PART 14

RUN!

“Oh !” Vernon rushed to her as he saw her arm was pierced by one of the small knives. Blood ran out from the wound.

 

“I’m fine” she grinded her teeth and held onto the knife. She pulled it out and shouted in agony. “Let’s get to the roof fast” Vernon helped to hold onto the wound.

 

            He helped her to stand.

 

“Wait” Yuju spoke and they exchanged stares before turn to the sound behind them. Smoke released from a locker there.

 

“Let’s go!” they exited the classroom and the hallway started to fill with the gas too.

 

“They’re seriously trying to kill us!” he shouted as they ran toward the stairs and climbed it as fast as they can.

 

            Vernon opened the red door to reveal the roof top. He closed the door and locked it.

 

“AARGHH!” Yuju shouted in relief before fell onto the floor under the night sky. He fell beside her. They exchanged looks.

 

“We’re safe!” he chuckled. Vernon laughed happily. Yuju smiled and then began to laugh too. She locked her hand with his and smiled. Their eyes met. Vernon’s lips curled into a smile.

 

            The sound of helicopter could be heard and the night sky soon filled with some police’s helicopters.

 

“They found us” he was grateful.

 

*                      *                      *           

 

            Weeks later, Yuju was back at her daily routine. The newspaper article on her hand was stared for a while. She was at the school garden.

 

*It’s great that the group was arrested. Appa must be happy too. And the bomb was found at the subway in the Phoenix Zone, just like we guessed.  Luckily the bomb was set off just in time before it explode. Things are turning for the better now* she smiled.

 

“Yuju noona” Kihyun walked to her. “Kihyun-ah” she kept the article back into her bag. “Reading about the news again?” he sat beside her. “I just can’t stop reading it” “Yes. I know. It’s important to you” he smiled.

 

“Are you okay? I mean your health” “Sure. I’m strong right? But this little guy still need more care” he patted his chest where his heart was.  “What are you doing here? I thought you’d always stay in library. It’s recess now” “Nothing. Just relieving my stress” she replied. “Nothing? Really? Or you’re waiting for someone?” he wiggled his eyebrows.

 

“Of course she’s waiting for me” Vernon appeared before them. “Hi, Yuju”

 

“Hi” she tried not to smile broadly.

 

“Okay I should be going now” Kihyun stood. “This lovey dovey couple shouldn’t be disturb”

 

“You’re right. Now go away” Vernon waved him away with a smirk. “I’m so sorry, Kihyun. I’ll see aroud” Yuju said. “Noona, you’re telling me off too? This couple is really something” Kihyun chuckled. “I’m sorry” “Nah. Bye now” he waved and left them.

 

            Vernon sat beside Yuju. He suddenly laid his head on her lap.

 

“Yah! Vernon! Get up!” Yuju shouted. She saw people stared at them. “People are looking at us”

 

“I don’t care. It’s not that they didn’t know about us right?” he closed his eyes. Her face turned red at the thought of Vernon proposing to her at the school canteen last week. It was embarrassing but she liked it.

 

            He suddenly opened his eyes and reached out to her face. He curled her hair behind her ear while locking eyes with her.

 

“Thank you for loving me” he cupped her cheek. “Thank you too. For loving me” she held his hand with a warm smile.

 

-End-

13 Oct 2015 00:12