π•Šπ•šπ•©

Seventeen Girl

Despite it being 6 in the morning, our whole bus is bursting with energy, singing along to songs on the radio. We're really just trying to stay awake.Β 

The bus stops in front of the high school campus we've been filming at. Yesterday, we shot all the dance and performance scenes that would be used in the music video, but today we'll be recording the main drama features.Β 

Β 

Through the early hours of morning, the sets are built and everyone gets prepared to shoot once again. In the girls' dressing area, the makeup artist applies a typical layer of cosmetics to my face. There was no chance of anything in my shade being bought locally, so we relied on international shipping. As much as she tried to match me with the swatches online,Β  there's a considerable lightening in my skin tone after going under the brushes.

A blazer with my name on the right side matches the pleated skirt I wear and completes my school-girl ensemble. This outfit reminds me that, for the first time ever, I'm actually excited about school. Being in a class with Vernon, Seungkwan, Eunwoo, Yebin and Pinky sure won't be boring.

Β 

Soonyoung and I are the last to finish up, so we walk together to meet the director. Complimenting each other on clothes and chatting about choreography, the conversation then takes a different direction.

"Do you think I'm ready?" Out of the blue I voice my worry to him.

"Yeah! I'd say you practiced the most of of all of us."Β 

"I did have to make up for possibly years of vocal practice in a few months."

"And you adapted, because you have a naturally good voice, as well as being a quick learner. Either way, you can only get better - the lines you have are in your range so it's an upward journey from here on out."

"Thanks Soonyoung." His sudden shower of praise gives me confidence.

Β 

Joining the end of the row, the director briefs us on the music video in front of the school and then filming begins straight away.

The first scene is about Wonwoo dreaming about holding hands with his crush.Β 

Β 

"Yah, Wonwoo! What are you doing dreaming about me in class instead of getting a good education?" Shooting a fake disappointed look his way, I elbow his arm as we stand side to side.Β 

The cameras roll and we both look at each other, hands just barely touching, holding the position until the director orders a cut. I let out a frustration filled scream, then pat him on the back. "Good hustle, kid."

"I'm older than you. And why are you climbing that tree?" He questions my sudden ascent up the botanical feature behind us.

"Because it relieves my cringe." I simply reply, swinging my legs back and forth on the branch I'm sat upon.

Β 

The next scene is much more dramatic. Vernon is going to grab my hand and like the drama queen I clearly am, I'll slap him. It's not a real one, but it's hard to convincingly hurt him without actually hurting him.

We have to redo the scene so many times that in my tiredness, I slap him for real this time. The scene was going so well that we both went along with it, but I immediately run back to Hansol afterwards, rubbing his cheek and apologising repeatedly.

"It's alright, I hardly felt anything."

Β 

"Then why are you crying?"

Β 

Next, under a basketball hoop, Seungcheol passes me a ball playfully. Instead of passing back to him like the first two times, I take some initiative and shoot the ball at the hoop, stood in a proper basketball player stance when it leaves my hands. The ball falls through cleanly and Coups congratulates me with a high five full of enthusiasm. The director likes my decision and is happy with the take.

"Would have if I missed." I comment to Seungcheol, dribbling the ball aimlessly.

"Yeah, but you didn't." Seungcheol gets the ball off me when I'm distracted. "You did good, kid!" He yells while I attempt to get it back, running around him.

Β 

Later, I'm swaying side to side with my arms held out, as I walk along a railing wearing borrowed ruby red headphones, ignoring the drop on my right side.

Mingyu appears at the start of the path, taking my arm and straightening me out when I walk past.

After the director declares he's happy with the shot, I jump from the railing onto Mingyu's back, pointing forward to the school.

Β 

"Onward!" Hitting my legs on his sides signals him to run towards our destination. He holds on to my thighs as I wrap my arms around his shoulders to avoid falling off in the process.

"I'm more of a prince than a donkey, you know." Mingyu informs me at the school's entrance after putting me down.Β 

"Yeah... you keep telling yourself that." I stand on my tiptoes barely managing to ruffle his dark blue hair.

Β 

Fittingly, a buffet is being held in the rented out school cafeteria. Everyone takes a break from filming to eat while sitting at the canteen's tables.

"God! That's your third plate, woman!" Seungkwan stares at me in disbelief as I return with another portion.

"Don't foodshame me, I didn't have breakfast. Leave me alone!" He still looks at me with unnecessary shock while I eat, only stopping when I punch him hard in the arm.

Β 

"Honestly," Jeonghan leans over the table to wipe a bit of food from the corner of my mouth, causing me to grin sheepishly. "I've never seen two people fight so much, are you even friends?"

"Not if he keeps acting up." I glare at Seungkwan.

"Not if she keeps abusing me." He rubs his sore arm.

Β 

After lunch, I'm sat on a classroom desk as I chat with Pinky, Eunwoo and Yebin while we're all waiting to film the next scene.

"It's pretty laid back if you don't get on the teacher's bad sides and keep on top of the work. There's loads of extra curricular activities, but I'm not sure if you'd have time for them." Yebin sums up school life over here.

"But what's English school like?" Eunwoo inquires.

"Well, it was a very exclusive private school so I'm pretty sure my experience isn't the same for most English schools." The three of them look at me wide eyed after my response and I realise how pretentious it sounded.

"Not that public schools are bad! The only reason I could go was because my mum was a teacher there!" I flail my arms around in panic, trying not to give them the wrong idea.

"But it must have been fascinating, and with cute English boys too!" Pinky giggles.

"Nope. All girls. There were loads of interesting subjects and great facilities but it always felt like that school was more for status than for education. Like just being able to go there proved how much money your parents had. It felt like I was the only one who took school seriously because unlike the majority of students there, my future wouldn't be sorted without it."

Sitting up straight, I tell more. "There was this one girl, a total nightmare. Imagine the most prissy, stuck up person ever then times that by a 100. As the richest girl she was automatically on top of the social pyramid. It was ridiculous. She had her butler with her everyday, solely to carry her 12 Gucci bags. She looked down on people who's families didn't have a net worth over 50 million, so clearly she wasn't a fan of little middle class me. I'm not going to call names but I just can't stand people like that."

"That really does sound like a nightmare." Yebin grimaces. "There's a girl like that at our school, but she doesn't speak to anyone outside of her circle because Google Translate doesn't look good on her phone!" We all burst out in laughter.

On the other side of the classroom, Seungkwan struggles to read a book written in English. Joshua leans over his desk to help him out but Seungkwan shoots him down with a mean look, causing a nervous Joshua to walk away. This makes me laugh even harder.

Β 

Rushing to use the last hours of sunlight, we film the last scenes on the blue tennis court we danced on yesterday.

I have no idea what we're doing but it's some playground game called 'The Rose of Sharon has Bloomed', it's actually quite fun.

It's my turn at the front of the line and I'm relatively good at catching everyone out. Seungkwan got caught out by my super reflexes, so he holds my left hand at the start of the 7 member long chain I've created.Β 

Spinning around when the moment feels right it appears that Hoshi has caught me out. Being this close together highlights the deep dark brown of his eyes, almost like they're drawing me in. The gleaming grin on his face as he takes my hand and runs to the back of the line reminds me that we're just playing a game.

But I can't shake off the intense feeling that took me when I fell into his eyes, my heart only just manages to stay in my chest. It's because I'm not used to being around guys.

Β 

Somehow the guys all talk me into being pushed around in a shopping trolley. Who am I to turn down a free ride? At first, my fingers lace round the wire sides of the trolley in fear of falling out. Eventually, I let go completely, throwing my hands in the air as Seungcheol spins me around with my friends all around me.