Hello Tiffany

STEPHANIE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11. Hello Tiffany.

“You're into boy group these days?” I sat on the couch beside my wife. Her eyes were trained on the TV screen where five young boys with baggy clothes currently dancing in impossible synchronization to the music.

“No.” She shook her head, handing me the remote. “I just noticed someone I know.”

“Really? Who?” Leaning over to see better, my eyes caught sight of this tall boy with ugly haircut on screen. Words came out of his mouth in unbelievable speed as he rapped to the melody. I immediately recognized the narrow face and the sharp gaze. “Isn't he the boy who brought booze to Stephanie's birthday party last year? The one that I almost stabbed in the eyes with my pencil?”

“His friend was the one who had brought the beer. This boy, Choi Seunghyun was proven innocence.”

“I don't care. Bad influence.” I started channel browsing for a better thing to watch. “Good thing he's a superstar now. At least he'll be too busy to bother our daughter.”

“Someone not being around doesn't necessarily mean no longer has any influence.” Taeyeon rested her head on my shoulder. “Don't you notice that Stephanie has been spending more time in her room these days?”

“Yeah. She has been preparing for her exam right?”

“Men can be so clueless sometimes.” Her fingers traced my bicep. “Don't you know our daughter cries herself to sleep so many nights lately? She eats less and zones out often too these days. I think this rapper boy you love to hate is the cause of it all.”

“What?” I gawked at my wife, nearly gave myself a whiplash from turning my head too fast. “What had he done to my daughter?”

“From what I managed to coax from Bora, breaking her heart bad.”

“That bastard!” My fist landed on my palm. “I know this boy is up to no good. He looks too weird. His messy hair, his colorful contact lenses, everything in him looks like trouble.”

“You know, of all people, you should be among the last who judge people based on appearances.” Taeyeon smiled, pointing at the tattoo of running heart on the inside of my hand. “With all these tattoos and ever changing hairstyle. You are pretty weird yourself, Kwon Jiyong.”

“But I'm a good man. I don't mess up with girl's heart.” I sighed. “What are we gonna do now? Have you tried to talk to Stephanie?”

“You know your daughter. When it comes to talk about her feeling, her lips are zipped up.”

“But.... this.... We have to do something.” It was frustratingly annoying to not know much about my daughter. I wanted to do something about this stupid heartbreak but I had no idea how.

“For now, let's hope it's just a phase. Sometimes a heartbreak is a necessary part of growing up.”

“That boy better run away whenever he sees me because I will punch him in the face for sure.”

“Don't.” My wife touched my face, smiled wanly. “He might end up to be the love of Stephanie's life. You won't want a son-in-law with dented face."

“Beat me. I won't let him comes close to my daughter ever again.”

“Mom... Dad...” Stephanie smiled hesitantly, seating herself across us at the kitchen table. “May I request something?”

Taeyeon stopped herself from scooping rice into the bowl. I peered over the fashion magazine I was reading. It had been a while since Stephanie came down to the kitchen for dinner without any of us calling her first.

“Depends on what the request is.” I answered carefully, exchanging glances with my wife. We had already talked about doing some kind of interventions since it seemed that Stephanie hadn't recovered well from the heartbreak. She had barely gotten out of her bed this week.

She inhaled deeply first. I could see her bony clavicle as she did so. A tell-tale sign of how she was getting too skinny to be healthy.

“I want to start anew.” She started speaking after closing her eyes for a brief moment, as if gathering her strength. “I want to change my name.”

I was about to ask why but my wife rested her hand on my thigh under the table, stopping me.

“To what, sweetheart?” She asked while resuming scooping rice. So good at pretending that Stephanie's request didn't give her quite a shock like it did to me.

Our daughter looked up at me then at her mother. Determination adorned her eyes but it still didn't help her from stuttering. “Tif...Tiffany...”

At this point I was already itching to ask so many questions. But Taeyeon's glance silently asked me to hold my tongue.

“Beautiful name.” Taeyeon smiled. “Now eat.”

We ate in silence. I finished my meal while my mind was busy trying to wrap around the idea why my daughter wanted to change her name.

“I want to put my past behind me. All the sad ones.” Stephanie suddenly blurted out, setting her chopsticks down then bowed at us. “Please accept this new me.”

“Your past build your future, dear. Sadness and happiness were what make you today.” Taeyeon also set her chopsticks down, staring at her daughter. “But we'll always accept our daughter however she wants herself to be.”

Taeyeon words summed it all up. Stephanie was our daughter, however she decided to call herself shouldn't matter.

I sighed, trying to accept the fact that I couldn't always be in the know of every little thing happened in my daughter's head. “Do you want it to be legal? Your new name.”

“Can I?”

“I can help.” Taeyeon picked her chopsticks up, started eating again. “On one condition though.”

I looked at my wife. Stephanie too. We both waited for her next words with bated breath.

Taeyeon chewed her tempura, gulping down then grinned at us. “Why are you guys looking so serious? I was just about to ask Steph- I meant Tiffany to do the after-dinner dishes for the rest of her life. ”

“Kim Taeyeon.” I glared at my wife. “Hardly the perfect time.”

Our daughter grimaced at her mom. “I don't mind. I'll help in the kitchen more.”

“I was just joking, baby.” Taeyeon reached for her daughter's hand, smiling. “Promise to your worried mother here. Once I got your new name legalized it won't be just be a new name but also 100% a new you. You'll be happier. You'll appreciate yourself more. You'll try to open up a little more to us. Deal?”

“Deal.” Stephanie smiled back at her mother, their fingers entwined on the table. “Thank you, mom. Thank you, Dad.”

“Can I also add my term & condition?” I chimed in.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter