Chapter 19: One Way to Find Out

Secrets & Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you sure you really have to go?”

Kyuhyun questioned, arms wrapped around Ryeowook’s waist. Ryeowook nodded, sighing. He had received an urgent call from Sungmin asking him to meet up. As much as Ryeowook wanted to say no, he knew that whatever it was it must have been important. Ryeowook kissed his boyfriend’s cheeks and then grabbed his jacket.

“I’m sorry we didn’t end up eating.” Ryeowook apologized. “You must be starving.”

“I’ll just order pizza or something. Besides,” Kyuhyun grinned as he leaned down and peck Ryeowook’s lips. “I don’t need food when I already know that you’re mine now.”

“Aren’t you a smooth talker?” Ryeowook shook his head with a smile on his lips, as Kyuhyun leaned down once more to press his lips against Ryeowook’s. Just as they were about to deepen the kiss, a car honk sounded from outside and Ryeowook pulled away, sighing.

“That must be Sungmin.” Ryeowook whispered.

Kyuhyun frowned but nodded in understanding as he released Ryeowook and walked him to the door. Ryeowook gave Kyuhyun a quick kiss, waving at him and promising to call before he stepped out of the house and into the backseat of Sungmin’s car. It seemed Sungmin had also called up Donghae and picked him up since he was sitting in the passenger seat next to Donghae. Sungmin then begun driving and drove into in an empty carpark by the park a few metres away from all the houses.  

“What’s going on?” Ryeowook asked as Sungmin turned around in his seat once he was done parking. “Minnie, you look pale. Are you okay?”

“Wookie,” Donghae took a deep breath. “Kangin’s dead.”

“What?” Ryeowook gasped.

“H killed him and we’re next.” Sungmin told Ryeowook handing him the piece of paper he had found at Kangin’s place. Sungmin continued, noticing that Ryeowook was speechless after reading the note. “I dropped by his place to ask him some questions about Heechul but when I knocked, no one answered and so I entered his house since it wasn’t locked. His body was… In the living room. Someone had stabbed him with a knife. I found the note and… A mask of… Your face.”

Ryeowook’s jaw dropped. “My face?”

“Yes, remember when we went to the art studio? The man wanted to make a mould out of your face for exchange of information.” Sungmin continued when Ryeowook nodded frantically. “Before calling the both of you, I went back to the art studio to ask the man if anyone had bought your mask but… The Art Studio had closed down.”

“What? You mean… The man’s gone?”

“Yeah, it’s some kind of pet shop now and when I asked the owner if he knew where the Art Studio moved to, the owner said that the man had went bankrupt but he doesn’t know where he is now.”

“Damn,” Donghae exhaled roughly, “So what did you do with the mask?”

“It’s in my trunk.” Sungmin replied, voice shaking. “I… Imagine if the police arrived before I did and found the mask… I don’t know what would have happened. But I don’t know what to do with it now either.”

“Burn it.” Donghae quietly urged, “We’ve to get rid of it.”

Ryeowook nodded in agreement, all the colour drained out of his face. “So… What about Kangin?”

“I… I don’t know. I panicked and just left.”

Ryeowook then swallowed as he shuddered, “I… I think we should go to his place.”

“Are you out of your mind?” Sungmin and Donghae asked at the same time, voices raising high.

“We have to! We have to call the police and inform them about him.”

“What if the police wants to know what we were doing there in the first place?” Donghae questioned, hitting Ryeowook’s head, “We’re going to be dead!”

“We can tell them that we were just stopping by to have a talk with him and found that the door wasn’t locked.”

“That’s lying,” Sungmin pointed out. “I don’t know about you guys but I’m kind of sick of lying here and there.”

“Come on, guys. We’ve to do it before Kangin’s parents finds out about this. I… I can’t imagine how they would feel if they found their son dead with their own eyes. At least… if we were to report it first, and brought Kangin’s body to the hospital then… I don’t know… Maybe it wouldn’t be so hard on them.”

The boy’s expression softened as they realized the good intentions Ryeowook had. Truly, Ryeowook was an angel wanting to always protect everyone’s feelings. Sungmin and Donghae exchanged glances and then Sungmin sighed as he turned the ignition to his cars.

Sundming decided, if he was going to really die in H’s hands, then maybe he should start doing some good deeds.

***

“What… The… ”

Sungmin’s eyes went round as he speechlessly entered Kangin’s house. It wasn’t locked and so the three of the boys entered the house without any problem. But that was not what surprised them. What surprised and frightened the boys at the same time was that Kangin’s living room was spotless. It was clean – the furniture had been arranged neatly, there were no trace of any blood on the floor and …. Kangin’s body was missing. It looked like nothing happened.

“Uh… Guys….” Donghae’s lower lip trembled. “Is it just me or is there no dead body at all right here?”

Sungmin blinked and then walked around the living room, “I swear to god! His body was right here! Kangin was murdered!”

“If he was, then where the hell is his body?” Donghae questioned, raising his voice as he started looking pale.

“Minnie,” Ryeowook begun as he looked around the house, “Could… Could you be hallucinating? Were… Were you drinking before this?”

“No! I swear to god, guys.” Sungmin groaned, “I’m not drunk or on drugs!”

Sungmin took a deep breath to calm himself down. Inside, his emotions were all over the place. But right now, what was important was that he had to prove to his friends that he was not losi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter