Chapter 18: One by One

Secrets & Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wow, what the hell happened to both of you?”

Donghae’s brows drew together as he stared at his two friends who both had a bandage around their foreheads. Sungmin sighed and took a seat next to Donghae. Ryeowook had texted Donghae and told him to meet at their usual spot behind school. It used to be their meet-up place after class in the past back when Heechul was still alive.

“Where have you been?” Sungmin asked, “I haven’t seen you at all in school.”

Donghae shrugged. In truth, he had been with Eunhyuk all the time. He even skipped going to the cafeteria for lunch, opting to eat lunch out at the park with Eunhyuk so that no one could spot them.

“Are you guys alright?” Donghae asked again. “Did something happened?”

Sungmin responded roughly, “Hae, we’re in deep .”

“What’s wrong?”

Sungmin begun telling Donghae of what happened the night before. By the time Sungmin was done with the whole incident, Donghae was speechless. His friends knew that he had kissed Heechul and they seemed pretty… Well, they weren’t judging him. They simply looked past it and Donghae was honestly confused. Why were they not asking him about it? But then again… Between finding out that Heechul had killed someone and Donghae kissing a guy, he guessed the first news was more shocking and therefore, it took the attention off him.

“Do you know who Heechul could have killed?” Ryeowook silently asked.

Donghae thought about it and then shook his head, “Did he not say who it was?”

“He was about to,” Sungmin replied, bitterly, “Until those s attacked us and stole the flash-drive.”

“Have you made a police report about this?”

Ryeowook shook his head, “If we do, the police will ask what’s been stolen and… We can’t tell them about the flash-drive.”

“Why not?”

“Because,” Sungmin took a deep breath and then reminded Donghae, “All our secrets are on that and that includes the Jessica incident.”

“Oh .” Donghae cursed upon realizing what was really going on, pinching the bridge of his nose. “We’re screwed right now. Whoever that has the flash-drive now knows that we did it. , .”

“Who do you think could have broken into your house, Wook?”

Ryeowook hugged himself, shaking his head. “I don’t know. But I think there were two or three of them.”

“Do you think it could have been H?”

“It could.” Sungmin nodded, thinking of the possibility. “I mean… Who else could it be? H’s the only person who knows what we’re up to. H must have known that we stole that flash-drive from Henry.”

“So this H person… there’s more than just one of them?”

Ryeowook nodded his head, “I… I guess so.”

“Heechul said that Krystal used to be H…. Could… Do you think Krystal could still be H now?” Donghae asked.

“Ryeowook and I thought about the possibility.” Sungmin paused then continued explaining, “But we don’t think it could be her. Heechul made her leave town, not us. She has nothing against us.”

“Bull, we’re Heechul’s friends. Of course, she would hate us.”

“But to get revenge against us?” Sungmin questioned Donghae back. “Do you think she would? She’s afraid of Heechul.”

“Heechul’s dead, Min.” Donghae then laughed bitterly, “Why would Krystal hold back now that the one person she’s afraid of is dead?”

“Okay, fine, let’s pretend that H is Krystal, so if she was H, then how did she knew about all our secrets? How did she know that Ryeowook moved to New York when she wasn’t in town? H sent Ryeowook a welcome back gift and signed if after your dad’s name. How did she know that your dad had passed away and purposely signed it after your dad’s name?”

Donghae’s shoulder slumped as he thought about it. Sungmin was right. Krystal wouldn’t know half of the things H knew. It was impossible for the girl to be H. Plus, she had no friends and Sungmin mentioned that there were more than one person working together as H. The only person that hung out with Krystal was Jessica and she was blind. From the sound of it, the attackers knew what they were doing and they had purposely hurt Ryeowook and Sungmin. It couldn’t have been Jessica then. Even if that girl could sniff the hell out of someone, it would be impossible for her to be able to attack someone due to her blindness.

“So… What are we going to do now?” Donghae asked, weakly. “Do we just… Wait until H kills us.”

Ryeowook chuckled darkly at this, “It sounds like it’s really the end.”

There was dead silence between the trio, all of them staring emptily at each other.

“It’s like we’re going around in the same circle over and over again but we don’t know what we’re looking for.” Sungmin finally said, breaking the silence.

Donghae’s phone vibrated, startling all of them. Donghae picked it up from the table and the boys held their breath, nervous. But Donghae read through his text with a smile and they visibly relaxed.

“I’ve got to go, guys.” Donghae said with a sigh.

“Well, it’s nice to see that you can at least smile despite all the going on,” Sungmin dryly commented.

“Who is it from?” Ryeowook questioned, a little curious.

“Well… Ah…. It’s… It’s Eunhyuk.”

Sungmin studied Donghae and raised his brows while Ryeowook waited patiently like they were expecting Donghae to add on more to what he had just said.

“No more secrets, Hae.” Sungmin warned Donghae and then looked from him to Ryeowook. “We know all of yours already so there’s nothing to hide anymore.”

Donghae’s lips suddenly quivered, feeling overwhelmed. If he told them about Eunhyuk… Then there was no turning back around. If he came out of the closet, there was no way he could hide in it back again. But this was Ryeowook and Sungmin… His old friends. Could he trust them? Yes, yes of course he could. But why was it still so hard to fess up to them that he was finally with Eunhyuk now?

Ryeowook reached across the table and squeezed Donghae’s hands. “Hae, are you… Are you dating Eunhyuk?”

“I…” Donghae swallowed, nervously and then lowered his head. “I am.”

“Oh Donghae!” Ryeowook squealed and then got up and reached across the table, surprising Donghae with a hug. Donghae awkwardly hugged him back, unsure of what kind of reaction this was.

“I’m so proud of you,” Ryeowook admitted, moving back to his seat once he broke the hug.

“Wh.. What do you mean?” Donghae asked, “You mean… You aren’t surprised? Or… Disgusted?”

“Why would we be?” Sungmin asked, “There’s nothing to be ashamed of if you’re biual, Hae. We’re just proud that you finally embraced it.”

“You don’t find it weird at all?”

“I do. I mean… I always thought you were straight. But I kind of suspected that you had a crush on Eunhyuk. You treat him differently and it’s sweet.” Ryeowook patted Donghae’s hands, “Sungmin and I figured it out almost immediately after we found that you kissed Heechul. We realized that that was probably why you were missing last night. You were with Eunhyuk, weren’t you?”

When Donghae nodded, Ryeowook smiled dreamily. “You guys make a cute couple.”

When there was another vibration from Donghae’s phone, Sungmin chuckled. “We’ll continue this later. It looks like Eunhyuk is waiting for you.”

“We’re just going to have soccer practise.” Donghae explained to them shyly.

“Oh, is he planning to go for the try-out?”

Donghae nodded proudly and Ryeowook grinned, “That’s so cute! You’ll both be on the same team!”

Sungmin chuckled too and Donghae rolled his eyes at both his friends. He got up and told them to text him if anything else came up and promised that he wouldn’t ignore their calls the next time before leaving. Once Donghae had left, Ryeowook got up as well.

“I’ve got to go too, Minnie.” Ryeowook told Sungmin. “Will you be okay in your own?”

Sungmin nodded. “Where are you off to?”

This time, a flush crept up the smaller man’s face. “I… Um… I… Um… I was thinking of meeting Kyuhyun.”

Sungmin nodded in understanding. From what he knew, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun liked each other and from Heechul’s personal blogs, it seemed that Kyuhyun had a crush on Ryeowook even when Heechul and Kyuhyun were together. He never saw that coming to be honest. Ryeowook and Kyuhyun were complete opposites. But then again, that would probably explain why Heechul never allowed Kyuhyun to hang out with all of them during their sleepovers but outings. Heechul must have felt jealous of Kyuhyun being so hung up on Ryeowook. Now that was a new one. Heechul being jealous of Ryeowook. You would never think that a day like that would come.

“Will you be okay on your own?” Ryeowook questioned.

Sungmin felt a bitter pang in his heart as he faked a smile. “Of course, Wookie.”

Ryeowook nodded and then waved goodbye, leaving Sungmin alone. He sighed. Donghae had gone off with his boyfriend. Ryeowook was going to meet Kyuhyun. It seemed he was the only person without a love interest here. And it because things were going so well with Yesung until H came into the picture. Now, he was forced to avoid Yesung.

They had no English today and Sungmin was thankful that he didn’t bump into Yesung anywhere in school. Yesung had texted him a couple of times asking if he wanted to meet but Sungmin ignored those messages, painfully deleting them one after another. Sungmin had no idea how he was going to face his lover tomorrow during class. It was hard having your love interest as your teacher, but Sungmin had a bitter feeling that it was going to be much harder having your ex-love interest as your teacher now.

Deciding that he should probably get home, Sungmin was about to rise from his seat when a voice stopped him.

“Going somewhere?”

Sungmin squeezed his eyes shut. Oh . He looked up and his heard did a double flip. . It was Yesung.

“Hey Sungmin.” Yesung greeted in a professional tone. “What were you doing out here?”

Sungmin avoided Yesung eyes, “I… I was just leaving, Mr. Kim.”

Before Sungmin could leave, Yesung took a seat and Sungmin’s eyes grew wide. “You can’t sit with me. We’re on school property. People might see us.”

“Take out a book, Min.” Yesung calmly told Sungmin.

Sungmin did as he said, pulling out a Chemistry book and flipping it open. Both of them looked down at the book but Sungmin knew that Yesung probably had no intention of having a talk related to science.

“What happened to your head?” Yesung quietly asked, eyes looking over the bandaged area for a moment before looking at the book.

“I… Ah… It was just a fall.” Sungmi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter