PART 11

RUN!

“Manage to come to second floor in one piece? That’s amazing! Let’s hope you stay alive until the end. Second floor is scarier than the first. Good luck with the clue. When you solved the question, rooftop is the only safe place”

 

“So we should go to rooftop as soon as we can” she said “Yeah” “Let’s continue to look for the clue”

 

            They walked to the East wing. Yuju approached a door.

 

“You sure you want to enter this room?” he asked. “Yes” she turned the knob and jumped back. Nothing came out from the dark classroom with a few candles lit on the desks.

 

“Wow! It’s safe! That’s the first” she entered the classroom. Vernon began to look under each desks for any clue. Yuju searched at the lockers.

“Nothing here” Vernon came to her. Yuju was holding the handle to open a closet.

 

            She pulled it open and shouted loudly. She was too shock that she jumped into his embrace. They looked at the human skulls that fell out from the closet in disbelief. Yuju shut her eyes and moved closer to him. She was trembling.

 

“Yuju, look” Vernon pointed to the inner wall of the closet. She shook her head. “Let’s get out!” “Hey” he called softly and patted her back. “Okay. Let’s get out but I’m telling you that there is a letter ‘N’ painted in it” He brought her away from the classroom.

 

            Yuju’s leg gave up and she fell onto the cold floor. Vernon sat beside her as she tried to breathe normally.

 

“I’m sorry” she whispered. “I’m just too scared”

 

“It’s okay. Take your time” he leaned himself against the wall. He let out a heavy sigh. “Tonight is going to be a long night”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“I’m fine. Let’s go now” Yuju stood and avoided his eyes with her cheeks still red from embarrassment after she suddenly jumped into his embrace. “You sure? Or we can stay here longer?” “No I’m fine. Let’s go” Yuju and Vernon walked through the hallway.

           

            Vernon suddenly pointed to a man in a dim lighted classroom near them.

 

“Maybe that person can help us” he quickly grabbed the door knob. “Wait” Yuju whispered with her eyes glued to the man. “I don’t think he’s someone nice”

 

“What?” He already opened the door. The man turned to her with evil smirk that made Yuju gulped. The man stood up, his hand holding a shining machete.

 

“RUN!” Vernon ran with Yuju following close. “How do you know he’s someone bad?”

 

“I don’t know if you ever see his photo but he called himself ‘The Jester’. He had rob, and killed for years and so cops had him in the wanted list. I once saw my appa holding that person picture when I was 3” “Now that you mention it” he glanced back to the man. “I may had seen that person’s picture. But isn’t he supposed to be in prison?”

 

“Yes. But he was released not long ago. If I’m not mistaken”

 

            They entered a classroom and they hid inside a closet. Both squatted and stayed close together. Yuju met eyes with Vernon but both looked away as the sound of the door being kicked was heard. The sound of dragged footsteps could be heard and they gulped, trying to stay silent as they can.

 

            The closet door was sprung open to reveal the man with shinning machete. Yuju’s shout could be heard. The man pulled Vernon by hid collar and the young man face expressed pure fear. The man kicked him square on his chest. Vernon rolled and hit the wall.

 

“Vernon!” Yuju called but her eyes went to meet the man’s eyes in front of her. “Please” she whispered but the man already lifted his machete, ready to kill.

 

            Vernon who was in pain turned to look at Yuju and the man. “!” he looked around and saw a thick wooden plank near him. He grabbed it and ran to hit the man on his head before him able to kill her. Vernon hit the man a few time with his teeth grinded.

 

            The young boy stood back and the plank fell off his grip. The man was already lifeless on the floor with blood gushed out from his head. Vernon panted and trembled.

 

“Yuju” he went to Yuju. “You-you okay?”

 

“Yes. Thank you, Vernon” Yuju got up. Vernon suddenly dropped onto the floor.

 

“Hey” she shook his shoulder. Yuju tried to search his eyes but he looked around. “Vernon, what’s wrong?”

 

“That” he pointed to the man. “I-I killed him. For real”

 

“But you do that to save me” she rubbed his back. “So it’s fine. If you didn’t kill him, I would be the one who is dead”

 

            Vernon did not reply and continued to tremble. He glanced at the man he killed.

 

“Let’s get out of here first” Yuju pulled him to stand. Vernon slowly stood and walked as Yuju dragged him out of the classroom.

 

            They leaned against a wall. Yuju looked around as Vernon tried to calm down. Something lit up between the scattered wood on the floor caught their attention.