π•†π•Ÿπ•–

Seventeen Girl

Sitting anxiously in anticipation, the whole class watches the clock as the seconds tick by. When the bell rings a wave of relief washes over the room.Β 

Summer is here.Β 

The other students file out the room before Miss Black can even finish saying goodbye. I don't forget the small decorated box in my bag that contains her going away present.

"Thanks for all the good years, Miss. Good luck at your new school!" She looks at the gift in her hands and smiles. "You're too kind, Cami. Have a good summer, dear."

Β Hot male teachers in their mid to late 20s are the only ones who get appreciated by students here, but that's bound to happen in an all girl's school.Β 

Just down the hall is Mum's classroom. She's usually got a ton of stuff to take home this time of year so I help her out. We carry the heavy load together to the car, then begin the drive home.

"Did you have a good year, Camille?" Mum asks, with the persistent use of my full name.Β 

"Yeah, pretty good." I lie. Where my grades will tell of a terrific year academically, I tell a different story. If you're not like 99.9% of girls at this school, you're basically nothing in their eyes.

Rutherford School for Girls is one of the top private schools in London, even in the whole country. So many people dream of going here, yet the school's vast resources are wasted on high class prima donnas who never take a minute to appreciate what they have. I've been called peasant girl, pauper and sewer rat because I'm the middle-class needle in the wealthy haystack of Rutherford students, who can only afford to go to this school because her mum teaches here. Despite the fact I eat 3 square meals a day and have a nice place to come home to, in their eyes I'm poor because I can't afford 2 Lambos a week with my allowance. Most of them wouldn't know poverty if it stared them in the face.


Poverty is having to go to a school that can barely afford desks for their pupils, or to even pay the teachers. That's the kind of school my mum went to at my age. If one teacher hadn't seen academic excellence in her and asked for her to be enrolled in an English scholarship program, she wouldn't be where she is today. I guess that's why I can stand the spiteful comments that come daily from the majority of the student body and appreciate the good teachers.

Β 

The car pulls up into the driveway of our home. I head inside and put Mum's stuff down in her and Dad's shared office before going to my room. I've been completely over the moon lately, having to stop myself from breaking into hysterics in class because of how many people watched my latest dance cover.

It's still there. Over a million views. The numbers under the video assure me it wasn't a dream. My cover of BTS' Dope has caught the attention of more than two million pairs of eyes.

Maybe BTS has seen it. Maybe Yoongi has seen it.Β 

Nah that's stupid.

I never would have expected this much when my dad took me to my first dance lesson. I've been hooked on dance ever since and an old spare room soon became my second home as a homemade dance studio. Kpop just fuelled my obsession even more - the only thing better than dancing is dancing to great music.

I should start thinking of a thank you video to celebrate the momentous occasion. But it's almost been 2 weeks since I've checked my emails, so I'll do that first. My inbox doesn't look that crazy, but the sender of one of these emails takes me aback.

Β 

To Bae Cami and/or their parents/carers,

Your most popular YouTube video has caught the attention of some of our workers. We've looked at your other dance videos and we think you have real potential. We would be interested in you working under our company in one of our rookie groups, Seventeen. Please contact us soon if you would be interested.

Yours sincerely,
Pledis Entertainment.

This can't be happening.

"MUM!" I nearly tumble down the stairs, laptop in hand, just to share the good news. My mother gives me a puzzled look when the living room door gets kicked open. "Look! Look!" I shove the laptop into her hands and she reads over the letter.

"This is great news dear! But it is a very big decision, so we have to wait until your father comes home." Mum is cautious, but seems happy about the news overall.

Dad's gonna be ecstatic, he's always so happy when I talk about dance stuff with him.Β 

So I guess it's time to do some research on my future teammates. A quick Google search leads me to some group pictures. It's a boy group, interesting. A girl in a boy group is something completely unheard of in the industry, but I guess Pledis is going for something different. Most fathers would strongly resent the idea of their teenage daughter being around thirteen boys 24/7, but I'm sure Dad will understand. Β One of them kind of looks familiar...

Is that Seungkwan?Β 

Memories of Jeju summers at my grandparents’ house, playing with the boy next door, come flooding back. I remember counting down the days until summer rolled in, counting the days until I'd get to see my best friend. Summer wasn't as sweet after he left. The answer to the question I asked myself for years, was only a few types away. So this is where he went.Β 


A warm feeling settles into my heart though, knowing this is what all those talent shows and school musicals he loved so much led to. My only friend is an actual idol.Β 

The sound of a door opening catches my ear. "I'm back! Where are my girls?" A classic family hug ensues, forehead kisses and all, to welcome Dad home.

I don't forget that he needs to be informed about the matter at hand. "Sit down! Sit down! I have great news!" After filling him in on the the situation, I show him the email to seal the deal.Β 

"I always knew you were talented hun, but wow!" He grins with pride. "This is a big decision to make, are you sure?"

"I don't think I've ever been so sure of anything in my entire life."

"But Seoul is so far away dear." Mum worries.

"I'll be fine, Mum. I know it's gonna be difficult but this is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. If I don't take it I'll regret it for the rest of my life. I'll even get to see Seungkwan again. Please?"

Mum and Dad look at each other then back to me. They both nod.

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll make you guys proud, I promise!" I jump up and down in glee before smothering both of my parents in an intensely tight hug.Β 

When I let go, Dad begins to type in the number at the bottom of the email into his phone. I can't believe it, I'm to be in a kpop group. This is a dream come true!

A/N: Hi guys! I know I haven't been the most active author but I think a redo is what I needed to kickstart the story again. I hope to uplevel my writing as my skills improve so that reading my story can be the most enjoyable experience for all of you. I'll try to be more frequent with updates and such so you don't have to wait so long. (6 weeks of summer and I didn't do a single thing, smh) Thanks for reading! <3