On the twelfth date of Christmas my date said to me... "I like you more than StarCraft."

The 12 Dates of Christmas

 

A/N: Everyone, I would like to say thank you SO MUCH from the bottom of my heart for staying with me through this fic. It's my first completed chaptered fic and I'm so proud right now -tears up- I couldn't have done this without my readers. I love you all! <3

 

On the twelfth date of Christmas my date said to me… “I like you more than StarCraft.”

 

“What do you think is going to go wrong this time?” Sungmin asked.

 

Henry, who was driving the car to Sungmin’s next date since Zhou Mi was off Christmas shopping, laughed. “Nothing, Min! I bet this date will be the best,” he urged enthusiastically.

 

Sungmin gave him a sideways look. “Listen Henry, I’ve been thrown down a hill into a snow ditch, had to endure two hours of insults, been cursed at in Chinese, been one upped by a turtle, become drunk until I was incoherent, gone on a date with a straight man with a fiancé, had my face stuffed into a shoe that was probably from hell, had to babysit a kid in a man’s body, almost been forced into marriage, had my date stolen away by a guy with a strange philtrum touching and my last date only said five words to me. Fate’s trying to tell me something and I’m pretty sure it’s, ‘you’re destined to be single forever!’” He sighed dejectedly and dropped his head into his hands.

 

Henry laughed again and awkwardly gave Sungmin a pat on the back. “Don’t worry Min, just think… It can’t get any worse!”

 

Sungmin punched him.

 

“Why’d we have to go out so early anyway?” Sungmin rubbed at his eyes. It was Christmas Eve and he was awake at seven. There was something wrong with this picture.

 

“I heard your date planned a lot for today,” Henry said and winked.

 

Sungmin was expecting a lot so when Henry drove up to the café Sungmin worked at, he was clearly disappointed. “I thought you said he had a lot planned,” Sungmin pouted as he opened the door to get out.

 

“Don’t worry, he does!” Henry waved. “Have fun Min!”

 

Sungmin sighed again before walking inside the familiar café. His co-worker Sunny came out from the back. “Hello, welcome to- Oh, Sungminnie!” She smiled and waved to him. She walked over, still in her apron, carrying a batch of freshly made cookies.

 

“Want one?” She offered.

 

“Thanks Soonkyu,” Sungmin said, immediately taking one and popping it into his mouth. Cookies made everything better. “I needed that.”

 

Sunny smiled before going back to work to start getting for new customers.

 

 

“Are you sure you don’t want a coffee or something?” Sunny asked worried as she walked over to Sungmin’s seat where he had been sitting for the past half hour folding napkins into origami.

 

“Nah, thanks though,” Sungmin said with a shrug. His date hadn’t shown up yet and even the second cookie hadn’t cheered his mood.

 

He was just considering going home to snuggle under some blankets and watch some chick flick when he spotted a familiar someone getting his daily hot chocolate.

 

“Yah, Kyu!” Sungmin waved him over.

 

He looked surprised to see him and walked over after he had gotten his drink. He had brought a second cup also and handed it over to Sungmin. “Hey Min, what are you doing here?” He asked, curious as he started sipping his own.

 

“I’m on a date,” Sungmin said dryly. Hot chocolate with marshmallows, whipped cream, caramel and chocolate sauce… His favorite.

 

Kyuhyun glanced around before laughing. “Got stood up, didn’t you?” He asked with a playful grin on his face.

 

“Shut up,” Sungmin said and half heartedly shoved him.

 

“That ,” Kyuhyun said before taking a napkin out of his pocket and handing it over. “It’s one of the last of Ryeowook’s cookies. Here, you can have it.”

 

“Aww, thanks Kyu.” Touched, Sungmin took it and broke it in half before handing half of it back to Kyuhyun. “Cheers to Zhou Mi being a horrible matchmaker!” He said and tapped his cookie with Kyuhyun’s.

 

They both laughed and finished up their drinks.

 

“Why are you here anyway?” Sungmin asked, wiping off Kyuhyun’s whipped cream mustache because he was a child like that. “Don’t you have some StarCraft contest later or something?”

 

“Yeah, tonight,” Kyuhyun said as he wiped the rest of the whipped cream off his face before throwing away Sungmin and his trash.

 

“You drove here, right? Think you could give me a ride home?”

 

Kyuhyun smiled. “Sure Min.”

 

In the car they talked about what they were doing for Christmas. Kyuhyun was originally going to spend it with his family but something had come up so he was spending Christmas Eve with them instead. Sungmin parents were visiting friends in Japan, so he was going to spend the weekend alone.

 

Sungmin was so caught up in the conversation that he only realized they weren’t home when Kyuhyun parked the car in front of the movie theatre.

 

“Yah, Cho Kyuhyun, why are we at the movie theatre?” Sungmin said, confused as Kyuhyun came and opened the door for him.

 

“I thought we could go watch a movie,” Kyuhyun said with a grin and easily avoided the smack that Sungmin sent him.

 

“That is kidnapping!” Sungmin said, but he followed Kyuhyun inside anyway.

 

Kyuhyun scoffed. “It’s not like you’re a kid anymore, anyway.” This time Sungmin managed to hit him.

 

Sungmin was reminded of his previous date with Kibum when they sat down to watch the movie, but he didn’t need to worry. Movie nights with Kyuhyun were always fun. They watched an action humor with a bit of romance and the whole night Kyuhyun made him laugh by making fun of it almost through the whole thing.

 

When the movie finished Sungmin was glad he had decided to go watch the movie. It had relieved a lot of stress and Sungmin found Kyuhyun to be amazing company. What he didn’t expect though was that his and Kyuhyun’s day out wasn’t done yet.

 

“Where are we going NOW?” Sungmin said with a laugh as he finished up the remaining popcorn in the car.

 

“Not telling~” Kyuhyun replied, sticking his tongue out.

 

Sungmin threw popcorn at him. Kyuhyun was determined not to tell him though so Sungmin just threw popcorn at him for the rest of the ride.

 

When Kyuhyun finally parked he picked up a handful of popcorn and chucked it at Sungmin before hopping out of the car nimbly.

 

Sungmin laughed and jumped out also. He was shocked though when they arrived at the amusement park that he had been to with Donghae. “We’re here?” He asked, surprised.

 

Kyuhyun pouted, coming up to him. “Why, do you not want to go in?” He asked.

 

“No, it’s just…” Sungmin decided not to tell him that this was the same park he went to with Donghae. “Never mind, let’s go in, okay?”

 

Kyuhyun grinned and promised he’d win Sungmin a stuffed bunny. It was nearly the afternoon but it was pretty quiet since it was Christmas Eve.

 

As soon as they walked inside Sungmin braced himself to be pulled toward a ride, expecting the familiar yank on his arm.

 

“So what ride do you want to go on, Min?”

 

Sungmin blinked and glanced at Kyuhyun. He was rubbing his hands together to warm them up and glancing around at the rides.

 

“Jeez, why didn’t you bring gloves?” Sungmin asked when he noticed how red Kyuhyun’s hands were.

 

“I didn’t plan on coming here,” Kyuhyun admitted and Sungmin sighed before taking Kyuhyun’s hands in his own and rubbing them to warm them up.

 

“Idiot,” Sungmin mumbled.

 

Kyuhyun just laughed before suggesting them go ride on the rollercoaster.

 

They ended up riding the rollercoaster a few times, then the merry-go-round and some other rides before Kyuhyun tugged him toward the games booths.

 

“I promised you, didn’t I?” Kyuhyun said with a grin as he led him to one of the shooting games. Hanging above them was a variety of cute and colorful stuffed animals. After paying he picked up the fake gun, closed one eye, and aimed.

 

Sungmin resisted the urge to laugh when he missed and had to cover his mouth when Kyuhyun ran out of bullets.

 

“I thought you were a gamer,” Sungmin said with a grin as he pat Kyuhyun on the back. “You should be good at this.”

 

“Yah! Shooting and playing games is a lot different.” Kyuhyun said stubbornly.

 

Sungmin grinned before taking the gun from Kyuhyun. “Let me try.” Sungmin lined up the gun, closed his eye and shot. Easily on his first try the small target flipped over and Sungmin was able to choose whatever prize he wanted. “Let me have that one, please.”

 

The shopkeeper took down a blue wolf stuffed animal that he had been pointing at and handed it to him.

 

“Thank you!” Sungmin said and hugged the stuffed animal to his chest. He grinned at Kyuhyun and ruffled his hair. “Maybe next time, Kyu.”

 

Kyuhyun just smiled. “You’re good at everything,” he commented.

 

Sungmin blinked, surprised. Kyuhyun usually never complimented him and instead just . He was wondering if Kyuhyun was making fun of him but he seemed completely sincere. “Ah… Thanks, Kyu.”

 

Kyuhyun smiled again before patting his stomach. “I’m hungry,” he declared. “Want to go get lunch?”

 

With a start Sungmin realized it was already close to noon. They had played all morning and the two cookies he had had for breakfast hadn’t done much good. “Sure, sounds great.”

 

Sungmin was thinking they would just get burgers or something so he was surprised when Kyuhyun led him into a fancy restaurant inside of the park. Filled with candle light the two sat at a booth near the back with soft Christmas music playing in the background.

 

“Wow, it’s really nice here,” Sungmin commented. He looked at the menu and frowned. Everything was so expensive! “Kyu, maybe we should go somewhere else…”

 

“It’s my treat,” Kyuhyun offered with a grin. At Sungmin’s suspicious looks he shrugged. “Think of it as an apology for all your horrible dates,” he suggested.

 

Finally Sungmin relented and they ordered a nice meal with strawberry shortcake as the dessert.

 

“That was amazing,” Sungmin said as he leaned backwards in his chair, the sweet taste of one of his favorite desserts still on his tongue.

 

Kyuhyun laughed and called a waitress over. After he paid he grabbed Sungmin’s arm. “Come on Min, we should leave.”

 

Feeling slightly disappointed that their time together was over Sungmin followed Kyuhyun reluctantly to the car. He didn’t need to be sad though for once again Kyuhyun didn’t drive them toward home.

 

 

“Kyuhyun…” Sungmin said warningly as he sat stubbornly in his seat, refusing to get up.

 

Kyuhyun tugged on his arm, laughing. “Aww, come on Min, it’ll be fun!”

 

“No way. Go yourself. I will stay here in the warm car while you go fall on your .”

 

Kyuhyun attempted his best puppy dog pout. “Please Min? I promise I’ll catch you!”

 

Sungmin sighed before flicking Kyuhyun’s head and reluctantly climbed out of the car. “You better.”

 

The reason why Sungmin was so reluctant was because Kyuhyun had brought him to an ice skating rink. This one was inside though so Sungmin didn’t need to worry about any snow banks to fall into. What he did need to worry about though was falling on his . Again.

 

“Don’t worry Min, you’ll be fine,” Kyuhyun said with a laugh and allowed Sungmin to clutch onto his arm as they walked to the rink.

 

Sungmin was swearing as soon as he got on the ice. His legs didn’t seem to want to listen to him and he was completely unsteady as he flailed his arms trying to regain his balance. Sungmin was just about to face plant when a strong arm grabbed onto his waist and held him steady.

 

“Thanks,” Sungmin said breathlessly.

 

Kyuhyun maneuvered himself in front of Sungmin and steadied him. “One step at a time.” For a moment Sungmin was distracted by Kyuhyun’s soft low voice before he realized he was being instructed.

 

Blushing slightly Sungmin gripped Kyuhyun’s arms like vices and took shaky steps.

 

“Good job!” Kyuhyun praised when they had gotten a full round around. “Here, take my hand.” He held out his hand invitingly and when Sungmin took his hand he realized how nicely their hands fit together.

 

Kyuhyun began skating backwards, leading Sungmin who slowly began to regain his confidence on the ice. He was really beginning to enjoy it.

 

“Since when did you learn to ice skate?” Sungmin asked, no longer feeling like he was going to fall every step he took.

 

Kyuhyun shrugged. “I used to when I was younger. I wasn’t sure I remembered, but I guess I did.” He grinned.

 

Sungmin whacked him on the arm. “Cheeky jerk,” he said with a small smile.

 

It was only when they were drinking hot chocolate afterward that Sungmin realized their fingers had been intertwined when they were skating.

 

 

“Where are we going now?” Sungmin asked, frowning when he again realized that they weren’t going back to their apartment.

 

“My parent’s house,” Kyuhyun said with a grin.

 

“Yah! Now this is REALLY kidnapping!”

 

“It’s your fault you came along with me. It’d take too long to bring you home so I decided to just bring you along anyway.” Kyuhyun glanced at Sungmin’s worried face and laughed. “You know my parents love you,” he said with a smirk.

 

Sungmin sighed. “What an insolent brat.”

 

“Yeah, but I’m YOUR insolent brat.” Kyuhyun grinned and Sungmin just stuck his tongue out at him.

 

When they arrived Kyuhyun had only just opened the door when they were pulled into the house into a big hug. “KYUHYUN, MY BABY!” Mrs. Cho said as she hugged her son tight.

 

“Can’t. Breathe. Mom.”

 

Mrs. Cho just laughed and released her son before turning to Sungmin. “AND YOU BROUGHT SUNGMIN! WHAT A GOOD BOY YOU ARE!” She then grabbed Sungmin in a tight hug and he laughed.

 

“Nice to see you too Mrs. Cho,” Sungmin said.

 

Mrs. Cho smiled and gave him a pat on the head before going to get some cookies she made.

 

“And hello to you too, Mr. Cho,” Sungmin said and bowed to Kyuhyun’s father and shook his hand.

 

Mr. Cho laughed before hugging Sungmin also. “Nice to see you, kiddo!” He said and ruffled Sungmin’s hair before bring the two kids to the dinner table.

 

They spent a good few hours there just talking and eating. To Sungmin’s delight Mrs. Cho had made a pumpkin pie especially for him. “I was going send it to the apartment, but since you’re here, it’s even better!”

 

Sungmin thanked her before digging in. Strawberry shortcake and pumpkin pie all in one day? What a great day.

 

He was surprised when Mrs. Cho and Mr. Cho even brought out a present for Sungmin. He was teary when he opened it to realize it was a brand new guitar.

 

“Oh my god,” Sungmin whispered in amazement at the pink guitar that stood before him. “I can’t take this.”

 

“Nonsense!” Mr. Cho said with a smile. “This is an early Christmas present from us and Kyuhyun. He helped pick it out.”

 

“Do you like it?” Kyuhyun asked with a worried look in his eyes.

 

“Of course,” Sungmin said as he gently took the guitar. “It’s beautiful. Thank you so much.”

 

 

They finally had to leave the Cho’s house and Sungmin was sad when he said goodbye to them. Mr. and Mrs. Cho had always treated him like family and he was touched by their kindness.

 

“I love your parents,” Sungmin said as they drove back home. “And your mom’s cooking. This pie is amazing.” Apparently Mrs. Cho had made two pies and had given them a basket full of Christmas cookies to add.

 

Kyuhyun grinned. “They love you too~”

 

When they arrived home Kyuhyun helped carry the food while Sungmin carefully carried his new guitar. But right after he put it down Kyuhyun had grabbed his hand and started pulling him outside again.

 

“Where are we going?” Sungmin asked, frowning. It was already dark and Sungmin was cold.

 

“The park,” Kyuhyun answered. He paused though and took off scarf and wrapped it around Sungmin. “Better?”

 

Sungmin nodded and Kyuhyun smiled. “Good.”

 

They got to the park, which was quite dark, and Kyuhyun led Sungmin to the swings. He took one seat and Sungmin took the other.

 

“Did you have fun today?’ Kyuhyun asked as he swung his legs.

 

Sungmin could barely see Kyuhyun in the dark but he knew he was looking at him. He smiled. “Yeah. I really did. This was the best date I had out of all the twelve.” He then paused. He had just called their outing as friends a date. How stupid could he get? “No wait, sorry, I didn’t mean date,” he said quickly, wondering if he could’ve ruined their friendship.

 

Kyuhyun laughed. “So you mean, it wasn’t a date?”

 

Sungmin paused again. He had to admit, it had seemed a lot like a date… But no, the two were best friends for crying out loud. They couldn’t date. It’d ruin everything they had together. “No, it’s not.” He said, determined.

 

There was a pause in which Sungmin heard Kyuhyun move. Then Kyuhyun was suddenly right next to him, whispering in his ear. “What if I want it to be one?”

 

Sungmin shivered involuntarily and didn’t respond.

 

“Close your eyes, Min.”

 

Sungmin did and then felt a warm breath on his face.

 

“Open.”

 

Sungmin opened his eyes and could suddenly see Kyuhyun’s face right in front of him, all of his imperfections and perfections only an inch away from his. For a second he thought he was glowing but then realized the whole park was covered in lights.

 

“Kyuhyun…” He whispered, amazed at the beautiful lights around them. Before he could say anything else though Kyuhyun had leaned forward and their lips connected.

 

It was like… Fireworks. Suddenly Sungmin wasn’t feeling cold anymore and a warm feeling had spread through his body, every inch of his body touched by this strange fuzzy and warm feeling.

 

And then Kyuhyun stepped back and it was like Sungmin was missing a part of himself.

 

Kyuhyun laughed at the big eyed lost look that Sungmin was giving him before taking his hand, interlacing their fingers. “Come on, we should get back. I don’t want you to catch a cold.”

 

With a final look at the lights they walked back home.

 

 

When they got home Sungmin was still experiencing that strange fuzzy feeling so that when he opened the door it took him a few moments to realize what he was staring at him.

 

“I always keep my promises.” Kyuhyun was grinning.

 

“Oh my god…” Sungmin stared at the fluffy pink bunny sitting on the floor in front of him, smiling up cutely at Sungmin.

 

Wondering why Sungmin hadn’t moved Kyuhyun went over and picked it up and handed it to him. “Do you not like it?” Kyuhyun asked, suddenly worried.

 

Sungmin turned to him and smiled. He was so cute when he was worried. Sungmin dropped the bunny, hearing it hit the ground with a soft ‘plop’.

 

“Min?” Kyuhyun asked, confused.

 

This time it was Sungmin’s turn to cut him off. Their lips connected, Sungmin’s arms wrapping tightly around Kyuhyun’s neck. Quickly Kyuhyun got over his shock and then his arms s around Sungmin’s waist, holding him close.

 

Sungmin pulled away from the kiss and snuggled closer, a soft smile on his face. “I thought you had a StarCraft Contest to do tonight,” he whispered. He felt so comfortable in Kyuhyun’s embrace that he decided he would never let go.

 

Kyuhyun laughed and Sungmin felt a surge of warmth pass through him. Then he leaned down and whispered in his ear, “I like you more than StarCraft.”