PART 5

RUN!

“I think I’ve been here before” she told the boys. “Really? Then, where are we?” Vernon asked but Yuju couldn’t answer him as her mother answered the phone on the other line.

 

“Omma!” “Yuju-ah! Where are you, dear?” Mrs. Choi was crying. “Omma” Yuju answered and couldn’t stop herself from crying too. “I must have make you worry”

 

“I’m fine, Yuju. Are you okay? Where are you?” “Ehm” Yuju wiped her tears and looked around. “You know the place Appa always go to work at night?” “Yes but how can you be there?” “Omma, I’ll tell you everything later. My friends are hurt and they are with me now” “Okay. I’ll call the ambulance now. Wait there, okay?” Mrs. Choi ended the call.

 

            Vernon put Kihyun on the pavement as he threw himself flat on the floor beside him. Yuju came to join them.

 

“I called my omma. She’ll call an ambulance here” she explained. “Hey” Vernon sat up. “You said you’re been here right?”

 

“Yes. Now I remember. My appa once brought me here because omma couldn’t look after me for a few days due to her work outstation. My appa worked in this are years ago” “So he moved to work at another place now?” “No” Yuju bit her lips. “He passed away years ago”

 

“I’m sorry” Vernon replied. “For asking about that”  

 

“No. It’s okay” she tried to smile and turned to Kihyun. “Kihyun, you’re good?”

 

“Sure” Kihyun nodded and looked at his leg. Yuju walked to Kihyun to check on his leg.

 

“Actually” Vernon took their attention. His eyes locked to them. “I think I’ve been here too” With his words, Kihyun and Yuju looked at each other before looking at Vernon.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe I’ve been here years ago” “Alone?” she asked. “With my family? Maybe” he replied.

 

            Minutes later, ambulance sirens echoed and approached them. They were taken to the hospital.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

             Yuju opened her eyes to the sudden bright light. A familiar face appeared before her with a warm smile.

 

“Omma” Yuju called weakly. “Yuju” Mrs. Choi held her daughter’s cold hand. “I’m glad you’re fine” she wiped her tears away. “Omma, don’t cry. I’m here right” Yuju smiled. Mrs. Choi nodded and wiped her tears again. “I’m sorry, dear” she stood.

 

“You must be hungry” she pulled the table to Yuju as Yuju slowly tried to sit. Yuju winced as her body was hurt.

 

“You okay?” “Sure, omma” Yuju took the chopstick but paused. She looked around the wide ward room. All of the other three beds in the room were already occupied with the patients.

 

“They’re my friends” Yuju voiced. “They’re sent here this evening” Mrs. Choi explained and sat on the chair. Yuju glanced at the clock.

 

“It’s already 4 in the morning? Omma, did you even sleep?” “No. But I’m fine” “Omma, you should get some sleep. I know today had been a long day for you” “But I want to be there when you wake up. And listen to your story. So tell me. What happen, Yuju? What did the group want from you children?”

 

            Yuju stopped from eating and looked at her mother. She started to tell her what happen.

 

“The government is trying to investigate this group of people and what are their motives” Mrs. Choi said. “But they shouldn’t do that to you children. It’s cruel!”

 

            Yuju nodded in agreement and continued to eat.

 

“Omma, do you” she started. “Know where the other two boys are? The boys that were with me when we arrived here”