You're My Best Friend

Blue Blossom

Taekwoon was only kept in the hospital for a week, the psychiatrists having come to the conclusion that it wasn't a suicide attempt, rather, it was an accident. Wonshik had visited Taekwoon every single day without fail, and had even fell asleep at the hospital a couple of times since he would stay so late. Even though it had only been a week, it felt so much longer.

Wonshik woke up, excited that it was finally the day Taekwoon was set to be discharged. He made sure to get a shower, and put effort into his outfit in order to try and impress his crush. After styling his fluffy blonde hair, Wonshik rumaged through his drawers of clothes, picking out a black tee and skinny jeans, tucking the tee into his jeans and throwing on a leather jacket to pull the look together. After putting on some jewellery and checking himself out in the mirror, he made his way to the cafe to pick up some drinks and food before heading to the hospital.

As he entered the ward Taekwoon was on, a grin tugged at his lips. He was always so happy to see Taekwoon, especially knowing he would finally come home today. However, despite having spent so much time together the past few days, neither of them had talked about the kiss they had shared the night Wonshik saved Taekwoon's life. Regardless, it was the only thing Wonshik could think about.

So many questions ran through his mind. Why did he kiss me? Does he feel the same way I do? Why won't he talk about it? Did it even happen? Whenever Wonshik doubted it happened, he closed his eyes and could remember it with more clarity than he knew he was capable of. He was certain it had happened, but he was still clueless as to why. He wanted to know, but didn't know how to bring it up.

He walked over to Taekwoon's hospital bed, and greeted him with a dopey grin. "Hey, Taekwoonie~ How are you feeling today?" 

"Good, thank you," Taekwoon smiled, taking the vanilla latte Wonshik was passing him. He was touched that Wonshik had remembered what his favourite coffee was. He bit his lip as Wonshik took a seat next to his bed, taking a sip of his coffee and sighing happily. "How about you? Y-you look... you look really nice, by the way," he replied, blushing as he turned to face his crush.

"A-ah, thank you. Yeah, I'm good too," Wonshik grinned, blushing deeply thanks to the compliment. He was pretty pleased that his efforts had been noticed. Wonshik found the way Taekwoon sighed so happily to be adorable. "Glad to have you home, finally," he mumbled, a little embarrassed. He placed his own coffee - an Americano - down on the bedside table as he rumaged around in his bag for the sandwiches he had purchased at the cafe for them to eat together.

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

After a lengthy conversation with one of the doctors, and being handed a bag of medication, Taekwoon was finally free to go home. The moment they left the hospital, he and Wonshik threw their arms around one another, dropping the bag on the floor but not caring at all. Both of them longed for this hug, longed for the moment Taekwoon would be going home, and now that the moment was here, they were both overwhelmed with happiness. It wasn't a long hug, but it was one that got both of their hearts racing. 

It was slowly getting on to the evening when Taekwoon was finally discharged, and although it was a fairly lengthy walk from the hospital to their appartment block, the two didn't mind. They wanted to walk together, and enjoyed the brief moments their hands brushed against one anothers as they walked side by side, happily chatting away about what to do when they arrived home. They decided that since it was late, they were going to order food rather than cook. Also, they agreed to watch one of the many DVD's Wonshik had borrowed from Sanghyuk.

As they came closer to their apparment block, Taekwoon finally built up the courage to hold Wonshik's hand. Shyly, he reached out to the younger boy's hand, taking it into his own and interlocking their fingers. Wonshik's eyes shot open, surprised by Taekwoon's spontaneous show of affection. He blushed and smirked as he watched Taekwoon smile to himself, biting down on his lip and staring at the floor as he squeezed Wonshik's hand. 

Holding hands and walking together felt amazing.

Once the boys arrived home, Wonshik went to his room to look through the pile of Sanghyuk's DVD's as Taekwoon put his medication away in his room and ordered them some pizza. He was grateful that they had decided to order food, because he lacked the energy to cook. Although he was slowly beginning to feel better, he was still regularly exhausted. His body was adjusting to his medications, but despite everything, he didn't feel worried anymore. He didn't feel panicked. He felt he could face anything, thanks to Wonshik being by his side.

However, he missed Hakyeon. A lot. He was pretty upset about the fact he hadn't visited him at all whilst he was in the hospital, but a part of him thought he understood why. After his suicide attempt six years ago, and their subsequent lack of contact, Taekwoon had concluded Hakyeon simply couldn't deal with his illness - that he resented him. He knew that Hakyeon didn't hate him, but a part of him couldn't shake the feeling. After all, he had no idea Hakyeon was avoiding him due to unfounded guilt. He thought that his best friend hated him for putting him through so much.

After ordering their pizza, he sent Hakyeon a text.

To: Yeonie

Hakyeon, I hope you're doing okay

I got discharged from the hospital today

I'm okay

I miss you a lot

Can we hang out soon?

Love you

"Everything okay?" Wonshik asked, noticing Taekwoon frowning at his phone. After looking through all the DVD's, he'd settled on a movie called Train to Busan. He remembered Sanghyuk insisted it was an amazing movie.

"Hm? Oh, y-yeah, I'm fine," Taekwoon looked up at Wonshik with a weak smile. "Have you seen Hakyeon since... you know, that night?"

"Actually... I haven't," he frowned, joining Taekwoon on the couch. "He was acting pretty weird, to be honest. He stayed over that night to keep me company, and left me some messy note. I've tried texting him but he never responds," Wonshik sighed, taking the DVD out of it's box and getting up to put it into the TV. Taekwoon frowned, hoping that his text wouldn't be ignored. As Wonshik stood up, Taekwoon bit his lip, an idea crossing his mind.

"W-Wonshik..."

"Yeah?"

"I was... I-I was thinking," he mumbled, blushing as he looked down at his lap. "Y-you have a laptop, right...?"

"...Yeah, why?" he asked, eyebrows raised in curiosity.

"Well... I was thinking... m-maybe, when our food gets here... w-we..." biting his lip, and fiddling with the sleeves of his jumper, he looked up at Wonshik innocently. Wonshik could have swore his heart stopped for a moment. "...We could maybe watch it in my room...?"

"W-what?" he gulped, the thought of sharing a bed with Taekwoon driving him crazy. His cheeks became flushed as he took a deep breath, sitting back down next to Taekwoon on the couch. "I-I mean... t-that sounds... uhm, that sounds like a uhm... a good idea," he stuttered, coughing to clear his throat. He bit his lip, closing his eyes as he tried to push his dirty thoughts to the back of his mind.

"G-good," Taekwoon smiled softly. "H-how about you go get your laptop and put some pyjamas on?"

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

"Taekwoon, our food's here~"

"Okay, come in."

As Wonshik entered Taekwoon's bedroom, his eyes widened as he noticed his crush was wearing a vest, his toned arms on show, and pyjama bottoms. , he's so y, Wonshik bit his lip, trying his best to ignore his lust. 

He walked over to Taekwoon, handing him the pizza box before walking over to the door to switch off the lights. He was blissfully unaware that Taekwoon was watching his as he walked. Once the light was off, Wonshik climbed into bed with Taekwoon and pressed play on the DVD, picking up a slice of pizza to focus on in order to distract himself from Taekwoon's arns. 

Taekwoon was a little surprised by how jumpy Wonshik was. He was far easier to scare than he'd expected, but Taekwoon wasn't complaining. Not only was it adorable, it meant Wonshik kept clinging on to him and cuddling up next to him. Taekwoon loved the way Wonshik became so emotionally invested in the characters - it was endearing. The fact that he was crying by the end of the movie was just so sweet.

After a lengthy discussion about their thoughts on the movie, Wonshik got up to head to bed, only to have his wrist grabbed by Taekwoon.

"Wonshikkie, you... you can sleep in my bed, if you'd like..." Taekwoon offered, a shy smile painted on his plush lips. Not trusting his words, Wonshik simply climbed back into Taekwoon's bed, getting comfortable under the duvet. The boys wished each other good night, and made sure they were facing away from one another as they tried to sleep.

Neither of them were able to sleep though, a strong tension in the air. Eventually, Taekwoon rolled over to face Wonshik's back, tapping him on the shoulder gently.

"Wonshikkie, are you asleep?" Taekwoon whispered, not wanting to disturb him if he was. Wonshik rolled over to face Taekwoon, his heart racing once he realised their noses were mere centimetres apart. "Do you.... d-do you maybe wanna cuddle...?"

Wonshik gulped, incapable of forming words. He nodded, offering his arms out to his crush. Taekwoon shuffled closer to Wonshik, allowing him to wrap his arms around his waist as Taekwoon wrapped his arms around Wonshik's shoulders. Resisting the urge to kiss his crush once more, Taekwoon rest his head on Wonshik's chest, using it as a pillow. Listening to Wonshik's heart beat made Taekwoon feel so safe, so comfortable. Noticing his hyung had fallen asleep peacefully, Wonshik rest his head on top of Taekwoon's, closing his eyes with a bright smile on his face.

For the first time ever, Wonshik slept well.

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

" -"

Taekwoon woke up to the smell of burning coming from the kitchen and loud swearing. He yawned, sitting up and stretching sleepily before emerging from his bedroom to investigate the source of the burning. He couldn't help but laugh when he found Wonshik frantically fanning a frying pan with a kitchen towel.

"Wonshik~" Taekwoon giggled, walking over to the kitchen and leaning against the counter casually. "What did you do~?"

", I'm sorry, Taekwoon," Wonshik frowned, frustrated with himself. He turned off the heat, throwing the kitchen towel down on the counter. He sighed. "I was trying to make pancakes, but... I burnt them..."

"It's okay, silly," Taekwoon smiled warmly, placing a comforting hand on Wonshik's shoulder. "It's the thought that counts, right?"

Wonshik looked up at his sweet crush with a smile on his face. He's so nice to me, he thought. After the previous night spent cuddling, Wonshik simply couldn't avoid the subject anymore. Unsure of how to broach the subject, he decided to be blunt.

"Taekwoon, why did you kiss me?"

Nervous about answering, Taekwoon bit his lip, a little surprised by Wonshik's blunt approach. He looked down at his feet, nervously scratching his collar bone as he took a deep breath, trying his best to compose himself.

"Wonshikkie, I..." he stuttered, looking up at Wonshik with half lidded eyes. The moment had finally came. The moment where he would finally confess to his beloved crush. "...I... Wonshikkie, I like you. I... I kissed you because... I like you. I... I like you a lot."

Shocked, Wonshik's jaw dropped. He almost couldn't believe what had just happened. Taekwoon liked him back. 

Taekwoon likes me back!

"T-Taekwoonie, I like you too!" he blurted out, pulling Taekwoon into a hug. Overwhelmed with happiness, Wonshik began to cry as he cuddled his hyung close. He'd always hoped he would hear those words, but he'd never expected them. Hearing them felt... magical. "I like you so much..." he whispered, choking up.

Taekwoon's heart felt like it was going to stop. He didn't think it was possible for someone like Wonshik to like someone like him. 

Biting his lip and closing his eyes tight to try and fight back his tears, Taekwoon held Wonshik close. 

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

After finally confessing their feelings to each other, they planned on having their first real date later that day. Wonshik had gone out to hang out with Sanghyuk for a while, so Taekwoon decided to go out and get Wonshik a little surprise for their date. The two had decided to go to the funfair being held near the park to celebrate the end of Summer.

Taekwoon smiled as he walked to the florist, excited to finally go on a real date with Wonshik. Although he wasn't particularly into the idea of a funfair, finding their busy atmosphere to be somewhat overwhelming, he knew he would enjoy himself. So long as he was with Wonshik, he could enjoy anything.

As he entered the florist, he smiled. It was so delicate and peaceful, and there weren't many customers. Taekwoon hadn't visited Hakyeon at work before, and as a result, he wasn't aware that this was the florist he worked at. Clueless, he walked up to the counter.

"Uhm, excuse me," he mumbled quietly, surprised when the blonde man he was trying to get the attention of turned out to be Hakyeon. "Yeonie?"

Hakyeon stared at Taekwoon blankly, unsure of how to act. He took a deep breath, trying to remain composed and professional. "Hello, how can I help you?"

"Yeonie, why have you been ignoring me?" Taekwoon frowned. "You haven't responded to any of my texts-"

"How can I help you?" Hakyeon repeated with a harsh tone that hurt Taekwoon. He hated upsetting his best friend, but since the day he was hospitalised, Hakyeon had been spiralling out of control. He was a mess. "You want some flowers, right?"

