked. She sat in a daze and did not respond. Probably in a shock. So i pry open from her collar, slightly, and saw the bruise already bleeding.

"Oh no..." I quickly took an antiseptic wash to clean her wound. The stinging pain as soon as the liquid touches her, made her cringe and groan. However, her reaction was much bigger than that. She scares me when she shouted hysterically.

"I don't want you to pretend in front of me! You passed on your first try, I didn't. You think I'm useless, don't you?!"

"No no, i have never thought like this."

"Don't think you are that amazing. You simply have good seductive skills to lure the seniors until you get control of them."

"What?! How can you say something like this?!"

"It's true, admit it. You kept looking at him~ that's hitting on him, so that you can get some leniency "

"Excuse me~ i did not do that! I can't believe you would say that just cause you didn't pass. You're so childish!"

"Yes I am, so I don't wanna see you! I'll just wait for the nurse to come!"

"Whatever you say, princess!" I am fuming by the time I stepped out of the clinic. I can't understand the ruthless words from her, it's as though what's spoken earlier was in a foreign language. We're friends, aren't we? I thought to myself when I took a glance of her from the outside. She refused to look at me. My anger is exploding as I stormed off. That's the end of friendship, is it?

I was so upset the entire day and had nowhere to air my grievances until my brother goes home at night. I did have the rash urge to call him to complain but knowing him, he will not entertain me when he's working. Especially in view of how important his work is to public safety. Sora popped out of my mind, but telling her is digging my own grave. She and Umika were friends way before me. Complaining to Kento seems effective, telling him he was the source and get him to rectify it, but hmmm, that can easily put Umika into more . Why does it seem I have no one to talk to. I miss my friends back in Kyoto already. How am I supposed to last at least 1 more year till I graduate in this mindset. 

This may sound unbelievable that I had no other intentions. My unhappiness has brought my feet right back into that random book cafe. It's true that I didn't exactly come just to see Ryosuke. It was inherently the warmly atmosphere that me right in. I could actually sought some solace here. Saki took my order, or i think it's him, i was really completely out of mind. Even if it was Ryosuke, I would have missed it entirely. I am too drained out to make any mind processing. I leaned my chin on my table and stare blankly at the empty seat facing me. 

Then Saki brought me the set meal I ordered - a tonkatsu sandwich, a cup of ice lemon tea. Even the aroma of my food did not lift my chin from the table. I continued to just daze, letting time run, and me rotting... People came and go, I don't even know how long I sat there, motionless, as though dead. 

Someone slammed something on my table. The loud clang woke me up from my stone age. I saw a plate of sweetness topped with a rosy red strawberry. I could already smell the sugar rush. 

"I do not want anyone to faint in the shop. So eat it up~" a cold, yet warm voice says in front of me. I recognise the voice. As soon as my eyes met his, he moves away. I grabbed his hand, for the first time. The electrifying sensation came back, only this time, it's much stronger than the one with Kento. It should have petrified me like the last it happened, yet I felt the heat from his hand transfer to my confused mind and soul, soothing and relaxing my tensed nerves.

"Can you just eat with me? I will leave the shop immediately after and leave your sight, I promise." I reached out to him with my puppy dog eyes. He gave in, sitting down in front of me. His eyes fixated on me, with his arms folded. He gave me all his attention, prepared to listen to my problems and unhappiness. That's what I thought i see from his body language and his deep eyes. 

"Frankly, I don't even know what I'm saying now. It's as though I'm drunk but I haven't even drank alcohol in my life. Is that how being drunk feels like? And I'm drunk over a broken friendship? My inability to handle relationships? Drunk by people's hate for me? Is there such thing, senpai?"

He kept his usual silence, but this time he did not maintain it. He spoke, in a mellow voice, "you can be drunk over literally anything. It's exactly how you feel now, like you have been drained out of happiness in your life, and what's left is you stuck in a black hole, unable to find the light that guide you to the exit. You turn left and right, but you still can't find it. You feel nausea, you feel sick, you just want to give up and let the darkness consume you bit by bit."

It's the feeling he described. I'm surprised how he knew exactly what I was saying. I felt connected to him at that instance. In fact, in his tone, I hear his own story, his own encounter. 

"I don't think I belong here... I can't fit in. I don't understand how my friends think, I don't know how to be a good friend to them. I only make them upset and angry. I shouldn't even have a friend. I don't deserve."

"... There are some people in the world that don't deserve any friends... But that person is not you..."

"You really think so?"

He nodded. It is convincing. Then he gave a smile before standing up and walking away from me like his job is done.

"Senpai..." I called him out once more. I waited till he stopped then i said "arigatou..."

"I don't know what happened but it doesn't matter cause I'm not you. You need to know exactly what happened. In everything, there's always a cause and a effect. If unsure, ask the other person, find out the cause, then you know how to rectify it. If it can't be rectified, then at least you won't die in ignorance of the reason."

He said in a deeper voice, much more solemn than earlier. It seemed whatever he said has a underlying meaning that only he knows. He walked back to the counter, and I could tell that he won't be sharing anymore words, whether kind or crude. Nonetheless, he has been my companion for the past 30 minutes and that to me has been most helpful. I never expected him to accede to my request, but he did. Thank you, senpai. 

"If you hadn't notice, I'm doing overtime now. If you are not gonna leave the cafe, I'm gonna have to chase you are so that I can rest." He said while staring at me totally dazing into space.

"Heh?!" I quickly finished the last bite of the cake he offered, and dashed through the exit, flustered. When I calmed down, I turn back to the cafe, peeking my head through the door.

"What is it now?"

"You not going home yet? We can walk together..." I cheekily smiled to him. I'm sure he will not agree, and I was right.

"Can you just give me my alone time... Thanks"

"Hmmm.."

"It's a rhetorical question if you can't sense it. Just go home and sleep okay. Goodnight."

I pouted but I really think his hostile reaction tickled me everytime. Whatever he says sound so adorable. I giggled as I paced alone in the quiet street again. It's too lonely, why does he even like having alone time. Isn't alone time and the quietness, the source of all troublesome thoughts. It only took awhile for what happened in the afternoon to bother me again. If only the reminiscence of the sweet cream of the cake melting in my mouth could stay longer than those bad recollections, I would have felt better. His method of healing does work wonder, albeit temporary.

"Strange... Why is there an extra pair of girl's shoes? It's school shoes..." I asked myself when I returned home. My eyes shifted from the mysterious pair of school shoes to the interior of the house. My mind went wild with imaginations. The most probable one, is that my dear brother is courting a school girl. That's not impossible. What I am more afraid is to be caught in a situation of extreme awkwardness - in the middle of their intimate moment. 

I knocked my own head, blaming myself for putting so much self-induced stress. I ceased all the unnecessary worries then stormed in like a boss.

"SORA?" I almost choked on my own saliva when I saw my friend. So my brother is dating my friend?! My face shows all that I am thinking. Fortunately she reacted the way I hope she would.

"I know what you're thinking, but it's not. Though he is quite a catch, but the purpose I'm here is cause your brother has saved me earlier and will continue to protect me."

"Huh?" I looked at her blankly. Daiki is out of sight for him to clear any of my doubts. I sat beside Sora who was seeping on a cup of peppermint tea. She began recounting the happenings of the last few hours.

"The pub was jam packed with people by about 8 in the evening. I took my guitar and waited for the stage manager's cue. Then I hear some commotion backstage, so I headed there and peaked through this partially opened door. There is a heated argument between a drummer of a heavymetal band and a manager of the pub. The heavy make-up of the band drummer made the entire interaction alot scarier. If you know what I mean, the black and red painted face, thickened brows. "

"I can imagine that... It is scary."

"The pub manager probably felt the same way. He was very much suppressed and threatened during the interaction."

"What exactly are they quarrelling over?"

"It's over a very trivial thing as far as I have heard over the door. There could be more, but in a nutshell, it is about the drummer trying to get a higher return for the band's performance and even wanted the manager to give an advance of the pay before they performed. If not, he would get the band to draw out from the main performance list and spill secrets about him."

"Secrets?"

"That part, I dont know. I guess the manager did something bad enough to be held ransom by him."

"Then what happened?"

She sat closer, making me feel that there is no friendship gap between us, that there is full trust. More importantly, it feels i am actually helpful to her. I gave her my fullest attention.

"It was about time for my stage so I have to leave the eavesdropping as it is. Then just when i was in the midst of singing, the drummer dashed right onto the stage, or i should say into."

"Heh? Into?!"

"He lost control of himself. He was covered with blood. His head was bleeding profusely, and he was stabbed right at the neck too with the knife was still stuck on it."

"Oh my gosh!!"

Sora appeared distraught by now, even if she seemed strong earlier. I naturally pulled her into my embrace and gave hera tight hug, patting her lightly and telling her it's alright.

She smiled to me after she pulled away. "It's good to have you when I need someone to talk to. Honestly, it is quite traumatic just now. I've not seen so much blood in my life. And the drummer has to run right into me. I could still smell the blood on my body. Sorry, i had to wear your clothes"

"Oh, i didnt notice earlier."

"Your brother handed to me"

"I see. So you guys have met... How is it?"

"The police arrived at the scene very quickly. There was only Daiki and his superior..."

My brother came out from the bath. He has a towel over his wet hair. He sat beside me on the sofa and listened in, except i didnt allow his non-contribution to the story-telling.

"So who killed that drummer?" I turned to him and probed. He did not avoid my intense glance, instead he ignored it. 

Confidently he turned down my questioning. "Still under investigation. So it's inappropriate for me to comment..." Then continued drying his hair.

"Niichan," i whined. I almost forgot Sora is still here, until he spoke to her.

"If that manager is really the murderer, then your open accusation of him just now will seriously endanger your life."

"The manager?! He is the murderer?!" I reacted first. However, they treat me as air, speaking across me like I didnt exist.

"You think it's him too?" Sora spoke. I could hear her voice tremble. She may appear brave, the truth is, she is not as she seems.

