Chapter 23: Karma

Secrets & Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungmin grunted in annoyance.

How was it possible that there was no one with the name of Leeteuk in the system? Sungmin glared dully at the lady while Yesung tried explaining to the her that Leeteuk had been admitted into this sanatorium about six to seven years ago. They were at Sapphire Sanatorium, a small mental institution which Yesung was confident that Leeteuk had been admitted to. Yesung had even visited Leeteuk once so he knew that it was impossible that they didn’t have Leeteuk’s records in their system. The lady working at the information counter looked like she was about to pull her hair, annoyed and frustrated that Sungmin and Yesung refused to believe her.

“There is no one in this institute with that name, sir.” She explained, gritting her teeth.

“Perhaps… What about Park Jungsu?” Yesung tried again. “Yeah, that’s right. That’s his real name.”

The lady typed into her computer. Her expression suddenly stiffened. She blinked a few times, eyes scanning from left to right as she stared at the screen of the computer. She then cleared and then shook her head, “There is no one with that name too. Sir, I think you must have the wrong hospital.”

“Are you sure? There’s only one mental institute in this town and he was admitted for hallucination.” Yesung argued back, forehead creasing.

There was no point in arguing. Sungmin had been observing her and he noticed the sudden shift in her body posture and her facial expression when she typed in Leeteuk’s real name on her computer. Something was definitely written on the screen but… What could it be?

Yesung sighed as he pushed away from the counter, finally giving up when the lady threatened to call security if Yesung didn’t stop asking her the same damn questions. Yesung stepped towards Sungmin who was still watching the lady like a hawk.

“Something’s not right,” Yesung whispered. “I swear Leeteuk was admitted here.”

“Do you remember his ward or room?” Sungmin asked, finally taking his eyes off the lady to look at the handsome marooned-haired man.

“No, I don’t.” Yesung blew out his cheeks and then loudly expressed his thought, “Do you think he could have been moved to somewhere else? Leeteuk was on a drugs, he didn’t exactly have any mental illness. Maybe he was sent to a rehabilitation centre?”

“If he did, she would tell us about it.” Sungmin pointed out, “Even if Leeteuk wasn’t found to have any mental illness and was moved, the information should all be in his medical records. And by law, medical records in Sapphire Gates have to be kept for at least ten years.”

“How do you know that?” Yesung asked, raising his brows in amusement.

“I’m aiming for Law School, so… ” Sungmin shrugged, the rest of it should be self-explanatory.

Yesung then smiled sheepishly, “One of the reason why I’m completely in love with you, you’re incredibly smart.”

Sungmin looked away, a flush creeping up his cheeks. Damn it, Yesung.

“I know a way we can find out the truth,” Yesung suggested.

“How’s that?”

“I know where his mother lives.” Yesung revealed, “Back when I visited Leeteuk, Leeteuk’s mother was also visiting him. I offered to drop her off at her place after the visit.”

“Great!” Sungmin grinned, nodding his head. “We can ask her about Leeteuk’s condition and find out more about Leeteuk at the same time.”

“But she lives out of town. She moved to Blue World because she got a job there.” Yesung answered and Sungmin’s smile slowly faded. “It’s a three-hour drive from here.”

“Three hours’ drive?” Sungmin repeated in surprise, and then asked all the questions that immediately filled his thoughts when Yesung announced that Leeteuk’s mother had moved. “And you offered to send her home? What about Leeteuk’s father? And if his mother moved to Blue World, why didn’t she admitted Leeteuk into any of the hospital over there?”

“I couldn’t just leave her alone. Leeteuk’s father died when Leeteuk was young. His mother said that the hospital fees were much cheaper than in Blue World and she admitted that it was just easier to keep Leeteuk here.” Yesung explained. “I didn’t ask why but I suspect that it’s because she’s illiterate and she doesn’t want to go through the hustle of having to do all the paperwork to re-admit Leeteuk into a different hospital.”

Sungmin rubbed his chin. A three-hour drive… Was it worth it? What if Leeteuk’s mother had moved away? The trip would be a complete waste of time and effort. Sungmin glanced at the lady behind the information counter as his brain worked a possible plan to get the information from the computer. There was a way, there always was a solution for every problem.

“Listen, why don’t we head up there?” Yesung proposed the idea, grabbing Sungmin’s shoulder. “Since it’s starting to get dark, we can rent a hotel once we’re there and start investigating in the morning tomorrow.”

Sungmin liked the idea. They could get their answers and at the same time, get away for a day and spend the time together. It was what they needed to figure out where their relationship stood right now. Yesung had expressed his interest in Sungmin despite knowing that he was being threatened. Intead of running away, Yesung stepped up and promised Sungmin that he would protect him.

Sungmin’s phone vibrated in his pocket and he pulled it out, checking the text message he had received from an unknown number. Sungmin held his breath as he read the text.

Min, it’s Donghae. We need to meet asap. I’m using Eunhyuk’s phone.

Sungmin sighed in relief. It wasn’t a text from H, thankfully. Donghae’s phone was at Sungmin’s house and so Donghae must have met up with Eunhyuk and used his phone. Sungmin hurriedly texted Donghae that he would meet him and then glanced up at Yesung.

“Was that H?” Yesung anxiously asked, brows knitted in concern.

“No, it’s not H, don’t worry.” Sungmin assured him, “It’s Donghae. He wants to meet and I think it’s urgent. Yesung… I really want to go with you but… I can’t leave my friends.”

Yesung nodded in understanding, “How about I go up and find out whatever I can about Leeteuk?”

Sungmin bit his lip. He wasn’t so sure about this. “You don’t have to. We can just find out another way to find out more about him.”

“Minnie, there’s no other way.”

Sungmin stared at Yesung and then reluctantly nodded. He would feel better if he were with Yesung, knowing that at least Yesung wouldn’t be alone. “You shouldn’t be involved in this mess. I’m so sorry, Yesung.”

Yesung smiled, hands cupping Sungmin’s cheeks as he took a step closer, “I’m glad that Hangeng told me what he did. I would be miserable if anything ever happened to you, Minnie.”

Sungmin closed his eyes, relaxing against Yesung’s touch. “Promise me that you’ll be okay?”

“Honey, I’m not the one being chased by some psychopath. You’re supposed to be the one doing all the promising.” Yesung chuckled, “Promise me you’ll stay safe?”

Sungmin nodded, “I will.”

“Okay.” Yesung smiled, “I’ll call you once I have any updates of Leeteuk.”

Yesung inched forward and closed the gaps between the both of them, kissing Sungmin on his lips. It was a quick kiss since they were still in the hospital with people surrounding them but it was enough for Sungmin’s heart to burst with so much emotions.

“Do you need a ride back?” Yesung asked since they drove to the sanatorium with Yesung’s car. “I can drop you off to meet Donghae before leaving.”

“It’s alright.” Sungmin shook his head and then lied, “Donghae said that he would pick me up. You should go now before it gets dark.”

“Alright, stay safe alright?”

“You too,” Sungmin tiptoed to kiss Yesung’s cheeks. “Call me once you’re there.”

Yesung nodded and then walked off and when he was completely out of sighed, Sungmin pulled out his phone and called Eunhyuk’s number. Thankfully, Donghae was the one who answered it.

“Why are you with Yesung at Sapphire Sanatorium and why do you have your phone with you?” Donghae demanded to know without even greeting hello to Sungmin.

“Why are you stalking me? I can’t live without my phone, that’s like living without my brain and my brain is very important to me.” Sungmin shot back. “And H probably doesn’t know why we’re here so it should be safe.”

“H knows everything, Min. The tracking device vibrated and Fried Rice appeared on the map for a few seconds and then disappeared but then I saw your arrow with Yesung’s at the Sapphire Sanatorium… Why are you even there in the first place?”

“I wanted to find out more about the N.E.W club members. I tried to research about Leeteuk but found it weird that there wasn’t much news of him online so I called Yesung and we decided to drop a visit to Leeteuk but the staff said that there’s no such person as Leeteuk here.” Sungmin explained, glancing suspiciously over at the lady behind the counter.

“Maybe Leeteuk’s admitted into a different place?”

“No, I don’t think so. I think they’re hiding something, Hae.”

Donghae chuckled half-heartedly over the phone, “There’s too many damn secrets in this town, isn’t there?”

“And that’s why we’re uncovering them.” Sungmin told him, “Now quit talking and meet me here.”

“Alright, alright. I’m gonna hang up now, okay? I’ll be there fifty minutes.”

***

“Sapphire Sanatorium? What are you going to do there?”

Donghae flinched while Eunhyuk freaked out. God damn it, he knew he should have answered the call somewhere else.

 “Nothing, Sungmin just wants to meet me there.” Donghae lied.

Eunhyuk observed Donghae closely, “Hae, what are you hiding from me?”

Donghae contemplated telling Eunhyuk the truth. Sungmin had told Yesung so why couldn’t he tell Eunhyuk about it, right? Plus, the advantage if he told Eunhyuk the truth was that it would explain to his boyfriend why he was always with his friends more than him most of the time. But right now, there was no time. Sungmin needed him.

“I’ll explain everything when I get back, alright?” Donghae promised, “In the meantime, please help me look after him.”

Donghae glanced over at the couch where Ryeowook had been cuddled up at for the past one hour. The both of them had returned to Donghae’s house after what happened and ever since Ryeowook had been staring emptily with that disheartened expression on his face. Thankfully, Eunhyuk had dropped by to look for Donghae since he saw his car parked in front.

“Is he alright?” Eunhyuk whispered quietly, “What happened to him?”

“It’s Kyuhyun. He…” Donghae trailed off, gesturing with his hands. How was he supposed to explain this one to Eunhyuk?

“He did some things that he shouldn’t.” Donghae admitted, “And they’re dating so… Ryeowook’s kinda… Upset.”

“Upset?” Eunhyuk repeated softly, and then corrected Donghae, “More like demoralized.”

“Yeah,” Donghae agreed, worriedly glancing at Ryeowook. “You’ll keep an eye on him right?”

Eunhyuk nodded, “Sure. He’s your friend and if you’re worried about him, then I should be too.”

“Thank you, babe.” Donghae closed the gap between them and kissed Eunhyuk’s lips. “I’ll be back soon, okay?”

Eunhyuk nodded and kissed Donghae once more before Donghae walked over to the door. Eunhyuk stopped him however by grabbing Donghae’s wrist.

“Hae,” Eunhyuk called out softly.

“Hmmm?”

Eunhyuk shifted from one foot to another. He shifte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter