Chapter 18: Brand New Days

Corrupted Passion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 18 Brand New Days

 

One cannot achieve ultimate happiness if they didn’t suffer from ultimate sadness first. It’s just like when a person cannot achieve its ultimate goal without struggling along the way. And in this way, people come across pain, agonies, and losses in between joys, fulfillment and sufferings. However, along their way to the top, there will always be that one person who will never give up on them, believing in them through thick and thin, ups and downs and through darkness and lightness.

 

In the middle of nowhere of a dark blank space, Jessica found herself standing alone in there. She wondered her eyes around and soon realized it's useless for everything is in pure and nothing but dark. One step forward and her footprints create a light then a pathway leading her into a one spot of light that appeared ahead of her. She decided to follow this path and by the time she reached and touched this one little spot of light, it spread throughout the darkness behind her and perceived the people who have been fighting alongside on her journey. Krystal, Yoona and most of all her lover Tiffany, all of them are smiling to her with their hands stretching over asking her to go along with them.

 

“It's bright isn’t it?”

 

Jessica heard this voice just right behind her back. Recognizing whose voice it is, she smiled and said, “Yeah. But it would be brighter if you're in it.”

 

“It can’t be help. I did my job and I’ve done my part. The rest is up to you.” The voice chuckled. “Go. You have to wake up from this dream now. You don’t belong here. Tiffany has been waiting for you. Take care of her, okay?”

 

“Don't worry. I will. It's a promise.”

 

When this voice's arms wrapped around Jessica’s shoulders, everything turned so bright until she couldn’t see anything. The next thing she knew is that she’s at present staring up the white ceiling of her hospital room. By the bedside is Tiffany napping soundly with her hand intertwined on hers and only her respirator attached can be heard beeping into the silence occupying the room. Then she looked out through the closed windows and meets up with the bright rays of the sun beaming up high the clear blue sky.

 

“Hey…” Jessica speaks out from her oxygen mask.

 

Tiffany eventually woke up from her deep sleep because of a weak and light tap at the back of her head. Meeting Jessica for the first time since the end of war, she immediately got up on her seat to kiss her on her forehead and greeted, “Good morning.”

 

“Can you please get this mask off my face? It's annoying.” Jessica complained at once as she growled in irritation.

 

Tiffany cackled at her attitude, “Okay, okay. I'll go call the doctor. Seriously, you just woke up and you're already complaining. You could just at least greet me back first or something.” She then demanded.

 

“That’s why I'm asking you to get this mask off so that I can give you a morning kiss. How can I kiss you if this thing is on my face? Why can't you get it? I even needed to explain myself and now I'm embarrassed.” Jessica blushed from her own cheesiness and looked away ashamed of herself.

 

Tiffany furiously flushed in redness because of her unusual straightforwardness. She was taken aback and couldn’t find a comeback answer to her words and she just walked out of the room wordless. “What the… did she hit her head or something during the war? What has gotten into her? Getting all so cheesy and blunt out of the blue…” She thought as she walks with heavy steps.

 

“Huh, unnie.” Krystal happened to pass by Tiffany on her way to the nurses' station. “Why are you out here? Is Jess awake already?”

 

“Yeah. Actually she just regained her consciousness. I'm about to inform the staff about it. How about you? I thought you'll be at the university until this afternoon.” Tiffany asked.

 

“Sudden change of schedules.” Krystal replied short. “Can I go see her now? I still need to tell her the facts about what happened after that war. You know about it, don’t you unnie?”

 

Tiffany nodded, “Leo told me everything yesterday, from my punishments to Jessica’s consequences and about how the public reacted on it. The head director also called me about it this early morning.”

 

“Aren’t you frustrated?” Krystal questioned as she noticed Tiffany’s unchanged expression despite of knowing the facts of their doings.

 

“I am. Of course I am. I'm so frustrated that I cried beside Jessica the whole night but thank God she didn’t see me because she was still unconscious that time. But it already happened and what’s done is done. I don’t want to stress over it anymore. If Jess sees me getting all so depressed and frustrated, she might misunderstood me and she might think I regret loving her. I don’t want her to think that way so let’s just get over it.” Tiffany showed her eye smile and stayed as strong as before.

 

They parted ways as Tiffany forwarded to her destination while Krystal walked straight to her sister’s room. Jessica is trying to remove the oxygen mask by herself when Krystal entered the room and caught her doing so. Knowing that her sister is hard-headed and has a short temper, Krystal just laughed at her movements but made a strong tap by her shoulders for her to stop her unsupervised acts.

 

“Where's Tiffany? What’s taking her so long?” Jessica again grumbled and put back the mask on her face.

 

“What do you expect unnie? She just went out, are you expecting her to come back in a second like superman?” Krystal raised an eyebrow. “In any case, I'm glad you're awake. You’re asleep for two days straight. You definitely missed a lot of things because you’re such a sleepyhead.”

 

“So, what happened while I was asleep? Did something bad happen? Am I doomed?” Jessica asked in one breathing, anxious of whatever she might hear from her vexed sister.

 

Krystal carefully held her sister’s hand and asked, “Do you want to know?” Jessica nodded and so Krystal said, “Unfortunately, as of yesterday you’re officially expelled at school. You won't graduate. The head director was also suspended for a month because of hiding your fake profile to the school. The only good thing is that our identity as a mafia wasn’t made in public. Thanks to Tiffany-unnie’s brother, we were just considered as a victim of the mafias and that you were just a mere hostage during the mafia war. Also thanks to him, the case was closed and we're free from all suspicions. As for Nichkhun, his dead body was found yesterday and their family decided to do the funeral today. Tiffany-unnie made an effort to visit his family but she was shoved away. I guess they hated her for what happened to Nichkhun. As for Yuri-unnie's and the boss' funeral, we still have to decide on that soon.”

 

“How about Tiffany, what will happen to her?”

 

“Well…” Krystal hesitated to speak up for a while but when Jessica gripped tight on her hand, she was forced to say, “Her teaching license was taken away. Therefore, she can’t teach and can’t serve as an educator to any schools anymore. The board of education decided on that and her brother can’t do anything about it either. It’s out of his control though he pleaded.”

 

“No way…” Jessica grimaced. “It's my fault, isn’t it? I dragged everyone down. I pulled them down with me. I caused everyone a trouble and hurt them.”

 

“Don't say that Jess. Let me tell you too, it was Tiffany-unnie herself who told the public that she’s in a relationship with you. The board gave her a chance to explain herself to them and gave her a chance to regain her honor as a teacher back with one condition. That condition was to break up with you and forget about you or send you away from her but she strongly refused to that. Well, that's what Yoona-unnie told me because she was present during the school's meeting.”

 

Krystal observed her sister turned speechless from the revelation and results of her love with Tiffany. Indeed, the feeling of carrying all the blame can cause an emotional breakdown and the feeling of being chosen over Tiffany’s passion can also be a great burden to Jessica. The clan was annihilated because of her, the boss and father died because of her, Yuri died because of her and now Tiffany lost her passion as a teacher because of her. These things all rumbled into her fragile mind and body and just let her tears come out automatically from her eyes.  

 

Tiffany came back with the nurses for assistance and a doctor to check on her. She has seen how her lover’s eyes became so red and swollen from crying then she averted her gazes from her to the younger Jung, eyeing on her sadly. Tiffany decided to watch from a corner while the doctor is talking to Jessica but not attentively listening to whatever he's blabbering about.

 

“It seems like there’s no sign of any internal damages. It’s only that her wound needs to be properly checked and cleaned from time to time. I can assure you that she's safe now and she can be discharged after a day as long as she can show some physical improvements.” The doctor said to the once spaced out Tiffany who was startled with his opening remarks.

 

“Oh, okay. Thank you very much.” Tiffany bowed down and the doctor and nurses left after removing the cause of Jessica’s annoyance.

 

“I'm sure you’re hungry unnie. I'll go look for some foods.” Krystal excused herself to give the two enough time to talk about their situation.

 

Jessica struggled as she sat up on her bed. But with Tiffany’s immediate reaction to help her up, her struggles didn’t last long. Jessica fails to get the courage of making eye contact to Tiffany whose deep stares are fixed on her as she sits beside her on the bed. Jessica clenched her fists under her blanket which was observed by Tiffany as it trembles in tightness.

 

“I'm sorry Tiffany.” Jessica apologized as she breaks out the silence. “I'm so sorry. Krystal told me everything. It's because of me, you—“

 

Jessica was cut off with her drama when a pair of lips brushed against her dry pair. “You're unfair Jess. You said you're going to give me a morning kiss once they'll remove your oxygen mask.” She pouted, sulking over the broken words.

 

Jessica blinked her eyes a couple of times, unable to comprehend how Tiffany reacted to her serious apologies as she finally looked her in the eyes. Tiffany gave her an eye smile while Jessica gave her a confused one then she topped her hands onto Jessica’ trembling fists under the blanket.

 

“I'm being serious.” Jessica tried bringing back the topic but this time she was shut up with Tiffany’s index finger dipped vertically on her lips.

 

“Can we not talk about it anymore?” Tiffany kept on with her eye smile. “You know, I made up my choice and decided on my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter