PART 8

RUN!

“First, late Officer Choi who was appointed to track the group down was killed. Then, Vernon’s brother who was tracking the group too was killed” he paused. “I think the group is trying to get revenge on these people who were trying to catch them by kidnapping you three children, their blood bounded”

 

“! These people really has death wishes!” Vernon swore under his breath.

 

“But what about other kids who were kidnapped? That mean that they had nothing to do with this race after all” Mr. Kim voiced. “Let’s see” Chief Officer Joo looked through his small tab. “It seems that all the children had family member who work in the police department mainly. So that mean this children are not kidnapped randomly”

 

“All of this was planned from the beginning” Vernon’s mother replied.

 

“And now they want to kill the whole citizen with a bomb?!” Yuju voiced.

“About the bomb, we’re still searching for it in the public area. Maybe the group is just creating this up. Who knows?” Chief Officer Joo replied.

 

“So now all three of us just had to continue the race, right?” Vernon questioned. “Or the group will blow this place down”

 

“Yes. You should try to slow them down. And give us more time to locate the bomb” “Sure. No problem, sir”

 

“But” Mr. Kim began. “Why did they kidnapped these students? It’s weird. If they want to kidnap and torture kids, they can just take students that are walking around the school corridor at that time, right? Or maybe just kidnap kids without anyone noticing? Why did they make such a huge kidnap case that can attract everyone’s attention?”

 

“Sir, you mean these kidnapped children were maybe chosen to be kidnap?” Mr. Choi asked and Mr. Kim nodded. 

 

“That sounds quite logic” Yuju looked at Vernon. “Because Ye Eun’s uncle was a policeman three years ago before he died”

 

“So you’re saying that the kidnapped students have family members who work as police?” Mr. Kim asked. “I just make an assumption but it could be true” Yuju shrugged.

 

“I’ll look for every kidnapped students’ profiles and see if what you said is true” Chief Officer Joo replied. “I’ll take my leave then. Good luck for the three of you” he bowed.

 

“Yes. Thank you” the other bowed before he made his way out from the room.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Yuju stared through the window of the ICU room with her arm crossed. Vernon came and followed her gaze to Kihyun who was still unconscious on the hospital bed, trapped between the wires and tubes. Sound of the machines around him filled the silent room.

 

“Kihyun-ah” Yuju sighed. “How can this happen?!” she shut her eyes in frustration. “He shouldn’t be kidnapped and forced to race. And he didn’t even tell me he has a heart problem. Will he ever awake?” she held back her tears.

 

            Vernon held out his hand to pat her back but paused. He put his hand aside. “I’m sure he will. Don’t worry”

 

            Yuju ignored him and continued to stare at Kihyun.

 

“Let’s go” Vernon voiced and she turned to him. “We can go home now and have a rest before the final round tomorrow”

 

“Oh yeah. The race. I almost forgot” she glanced at Kihyun over her shoulder. “Both of us should continue without him then”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Yuju entered the cozy and modern living room of her house. She stood at the wide window of the apartment and stared at the scenery. Sky scrapper in the city built and people busy with their daily routine. Her eyes saddened.

 

“I can’t let these innocent souls go in vain” she whispered.

 

“Of course, Yuju” Mrs. Choi put the grocery on the counter. “That’s why I’m letting you to finish the race and save the people. I know you gave high fighting spirit” her hand busy putting out the grocery. “Just like your appa”

 

*Appa* Yuju turned to the side table beside the LCD TV. A white frame with a picture of her father in police uniform smiled was on it. She returned the smile.

 

*I’ll save these people! Just like what appa always do*