PART 4

RUN!

“Let me tell you” Kihyun whispered. “People had been saying about him. He’s one of the troublemaker at school. I mean everyone think it’s ridiculous to make a rascal like him a class president. He’s a sleepy head and if his class is ever noisy and wake him up, they’re already dead”

 

“That’s scary” she whispered and Kihyun nodded in agreement.

 

“It’s a surprise that a girl make it to the final round” Vernon took her attention. “Did you mean you look down on me?” he got on her nerves. “Well yeah. I thought I’m the only person left” “Tsk. Don’t be too proud of yourself, mister”

 

            The woman in suit came to them. She clapped her hands with a warm smile.

 

“Congratulation! More survivors than I estimated” she voiced. “How many” Vernon began. “How many do you estimate will make it to the final?”

 

“Good question, young Vernon. Well, truly speaking. None. I thought all of you will die even before the second round but surprisingly the three of you are here, alive. Good job, Kihyun, Yuju and Vernon” “How do you know our name?” Kihyun narrowed his eyes at the woman. “Not just your name. I know every single piece of information about you. Well now” she pressed her palm together. “Since all of you will compete in the final round, I’ll send all of you home”

 

“Yay!” Vernon cheered and stood. “But” the woman voiced. “What is it?” he moaned and sat again. “Under one condition. The three of you are to come to your school on morning two days from now to complete this race”

 

“If we disagree?” Yuju blurted. “We prepared a special gift to the government. The gift is hidden in the public place with many people go there. You know what it is?” she approached Yuju. “A bomb. And when it explode, BOMB! All of you stupid people will shattered into pieces!” the woman smirked.

 

“!” Yuju kicked the woman that she fell backward onto the floor. A few men came and held her hand to her back and knelt her. “Yuju noona!” Kihyun shouted and Vernon froze at her sudden action. “You gonna regret to hell if you kill the innocent citizen!” Yuju shouted.

 

            The woman stood again and chuckled. She pulled Yuju’s front hair to face her.

 

“No. You are the one who will regret. For pissing me off!” the woman let go off her. “Take them away!” she ordered.

 

            A few men came and blind folded the three students before tying their hands. The three forced to board the truck. Yuju felt the cold sting truck floor against her palm. Her tears flowed and she sobs quietly. *Why is this happening?*

 

            Her head fell aside onto someone’s broad shoulder as she fell asleep. For a moment, she woke up from her slumber.

 

“Kihyun-ah” she called. “Yah, you’re using my shoulder without permission” Vernon reprimanded. “Really? I’m sorry but I’m really tired” she drifted to sleep again. Vernon sighed. His hand was tied to the front and he could feel Kihyun’s head on his lap.  

 

“What a long day” he sighed heavily.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Argh!” Vernon was thrown beside Kihyun and Yuju who were already thrown onto the cold cemented floor. The truck engine could be heard as it drove away, leaving the children in the middle of nowhere.

 

“Wait! What?! They left us?! Without even untie us?!” Kihyun shouted. “Shut up will ya, kid?” Vernon struggled to take off his blind fold and untied Kihyun. “This is so much work!”

 

“Thanks” Kihyun took off his blind fold before untie Vernon. The boys helped to untie Yuju.

 

            Yuju winched at the sudden street light shone into her eyes as she took off her blind fold.

 

“Where are we?” she looked around the empty street with old abandoned warehouses around. “It’s already night?”

 

“We better start looking for our way home” Vernon patted the dirt off his pants. “It’s getting late”

 

“Sure. But” Yuju turned to Kihyun who was on the floor. “Can you walk?”

 

            Kihyun slowly shook his head. “I can stay here alone”

 

“Bull !” Vernon knelt with his back facing Kihyun. “We’re not leaving you here”

           

            Yuju and Kihyun looked at each other, baffled.

 

“Come on” Vernon complained. Yuju helped Kihyun to get on Vernon’s back.

 

“Thank you” Kihyun voiced as Vernon started to walk. “Thank me later, kid” he replied. “Are you even okay yourself?” Yuju saw a white cloth tied to Vernon’s leg with blood stain on it. “I’m fine. It’s just a cut. No big deal”

 

            They stepped through the old road with tall grasses grown beside it. Night animal sounds could be heard. Yuju swallowed her saliva in fear and walked closer to Vernon.

 

“Chill. Just focus on the road” Vernon advised. Yuju nodded, trying to take his advice.

 

            The three walked pass some left apartment until they saw a main road.

 

“Look!” Kihyun pointed to a phone booth across the empty main road. They raced there. Yuju grabbed the phone handle as her other hand slipped into her blazer’s pocket to grab some coins. She inserted the coin and dialed before looking at Vernon and Kihyun who were panting too. Yuju looked around the familiar scenery.