𝕋𝕨𝕠

Seventeen Girl

"Are you ready?" Dad asks me as he, Mum and I look upon the concrete building that towers over us.

PLEDIS ENTERTAINMENT

I close my eyes and inhale deeply, preparing to dive into the deep end. "Yeah, let’s go."

Pledis wanted me here quickly so we agreed to take the flight they arranged, which left in two days. It's a huge gesture considering how much tickets cost, they must be expecting a lot from me. The start of summer is the perfect time to set off on this adventure, as Mum and I have no school responsibilities and Dad can easily take a week off work. I spent these two days strategically packing my things and finding out more about the group I'm about to be in.

It was tricky trying to figure out how much research to do on Seventeen, I don't want to look like a stalker, but I don't want to look like I don't care either. Learning everyone's stage and real names seemed like the best option. They all looked so kind and friendly in their pictures, I'm sure we'll get along.

The day of our flight comes around so it's goodbye to our family home and time to go to the airport. I wonder how long it'll be until I see our house again. Our airplane is half an hour away from take-off when we arrive so we have plenty of time to check in and find our seats.Β 

During the flight, I planned to listen to 17 Carat, but it was impossible to get past the second song. It was so catchy! How did I listen to one song for 10 hours straight? I probably know Adore U off by heart now.

Β 

When we land in Seoul a driver is waiting for us near the airport exit holding a sign with my name on it, ready to take us to our hotel. It's amazing to be in the well-known capital city since my only previous experiences of South Korea have been a small, island province. The sky-high buildings are so tall they appear to scrape against the night sky, a sight I'm quite familiar with, having lived in London my whole life. It'll be fun to settle into a new city.

Eventually, we arrive at our destination and some bellboys appear on cue to help us take our bags. The hotel is clearly five star as it showcases its numerous awards in the foyer with pride. Mum and Dad will be staying for the week in case I chicken out and want to go home, but that's not going to happen. After settling in our room and unpacking, it's straight to bed. My dreams overflow with visions of me and my new teammates.

Β 

Now we're here, at an actual Korean entertainment company. Up until this point, it would have been possible for all of this to have just been a dream. The only indication of this being cold, hard reality is the feeling of dread that settles in my stomach.

Do I really expect us all to get along like some characters in a children's show? Am I really going to go in there with the mentality of a 5-year-old on their first day of school? It's wrong of me to assume everyone will like me just because I'm the newbie. What's so likeable about me? They'll probably just hate me like everyone at my school did. They're way out of my league, no one would want a loser like me in their group. Β Why do I expect Seungkwan and I to have some kind of happy reunion? It's been years since we last saw each other. I probably only remember him because he was my only friend, but it's not going to be like that the other way around. He's probably forgotten all about me.

Of course, I make this realisation just as we enter the building. Mum and Dad give our names to a receptionist who gets another member of staff to lead us to the meeting and to my inevitable doom. We stop at one of the identical pairs of doors in a long hallway. A foamy mixture of fear bubbles up inside of me as the person opens the door for us to enter.

Β 

The room must be huge considering the number of people inside. There are four tables arranged in a rectangular formation. At the top table is the man I assume to be the CEO since he sits in the biggest chair and shares his table with no one. On the left are an array of adults who are possibly PDs or other important people. On the right are thirteen boys sat neatly in a row having a multitude of conversations between themselves. I don't dare make eye contact with any of them.

Silence takes over as everyone becomes aware of us entering. We sit in the three seats on a table directly across from the CEO.Β 

"Welcome!" He greets us, cheerfully. He gets straight to formalities, going over the application which was sent for me to fill in with my email, and he checks all the information in it is true. After this, a contract is brought out which all three of us read while the CEO explains its features. When Mum and Dad agree on everything in it, they allow me to sign. Hurriedly, I scribble my signature onto the document. I might as well have signed my own death certificate. The CEO rejoices joyfully, "We're very happy to have you Cami!"

Β 

After this, our attention is brought to people on our left. There are three PDs, two producers, two choreographers and a stylist who Mum and Dad question about all the things I'll do on a daily basis as an idol. It's hard to listen when my brain decides to dig me into a deeper pit of despair. Mum gives me a little nudge when she sees I'm distracted, so I push the negative thoughts into the back of my mind and listen to what one of the choreographers has to say.

"The most important thing about this group is that we want our members to be responsible for their own careers. We're really just here to check that all your work is up to standard and add a few bits if they're needed. For example, Hoshi does most of the group's choreography." The blonde haired boy they refer to waves over at us. giving one of the brightest smiles I've ever seen. Somehow, his soft facial expression steadies my heartbeat and calms my nerves. I put on a small smile and shyly wave back. Maybe he won't hate me.

Β 

After a few more minutes of questions and answers, the CEO speaks up. "You've heard enough from us boring adults, why don't you spend some time with the boys?"Β 

Oh no.Β 

"Yes sir!" They respond in unison, before filing out the room. My body stays frozen in my seat.Β 

"Come on Cami, go say hi to your new teammates." Dad persuades me.Β 

"But don't you guys need me here?" I make up an excuse on the spot.Β 

"We'll be fine, dear." Mum assures me. "Now, run along." I manage to peel myself out of the chair and slowly walk towards the door.

Β 

They're going to beat me up. They're going to beat me up, and if I don't die I can't run home like a little baby because now I've signed a contract. So I either stay here and hate my life or try to escape and get my parents caught in a legal battle which'll cost thousands and they'll hate me for wasting their time and money. Why did I check my email? Why didn't I just let it pile up like I always do? Then none of this would have happened.

I finally walk out the door and close it behind me, looking down so I don't face the thirteen people who will probably assault me. Seungkwan slowly starts to approach me and I close my eyes. I can't believe my own best friend is going to be the first person to beat me up. My breath halts as I expect to feel some sort of pain.

Instead, he wraps his arms around me.


"Hi. I missed you." Seungkwan mumbles quietly. A grin crawls onto my face and I can't resist the urge to pick him up and spin him around while declaring joyfully:

"I missed you too!"


A/N: Hello again. Yup, I really took a month to write a chapter. I've gotten into the weird habit of only writing in the mornings idk. Also I'm a little late but THANKS FOR OVER 1000 views! I know I've changed the story a lot but I hope you guys still enjoy it. I'll try to get the next chapter out sooner (I'm a horrible liar it'll probably take ages forgive me). Bye!