π•Šπ•–π•§π•–π•Ÿ

Seventeen Girl

"Bye Mum, bye Dad!" Pressing the red button with the white telephone inside, I end my daily video chat with my parents as everyone waves goodbye. Swiping off the app, I go onto Twitter and look at Seventeen's account.

"Tune in to next week's Andromeda to meet the newest member of Seventeen!" Reads their latest post.Β 

Nayoung glances and sees what's on my screen. "Is the livestream tomorrow?" She asks. "Yeah." I reply.

"Ah Cami I'm so jealous!" Yebin chimes. "You're going to debut so soon!"Β 

Yeah, I really am.

Most of the replies to the Seventeen account's latest tweet (apart from 'OMG') were theories of who the new member could be. The most logical conclusion would be that it's a member who was planned to be in the group but didn't make it to debut. A lot of people are going to be disappointed.

"I think I'll make a lot of people angry tomorrow." I admit, rubbing my neck sheepishly.Β 

"Well that might be true but just walk in there with your head held high and ignore them. Most people won't be that jealous and pigheaded." Eunwoo insists positively.

Pinky holds my hands and looks at me reassuringly. "Everything will be fine. Just be natural, don't stress yourself out." A soft smile accompanies her kind words.Β 

"And make sure you tell us everything that happens!" Minkyung exclaims.

Β 

With my earphones plugged in, I tap my feet to Boyz with Fun, as Seungkwan and Soonyoung set up for the livestream. While humming along I look down at myself, baggy hoodies or sweatshirts with shorts have been all I've worn this summer. Maybe I should have dressed nicer?

"We're ready when you are." Soonyoung tells me when he and Seungkwan are finished.

Β I give them a thumbs up and Seungkwan clicks the mouse connected to the desktop, going live. For a few minutes they talk casually, the empty seat between the two of them building suspense for my entrance.Β 

Evenually Seungkwan addresses the elephant in the room. "I know you guys are dying to know who our new member is."

"It may come as a bit of a shock but we hope you get to know and like this person the same way we did." Soonyoung adds, slightly apprehensive, but smiling all the same.

They both signal for me to come so I inhale deeply before briskly walking over and plopping down in the empty seat, making direct eye contact with the webcam.Β 

"Well don't just sit there, say something!" Seungkwan pesters me.

"Um, hi?" A hushed voice replaces my usual tone. "My name is Bae Cami and I'm 17 years old, that's a good age right?" I attempt a little joke. "I'm from London and dancing is my favourite thing to do. I hope we can all get to know each other and become friends." Ending my short introduction with a polite bow.

The comments go into overdrive, people expressing their shock, excitement, anger. So many say "IT'S A GIRL?!". You'd think this was a live birth.

Β 

"She's so pretty!"

"Is she Korean? She speaks so well!"

"What a cute British accent!"

"Is this a joke? How could this happen?"

Β 

Comments like the last one aren't as frequent as the first three, but they still unsettle me.

"Let's start answering some questions." Soonyoung gets his phone out to read some of the tweets. "What are your hobbies?"

"Well, I like to dance, as I said. I've been dancing since I was 5 but I started teaching myself after I turned 10. I also like making Youtube videos, photography, drawing and reading." Hopefully that wasn't too wordy.

"What are your favourite groups?" Seungkwan alternates asking the questions with Soonyoung.

"My favourites would have to be SHINee and BTS." I answer.Β 

"WAIT. YOU'RE A SHAWOL?" Soonyoung practically shouts, bubbling with enthusiasm.

"Yep. My Dad always played Korean music around the house when I was younger so I could hear the language and he got really into them. He told me: 'Now Cami, don't you mind those other rubbish musicians, just look out for these handsome and gifted young men.' So I grew to like them a lot."

"How could I forget how much you love SHINee? You'd always ask me to sing their songs when we were kids." Seungkwan reminisces.

"I also liked BTS when they debuted. Hip Hop, R&B and Rap are some of my favourite types of music so they really stuck out to me with No More Dream, but We Are Bulletproof PT.2 was got me hooked. Really, they're the ones who inspired me to do dance covers because their choreography is really cool."

Β 

"Of course she likes BTS." A comment reads "What a basic."

"And who are you to judge someone's musical preferences?" Another replies.

Β 

"Who do you bias in these groups?" Seungkwan delves deeper.

"Taemin and Suga. Taemin is a very talented dancer and an inspiration of mine."

"Like someone else you know." Soonyoung wisecracks.

"You mean Minghao?" Soonyoung falls to the ground dramatically, pretending to be that badly affected by my comeback.

I continue with my answer. "Suga is an awesome rapper with this badass personality, but he can be very cute too. Taemin and Suga are two adorable people I look up to a lot as well as bias."

Β 

"How dare she talk about grown men so shamelessly! Who does she think she is?!"

"Why don't you calm down? She hasn't said anything wrong!"

Β 

"Alright." Seungkwan starts again "This is the last one before we start answering live comments. What do you look for in a girl?"

Β 

"That's it! She must be a lesbian. They wouldn't let a straight girl hang around myΒ boys."Β 

"Your boys? You don't own them, they're not objects! Why are you assuming she's a lesbian? If she's straight she's not going to jump on them - she's an idol, not a pitiful sasaeng like you!"

Β 

"Do you mean 'like' as a friend?" I try to clarify.

"No, that's boring. The person who asked this assumed you'd be a boy, so I'll change it. What do you look for in a boy?" Seungkwan pries.Β 

"Um, not much really. Just someone who's kind and/or funny."Β 

Β 

Soonyoung speaks up. "Before we start on the live questions, there's some really mean remarks being made in the comments. I don't think some of the things you guys are saying about Cami are nice at all, so could you please stop?"

An awkward silence fills the air. I know Soonyoung and Seungkwan could see the comments too, but I didn't expect them to say anything. It was inevitable that people would react negatively towards me, so I thought this would be the start of me learning to grow thicker skin, but I'm really glad Soonyoung stood up for me anyway.

"Thank you." I mouth quietly in his direction.

"Let's move on." Seungkwan suggests.

Β 

My toes wriggle inside my sneakers, waiting for Seungkwan to pick a question. "If you had to be one member for a day, who would you choose?"

"Hmm, that's a tough one." I ponder hard. "Probably Joshua, I'd just play guitar all day, he's amazing at it. Or Jeonghan. It would be great to have long hair that wasn't a tangled mess."

"If one of us had to be your brother- who would it be?" Before Soonyoung finishes the second half of his question, I already know the answer.

"Wonwoo. Definitely Wonwoo. I've always wanted a big brother and he's exactly what I'd imagine mine to be like. He's very wise and always gives me good book recommendations. No one really seems to like his jokes except me, how?"

"That's because they're terrible and make our ears bleed." Seungkwan states blatantly. "It's a miracle you're not deaf."Β 

Β 

The rest of the event goes rather smoothly, I hope I've opened up enough for Seventeen's fans to like the idea of me joining their group.

A mass amount of people have followed me on Twitter and YouTube, finding my main accounts with speed. It's weird to see my timeline filled with screenshots of myself, I don't even follow any Seventeen fans and people are interested. But this was the response everyone was hoping for, a girl in a boy group is rather unique after all.

Β 

"That was fun." Seungkwan comments after we log off.

"Thank you guys so much!" I show my gratitude to Seungkwan and Soonyoung.Β 

"To pay me back, you have to let me show you my SHINee albums." Soonyoung tells me.

"Oh my gosh, yes. Please show me!" I don't hide my excitement at all. "Let's go! Let's go!" Grabbing his arm, I pull him out the room.

"Well just leave me then." Seungkwan huffs in his sarcastic tone.

Β 

"Dude your so lucky." In our dorm room, Soonyoung shows he his extensive collection of SHINee memorabilia. "I only have Odd because I was able to get it after coming here." I say while handling a light stick.Β 

My attention shifts immediately when Soonyoung brings out a Taemin photo card.Β 

"It's so beautiful!" I squeal, holding the sacred object with two hands. "How is he even real?"Β 

"You can have it if you want." I look up from the picture in my hand, to him.

"I couldn't could I?" But he insists. "Really? Thank you so much!" I express my gratitude by wrapping my arms around Soonyoung, shaking us left and right in glee.