"I... Yeah, I guess," he half-heartedly shrugged, reaching a hand over the counter to try and place it on Hakyeon's shoulder. Much to his dismay, Hakyeon dodged him, walking over to some of the display bouquets. 

"What are you looking for today? Do any of these appeal to you?"

"You dyed your hair, Yeonie - it looks nice," Taekwoon smiled weakly, trying desperately to get through to his best friend. His efforts fell on deaf ears.

"Is it for a date? If so, I would recommend roses-"

"Hakyeon, please-"

"I'll put together some red roses for you," Hakyeon forced a smile, trying his best to ignore Taekwoon's pleas, regardless of how much it hurt them both. He felt so responsible, so guilty for everything that happened, that he felt the best thing he could do for his best friend was to distance himself from him. He moved over to the display of roses, picking out a selection of the prettiest red roses and putting them together in a delicate bouquet.

"Yeonie... please..." Taekwoon begged, reaching a hand out to Hakyeon and grabbing on to his work apron. 

"Woonie, just stop it!"

The store turned silent as all eyes turned to face Hakyeon. It was usually such a peaceful little florist - no one had expected one of the employees to yell at a customer. Hakyeon was the last person Taekwoon expected to shout at him, and now that he had, he didn't know how to react. He stood there, a pained expression on his face. He was hurt.

"...Just take your flowers," Hakyeon mumbled, placing the bouquet down on the counter before running to the back room of the store to cry by himself. Unsure of what to do, and uncomfortable with the amount of attention on him, Taekwoon placed whatever money he had in his pocket on the counter and took the roses, leaving the store quietly but swiftly.

He didn't know what was wrong with Hakyeon, but he knew he wanted to help.

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

Still shaken up by his uncomfortable encounter with his best friend, Taekwoon was struggling to get in the mood for his date with Wonshik. He had a shower to try and freshen up, wrapping the towel around his waist before heading to his bedroom. As he sat on his bed, he stared at his phone.

To: Yeonie

I'm sorry about earlier

Can we talk? Please

Are you okay?

I hate this

Sighing, Taekwoon pressed send. 

Standing up, he walked over to his set of drawers, searching through them for some nice clothes to impress Wonshik. He still couldn't believe that someone as perfect as Wonshik would like him back. Especially when Taekwoon looked in the mirror, and saw all of the scars covering his porcelain skin. He hated his body, and worried that it would turn Wonshik off. 

Then, he remembered their awkward shower encounter at the beginning of the Summer, where Wonshik had clearly gotten by watching Taekwoon's silhouette. He bit his lip, wondering to himself what Wonshik would look like without a shirt on. He imagined, based on his built arms, that Wonshik was hiding a y body underneath his clothes - one that was toned, and covered in tattoos.

Fanning himself to try and prevent himself from becoming too flustered, Taekwoon tried to think about something else as he continued searching for the perfect outfit. Then, he remembered the way that he and Wonshik spent most of their time at the zoo together. Was that supposed to be a date? Taekwoon smiled at the thought, finding the fact that Wonshik was too shy to ask him out to be adorable. He didn't understand - with his low self confidence - why someone as attractive and kind as Wonshik would be nervous around someone like him.

After spending half an hour trying on various outfits, Taekwoon settled on a white vest, black cardigan, and his staple ripped skinny jeans. After accessorising with pretty earrings and jewellery, he was ready for his date with Wonshik. He wasn't going to allow his upsetting encounter with Hakyeon ruin his time with Wonshik. 

He relaxed on the couch, watching whatever was on the TV as he waited for Wonshik to return home. The moment he heard his key in the door, he jumped up, hiding the bouquet of roses behind his back as he rushed over to the door to greet Wonshik.

"Wonshikkie~"

"Taekwoon," Wonshik smiled, happy to be greeted so warmly by his crush. He gave his hyung a quick hug before stepping back and raising his eyebrow, curious about what Taekwoon was hiding behind his back. "...What have you got there...?" he smirked.

"A present... for you," Taekwoon smiled shyly, biting his lip as he presented the roses to Wonshik. He grinned as Wonshik's face lit up, a smile so bright that it made his heart skip a beat. He's so handsome, Taekwoon thought as Wonshik took the roses off him and admired them. "...I hope you like them," he smirked, looking down at his feet out of embarrassment.

"Like them? I love them," Wonshik grinned, touched by Taekwoon's thoughtful gift. "They're beautiful, Taekwoon. ...Beautiful like you," he smirked, noticing his crush's chubby cheeks blush at the compliment. Since they didn't own a vase, Wonshik improvised by placing the bouquet in a tall glass of water. Once he'd taken a photo of his lovely gift, he turned to Taekwoon with a smile. "Should we go?"

"Y-yes~"

The boys walked, holding hands, to the funfair. Although they were quiet as they walked there, neither of them minded. Unlike with other people, silence between them felt comfortable. They just enjoyed being around each other, regardless of what they were doing. 

Once they arrived at the funfair, their immediate thought was to get food. After scanning various stalls, they decided on getting cotton candy - Wonshik getting pink vanilla flavour, and Taekwoon getting blue raspberry flavour. Although he was shy in front of the camera, Taekwoon was quite happy with Wonshik taking photos of their date together, even trying his best to smile for the camera. He was still smiling about how eager Wonshik was to take of photo of the flowers he'd brought for him - he just found it so adorable.

After playing around on some of their rides together, they found themselves stuck at a claw machine. Wonshik was fixated on it, wasting a fair amount of coins on it - but he was determined. He wasn't going to leave the machine until he won something for Taekwoon.

A little tired, Taekwoon found a nearby bench to sit at as he waited for Wonshik to join him. It was getting pretty late, and pretty cold. Sensitive to the weather, he buttoned up his cardigan and wrapped his arms around himself, rubbing his arms to try and warm up. Luckily, he wasn't waiting long - he soon saw Wonshik walking over to him with a big dopey grin on his face, hiding something behind his back.

"You won something?" Taekwoon smiled, finding Wonshik's expression both amusing and adorable.

"For you, Taekwoonie~" Wonshik grinned proudly as he presented Taekwoon a big, adorable, black cat plushie. He smirked as he admired Taekwoon's excited expression as he took the plushie and gave it a big hug. It was worth every single coin to see Taekwoon smile like that. "You like it?"

