By the Sea

The Stars

~May 21~

 

Jiyong was sitting in a large room in the Pantai Inn, butterflies fluttering in his stomach. Late morning sunlight was streaming through the curtains. The ocean was sparkling like diamonds. He was both nervous and excited. It was a warm, sunny day, and the beach looked beautiful. He was sitting alone, not sure what he was supposed to do. There was hair products and sun cream on the vanity in front of him. He was staring at his reflection. His hair was still damp from his shower, the scent of his rose shampoo lingering.

 

He was brought out of his daze when he heard a soft knock on the door.

 

“Come in.” He called out.

 

His mother walked into the room, closely followed by his father. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Excited, but still nervous. Is today really happening?” He said as he turned away from the mirror to face them.

 

She smiled lovingly at him. “It is. You’ve waited a long time for this. Do you want me to help you get ready?”

 

Jiyong nodded. “Yeah, I have no idea what to even do. My hair needs to look good and, well,” He held out his hands to show they were shaking. “I don’t know how well I can do much of anything.”

 

She put her hands on his shoulders. “Take a breath. You’ve been through scarier things, you are strong. Just breath, it’ll be alright.”

 

He took a slow breath in, held it a moment, and slowly let it out.


“Good.” She smiled. “Let’s figure this out.”

 

She began fluffing his hair, deciding where to part it. After a moment, she opened the hair gel and scooped a small glob out. She worked it between her fingers before she started running it through his hair. He closed his eyes, letting himself relax. Before he knew it, she had finished his hair. He looked over his shoulder into the mirror.

 

“Do you like that, or do you want it more up?”

 

“I like it. I need to put on moisturizer and sunscreen still. I wonder how Seunghyun’s getting on with this.”

 

“He’s probably nervous and excited like you.”

 

Jiyong smiled. “I wonder if someone helped him do his hair.”
 

His parents laughed. “If I see his mom, I’ll ask. We’ll leave so you can get dressed.”

 

His mom touched his cheek. “I’m so happy this is happening for you.”

 

He smiled up at her. “I am too.” He stood up and hugged her tightly. “Thank you.”

 

She stepped back, looking emotional. She offered one last smile before she left the room.

 

Jiyong looked at his father, still feeling some butterflies, but more relaxed after speaking with his mom.

 

“You know how proud of you we are, right?”

 

“Yeah, of course.”

 

“You’ve done amazing things, and made this life for yourself. I’m so happy that you get to share it with Seunghyun.”

 

Jiyong smiled and felt tears sting his eyes. He hugged his dad. “Thank you. That means so much.”

 

After his father left, Jiyong let out a sigh and sat down. He scanned his face in the mirror as he reached out and picked up a tube of sunscreen. He carefully smeared it onto his face and neck, making sure he didn’t mess up his hair. He patted his skin for a moment to help it soak in faster. He looked around the desk until he found the tinted moisturizer and put it on as well.

 

Jiyong stood and walked across the floor to the wardrobe, opening the doors to retrieve his tuxedo. The jacket and pants were fitted, the pants were black and the jacket a brilliant white. The shirt was a soft silk, off white button down, while the vest was a high quality black velvet. He was slowly buttoning his shirt, making sure he didn’t miss any with his shaking hands. Jiyong checked the time on his phone, 10:47. The reception would start at 11, so he pulled a small pouch off a wall hanger and took the black bowtie and a mauve pocket square out.

 

Another knock sounded through the room, much sharper this time.

 

“You ready?” It was Youngbae.

 

Jiyong strode to the door and opened it.

 

“Yes.” He smiled, suddenly feeling all the nervousness leave him. He knew that this was going to be the most perfect day in his entire life.

 

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

 

As they walked down the stairs and into the main lobby of the hotel, Jiyong saw the full extent of the guests sitting in the white chairs set up in the sand. Bae clapped his shoulder reassuringly, and left to meet the others who would be up at the altar as well. He stood in the lobby watching the pianist gather the sheet music and saw all the groomsmen getting ready to walk up. He was unsure how people would feel about him and Seunghyun walking the aisle together, but he couldn’t find the energy to care. It was their day.

 

He looked up at the lobby clock and saw that it was 11 on the dot. He looked out and saw the pianist begin to play. Daesung and the others began to walk up to the altar. He stepped out of the lobby into the shade of the awning waiting to hear the notes that would be his cue to begin walking down his aisle. When they sounded through the air Jiyong took a deep breath and stepped onto the white silk that was laid out. He saw Seunghyun standing on his fork of the aisle and felt his heart swell. They began to walk towards each other and the guests stood, turning to face them. Seunghyun was wearing a navy tux with a black waistcoat, a brighter blue bowtie and pocket square adding subtle pops of color. His hair was swept up into a pompadour style.

 

They met where the aisles converged, and Seunghyun offered his arm. Jiyong linked his arm through the elder’s and they began to walk together to the altar. They could see the faces of their friends and family smiling at them. When they reached the altar, they stepped up onto the platform with the pastor.

 

The music quieted and the guests sat down. Seunghyun smiled at Jiyong.

 

“Dearest friends and family, we have gathered today to celebrate the love shared by Seunghyun and Jiyong. On a day such as this, we hope and pray that they will have many years of happiness and light, marked with joy and love. Love is the purest feeling and it knows no bounds. It chooses you and guides you. It is the reason that we as humans bond with each other.

 

We all hunger for love and we are here to celebrate that love has found its home with them. We are here to witness this union, that will withstand the test of time, and will thrive even in the toughest of times. I’ve been told that you’ve prepared your own vows. Jiyong, would you please begin.”

 

The tattooed man took a steadying breath. “Seunghyun, we’ve known each other for years, and we’ve seen each other through pretty much anything that this life can throw at us. We have always been there for each other, through family disasters and past relationships that didn’t work. You’ve taught me to be resilient and kind. You showed me how to laugh and love without caring what anyone has to say about it. I promise you that I will never mistrust you, that I will always be your best friend and to be there when you need me most. I’ve loved you since I was 12 years old, and I am so honored that I get to spend the rest of my crazy life with you.”

 

Seunghyun smiled. “Ji Ji,” the guests chucked as Jiyong rolled his eyes playfully, a smile on his face. “Everything I am, I owe to you. You gave me courage, you taught me the beauty in getting lost in laughter. You taught me how to believe in myself and helped me when I’ve felt my lowest. When you told me how you really felt, I thought I was on top of the world. We found a second home and we’ve made so many amazing memories. I remember, it was only a few nights after getting settled into the house here, you told me your mom used to tell you that your dreams were stars. You said you felt like dreams had died because there seemed to be less stars in the sky. They didn’t die, they went into you and came true. You glow everytime we’re on stage, and whenever you laugh. You’ve brought that starlight into our lives and helped me become a better person. When you were in the hospital and I thought I would lose you, I read to you and talked to you, and you came back to me, so we could be here today. I promise you that I will do whatever I can to make you laugh, and I will love you until I die, and probably even longer. I will never stop believing in you, and I will always lift you up. You mean everything to me, and I am the luckiest man on the earth because I get to call you mine.”

 

Jiyong blinked a tear away and looked at the pastor. “I’d like to say something else.”

 

He nodded and Jiyong looked back at his lover. “I don’t know why I suddenly remember this, because I don’t know where I heard it, maybe when you stayed with me in the hospital. If I thought for just one moment that this would be my last breath, I’d tell you I’ll love you forever, even beyond death. If I thought for just one moment that your face would be the last I’d see, I’d take a million pictures and save them just for me.If I thought for just one moment that your voice would be the last I’d hear, I’d listen attentively and promise not to shed a tear. If I thought for just one moment that your touch would be the last I’d feel, I’d embrace you and know that this has all been real. If I thought for just one moment that my heart would beat its last beat, I’d thank the Lord for allowing us to meet. This poem has bounced around my head, but I never knew why, until now. Because it’s perfect for us.”

 

Seunghyun looked completely shocked, but he smiled.

 

The pastor was smiling as well. “That was a lovely poem, and I do believe that it was meant to be heard by everyone here today.” He looked at Jiyong. “Do you Jiyong choose Seunghyun to be your partner in life, to support and respect him in his successes and as well as his failures, to care for him in sickness and in health, to nurture him, and to grow with him throughout the seasons of your life together?”

 

“I do.” Jiyong slid a thick silver band onto Seunghyun’s left ring finger.

 

The pastor turned his head to Seunghyun. “Do you Seunghyun choose Jiyong to be your partner in life, to support and respect him in his successes and as well as his failures, to care for him in sickness and in health, to nurture him, and to grow with him throughout the seasons of your life together?”

 

Seunghyun smiled. “I do.” He slid the silver and gold braided band he proposed with onto Jiyong’s ring finger.

 

“By the power granted to me by the State of California, I now pronounce you equal partners in marriage. You may seal your vows of marriage with a kiss.”

 

Seunghyun pulled Jiyong closer and kissed him softly. People began clapping and they pulled away from each other, turning to their guests beaming.

 

They clasped hands and walked back up the aisle as the guests continued their applause. People gasped when bubbles and Pale Swallowtail butterflies were released from behind the altar, flying gracefully over everyone’s heads.

 

            ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

 

Jiyong and Seunghyun were standing alone in a small room next to the reception hall. Seunghyun was watching to see when everyone had been seated for them to enter the hall for their first dance as a married couple. When he saw the majority of the lights dim, he knew that it was time, he turned to Jiyong and held out his hand.

 

Jiyong took his hand and and they walked into the darkened reception hall. They strode to the illuminated dance floor as the song Seunghyun chose began. Jiyong had told the elder that he wanted to be surprised what song they would share their first dance to.

 

When I look into your eyes,

It’s like watching the night sky,

Or a beautiful sunrise...

 

Jiyong felt tears spring to his eyes. He hadn’t even thought of I Won’t Give Up as something to dance to. The first words of the song brought so many feelings to the surface, he understood exactly why Seunghyun chose it.

 

And just like them old stars

I see that you’ve come so far,

To be right where you are

How old is your soul?

 

Jiyong smiled as he was swaying and slowly spinning with Seunghyun on the dance floor.

 

I won’t give up on us

Even if the skies get rough

I’m giving you all my love

I’m still looking up

 

The younger laid his head against Seunghyun’s chest, feeling the elder’s arms wrap around him tighter. He closed his eyes, knowing he was about to cry.

 

Cos even the stars they burn

Some even fall to the earth

We got a lot to learn

God knows we’re worth it

 

They kept slow dancing until the song ended and the rest of the lights came on. When Jiyong stepped back from Seunghyun, he smiled and kissed him, causing their guests to laugh and clap. When they looked out at their loved ones, they saw many people had teared up at the song as well.

 

They smiled as they walked to their table and sat down, between both pairs of their parents. People began to talk as the wait staff came out and began to serve the lunch. They’d decided on herb roasted chicken or filet mignon, mashed potatoes, fresh asparagus, and salads for the menu, paired with an expensive rosé champagne.

 

When most people had eaten, Seunghyun’s father stood up and tapped a fork against his glass. The room quieted and everyone was watching him.

 

“I asked my son if he’d allow me a few words today, as the best man also has some things to say, so I’ll be brief. I raised my son to be successful, to go after what he wants in life. But I was also strict with him, and I admit I sometimes felt disappointed in some things he did when I shouldn’t have been. I was almost guilty of putting the same pressure on him that my father put on me. And I let my father's ideals take over when he told me that he had begun dating Jiyong, who I have known for years because they’ve been friends since they were children. I felt disappointment because our country still has a negative view of a relationship like theirs, I didn’t let myself feel the pride a father should feel when his child has found their soulmate. I didn’t talk to him very much when they began seeing each other, and it hurt me, but more importantly, I hurt him. I am proud of my son, and my son-in-law for all they’ve accomplished.” He turned to look at the pair. “I am sorry I let my father speak through me. I am so happy you have each other, and I know that what you’ve been through has made your bond invincible.” He raised his glass, as did everyone else to take a drink.

 

Youngbae stood once Seunghyun’s father sat down. “Well, that was a great way to begin talking about them, I think. I agree that the things they’ve been through have made them stronger and shown just how deeply they love each other. We all felt the panic and fear when Jiyong was hurt last year, but none felt it as intensely as Ji’s parents, sister, and Seunghyun. No one left him, and Seunghyun was adamant that Jiyong was still with us, even when the doctor’s wanted to give up. I’ve been friends with them both for years, and I waited almost the entire time for them to get together, as did Daesung and Seungri. We could all see what they shared, but they were oblivious to it. I remember the first time Jiyong told me he loved Seunghyun, I wasn’t surprised. I asked him if he was going to say anything. He said he couldn’t, we’d only just debuted, so he was scared that he’d get in trouble. He tortured himself for years. In the end their hearts won, and I think everyone here agrees that that is the best thing.” Some people nodded at his words.

 

“Let me tell you something about Jiyong; he’s a workaholic. Shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone here considering how well he’s done. Whenever we’re recording new music, sometimes we mess around in the studio. We’ll play random sounds into the headphones of whoever is doing their lines, or start making jokes to try and make them laugh, but Ji never cracks. Unless Seunghyun is the one talking to him. He just has to say his name and then Ji smiles like a fool. They balance each other out, Seunghyun is kind of goofy, he likes to make sure people are smiling and having a good time, while Jiyong can be too serious sometimes. They are exactly what the other needs. I am so happy to see my closest friends find this life together, and I am so proud of them for having the courage to be together despite what the world could say. Let’s wish them many happy years together!”

 

Youngbae raised his glass as well, the guests following suit and everyone drank again. Seunghyun grabbed Jiyong’s hand and pulled him to stand up. The room quieted from the light chatter about both speeches.
 

“I think it’s time for cake, don’t you?” The elder asked.

 

A few people cheered loudly, while everyone else agreed. Seunghyun lead Jiyong around the table to the edge of the dance floor to stand beside a table of plates, where they stopped to wait for a waiter to wheel the cake out of the kitchen, where it had been keeping cool in the fridge.

 

The doors were pushed open, and when everyone saw the cake, they gasped. It was quite a display; a four tier cake, the top most layer was pure white, and each layer underneath slowly transitioned to a dusty mauve. It was covered in buttercream gardenias and calla lilies, edible pearls, and edible silver and light pink glitter. There were a few smaller cakes surrounding it, decorated similarly. On the top of the large cake was a pristine glass topper, laser etched to say “true love,” and the words were a frosted glass so they could be easily read.

 

The waiter stopped the cart in front of them and hurried out of the way of the photographer. Jiyong turned to the table behind them and picked up a large stainless steel knife. When he faced the cake again, he put his arm towards Seunghyun so they could cut it together.

 

After they put their slice onto a plate, Seunghyun picked up a fork and fed Jiyong a small bite, then handed him the fork so the younger could do the same. People cheered when Jiyong scooped some frosting onto his finger and smeared it on the elder’s face. Seunghyun put the plate down, grabbed Jiyong and smeared his cheek against Ji’s, transfering a lot of the frosting back to him. They were both smiling and laughing as they stepped away from the cake with their plate so the waiter could begin to serve it to their guests. The rest of the afternoon was spent dancing and laughing.


 

            ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

 

~3 days later~

 

The sun was setting over the ocean, casting a magenta hue over the water and sand. Seunghyun and Jiyong were walking hand in hand down the beach, back to the Halekulani Hotel. Jiyong stopped walking and looked out at the water, breathing in the scent of the ocean air. Seunghyun put his arm around his shoulders and enjoyed the moment with him. The elder was surprised when Jiyong suddenly stepped away from him, a mischievous smile ghosting his lips.

 

“Tag!” He said before dashing down the beach, his musical laughter ringing through the air.

 

Seunghyun chased after him, laughing as well. He caught up to him where the water kissed the sand, and scooped him up in his arms, spinning around as he kissed him.

 

“You’re it.”

 

                    ~The End~

 

Wow, what a journey this story has been. I have always apologized for the delays and inconsistent updates, but I finally finished it! And I have to say, I don’t know if I would’ve loved my last chapter as much as I do if I had written it years ago. This chapter is extra long as I wanted to have The Stars go out with a bang, and I’ve chickened out of writing proper ending chapters (and weddings) in the past, so I worked really hard to make this a good ending. For anyone who has stuck with this story for the duration of my writing it (gods I started it towards the end of 2015) thank you for coming on the journey with me, everyone who left me kind words and favorites/kudos and subscribed to me or the story, I really appreciate you taking the time to communicate with me. It always means the world to me when people let me know what they thought, I love interacting with my readers. And for anyone who may read this in the future, I hope you enjoyed reading it. This story was a beast for me, it’s the longest thing I’ve ever written and I am grateful that I had readers to support it, as well as my mother putting up with my craziness trying to figure stuff out. The next time I post a chaptered story, it will be written out entirely before I post any of it so I don’t drag it out for 3+ years. I love you guys, thank you for giving The Stars a chance!

 

**Song they danced to is I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz if you haven’t heard it. It’s a beautiful song, and when I was trying to think of a good song for them, I listened to this and knew it was perfect. Poem (you may recognize from ch. 20) is If I Thought by Dana Schwartz. I’ll update here in a few days with a link to the post on my IG because I decided I wanted to draw up (loose sketches, nothing too fancy) the reception, and them with the butterflies and bubbles behind them.

 

<3 <3