Chapter 1: - H

Secrets & Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sapphire Gates.

Ryeowook never thought he’d be back.

The small town of Sapphire Gates was always deceptively very quiet. Life here was slow-paced compared to Ryeowook’s crazy life in New York. For once in three years, there weren’t people walking into Ryeowook or rushing past him. There weren’t the sound of vehicles honking at each other and there wasn’t polluted air being in his chest. Ryeowook had to admit, he missed the life in Sapphire Gates, he missed being around so little people and missed the cosy personal setting of the small town.

But it was bittersweet to be back.

Sapphire Gates held a lot of memories Ryeowook wished he had longed forgotten.

As his family drove through small houses to get back to their old house, Ryeowook’s eyes caught sight of a familiar yellow painted house and his heart started pounding. Ryeowook was only just that strong, he couldn’t handle it. Sinking down further against the backseat, Ryeowook covered his eyes and took a deep breath. The house, he knew that house like the back of his hands.

It was the Kim’s place.

It was Kim Heechul’s house. 

New York was a gateway for Ryeowook. He didn’t only move because his father had gotten a job there. No, there was another reason for his family moving to New York for three years. His family decided to move to New York for him so that he could continue living a healthy life. A life without having his dead best friend’s name mentioned in every conversation he had or without being known by everyone as “Heechul’s friend.”

In New York, Ryeowook could pretend that he didn’t know Heechul. He could pretend that none of his past mattered, no one knew or cared anyway. But he’d be lying if he said that Heechul didn’t cross his mind at all. In truth, Heechul was still a friend of his and losing someone close to you was never easy. Just ten minutes after arriving back in Sapphire Gates and Ryeowook could already hear Heechul’s witty comments and demonic laugh and although his heart ached, Ryeowook wiped the tears that had escaped from his eyes and a sad smile tugged on his lips.

Ryeowook always loved Heechul’s laughter.

***

“Here, let me help you with that.”

Ryeowook’s father offered a hand with a box of clothes Ryeowook was carrying up to his room. They carried the box up the stairs and then to Ryeowook’s empty room, settling it down in the middle of it. Ryeowook wiped the dirt off his pants against his jeans, looking around. His old room was exactly how he had left it before he left but yet, everything felt foreign to him. Ryeowook’s father’s looked around the room too, smiling at Ryeowook as he pointed of a poster of a boy-band group Ryeowook had hung on his closet a few years ago.

“What happened to them?” His father asked, “You stop talking about them.”

Ryeowook’s expression dulled as he walked over to the poster and tore it out from the wall carefully. “Guess I grew up.”

Ryeowook’s father laughed lightly, “Whenever Heechul came over, the both of you would keep playing their music videos all day long. I still remember those times where I’d have to tell you to keep it do-”

“Dad,” Ryeowook interrupted him. “I think I hear mom calling me.”

“Wookie, I’m sorry.” His father’s smile faded, “I know how hard it must be for you to be back. Heechul was your best friend.”

Ryeowook took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, sinking down on his bed. It was always hard, talking about Heechul. It would always be not because it hurt him, or saddened him. But Heechul’s disappeared… Confused Ryeowook. He was sad, of course he was. Heechul was his best friend. But… Ryeowook was also kind of… As much as he hated to say it, Ryeowook was relieved that Heechul was gone. Heechul kept his dark secrets, secrets that could tear him down, secrets that could destroy his life and even his family. Some of those secret were shared with Heechul while some others, he found them out with Heechul. Heechul knew everything, he always did and Ryeowook was glad that Heechul was gone. Ryeowook didn’t know where he disappeared to after the night he last saw him and although he was worried, he was still a little bit relieved kowing that sis secrets would at least be safe with Heechul, wherever Heechul was.

Ryeowook’s ears perked at his mother calling his name for help with the other boxes to be moved into the house. He got up and started to head to the door before his father called his name, stopping him. Ryeowook turned around, tilted his head.

“What’s wrong, dad?” Ryeowook asked.

“Ryeowook,” His father begun. “I know you’re not comfortable with being back. With Heechul’s death and what happened between-”

“Heechul isn’t dead, dad.” Ryeowook corrected him, “We don’t know it yet.”

“I know you’re not comfortable with Heechul being missing,” His father corrected himself, “And with what you saw before we left for New York. But I need to know-”

“I won’t tell mum.” Ryeowook whispered, cutting his father off. He already knew what his father wanted to talk about anyway. “I keep my promises, dad.”

Ryeowook’s father forehead creased as he slowly nodded. He looked over at his son, guilt swimming in both their eyes and then turned around to head out of the room. Before he could reach the door however, Ryeowook called after him. “Dad,”

“Yeah?”

“You never told me why.” Ryeowook’s voice was thick with emotions. “Why did you do it?”

“It’s complicated, Wookie.” Ryeowook’s father took a deep breath. “Just… Know that… I love your mother. And this family…. And I never meant to hurt anyone. It’s complicated but it won’t happen again, Ryeowook. I promise.”

Ryeowook gave his father a nod and a hopeful faint smile hoping that it would express all the words that he couldn’t say out right to his own father. Ryeowook wanted his father to know that he trusted him and that the fate of their family were in both their hands. Ryeowook wanted to tell his father that things were going to be okay. Ryeowook’s father squeezed his shoulders before turning around to leave. Ryeowook was about to follow after him when he felt a vibration in the back of his jeans. Curious of who it was, RYewook pulled his phone out of his jeans and read through it. His eyes widened in surprised and Ryeowook glanced around the room and out of the hallways. No one was there. He rushed back to his room and closed the door behind him, holding the phone close to his chest and reading it again… What was going on? Who was the person that sent this text?

Life isn’t complicated, but your dad surely is. Do you know what they say about promises, darling? They’re meant to be broken.

-H

***

“Oh my god,”

Sungmin’s eyes widened at the highly offensive image of Seohyun and a guy making out intensely on the kitchen counter. He couldn’t see who the guy was since Seohyun’s thick brown hair was all over him. When his sister heard him cursing, Seohyun quickly released her hold on the guy and like as if being shot, Sungmin froze in place as he looked at the familiar guy Seohyun had been kissing. .

“Hey Minnie,” Yunho greeted, with a half smirk. “It’s good to see you again.”

Sungmin nodded, dumbfounded. He looked from Yunho and then to his sister who still had her arms around Yunho while she adjusted herself on Yunho’s lap. This was…. Awkward…. And random. Seohyun broke up with Yunho a year ago, breaking off the engagement shortly after Seohyun admitted to having lost their baby to miscarriage. Gathering himself, Sung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter