Kwon Jiyong

STEPHANIE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 10. Kwon Jiyong.

Stephanie wasn't the valedictorian of her school nor the number one in her class. Yet our daughter's graduation day was the day when I felt most proud of her achievement. She was all smile as she received her middle school diploma and I believed that us, her parents, were also beamed as bright.

“Your graduation gift.”We were in the car, ready to bring the diploma home after a celebration at Stephanie's favorite fast food restaurant. I held three envelopes over my shoulder, eyeing our daughter who sat in the back seat from the rear view mirror. “Choose one.”

“Choose one?” She leaned between the front seats, looking at the envelopes. “Why can't I have them all?”

“Don't be greedy.” I swatted her head with the envelopes and she stuck her tongue at me. Stephanie had changed so much over the last two years. She had gotten more and more talkative, happier and brighter.

“What are they?”

“We're not telling.” Taeyeon answered, turning a little to stuck her tongue at her daughter before focusing back on driving. “Now pick.”

“Oh come on.” Stephanie flopped back onto the leather seat, taking the envelopes with her. “The light blue one is definitely mom's idea. So... hmmm... shopping voucher, right?”

Taeyeon grinned at me.

“The yellow one is Dad's for sure.” She leaned forward again. “You can either be extra creative or plain boring, Dad. A trip to the museum or a concert ticket, right? Riiiiight? Oh God, please let it be TVXQ's concert!”

It was my turn to grin at my wife.

“The pink one is totally a trap. You guys expect me to choose it so there might be nothing but a one thousand Wons bill in it.”

She looked at me first before turning to look at Taeyeon then came back to the her seat with a huff, leaving us laughing at her antics.

“Aaaargh. Help me choose!”

“Follow your heart, dear.” Taeyeon suggested.

Stephanie sat in silence for a while, staring down at the envelopes on her lap.

“Well, since I can't choose between you guys. I'll pick pink.”

“Careful.” I commented, turning on my seat to look at her anxious face. “It might be nothing but a one thousand wons bill.”

“Never mind.” She sighed, tearing the envelope. “I still can buy something with the money.”

I watched as she pulled the thin card out of the pink envelope. Her expression drastically changed as she started to read into the writing on the card I had designed myself.

“A trip... to... Paris... Paris!” A smile morphed into a wide grin on her face. “A trip to Paris! You guys gift me a trip to Paris? Is this a joke?”

“Nope.” I laughed. “We're going to Paris. But we'll be doing it backpacker style, no luxurious accommodation and such. Lower your expectation.”

“Lower my expectation?” My daughter looked at me like I had grown a second head before grinning like maniac. “I didn't even expect this. I'm going to Paris. I'm going to Paris!!!” She stuck her head out of the car window and screamed.

“Manner. Miss Kwon.” Taeyeon warned her daughter with a smile on her face.

“Right. Sorry.” Stephanie sat back on her seat. “Thank you Mom. I love you soooo much.” She wounded her hands around Taeyeon's from behind the driver seat, kissing her mother on the cheek.

“Of course, thank your mom only.” I pouted, shrugging my shoulders. “It's not like I'm the one who comes up with this idea. Go on, pretend your dad doesn't exist.”

Taeyeon laughed. Stephanie too.

“You know I love you too.” Stephanie gave me a quick peck. “You are the best daddy in the world.”

“Agreed.” Taeyeon leaned over to also give me a quick peck. “Awesome Daddy Ji.”

I grinned.

“We'll need to work harder for that college tuition saving.” I gazed away as we walked hand in hand in the neo-renaissance building of Musée Galliera Paris. After visiting almost every public attraction available in Paris, we decided to spent our last day here by visiting Musée de la Mode de la Ville de Paris, a fashion museum.

Taeyeon smiled, tightening her hold of my hand. “Totally worth it Ji. Look at her.” She pointed at our daughter who walked a few meters in front of us.

Stephanie was currently listening to the tour guide intently. Her eyes shone bright as she asked questions here and there, marveling at the current exhibition titled Anatomy of A collection which displayed selection of garments with historical associations

“I have a high hope you know?” I came closer to a Plexiglas box that had a Marie Antoinette's corset displayed in it. “Someday I will build my own fashion brand and work with Stephanie to introduce it to the world.”

“It will be great.” Taeyeon leaned on my shoulder. “With your talent and our daughter's spirit, nothing can go wrong.”

I kissed Taeyeon's temple, forever thankful for her support despite her lack of interest toward fashion business in general.

“Mom... come here.” Stephanie came and tugged at my wife's hand. “They displayed Audrey Hepburn's dress there. You know Audrey Hepburn's right?” She whispered to her mother.

“Of course I know her.” My wife chuckled, walking away with my daughter after giving me a wink. “Breakfast At Tiffany's. Your father semi-forced me to watch the movie with him on one of our dates.”

I chuckled too, happy to see my girls happy.

“Don't work too hard.” A hand of milky white skin set a mug of hot cocoa on my desk. Then soft lips landed on my cheek, giving me this much needed mood booster kiss to get me through the hardworking night.

I my seat to hug her waist. She looked sharp with her white

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter