Mom & Dad

STEPHANIE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9. Mom & Dad

Taeyeon practically bolted out of the car. Almost tripped over in her run for her daughter  if I hadn't held her by the arm and reminded her to slow down. She worried about Stephanie so much she forgot about her current condition.

She gripped my arm as we walked past the vegetables field and chicken farm. There was this big farming house in front of us, with dim light shone from the windows. Dogs barked as we got closer and I wondered what had brought my daughter here, miles away from home.

“The owner found Stephanie in one of the hydroponic huts. He then noticed the nearest police station.” Bambam skipped pleasantries and led us straight into the house. “She doesn't talk much. But the owner said he recognize Stephanie from her school visit sometime ago.”

And there she was, our daughter, sitting on a wooden crate. She had a tin mug in her hand and a blanket around her narrow shoulders. Her hair in a mess and her gaze lowered to the floor.

Taeyeon rushed to her side, saying nothing and went straight to envelope our girl in a tight hug. She kissed Stephanie's cheek before buried her face on the girl's shoulder, evidently crying.

Stephanie cried too. The mug was shaking in her trembling hand so I took it from her. It was half full with hot tea.

In cold day like this I knew Stephanie prefers hot cocoa than tea. But I guessed she couldn't just get the same treat she usually gets at home here.

I put the mug on a table near by then slipped my hands into my coat's pocked. I really wanted to join the hug. My hands ached to comfort them, my wife and my daughter. But I was also a little angry at the moment, so I decided to hold back.

“Let's go home, baby.” Taeyeon pleaded. “Come with us.”

“I've got a job.” Stephanie's said in a hoarse voice. “Uncle Ilkook promised I can help in his garden.” She pointed at the owner of the farm.

“Good.” Taeyeon smiled, leveling their gaze. “But why would you want a job, sweetheart? You have us.”

“I will pay for my food & clothes. I'll work hard. Please keep me.”

Her words were confusing me. I stared at Stephanie blankly.

“I can quit school and help taking care of the baby too. I won't be a burden.”

“Baby? What baby?” Taeyeon stood up, seemed as confused as me.

“Your baby.” Stephanie pointed at Taeyeon's stomach “Kwon baby.”

“Kwon baby? You meant our baby? Steph. There's no baby. What-”

“Taeyeon, I believe Stephanie thinks you are pregnant because she saw you throwing up yesterday.” It finally dawned on me, the silly reason behind all this chaos.

“Really, Steph? Is that why you run out of the house?” My wife looked at our daughter in disbelief. “I'm not pregnant. It's a bad case of food poisoning. I ate this suspicious taco while working night shift the night before. You know how I have a weak stomach, don't you?”

I couldn't really blame Stephanie for thinking so. She was just a kid and she had a traumatic experience before. But this kind of distrust she had on us had to be completely vanished soon. I needed to put my foot down.

“ I wasn't running out. I was looking for job but nobody wants to hire me in town.” Her lips trembled now. “I planned to go back once I get a job but it rained and there was no more bus.”

“You know, Stephanie. I think I've had enough of this.” I stared the young girl down. “You left house without permission because you are afraid that we won't keep you any longer once we have a baby? How silly is that?”

“If I had asked for permission, you guys wouldn't let me go.”

“That's the point, Stephanie Kwon Miyoung!” I couldn't help the rising of my voice. “Had you talk to us first, we would have explained the truth to you. If you put just a little trust on us, this craziness wouldn't happen in the first place.”

“Ji...” Taeyeon held my arm, trying to stop me, but I ignored her.

“Do you have any idea how worried we were? Do you know that Taeyeon has put her health in danger just to find you? She can barely stand, Stephanie, but she runs for you.”

I saw new tears on the corner of Stephanie's eyes. I looked away. I cared for my daughter but I had to teach her a lesson or two about trust.

“We've tried so hard to show you how much you mean for us. We've given you all the love and attention we could give. Have we not done enough?”

“I didn't... It's not...” Stephanie's pleading eyes mirroring utter sadness but I decided to pull through.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter