𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣

Seventeen Girl

After that first day of familiarisation, I'm soon put to work as part of my initiation into Seventeen. The CEO wants to watch some performances to see how well I fit into Seventeen as a group overall, in a unit, and on my own, so that's 3 performances in a week. It's the start of my training and it'll teach me how to deal with deadlines. I'm glad that I get to prove myself, but it's nothing compared to the hardships everyone else went through to debut. I wish I wasn't so lucky.

Watching them all dance for the first time is an amazing experience. To see everyone moving in sync makes me wonder how I can fit into such a coordinated group. Maybe I'm the final piece of this puzzle or maybe I'm trying to fit into something that's already complete.

"Well done guys!" I clap and cheer and they smile while breathing heavily. "That was amazing!"Β 

Once they've all caught their breath, Seungcheol asks "So, are you ready?"Β 

There's only one answer.Β 

"Of course!"

Β 

Seventeen's own take on After School's song 'Bang!' keeps the excitement of the original song and choreography while adding their own twist. As I learn the routine with the support of my new friends, there's so much motivation for me to do my very best. After all, I have to make these guys proud.

Within a few hours, the choreo is branded into my brain. Dancing alongside everyone for the first time dissolves any doubts that have crawled inside me. For the first time in my life, I have this unexplainable feeling of belonging, and I never want to give it up.

The next day is spent working with my new unit. Since I don't have any singing or rapping skills - yet - dance is my strongest point. Joining the performance unit makes perfect sense.

Β 

The way I see it, each unit comes with a stereotypical personality for it's members, similar to cliques in a high school. The vocal unit are the handsome singing princes, the hip hop unit are the cool, badass gangsters and the performance unit are the energetic, fun kids. You only need to know these guys for a few days for that idea to be blown out the water. It's not all black and white with each person in their assumed box, their personalities flow like water and no one is exactly like people think they are.

With that being said, it doesn't mean the performance unit isn't fun. As well as watching other dancers and choreographers, they take inspiration from everyday life or bursts of randomness. Working with Chan, Soonyoung, Jun and Minghao is a delight. With all the creativity between the 5 of us, it only takes a few days to create an exciting, lively performance.

Β 

When I'm not practicing with everyone else, I'm working on my solo. A polished version of the choreography I made up for BeyoncΓ©'s 'Run the World' a few years back is my choice. I should do more BeyoncΓ© when I have the chance, this song was my jam.

While practicing alone one day, a knock comes on the door of the dance room. "Come in!" I yell past the loud music whilst going to turn it off. It's Soonyoung who's come to pay me a visit.

"Hey!" I greet him. "What brings you here? You know I'm not letting anyone see my solo."Β 

"Well, actually, as your unit leader I'm supposed to assess all our performances including members' solos." He tells me.

"Oh, alright then, I guess I have to." Really thinking about it, I'm not used to the concept of being watched while dancing. Like, actual people who I can see watching me, not someone watching one of my videos. If I can't dance with just one person watching then I'm really screwed. Getting in my own head isn't helping, I need to focus.

Once the music starts, I forget everything else. Going through the movements and keeping my composure, I feel weightless. Soonyoung's positive facial expressions are a good sign I'm doing well. Eventually, I finish.


Β 
"So how did I do?" I wonder about Soonyoung's opinion. "I'm not going to get booed off stage, right?" Part of me is joking but there's real fear behind those words.

"No! No! Don't think like that at all!" He reassures me. "You were great - you'll probably get an encore, not be kicked off stage!" I sigh in relief. "Also, I didn't need to assess your performance, I made that up. I just really wanted to see your solo."

"Hey!" I playfully punch him in the arm. "It was supposed to be a surprise! Well at least I know it's not horrible." Slightly winded, I sink beside him on the floor and gulp down some water from my bottle.

"It's quite interesting to watch you dance. You have such a cute personality but when you're in the zone, you become a completely different person." His words catch me off guard, causing my throat to suddenly close up and make me splutter.

Did he just call me cute?

"You okay?" Soonyoung shows concern about the fit of coughing and wheezing I break into.Β 

"I'm fine! Just drank too fast!" I bang my chest to get it out my system, then wipe my mouth with the sleeve of my sweatshirt.Β 

Β 

Before I know it, the big day is here. Peering through the stage curtains I see the audience consists of the staff I met on my first day, a group of girls I've never seen before and the CEO, sat in the front row with my parents. I wave to Mum and Dad, Mum smiles and Dad shakes his fist, mouthing "Cami hwaiting!" making me giggle.Β 

All 14 of us huddle together for some words of encouragement from Seungcheol, before walking out together.

The CEO speaks. "I hope you've all been working hard this week. Now, let's see what you've got!"

"Yes sir!" We shout in unison.Β 

Β 

The first two performances come and go without a hitch. But when it's time for my solo, butterflies do aerial backflips in my stomach.Β 

Seungkwan seems to sense my nerves and pats me on the back. "You may be annoying but you're the best dancer I know. You've got this, kid."Β 

"Thanks bud." I ruffle his hair.Β 

"Yep, very annoying." He says while plucking my hand off his head like it's a piece of unwanted gum.

Keeping Seungkwan's words in my head, I step out into the spotlightand the butterflies subside. Paying no attention to those watching and dance freely as if I was by myself.

I'm my toughest critic but that wasn't as bad as it could have been. I kept in time to the beat and did everything has planned. But even with pouring my heart and soul into those few minutes, who knows if I've met professional standards.

Β 

Tension builds as we wait for the CEO's verdict. Anxiously, I fidget with my hands, wondering what he'll say. The CEO calls for me and I follow his voice, going out alone once more.

"So this is the best you could do?" I nod meekly.
"Well, you've made a good impression on me, young lady. Of course, you'll still need training before you debut, but you have a lot of potential. You've passed."

My now official group members come rushing out from backstage and pick me up while whooping and cheering before I can even contemplate what just happened. Thankfully, I'm not wearing a skirt, or I'd be flashing the clapping audience.

After my feet are back on solid ground, the CEO and my parents step up onto the stage. He then hands my dad a small, silver coloured ring. Dad takes my hand and slides the ring on my finger as Mum looks on with content. "We're so proud of you." He smiles and pulls me into a warm embrace.Β 

"I'm very happy to welcome the newest member of Seventeen." The CEO addresses the audience, and another round of applause rings in my ears. We take a few pictures in different poses that show off my new ring, a simple metal piece that finally unites me with my group.Β 

Β 

But even with all the joy, I know what's coming next. The week is up and my parents have to go home. "Don't worry! We'll video chat every day, you'll hardly know I've gone." I smush my dad's face between my hands to get rid of his sad pout.Β 

Mum sighs, "I know these days you can take 100 photos a minute, but we thought you'd like to have some you could hold." She brings out a medium sized box from her handbag, a pastel blue polaroid camera.Β 

"Make sure you take loads, we can spend lots of time going through them." Dad encourages me.Β 

"Thank you, I will!" We hug again then Dad turns to the guys.Β 

"You boys better take care of my daughter. If anything happens to her I'll come straight back and hold you all responsible!" He warns in a surprisingly stern tone.Β 

"Yes, Mr Bae!" They yell like they're going through a military routine.Β 

"But you should all celebrate after your hard work, so go have a nice meal. It's on me!" Dad gives me several cash notes and I give him a puzzled look.Β 

"Thank you sir!" The boys yell again.

"Let's take one last picture before you go." I suggest. One of the girls in the audience offers to make use of my new camera and we get into position.Β 

Β 

With the photo and money in one hand, I wave goodbye to my parents as they leave the building, the door closing shut as two figures step into a taxi.Β 

They're really gone. My attention turns to the photo we took just a few minutes ago, still warm in my palm, recently printed. It's a cute image, capturing all the happiness and glee we ha in bright, gleaming smiles. I should get an album to keep all the pictures I'll take.Β 

The brown haired, doe eyed girl who took our picture approaches me whilst I'm zoned out. "Hi!" She says while handing my camera back to me. "You were amazing out there! I just thought I'd introduce myself since I think you're training with us. I'm Jieqiong, but you can call me Pinky. You've got somewhere to be so I won't hold you for long but it's nice to have another girl around, the more the merrier!"Β 

"It's nice to meet you, Pinky! I'm Cami. I look forward to training with you and your friends." We shake hands and smile.Β 

"See you around!" Pinky then returns to the rest of her group.

"All right." I spin around to face my team. "Let's go celebrate!" I lead the way out the building despite having no idea where anyone wants to go. Meh, we'll find somewhere.

Β 

"Why are you feeding him? He's barely eaten anything off his own plate." Mingyu asks slightly irritated.Β 

"But how can you resist that face?" Seokmin shoots another killer sunshine smile and I reward him by shovelling another piece of beef in his mouth. "You don't have to be jealous, I'll feed you too if you want."Β 

I take Mingyu's own chopsticks and pick another piece of beef from my plate, pointing it towards his pursed lips coaxingly. He can't resist and gives in, munching the meat cheerily.Β 

"You know you can get tapeworms in badly cooked beef." Wonwoo quips. "Didn't need to know that." Mingyu shudders at the thought.

"Please stop talking with your mouth full, some of us are trying to eat." Seungkwan whines.

Being able to hang out and have fun with friends is something I never imagined myself doing two weeks ago. Now they're officially stuck with me I guess we'll have more moments like this in the future.