"I love it," Taekwoon smiled, burying his face in the plushie's soft fur. "It's so cute... t-thank you, Wonshikkie."

"It's okay," he smiled. Wonshik noticed Taekwoon was shivvering, and without a second thought, he removed his hoodie and placed it over his crush's broad shoulders. "Wanna go home, baby? It's getting late."

H-he called me baby, Taekwoon sighed happily. Hearing such a sweet pet name being used on him from Wonshik made him swoon. Too shy to respond, he simply nodded, standing up and offering a hand out for Wonshik to hold. Neither boy had ever felt so happy before.

Once they arrived home, the two got changed and headed to bed - Wonshik, once again, sleeping in Taekwoon's bed. This time around, they had company, as Taekwoon simply couldn't stop cuddling with his adorable gift from Wonshik. It was much more than just a cute plushie to him - it was a reminder of their first real date, of the day they confessed to each other.

It meant the world to Taekwoon.

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

Another couple of weeks passed, with Taekwoon and Wonshik going on dates, and Hakyeon ignoring texts and phone calls from both of them. Although Taekwoon was happy with how things were going with Wonshik, he felt a little empty without his best friend. He missed him painful amounts, and didn't know what he could do to get through to him. Surprisingly, he recieved a lifeline from the last person he would have expected.

From: Jaewhan

hey Taekwoon^^ It's me~ Jaewhan~

Remember me? ur old roommate?

Sorry ^^ I knowthis is a lil random~

*know this

anyways, are u free tonight? I need to talk to u

It's about Hakyeon

Taekwoon stared at his phone blankly, not sure how to respond. He hadn't heard from Jaewhan since he moved out months ago, and since they didn't get along very well when they were living together, he didn't expect to ever hear from him again. Regardless, if it was something that would help him get through to Hakyeon, he was willing to do anything.

To: Jaewhan

Hello Jaewhan, I'm free

Where would you like to meet?

After a brief phone call, the two agreed to meet up that night at the bar Jaewhan recently began working at as a singer. Since Summer had come to an end, Wonshik was back at university. Once he was on a break, Taekwoon called him.

"Wonshikkie?"

"Hey baby," Wonshik answered with a smile, knowing very well that that pet name in particular made Taekwoon weak. "How are you?"

"I'm fine. how are your classes going?" Taekwoon asked, lying down on the couch lazily with a small smile tugging at his lips. Just hearing Wonshik's voice made him happy.

"Boring. I miss you."

"I miss you too," he smiled, biting his lip. "Hey, Wonshikkie? I've gotta go out tonight, so I'll make dinner before I leave."

"Where are you going?"

"I got this weird text from Jaewhan, my old roommate," he replied, fiddling with the sleeve of his jumper. "He said he wanted to meet up and talk about Yeonie."

"Oh, that... seems a bit random. But maybe it'll be good, right? Maybe he'll be able to get Hakyeon to talk to us again."

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking," he sighed, sitting up. "I'm just... A little nervous, I guess. I mean. I never really got along with Jaewhan, and..."

"...You're scared of what he might have to say?"

"...Y-yeah." he half smiled, appreciating the fact Wonshik knew him so well that he could tell what was on his mind. "I mean... W-what if Yeonie hates me? If he doesn't want to be friends anymore? I..."

"I don't think that's the case," Wonshik replied in a comforting tone. "He's being off with me, too. Something else must be wrong. I don't think it's your fault, baby."

"T-thank you, Wonshikkie," Taekwoon couldn't help but smile. "You always know what to say to make me feel better..."

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

Please listen to my heart just once

Everyday, every night, I am missing you~

Even if you are not by my side

Even if I can't see you now

In my heart, you are always the same~

 

Taekwoon was surprised when he entered the bar and heard a beautiful live rendition of Fly to the Sky's Missing You. Following the singing, he found himself amongst a small crowd gathered by the small stage in the corner of the bar, with Jaewhan passionately performing the ballad. To say he was shocked by Jaewhan's talent would be an understatement - he'd heard that Jaewhan liked singing, but he'd never actually heard him peform before. His voice was incredible.

Spotting Taekwoon in the crowd, Jaewhan finished his set after he was finished singing Missing You. "Hey Taekwoon, thanks for meeting with me," Jaewhan smiled as he walked off stage, reaching a hand out to Taekwoon to shake it.

"Y-you sounded amazing," Taekwoon smiled shyly, shaking Jaewhan's hand. "Uhm, c-can I get you a drink?"

"Thank you~!" Jaewhan grinned cheesily, surprised but touched to hear a compliment from Taekwoon. "Yeah, podoju for me, please. I'll get us some seats somewhere quiet. You prefer quiet, right?"

"Y-yeah, thank you. I'll go get our drinks, then," Taekwoon smirked, heading to the bar counter to order their drinks. He was really surprised by Jaewhan's behaviour - he hadn't expected him to remember his preference for quiet, or for him to be acting so calm. He was so used to Jaewhan being loud, overenthusiastic, even obnoxious at times. It was the only reason they didn't get along so well in the past - Taekwoon was so quiet and reserved, the total opposite of Jaewhan. It seemed as though Jaewhan had mellowed a lot since they last saw each other, which Taekwoon was grateful for. 

After fetching a bottle of podoju for Jaewhan, and a bottle of sake for himself, Taekwoon joined Jaewhan at the secluded table he'd picked out in the furthest corner of the bar. It was definitely the most quiet place, as it appeared to be a relatively busy night. 

"Here you go," Taekwoon mumbled, handing Jaewhan a glass and his bottle of alcohol before sitting down.

"Thanks~" Jaewhan sang. "I never used to be a huge fan of this stuff, but my boyfriend loves it. I think it's because of the grapes," he smiled, pouring some of his podoju into the glass and taking a sip, letting out a satisfied sigh afterwards. Taekwoon came to the conclusion that Jaewhan wasn't so bad after all. Whoever his boyfriend was, Taekwoon liked him - he seemed to be the reason Jaewhan had matured and mellowed. "How you doing, anyways?"

"Oh, I'm pretty good," Taekwoon smiled shyly, biting his lip as he poured himself a glass of sake. "How about you? It seems like you're doing well."

"Yeah, actually. Pretty great~" he grinned, taking another sip of his drink. "Awesome boyfriend, awesome job, surprisingly didn't fail my exams," he laughed. "Nothing to complain about."

"That's good. I'm glad to hear," Taekwoon smiled sincerely, taking a sip of his sake as he crossed his legs. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Oh, right. That's not so great news," Jaewhan frowned, itching his neck nervously. "...Have you spoke to Hakyeon at all lately?"

"No. He's been ignoring me, and... well, he snapped at me when I saw him..."

"You too, huh?" he sighed, placing his glass down on the table. "...Well, to tell you the truth... I don't really know what's going on with him, but I'm worried about him," he looked down at his hands as his spoke. "We didn't exactly part on great terms."

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, I guess... yeah, it makes sense he wouldn't tell you," he mumbled under his breath, looking up at Taekwoon as he went on to explain. "Hakyeon and I were... well, we were kind of friends with benefits. I moved out cus the other guy I was seeing asked me to be his boyfriend, and... well, I have feelings for him, so I said yes. Hakyeon's a great friend, but... it was just , you know?" he sighed. "But... the day I moved out, he was acting really weird. Not very Hakyeon at all."

"Weird?" Taekwoon furrowed his brow, concerned for his best friend.

"Yeah, well... I won't go into all the details, but the main thing was he was really drunk. Like, reaaaaaaaaally drunk," he frowned, remembering the awkward events of that day. Out of respect for Hakyeon, he decided to leave out the detail that he'd had a with Hakyeon and his now boyfriend, Hongbin. "Anyways, the main reason I wanted to see you was to give you this," Jaewhan announced, reaching into his pocket and pulling out his old key to Hakyeon's apartment. "I think... if anyone's going to get through to him, it's you. You two are close, right?"

"Right," Taekwoon responded, taking the key from Jaewhan and slipping it into his coat pocket. "Thank you, Jaewhan. I should get going then-" he smiled weakly as he stood up, only to have his wrist grabbed by Jaewhan. Taekwoon flinched, turning to face the younger boy.

"S-sorry," Jaewhan mumbled, releasing Taekwoon's wrist. "I... I just wanted to say something, before you go."

"O-okay," Taekwoon sat back down, a little concerned by Jaewhan's serious expression. "...Are you okay?"

"I... I just wanted to say sorry. I know I wasn't easy to live with," Jaewhan mumbled, nervously itching his arm as he took another sip of his drink. "Hakyeon told me... about your illness. ...I... I had a brother that was like you. He had the same illness as you, and... Yeah," he sighed, looking down at his lap. He'd never talked about his mentally ill brother with anyone but Hongbin before, but he felt compelled to share it with Taekwoon, as a way of reaching out and showing he understood his feelings. "I know that you need quiet and... Yeah. Sorry I was a bit of an ."

"N-not at all," Taekwoon smiled warmly, putting a hand on Jaewhan's shoulder to comfort him and show his appreciation. He realised that Jaewhan was trying to reach out to him, and he was grateful. Noticing that Jaewhan referred to his older sibling in the past tense, and the sadness in Jaewhan's voice, Taekwoon put the pieces together and realised that Jaewhan's brother had passed. It made Taekwoon appreciate the fact Jaewhan was willing to share such delicate information with him even more. "Thank you, Jaewhan. I... I really appreciate it," he smiled, squeezing his friend's shoulder.

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

"Yeonie, let me in," Taekwoon pleaded, knocking on the door to his best friend's apartment as quietly as possible. Concious of how late it was, he didn't want to wake anyone up. 

"Go away."

"Fine," Taekwoon sighed, frustrated. He fumbled around in his coat pocket for the key Jaewhan had given him earlier in the night before letting himself in. The first thing he noticed as he entered the apartment was just how messy it was. Empty cans and bottles of alcohol scattered around the place, take away food boxes piled up on the coffee table, and clothes laying about practically everywhere. This isn't Yeonie, Taekwoon frowned as he locked the door behind himself. He's usually so tidy. "Yeonie?"

"Didn't I tell you to go away?" Hakyeon stumbled from the kitchen with a beer can in his hand, his newly bleached blonde hair scruffy and his clothes stained and unwashed. He didn't even look like himself. Caught off guard by the fact Taekwoon had let himself him, he leaned against the kitchen counter, trying to steady himself. Hakyeon reeked of alcohol. "How did you get in?"

"Jaewhan gave me his key..." Taekwoon explained quietly, frowning as Hakyeon rolled his eyes and walked over to the couch, sinking down in his seat and breaking the tab on his can. "...Hakyeon, what happened? What's wrong?" he pleaded for an answer as he sat down next to his best friend, placing a hand on his shoulder to comfort him only to have it swatted away. "...Was it me? Was it... was it because you thought..."

"I told you to go away. Leave me alone," Hakyeon mumbled under his breath, taking a long drink from his can of alcohol. 

Unsure of how, but desperate to get through to his best friend, Taekwoon fumbled around in the pockets of his jeans. Focused on finding what he was looking for, Taekwoon was unaware he had caught Hakyeon's interest. Curious of what Taekwoon was looking for, Hakyeon dropped the facade and placed his beer can down on the coffee table as he watched his friend with a sad smile.

"A-ah, there it is," Taekwoon mumbled quietly to himself, pulling something out of his pocket and taking Hakyeon's hand. "Close your eyes."

"Taekwoon, I-"

"Please?"

Unable to say no to his Woonie, Hakyeon obeyed, closing his eyes and keeping them shut as Taekwoon opened his hand out and place something in it. Hakyeon's heart almost stopped as he recognised the shape of the object in his hand. As he opened his eyes, his heart raced.

It was Taekwoon's matching friendship bracelet. 

"W-Woonie, you... you still have it...?" Hakyeon couldn't control himself, sobbing as he held the bracelet tight, throwing his arms around his best friend and pulling him into a hug. 

"Of course I do, silly," Taekwoon smiled, happily hugging his best friend back. He sighed, relieved to have finally gotten through to Hakyeon. Closing his eyes, he tried to fight back his own tears.

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

"Here you go," Taekwoon smiled softly, handing Hakyeon a cup of hot chocolate and a plate of toast. "I put cream on your hot chocolate, just like you like it."

"Thank you, Woonie," Hakyeon smiled brightly, touched by his best friend's kindness. He took a sip of his hot chocolate, grinning to himself as he placed it down on the table. "It's lovely~" he sang, picking up a piece of toast and taking a bite. He was grateful that Taekwoon had made him something to eat, because he'd been living mostly off cheap take out food. Although it was only toast - because bread was practically the only thing in the kitchen - it tasted great in comparison. "...I'm sorry. About everything."

"Talk to me, Yeonie," Taekwoon begged as he sat down next to his best friend, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "What's been happening?"

"...It... it... It''s all my fault!"

Surprised by Hakyeon's sudden outburst and uncontrollable sobbing, Taekwoon wasn't sure what to do. All he could think of was to pull him into a hug, petting his hair to try and help calm him down. After a few minutes sobbing into Taekwoon's chest, Hakyeon managed to compose himself, wiping his tears on the sleeve of his dirty jumper. 

"It... Everything's my fault," he choked, looking down at his feet guiltily. "I should have been there. Maybe it wouldn't have happened if-"

"Hakyeon, it's not your fault I made such a dumb mistake," Taekwoon interupted. "You didn't know I was getting ill again."

"But... Woonie, I did know," he frowned, unable to look up at his friend as he spoke, too consumed by guilt. "...Wonshikkie called me and told me about it, but... I hung up on him..." 

"...Why did you do that?" Taekwoon was a little taken aback by this revelation.

"...Because you don't need me. I only make things worse," he mumbled, glancing up at Taekwoon and sighing before looking back down at his feet. "...You get sick because of me, Woonie. I don't want to hurt you, I... I only want what's best for you. To protect you. ...You... when we were fifteen..." his voice trembled. "...You... W-when I found you, I... I knew that... it was... i-it was my fault," Hakyeon couldn't fight back his tears any longer, letting them flow as he tried to explain. "...Y-you did it because of me, right? Because... because I selfishly confessed and-"

"Yeonie, no. Of course not," Taekwoon frowned, pulling him into a hug. As he listened to his friend sob into his chest, it finally clicked in his mind. 

Hakyeon doesn't hate me. He never did. He blamed himself for what happened. He... he thought it was his fault. He felt guilty, it... poor Yeonie, it must have been eating him up all of these years. Wait... t-that's why we lost contact! He wanted to protect me, but...

"It wasn't because of you," Taekwoon sighed, petting his best friend's messy bleach blonde hair. "It was... it was because of my parents. My biological parents."

"W-what...?" Hakyeon stuttered, pulling away from the hug to look up at his friend confused. "Your parents?"

"...I should have told you before," he frowned, fiddling with the sleeves of his jumper as he bit down on his lip nervously. "I'm so sorry, Yeonie. You've been blaming yourself all these years because of me..."

"...Y-you mean... you didn't... you know... because of me?"

"Of course not, Yeonie," he glanced over at his friend, offering him a weak smile. "In fact, you were one of the only things that made me want to live. No, it was... it was because of them. I've never really told you about them, right?" he looked up once again, noticing Hakyeon shake his head to indicate 'no'. "Well... I didn't remember them, you see. I've never remembered them, not clearly. Just the things they would say to me. But... Yeonie, I remember them now. I remembered them the day I accidentally took that overdose. It... it wasn't on purpose. It's because I was exhausted. I..."

"Take you time, Woonie," Hakyeon offered a weak smile, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder to comfort him. He could see that Taekwoon was struggling, and didn't want to force him to do anything.

"Thank you. It... Well, you know they were abusive to me, right?"

"Right. Your dad mentioned it a few time's in passing."

"It would be dad that did it," he chuckled, sighing afterwards. He bit down on his lip harder than usual, cracking the skin and almost drawing blood. He felt anxiety build up in the bit of his stomach, but he fought it, taking a deep breath before explaining his unfortunate upbringing. "...My mom was neglectful. Verbally and... emotionally... abusive, I guess. She burnt me semi-regularly, slapped me sometimes, but mostly... it was her words. She... she'd always tell me how much she hated me, and how useless I am-"

"Woonie, that's terrible."

"Yeah, I know," he sighed. "I think... she's the reason I don't have any confidence, you know? The reason I'm so quiet, and anxious. ...My dad, well..." he scoffed. "...He was the physically abusive one. Punches, kicks, whatever, really. Broken bones. I think he drew a knife on me a couple of times, but that's not very clear yet," he frowned, sitting back and he pulled at the sleeves of his jumper out of frustration. "He almost killed me. Around late Summer. The same time I always get sick, right? It wasn't just when we were fifteen. I always became at least a little more ill than usual around that time of year. You remember, right?"

"Y-yeah, I do..." Hakyeon's voice was weak, shocked by the details of Taekwoon's childhood. He didn't know what to say.

"...It was't your fault, Yeonie," Taekwoon looked over at his best friend with the same shy smile he always had. "It's never been your fault. I... I always thought that... when I remembered my parents, I would fall apart. But... I haven't. Actually, I'm... I think I'm okay," he admitted, his smile growing a little bit. "...Honestly, I think it's because of Wonshik. Without him, I don't think I'd be okay. ...But it's not the same. I've missed you so much, Yeonie."

"I've missed you too, Woonie-"

"You're more than my best friend, Yeonie. You're my brother, my family. Nothing can replace that. Although I've needed you, I... I can understand why you thought I didn't. And I'm sorry about that. Really, really sorry. I should have told you sooner."

"No, you have nothing to be sorry about," he placed a hand on Taekwoon's shoulder, smiling at him sincerely. "...I'm really proud of you."

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

After promising to never fall out of contact again, Taekwoon offered to tidy the apartment whilst Hakyeon got a nice long bath. Hakyeon had promised his best friend he would sort his life out, that he would stop drinking and never let his home get so messy again, and Taekwoon trusted that. He didn't mind tidying up, actually finding it quite relaxing.

When he had finished, he sat down on the couch, waiting for Hakyeon to join him. Taekwoon had decided to sleep over, considering how late it was. As he relaxed on the couch, he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. Pulling his phone out, a smile tugged at his lips as he realised he had a picture message from Wonshik. It was an adorable selca of Wonshik pouting, cuddled up with the cat plushie Taekwoon had named 'Sarang'. 

From: Wonshikkie ❤

We miss you T.T

“Wonshik?” Hakyeon asked, catching Taekwoon’s attention. He hadn’t even noticed Hakyeon had joined him on the couch. Taekwoon’s cheeks turned a pale pink as he nodded, slighlty embarrassed that he’d been caught swooning over his phone. Hakyeon smiled, rubbing the towel around the back of his head to dry his dripping hair. “Hey... I am happy for you, you know.” Taekwoon looked up at his best friend, surprised at what he had just said. Hakyeon smirked, continuing, “I know I’ve been... well, a jerk about it,” he frowned a little. “But... I really am happy for you. I’ve never seen you smile like that before.”

“Yeonie...”

“Woonie,” Hakyeon placed a hand on Taekwoon's shoulder, hoping it would show just how sincerely he meant what he was saying. “You’re my best friend. All I’ve ever wanted is for you to be happy. And... Wonshik seems to make you really happy, right?”

Taekwoon bit his lip and smiled. “Y-yeah, really happy.”

“Then I’m happy,” Hakyeon smiled warmly. Before he knew it, Taekwoon threw his arms around him, pulling him into a hug.

“Thank you...” Taekwoon whispered into his best friend’s ear, hugging him tighter than he ever had before.

Hakyeon smiled to himself, hugging his best friend back. He closed his eyes, soaking in the magic of the moment. He knew this was one hug he’d cherish for the rest of his life.

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

“So... have you made it official yet?” Hakyeon grabbing his feet and bringing them up on he couch so that he was now sitting with his legs crossed. He grabbed a cushion and cuddled it to his chest as he stared at his friend, eagerly waiting on his response.

”...What do you mean?” Taekwoon narrowed his eyes, unsure of what exactly Hakyeon was answering. He had a sneaking suspicion his question wasn’t as innocent as it seemed, and his overly eager expression only strengthed Taekwoon’s suspicions.

Slightly uncomfortable with how Hakyeon was smiling at him, he picked up the TV remote from the coffee table, turning the TV on to avoid answering. Hakyeon took the remote from him, turning the TV off as he rested his chin on Taekwoon’s broad shoulder playfully. He couldn’t resist the opportunity to playfully tease the shy boy. He wasn’t asking Taekwoon if he’d slept with Wonshik yet, but he knew Taekwoon well enough to realise that that’s what he thought he was asking.

“Get off,” Taekwoon mumbled, blushing slightly as he nudged Hakyeon off him with his elbow.

Satisfied with the adorablely shy reaction he had managed to get out of him, Hakyeon finally put Taekwoon out of his misery. “I didn’t mean in that way~” he chuckled. “I meant, have you asked him to be your boyfriend yet?”

“Oh,” Taekwoon sighed, relieved that the conversation wasn’t going where he thought it was. “Oh... N-no, I haven’t.” Taekwoon frowned slightly, looking at his feet as he figured out how to say what was on his mind. He was grateful how patient Hakyeon always was with him, waiting for him to work through his thoughts without putting any pressure on him. “I... I don’t really know how,” Taekwoon admitted, slightly embarrassed. “I’ve never... been in a relationship before.”

”...Really?” Hakyeon couldn’t hide his surprise.

“Really,” Taekwoon sighed. “When we were kids, after... I was discharged...” he frowned. “I... I wasn’t really myself, you know?”

“Woonie... It’s okay,” Hakyeon said reassuringly. “We don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to.”

“No, it’s okay,” Taekwoon offered his friend a weak smile to show he was greatful for his understanding. “I... I made a lot of mistakes in that time, and I slept with a bunch of people...” he sighed, still full of regret from that part of his life. ”... But... nothing serious. I’ve never liked someone before. I’ve never wanted to be with someone before.”

“That’s... kinda sweet, actually. Wonshik will be your first, huh?” Hakyeon smirked cheekily, trying to lighten the mood a little. Luckily it worked, as it caused Taekwoon to crack a smile. Unluckily for Hakyeon, that smile was followed up by a playful neck chop. “Okay, I probably deserved that~” he laughed as he rubbed his freshly chopped neck. “I dunno, Woonie... I think it can be simple if you want it to be.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, if you’re not sure how to go about it, just ask him: Wonshik, do you wanna be my boyfriend?”

”...And you really think that would work?”

“Of course~” Hakyeon smiled reassuringly. He yawned, glancing over at the clock, only to notice just how late it had become. “Oops, I should have been sleeping hours ago. I’m in uni early tomorrow.”

“I’m sorry if I kept you up.”

“Don’t be silly~” he smiled warmly. He took Taekwoon’s hand and squeezed his gently. “Thank you, Woonie. For everything. It... it means a lot.”

“Thank you, too,” Taekwoon smiled, returning his best friend’s gentle squeeze. “Go to bed.”

“Good night, Woonie~” Hakyeon got up and stretched sleepily, waving to his friend as he left for his bedroom. Taekwoon waved back,

As soon as he was sure Hakyeon was in bed, he took out his phone to finally respond to Wonshik’s adorable message from earlier. He smiled as he stared at the photo of the handsome young boy he was in love with. Following Hakyeon’s advice, he found himself slightly nervous, writing out long responses only to delete them. Eventually, he finally responded with a simple:

To: Wonshikkie ❤

I miss you too x

He figured it would be better to ask him in person.

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

“Woonie~” Hakyeon yawned, gently but firmly tapping his friend on the shoulder. “Time to get up~”

Taekwoon groaned, rolling over on the couch before groggily opening his eyes. As soon as he opened his eyes he found himself feeling blinded by the bright rays of light coming from the kitchen. He lazily shielded his eyes with his forearm as he sat up, completely exhausted. He’d barely gotten any sleep.

“Sorry Woonie,” Hakyeon apologised. “You probably slept rough, huh?”

Taekwoon nodded, yawning as he rubbed his eyes sleepily.

“I’m sorry~” Hakyeon couldn’t help but smile a little to himself at how cute Taekwoon was when he was sleepy. “I’m gonna be late if I don’t leave soon.”

“Okay,” Taekwoon mumbled between yawns. He stood up and blinked a few times to try and wake up.

 

------------------------------------------------------- 

 

“Taekwoonie~”

Taekwoon was pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome he recieved as he returned home. He’d only just walked in and was about to lock the door when he felt Wonshik’s arms wrap around him. He grinned, locking the door as he enjoyed the sweet back hug from the younger boy.

“Wonshikkie,” Taekwoon smiled, turning around in order to hug him back. However, instead, he was met with Wonshik pulling him into a kiss.

“I missed you,” Wonshik pouted, wrapping his arms around his hyung’s waist. He smirked as he noticed the older boy’s surprised expression and blushing cheeks. The two became lost in each other's eyes as Wonshik’s smirk was met with a shy smile.

“I missed you too,” Taekwoon whispered, wrapping his arms around Wonshik’s shoulders. He pulled Wonshik closer so that the two could share one more tender kiss.

“Is Hakyeon okay?” Wonshik inquired, taking one hand away from his hyung’s waist to gently brush some hair behind his ear.

“Yeah,” Taekwoon smiled, placing a hand on top of Wonshik’s as it met his ear. He rested his cheek on Wonshik’s hand for a moment, closing his eyes and bathing in the happiness he felt when he was with Wonshik. “He will be.”

“Good...” Wonshik mumbled, mesmerised by how angelic Taekwoon looked in that moment. He blushed as Taekwoon opened his eyes and smiled at him dreamily. ”...I... T-that’s great news, Taekwoon.”

“Wonshik,” Taekwoon mumbled. “I didn’t get much sleep...”

“Me neither,” Wonshik admitted. “I don’t have any classes until this afternoon... Maybe we can get a nap together?”

“Mm,” Taekwoon nodded sleepily. “I’d like that.”

Cute, Wonshik thought to himself. “Go get comfy, okay? I’ll get us something to eat.”

Taekwoon nodded, kissing Wonshik’s palm and smiling at him before retreating to his bedroom. Whilst the younger boy was fixing them some breakfast, Taekwoon changed into a clean shirt and swapped his jeans for sweatpants. He climbed into bed and sighed happily, relieved to finally be back in his comfortable bed. As soon as they finished their food, Wonshik cuddled up next to Taekwoon, resting his head on his hyung’s broad shoulder as Taekwoon lovingly the younger boys hair.

”...Wonshik....” Taekwoon broke their comfortable silence, ruffling the younger boy’s hair playfully to get his attention. Wonshik looked up at him, but the words just wouldn’t come to him. Taekwoon wanted to ask him that question, but it was harder than he expected. He bit down on his lip nervously, trying to gain the courage to ask but the words just wouldn’t come. Instead, he decied to kiss Wonshik.

Wonshik was a little confused, but he was more than okay with the two kissing. He was obsessed with Taekwoon’s soft lips. He really missed Taekwoon last night, and he decided it was time to show his hyung just how much. He sat up, straddling Taekwoon as he continued to kiss him, slowly working his tongue into Taekwoon’s mouth.

Surprised by the sudden make out session, Taekwoon was slightly delayed in his response, but he soon caught up with Wonshik’s pace. He wrapped his arms around the younger boys waist, pulling him a little closer as their tongues began to explore each other's mouth's. Wonshik was beginning to get a little bit more than excited, and wanted more. He tried his luck and bit down on Taekwoon’s lip, which drew the most magical sound out of his hyung. It made Taekwoon moan.

,” Wonshik moaned as he broke away from their kiss. He admired the shy boys blushing cheeks - Taekwoon looked so cute when he was flustered and embarrassed. “That has to be the iest sound I’ve ever heard,” Wonshik leant in to whisper into Taekwoon’s ear before returning to their passionate kisses.

Shivers went down Taekwoon’s spine, Wonshik’s hot breath and deep voice lingering in his ear. He was so lost in their kisses that he only just realised Wonshik was trying to removed his shirt. He lifted his arms, allowing Wonshik to remove his shirt. Wonshik had seen Taekwoon shirtless before, but he had never felt his hyung’s torso. He ran his hands all over the older boy, savouring every moment of it. His favourite thing was definitely Taekwoon’s toned arms...

“A-ah~ W-wonshikkie~” Taekwoon moaned as the younger boy bit down on his lip once more. Wonshik had began to move his kisses from Taekwoon’s lips to down his neck, throwing in some bites that he was learning his hyung really liked. Hearing that soft, gentle voice his name drove Wonshik crazy.

Wonshik sat back to admire the angel beneath him. He smirked, pulling his hoodie off and throwing it to the side. “Taekwoonie...” Wonshik smiled playfully. “Want me to take my shirt off, too~?”

“Y-yes, please,” Taekwoon begged shyly, biting his lip in anticipation. His jaw dropped a little as Wonshik removed his shirt to reveal his delicious abs. Taekwoon had fantisised about Wonshik's body before, but it was even nicer than he'd imagined. “W-wow...”

Wonshik smirked as he blushed, amused by his hyung’s adorable response. He returned to kissing and biting at Taekwoon’s neck and shoulders as Taekwoon ran his fingertips over Wonshik’s chocolate abs, his whole body tingling with desire. He went to slide a hand into the younger boys pyjama bottoms, but things came to an abrupt halt.

“S-sorry,” Wonshik coughed awkwardly, grabbing Taekwoon’s wrist to stop his hand from going any further. It wasn’t that he didn’t want it - there was incredibly clear evidence in his pants that he desperately wanted it - it was more that Wonshik suddenly remembered his little secret: he was still a . “I... uhm...”

“It’s okay,” Taekwoon smiled understandingly. “You’re not ready?”

Wonshik nodded. He was a little embarrassed, seeing as he had initiated the whole thing. He came to the realisation that if he were to ever take things further - which he really wanted to - he’d have to tell Taekwoon he was a . However, he just wasn’t ready for that conversation. He smiled at the older boy, grateful that he was so understanding.

He moved off of his hyung, lying next to him instead and tapping his chest to invite the older boy to use it as a pillow. Taekwoon smiled, cuddling up next to him and resting his head on Wonshik’s chest. He bit his lip, staring at Wonshik’s abs in desire. Wonshik pet Taekwoon like a cat as the two lay comfortably in blissful silence for a while.

”...Wonshikkie...?”

“Hm?” he smiled, looking down at his hyung lovingly. Taekwoon smiled back, thoroughly enjoying the gentle petting. Hakyeon’s advice rang in his ears. 

It can be that simple if you want it to be.

“Wonshikkie... do you... Do you wanna be my boyfriend?”