Prequel: The Night Heechul Disappeared

Secrets & Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three Years Ago...

“Heechul, why is your brother walking around -”

Doghae paused when he realized that there were two pairs of eyes staring at him and neither which belonged to Heechul. He frowned looking around the room - Heechul wasn’t here again. Only Kim Heechul would invite them to a sleepover and actually not be there in attendance.

“Where’s Heechul?” Donghae asked, setting the boxes of pizzas onto the counter of the kitchen of Heechul’s house.

“Said he needed to get something.” Sungmin shrugged his shoulders effortlessly and then eyed the pizza boxes, “Did he ask you to get all of those?”

 Donghae nodded, “Why do we need eight boxes of pizzas again?”

The black-haired boy shook his head, pursing his lips as he pushed up his glasses up his nose and then shifted his attention back to his laptop. Donghae glanced at the screen of the computer and shook his head, idly wondering what kind of person brought school work to a friend’s sleepover and then thought that if it was anyone that would do such a thing, it would definitely be Lee Sungmin. Sungmin was probably doing next month’s extra credit assignment too. He was a genius like that.

“Are they all Hawaiian?” A tiny voice asked from next to Donghae.

Donghae glanced to his side to a chubby messy-haired Ryeowook, snooping around the boxes. The boy smiled sheepishly before he took a slice of pizza from the box and started chewing on it. Ryeowook moaned and closed his eyes, lips tugged into a satisfied grin. Ryeowook always loved food, especially Hawaiian Pizza, it was like his life.

As Ryeowook and Sungmin did their own thing – one typing like a maniac on his laptop and another eating pizza like there was no tomorrow – Donghae watched them quietly. Now that he realized, all of them were complete opposites of each other. Sungmin was the genius, Ryeowook was the quiet and shy one, Donghae himself was the sporty and the only one who wasn’t gay in their group while Heechul was… Well Heechul was the kings of all kings.

The four of them got close a year ago. Heechul brought them all together and from then on, they had been the it boys in school and even in town. Everyone knew Kim Heechul in this small town and if you were friends with Kim Heechul, you were considered just as highly as Kim Heechul. No one dared to mess with them because let’s face it, no one dared to mess with Heechul. Heechul would make life a living hell for anyone who dared crossing him.

But now that Donghae looked at it, he realized that Heechul was what was keeping them together. Without Heechul around, Donghae was just awkward around Sungmin and Ryeowook and he knew that the other two felt the same way too. Donghae couldn’t even remember what he thought of Sungmin and Ryeowook before he met them or what they even looked like. He probably walked past them in hallways or had some classes with them but never really bothered about them. The three of them did their own thing silently before a loud crash sounded off outside and then accompanied with a loud shrilling scream.

“What was that?” Sungmin asked, standing up and looking around.

“That sounded like Heechul,” Ryeowook’s face paled.

 Donghae shuffled to the large windows and peeped outside with Ryeowook towing after him. When he couldn’t spot anything, Donghae pushed open the door only to be pushed back by strong arms. Donghae stumbled backwards, landing on something soft and squishy. Donghae blinked disorientated for a second before realizing that he had landed on Ryeowook who was whimpering in pain under him. Donghae quickly scrambled off him, checking to see if the boy was alright.

“Oh god, are you okay?” Donghae asked and then breathed a sigh of relief when Ryeowook nodded. He narrowed his eyes at culprit who had pushed him down and was now laughing hysterically at them. “What the hell, Heechul!”

Kim Heechul, blonde, fair and almost prince-like, was laughing hysterically at them. He was in his usual red leather jacket and crazy printed pants. “Come on, you got to admit that was hilarious! You should have seen your faces!”

Donghae clicked his tongue, pushing himself up and then reaching out to help Ryeowook up. Ryeowook chewed on his bottom lip, looking at Heechul gloomily. “We thought you were in trouble.”

“Kim Heechul never gets in trouble, darling.” Heechul brushed them off, walking towards the kitchen counter to grab a slice of pizza. He looked down at the pizza before looking up at smirking and winking at Ryeowook, “Thought we might need eight pizzas since you’re here, Chunky Wookie.”

Donghae watched as Ryeowook flinched at that nickname. Donghae personally hated it. It was rude and he tried telling Heechul that it was offensive and Ryeowook always looked hurt whenever he called him that. But Heechul never listened. Of course he never did. Sungmin finally shut his laptop and joined the rest of them, grabbing a seat next to Heechul.

“Where were you?”

Heechul shrugged his usual easy shrug that told people that he had no s given for the world. “I broke up with Kyuhyun.”

“What?” Donghae and Sungmin asked in union.

“Why?” Ryeowook asked, dropping the pizza he was eating. Wait a minute… Was this his fifth slice of pizza?

“He’s a .” Heechul answered. “The end.”

“He cheated on you?”

“Yeah but where’s the surprise?” Heechul questioned, not a hint of betrayal of heartbrokenness on his face. “I knew what I was getting into.”

Heechul chuckled darkly, eyes sweeping across Donghae and then Sungmin and then to Ryeowook who had stopped eating and was looking paler and paler every second. “What’s the matter, Chunky Wookie? Lost your appetite? Never thought a day like this would come.”

Ryeowook shook his head quickly and then started tapping his fingers on the kitchen counter, voice cracking slightly as he said, “Do you.. I mean… Do you know who he cheated…  with on you.. I mean… Who he cheated on you with?”

“Oh honey if I knew,” Heechul grinned and winked at Ryeowook, “That person would already be dead right now.”

***

“Truth or dare.”

Sungmin leaned against the headboard of the bed, eyes dropping as he yawned for the nth time that night. He was never a fan of sleepovers. It disrupted his daily sleep schedule. But ever since he made friends with Heechul, Ryeowook and Donghae, they were always having these weekly sleepovers and staying up all night watching movies or gossiping about the latest happenings in school. Today, Heechul thought that it would be a good idea to play truth or dare.

“Truth,” Ryeowook picked, narrowing his eyes. “The last time we played this game and I picked dare, you made me eat five packets of uncooked ramen in sixty seconds. Truth will be a piece of cake!”

Donghae and Sungmin laughed, thinking back about that night. It was hilarious, Ryeowook trying to stuff as many uncooked noodles into his face. But Sungmin had to admit, it was kind of uncalled for. The poor boy had a bad case of food indigestion the next morning.

“Food, food, food. That’s all you ever think about, don’t you?” Heechul sung with an unreadable expression on his face before he continued on with the game, “Ever kissed someone before?”

Sungmin watched Ryeowook’s face paled and then he started tapping his fingers on his thighs. The boy had been doing that for nearly all night now, Sungmin observed. But what confused Sungmin even more was Heechul’s question. All of them knew that Ryeowook never had a boyfriend before and this wasn’t the first time they played truth or dare. Sungmin vaguely remembered Ryeowook mentioning that he had never been kissed or hit on before because of his size. Ryeowook was a little big, Sungmin had to admit but come on, he was adorable. Why wouldn’t anyone like him?

“I told you,” Ryeowook said, “I’ve never been kissed.”

“Oh, that’s right. I forgot you’re the one who’s never kissed anyone.” Heechul said almost in a mocking like tone before he turned to face Sungmin. “I guess I mixed up with the one who kisses everyone.”

Sungmin’s jaw tightened. God, what was Heehcul saying? Quickly clearing his throat, Sungmin tapped Donghae’s shoulder. “Donghae, it’s your turn!”

“Okay!” Donghae jumped up, excited now that he was doing anything other than watching. “Since everyone’s been going with truth, I’ll go with dare.”

Ryeowook was about to suggest a dare when Heechul cut him off, “I dare you to kiss Sungmin.”

All heads snapped to Heechul who was smirking his usual devious trademark smirk. Everyone knew that Donghae was straight, he was the only straight one between the four of them. Every time they talked about the guys they dated or kissed, Donghae would have this uncomfortable green look on his face which was sometimes, pretty hilarious. Sungmin watched as Donghae fiddled with his shirt, stuttering to say something.

“Chul, you know he’s uncomfortable with this and I’m uncomfortable with this too.” Sungmin warned Heechul. “Just come up with a different dare.”

“Oh come on, it’s just a kiss.” Heechul rolled his eyes.

“Heechul, Donghae’s as straight as he can be.” Ryeowook giggled, “Straight guys won’t kiss other guys.”

Heechul eyed Donghae, lips still in his trademark smirk while Sungmin noticed Donghae seemed to be avoiding Heechul’s eyes. Weird. Donghae would usually laugh everything off. He was the type of person who found every little thing funny. Sungmin expected Donghae to burst in a fit of rowdy laughter right about now at how awkward everything was suddenly becoming but he just continued looking every

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter