PART 12

RUN!

“What’s that?” she crawled to it. “It’s a phone” she looked at the screen. “With no reception! Damn!” she sighed.

 

“What’s the letters?” he looked at her. “The letters that we found so far”

 

“P and N” “Is there a name of place that use these letters” “Something came to me thought. PNX. The Phoenix Zone” “If we found an ‘X’, your guess is right” he stood. “Let’s go”

 

            They stepped pass a classroom. Vernon stopped.

 

“Did you hear that?” he looked at her. There was the sound of machine working. She nodded slowly, trying to identify the sound.

 

            The classroom windows suddenly shattered into pieces as bullets were shot out from the classroom toward the two. Vernon and Yuju squatted in panic and ran away from the area.

 

            The two ran into an empty classroom. Yuju sunk into the floor as she closed the door behind her.

 

“That was close! You okay, Vernon?”

 

“Sure” Vernon who was panting while staring at the blackboard voiced. “But look here”

 

            A letter ‘X’ was on the old blackboard.

 

“You’re right! It’s Phoenix Zone!” he smiled broadly. “Thanks. Now, we just have to tell the other about it” Yuju took out the phone she found earlier and dialed her mother’s number. Vernon walked to the teacher’s desk that had a vase of white flower on it.

 

“Hello” Mrs. Choi answered. “Phoenix Zone-“ Yuju couldn’t finish her word and looked at the dark screen. “! Seriously?! It’s out of battery!” she snorted and kept the phone at the back pocket of her skirt.

 

“Vernon, what should we do now?” she turned to Vernon but he was silent. He was staring at her without a noise. “Yah. What’s wrong?” her eyes went to the flowers on the desk. “It can’t be-“ she whispered.