"He does have the ulterior motive. Adultery is one thing, there are rumours online that he embezzled money"

"And the motive here is?" I was clueless.

"There's a video of the manager's adultery... And photos of his accounts in the drummer's phone. We are investigating the authenticity of these, and if conclusive, then the manager's motive is there"

"To silence him," i could finally understand.

"Just now, the way he glanced at you... You better stay clear for now" he reminded. Sora kept to herself, suppressing her fear.

"Maybe you should call Kento? He should pick you up" i suggested. She immediately frown and I knew i have said the wrong thing. 

"He cannot know about me performing in a pub, especially not that. I definitely dont want him to think i'm only capable of getting into trouble. mirai, i beg you not to tell him. Dont tell Umika too, she will surely divulge it to him"

"...she probably wont even talk to me..." I mumbled. Fortunately, she didnt catch it though she will eventually find out. When the time is ripe, I would tell her.

"Can I stay over? Until that murderer is arrested" she pleaded. No, I really aint keen sharing my room with someone else. I searched my brother's eyes, hoping we get his support through sibling telepathy. But he heartlessly returned that gaze that seem to say - its entirely up to me. It's my friend after all. I pouted at him, then turned back to Sora with a smile. I said "sure! We will be happy to have you."

"Yeay! I can share a room with you, and dont worry, I'll take the floor! Goodnight Daiki!" She excitedly grabbed my hands and pulled me up from the sofa so that we can both spend the girl's time in the room.

"Your brother is really kind and quite charismatic. Though he is not exactly tall, but he has that friendly and likeable look that makes you feel comforted around him" Sora said while she sat on a mattress beside my bed. We were both wearing pink pyjamas, of course she was wearing mine. 

"Hmm, i do think so too. He is not exactly the handsome kind, his look leans towards charismatic." i chuckled. 

"Agree! Does he have a girlfriend?"

"No. He broke up with her. Heard she is hard to please. I didnt exactly probe into that."

"Oh well. Both our brothers are singles... Hmm..." 

I sensed her deep thoughts. "You like him?" I ask. Her blush says it all. Moreover, she avoided my questioning gaze, "Ohhh"

"Your face just tells me you are up to mischief. Dont matchmake us please..."

"Who said I will?" I smirked. "In that case, you must prefer to let nature take its cause." I continued teasing.

She appeared extremely shy, when she refused to answer me, turning to bed immediately with the blanket over her. I giggled. 

Soon, I was in great discomfort and uneasiness, even though we weren't on the same bed. It's not that I am afraid of her, but rather, im afraid of myself. I have bad sleeping habits. Really bad. I toss, I snore, the only thing i dont do is grind my teeth. I feel ashamed. She is in deep sleep already and she is not guilty of any of the shameful acts. I pouted to myself in disgust. I wont be able to sleep with her around and i cant afford it, especially with a long day ahead with the possible cold war still ongoing with Umika. I tiptoed out of the room and intruded into the next.

i crashed onto the single bed. In fact I crashed onto the little empty space beside the occupant who is already asleep on his sides, facing his back.

"What the heck~ mirai~ dont fool around and go back to sleep" he turned to the other side, facing me.

"I cant."

"You invited her anyway. So you should be prepared to show her that unglamorous side of you"

"Thats gonna ruin her impression of me"

"Im sure she's not gonna discriminate you or break the friendship just cause of your sleep habits. Though seriously, it's worst than a guy's"

"Niichan" i slapped his chest and protested. "Im gonna sleep with you tonight regardless what you say. "

He sighed.

"Whatever. I better sleep on the ground, in case you push me overboard in the middle of the night."

"You are really evil and childish~" we were bickering like we were younger. Such interactions do make me reminisce the past, and it gradually break the ice between us that formed from our long separation. If he hadnt move to the ground to sleep, I would have tugged myself close to his body, like I always do when I go to his room on those nights where there strong winds, heavy thunderstorms, or even earthquakes.

"Did something happen in the afternoon~" he suddenly asked.

"Why?"

"You look down"

"You can tell?!"

"Im your brother. There's nothing you can hide from me."

"It's just a hiccup I have with someone in school."

"Is it that Umika girl?"

"Huh, how did you know... You heard me just now when I was speaking to Sora?"

He nodded. I felt uneasy that she may have heard it too, but pretended she did not. 

"I dont think she heard" my brother read my mind and reassured me.

"I think I can handle it for now. Dont worry about me"

"If there's ever anything bothering you, dont keep it from me okay..."

"Alright. I will. There's one question i have though... Today someone told me, there are people in this world who dont deserve friends... Do you think it's true?"

"Hmm... I guess so. That drummer who died is apparently so obnoxious, even his friends and family members didnt care about his death. The manager seems like a loner too"

"They may not have friends, but im sure they will want one. But im just wondering if there are people who rather be alone, friendless till death. They would then scatter their ashes into the sea."

"... I doubt there are such people... Go to bed, Mirai. Goodnight" 

"Goodnight, niichan"