Chapter 5: Fate

Secrets & Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did you receive another text from H?”

Sungmin warily asked Donghae realizing that the latter’s facial expression completely turned sombre after pulling out his phone and looking at it. Donghae glanced at the phone before clearing his throat and shaking his head, laughing a little too awkwardly. Donghae shook his head and then told Sungmin and Ryeowook that it was his mum texting him and that he had to go. Slinging his bag over his shoulders, Donghae got up from his seat.

“Oh right, tell your mum and dad I said hi.” Ryeowook told Donghae, “Your dad left a welcome back gift on my porch last night.”

Both Donghae and Sungmin paled, all the colour leaving their faced. Sungmin was the first to recover as he silently whispered, “Ryeowook…”

“My dad passed away a year ago.”

Ryeowook’s eyes widened, face turning white. He looked from Sungmin to Donghae utterly speechless. “Wh-what?”

“Wh-what was the gift?” Sungmin questioned.

“Flowers, just flowers and a card. But it was signed by your dad. I… I really…” Ryeowook told them and then reached out to squeeze Donghae’s hands. “I’m so sorry, Hae. I didn’t know.”

Sadness clouded Donghae’s features as he half-smiled down at Ryeowook. “It’s okay, Ryeowook. It was a long time ago.”

“Ryeowook,” Sungmin interrupted, looking concerned. “What was written down in the card?”

“Nothing, just a welcome back message.” Ryeowook replied, “Maybe it’s just someone messing with me knowing that I’ve been out of town for a long time.”

“And they’re just flowers right?” Sungmin asked again, “No food or… Anything else?”

“No,” Ryeowook shook his head. “Thank god.”

Donghae released a frustrated sigh, the thought of someone using his tather’s name for such a silly prank. “God, people are so heartless playing pranks like that.”

“They’re idiots,” Sungmin agreed.

Donghae ran a hand over his face, growing more and more exhausted. “Look, I’ve really got to go.”

Sungmin and Ryeowook nodded and waved Donghae goodbye, watching as Donghae disappeared. Returning his attention back to Ryeowook who looked freaked out, Sungmin reached out to squeeze Ryeowook’s shoulder.

“It’s just a silly prank, Ryeowook.” Sungmin ensured Ryeowook. “Don’t think so much about it.”

Ryeowook nodded, exhaling a rough breath. “I know but god, who would do that?”

Sungmin’s eyes then suddenly darted to his phone, “Wait a minute… Ryeowook, do you think H sent that to you?”

“H? Why would it?”

“The same reason it’s sending us anonymous messages?” Sungmin offered, raising his brows.

“And that is?”

“To annoy us? To ruin our lives? To…” Sungmin’s eyes suddenly widened. “To prevent us from finding out the truth?”

“What are you talking about, Sungmin?”

Sungmin grabbed his phone from the table and begun working on it, eyes scanning from left to right over and over again as he scanned the screen. His mind was working in circles realizing that there was something about this whole thing that did not add up. There had to be a reason as to why the three of them were getting messages from this H person. When Ryeowook repeated his question, Sungmin answered.

“What if H is the person who was in the video? The one we saw in Classroom 10?” Sungmin whispered closely to Ryeowook. “What if H killed Heechul? Think about it Ryeowook… Someone was with Heechul that night, filming him and then he held up a gun and he must have shot Heechul and killed him.”

“Heechul knew H. They’re close enough to be taking videos of each other.” Sungmin continued, “Maybe… That’s how H knew stuff about us. Heechul must have told him. And I’m just going to assume that H’s a him because of the voice in the video. I couldn’t hear it clearly but… I’m sure it’s a guy.”

Ryeowook’s face was blank as he processed this and then his expression lit up. “Oh my god! It all makes sense!”

“But Sungmin, If H really killed Heechul” Ryeowook’s face fell. “Why would he send that video?”

Sungmin thought about this for long and then read out one of H’s text, “The truth won't set you free, lost lambs. Try me and I'll bury you with it.”

“This was sent right after you mentioned telling the police. Did you notice that?”

When Ryeowook shook his head, Sungmin continued. “Heechul’s body was found. Maybe H’s afraid that the police will find out that he did it…… But it doesn’t make sense. All of us admitted that we received H’s text before Heechul’s body was found.”

Ryeowook groaned, fingers massaging his temples. “This is giving me a headache.”

Sungmin bit his lips, knowing just how complicated this was getting. “I think… For now, we should lay low and stay quiet about this. If H really is the person who killed Heechul… Then we shouldn’t be messing with him. It’s senior year and I really have no plans of being buried before I get into college.”

Ryeowook cracked a smile, “Are you still aiming for Law School?”

“You’re not a member of the Lee family if you don’t get into Law School.” Sungmin then looked down at his phone and then came up with a lie, “Ah, my sister’s picking me up soon for dinner and I’ve to get some books from my locker before she arrives. Do you need a ride home?”

“No, it’s okay.” Ryeowook smiled, “Thanks for the offer.”

“Do you still walk to school now?” Sungmin asked curiously knowing that Ryeowook lived a few blocks away from school and he used to like walking because it was more convenient than driving or biking since Ryeowook was scared of bikes, speed and heights… And a lot of other things.  

Ryeowook nodded, grabbing his bag and slinging it over his shoulders. “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow?”

Sungmin nodded, “Call me if anything comes up!”

Once Ryeowook had turned around and started walking off school grounds, Sungmin watched him quietly and then turned around back into the school building, walking past the cafeteria, the library and the lockers. He kept his eyes open, praying silently that he’d find who he was looking for. Luck must be on his side for once when he spotted the familiar man in a classroom, looking at his laptop. Scanning across the empty hallways, Sungmin made sure that no student was in sight before he pulled open the door and slipped inside quietly. The man jumped in surprise by the sudden intrusion but when his eyes met Sungmin’s, he relaxed a little.

“Mr. Lee, what can I do for you?”

Sungmin narrowed his eyes, “Quit that crap, Yesung.”

“Or is that even your real name?” Sungmin asked with venom in his voice.

The maroon-haired Yesung, or rather now known as Mr. Kim, lips quirked up. “My real name is Kim Jongwoon. But close friends and lovers call me Yesung.”

Sungmin shook his head in denial. He knew the town was small but of all things that could have happened, of all coincidences that could have happened to him, why did it had to be this one? Sungmin couldn’t believe that the guy he… He had a freaking one-night-stand with ended up to be his English teacher! This was a nightmare.

“I can’t believe you lied.” Sungmin shook his head, “You said that you were not that much older than I am.”

“I’m not.” Yesung simply answered, “I graduated from university early.”

“And you’re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter