Chapter 9: So This is Heartache

Corrupted Passion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 9 So This is Heartache

 

The greatest pain of all, heartache for no pain can match it, not even a physical pain and damage. This emotional pain called heartache. It can be felt when someone feels excessive affection or adoration, and can also be felt when being rejected. Either way, heartache can be both good and a bad thing.

 

Exhausted from the study camp, Jessica lazily dragged her baggage on the way to her room as she’s longing for her soft and bouncy bed and not the Japanese futon bed that gave her a back pain. Inside her room there’s her younger sister, standing by the opened windows and swaying curtains, viewing the outside world in peace.

 

“Krystal? Is that really you?” Jessica’s once half-closed eyes has gone wide because of seeing her sister whom she hasn’t seen for years.

 

“Yah! You sound like you’ve seen a ghost!” Krystal playfully threw a pillow into her sister’s stressed face and laughed loud at her looks. Opening wide her arms, she said with a full smile, “Did you miss me?”

  

Jessica let go of her heavy baggage and rushed to her sister for a tight embrace, which she definitely needs at this point in time. “I miss you Soojung! Sorry if your unnie wasn’t able to call you these past few days.”

 

Krystal returned her embrace with a bear hug and said, “It’s alright unnie, don’t mind about it. Yuri-unnie told me that you were at the study camp and you’re not allowed to use phones so I completely understand it. Also, what happened to you? What’s with those scratches?”

 

Krystal eventually let go of her sister as she let her seat on her bedside. Following her, she also sat beside her as there is a loud sigh of stressed coming out from Jessica. At first, Jessica thought of not telling it to anyone, but if it’s Krystal, then she thought that she should be fine opening up to her.

 

“I slipped down a cliff…” Jessica started off.

 

“What?” Krystal immediately reacted.

 

“Let me finish first.” Jessica glared. “I slipped down a cliff because I had to save my homeroom teacher. She’s so clumsy and careless with her actions that I had to jump off the cliff for her.”

 

“Oh my…” Krystal gasped as she covered with hands from the shock and said, “Unnie, did you just say you saved someone? I’m not dreaming, right?”

 

“Why, is it weird?” Jessica asked.

 

“Of course it is! I mean Jess, you never cared for anyone before except from me! When we were younger you just watch people in danger without helping them out. You don’t even care if you make a kid cry before and you don’t even care if an old man begs food from you. What happened to you? What have you eaten while I was away? Are you dreaming? Are you drunk the whole time or something?” Krystal rapidly interrogated her sister with a shake at her shoulders.

 

When there was no response from her frowning and dumbfounded sister, Krystal’s worry grew larger. She has never seen her sister on such a state where she can’t utter any of her usual curses and cussing instead those were replaced with a silence.

 

“Tiffany Hwang.” Krystal attempted to mention a name out of nowhere to see if there’s a change of expression from her sister and there it happened, Jessica rose her lowered head up to gaze at her sister. “So it’s your homeroom teacher that you saved who’s troubling you.”

 

“How did you know about her? I never mentioned her name before to you.”

 

Krystal stood up and got the overused notebook on her study table, showing the doodled name on a page. “This, I saw her name in your note. I thought it’s unusual for you to be jotting down someone else’s name. Jess, tell me, are you in love with your teacher? Do you like her?”

 

“Hey! Give me that!” Jessica blushed as she snatched back her notebook away from her grinning with tease sister. Whining, Jessica pleaded, “Can we not just talk about her? I’m already done with my mess with that woman. I cleared everything up and there’s nothing to talk about.  She’s a good person and an ideal educator; let’s not dig into her private life anymore. I just want to graduate and get my diploma from that school. That’s all.”

 

“Okay, if that’s what you really want. I won’t ask more of her.” Krystal said that but eyed on her sister who desperately tried to avoid the topic regarding Tiffany.

 

“Besides, I don't know what it means to be in love. I don't know anything about that so let's not talk about it anymore.” Jessica frowned while staring at Tiffany's name on her note.

 

Days, Weeks and later months passed quick since the end of study camp, since the day Jessica ended everything that connects her with Tiffany. Within those days that passed, Jessica solely focused herself with her studies, and visits Krystal at night on her rented apartment. She didn’t let herself be distracted of the underground businesses and works of their mafia association, though she can hear her underlings talking about some of their men being captured by the authorities. Wanting to have the leader position, Jessica chewed her pride in and continues to mingle with the good world of students.

 

On the other hand, there’s Tiffany whose marriage is approaching fast as the preparations are going smoothly with the help of their friends and her fiancé himself. Their marriage talks and preparations are being held during weekends, but her mind is not with it, her soul is not in peace and her heart is rumbling. Feelings are in confusion and emotions are unsteady for Tiffany is only forcing herself to comprehend herself that’s not in one piece. Through the days and weeks that passed, it was evident that Jessica used formalities and respect to her as a teacher, not as someone with the same age. Therefore, Tiffany concluded that Jessica started to distance herself away from her since the study camp.

 

“Ms. Hwang, I’m so proud of you!” A fellow teacher tapped the spacing out teacher on her table.

 

“Excuse me?” Tiffany looked up.

 

“It’s your student Jessica Jung! She’s doing great with her studies since the end of study camp! She changed a lot since then.” He praised.

 

Then another teacher butted in and said, “Right! Her exam scores aren’t that high as our top students but at least there are improvements in her. Though she doesn’t participate much in recitations, she’s often seen jotting down our lessons.”

 

“She’s still quiet though and doesn’t make a lot of friends. Nevertheless, Jessica changed a lot. I never thought that the study camp will be such a big help to her. I’m glad we conducted it.” The principal joined the conversation and applauded at Tiffany’s success of educating Jessica properly.

 

No one knows what really happened and what they talked about the time they were down the cliff, and so Tiffany just awkwardly returned the favor with her eye smile. Behind her smiles is a pain, a heartache that she couldn’t understand. Excusing herself, Tiffany went to the comfort room to breathe out her skipping heartbeat and heartache.

 

“Nothing happened, huh?” Tiffany sighed, looking at her reflection through the mirror. “Tiffany Hwang, please. What’s happening to you? She already said nothing happened. You should be happy and glad because you can marry Khun with lesser guilt now and be proud as a teacher because you changed the rebellious Jessica. But why do I still feel the same? Tiffany, please pull yourself together!”

 

The school bell ringing for the next class interrupted her trail of thoughts. Acting like perfectly fine, Tiffany continued on beaming her eye smile to everyone, even to Nichkhun whose worries are slowly fading away because of Tiffany’s constant cooperation with the wedding preparations. But beyond his knowledge, Tiffany is just actually forcing her confused self with it.

 

“Fany, sorry but I can’t walk you back home today. I was suddenly asked to coach the basketball team for their practice today. The head coach can’t seem to attend the practice today.” Nichkhun said apologetic to his fiancé patiently waiting for his by the school gate.

 

“I see. Well, there’s nothing we can do about it. It’s alright. I’ll call you once I arrive back home.” Tiffany said.

 

Nichkhun leaned forward to kiss his fiance. He intended to make their kiss longer, hoping that Tiffany would return it back but it didn't come. Though she accepted the kiss, Tiffany didn't feel anything and when he tried to make their kiss deeper, she pulled back in disgust which disappointed Nichkhun.

 

“I t-think you should go back inside. The team is waiting for you.” Tiffany awkwardly smiled and the man jogged back inside the school campus, upset.

 

“Hi. By any chance, are you Tiffany Hwang?”

 

Tiffany turned around at an unfamiliar voice, a foreign voice with an American accent like hers whenever she speaks English. Gazing at the chic woman, Tiffany awkwardly nodded her head and formally bowed down to her. “Y-yeah. How may I help you?” She then asked.

 

“Oh, sorry for the late introduction, I’m Krystal Jung, Jessica’s younger sister.” Krystal formally introduced. “So this is Tiffany Hwang that changed my sister. Not bad.” She thought.

 

Tiffany can see clearly how Krystal is glaring at her from head to toes and shivered from her sharp and severe gazes. “Excuse me but what it is that you need from me?”

 

“Can I call you unnie?” Krystal asked and the teacher nodded slowly. “Okay, so Tiffany-unnie, do you have some time right now? Can we talk? I know a café somewhere near the shop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter